topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Delete white space  (Read 5843 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Delete white space
« on: January 01, 2020, 09:27 PM »
So, I've taken a screenshot of a window that has a dropdown menu showing (for the docs for my NANY application, in fact!), and I do it over a white background.

Is there a way in SC to use the magic wand to render the selected area as transparent?  Normally I have to open Photoshop just do this.
In SC, I can select the white area, but when I push the delete button, nothing happens.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Delete white space
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 09:55 PM »
Is there a way in SC to use the magic wand to render the selected area as transparent?  Normally I have to open Photoshop just do this.
In SC, I can select the white area, but when I push the delete button, nothing happens.

That's an excellent idea for an easy feature to add.. So basically you just want SC to make the "selected region" transparent, is that right?  That would be very easy to add.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 12:02 AM »
Mouser - YES! (please!)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:13 AM »
 Implemented. Uploading new beta now..

MikleB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • Que?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:16 AM »
G'Day mouser,

Youv'e piqued my interest in this function of making the selected region transparent, as this is something I tend to try and do to backgrounds on a frequent basis.

The big quest is how? Is it easier than deleting an area selected with the magic wand? Does it provide better results? I do have the latest beta installed but I can't find it as either a setting or a menu items.  :(

So please, I'm all ears and eager to be enlightened by any information on this topic.

Thanks in advance, MikleB
Remember, wherever you go... There you are!
-= Sometimes my location is: "YESTERDAY!" =-

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 05:37 AM »
Deleting backgrounds is a function almost always best left to proper image editing tools in all but the most trivial of cases.   So my best advice is to not try to use SC to do this job.  SC makes it easy to configure a proper image editing tool so that you can launch it with one button press, and SC will reload a modified image and preserve any objects, etc.

So bottom line is, use a good image editing tool to remove background stuff!

Having said that, the new function under the "SpecialFx1" menu, labeled "Delete contents of selection..." and you would trigger that after you have made a selection.  Normally you make a selection by simply clicking and dragging out a rectangular region, but you can also engage SC's more complex selection methods, include magic wand, from the Edit -> Selection Mode menu.

Now, while I have advised using a proper image editing application to remove backgrounds, there are two operations commonly done on screenshots (not photos) which SC *IS* good at, and many people don't know about.  These are:

1. Splicing out horizontal or vertical sections of a screenshot.  This is super useful for doing things like removing a banner on a web page screenshot, etc.  And I use this a lot.  SC has a nice quick function for this under the SpecialFx2 menu, labeled "Splice out.."

2. Erasing some text or small item in a screenshot, which sits on a solid background.  Again this is very useful for tweaking screenshots.  You'll find this function labeled "Patch text/contents" under the SpecialFx2 menu.

Both of these functions are fast and easy and blunt force actions that can very very useful when working with screenshots.

MikleB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • Que?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:28 AM »
G'day mouser,

Ok, now I know. I must have missed it when I looked. It was 'late' last night when I went searching.

I don't really use Screenshot Captor to remove backgrounds that often, just ocasionally with the magic wand as this makes it easy to lift out irregular shaped items from a capture. I usually then further process it in a graphics package to get even closr into the subject. I was mainly interested from a new function/methodoly point of view more than anything else and I was wondering where in the menu I might find the new procedure.

I do use the splice feature extensively though. Still learning my way around Screenshot Captor, and have never used it to 'Photoshop' a capture. Never did I imagine that this could be possible so simply, as that menu item is one I haven't used yet.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers again, MikleB

Remember, wherever you go... There you are!
-= Sometimes my location is: "YESTERDAY!" =-

Hilario

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 05:08 AM »
This is unbeleivebal how many things I till discover every day with SC.  :-*
  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 05:32 AM »
 :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 06:31 AM »
This is unbeleivebal how many things I till discover every day with SC.  :-*
  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
in order to discover, understand and memorize everything you need a doctorate degree  :P