topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need Chrome Help: How to auto-open new tab from Address bar?  (Read 10230 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use Firefox a lot as my favorite browser, but lately also found a liking to the new Vivaldi and Iron Chrome derivatives.

One thing I really like about Firefox is, that I can put in an address, press enter and a new tab opens.

I know there is the Alt-Enter keyboard shortcut to accomplish this, but I am so used to the Firefox way, that I always forget it.

I am sure there must be a way to change this behavior. Could someone tell me how?
Regards, Brahman

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need Chrome Help: How to auto-open new tab from Address bar?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Huh? How does that work?

When I type an address into the address bar and press enter, I go to that address in the current tab. As far as I know, this is standard behavior in all browsers, and has been for 20+ years.

It sounds to me like you have an extension installed which gives this functionality.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 02:35 PM »
It's either an about:config setting I changed like 10 years or so ago or tabmixplus, I don't know.
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 02:53 PM by brahman »

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Vivaldi in the Settings only allows you switch between Alt + Enter and Shift + Enter at the moment the way it appears. One workaround at the moment for Vivaldi is to press F2 (Default for Quick Commands.) and type it in that.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:53 PM »
It's either an about:config setting I changed like 10 years or so ago or tabmixplus, I don't know.

If it's a Firefox extension that gives you this functionality, have you tried searching for a Chrome extension that will do this?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 03:17 AM »
One thing I really like about Firefox is, that I can put in an address, press enter and a new tab opens.

If it's a Firefox extension that gives you this functionality

yeah, FWIW it is tabmixplus
Tom

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions.

Most of the time I have at least 2 different browser open.

Browser windows look very similar, and when I want to open a window quickly, I simply enter the URL and press enter. This has kind of become an automatic action, without thinking, albeit in Iron/Vivaldi sometimes with desastrous results.

That's why an F2 or any other solution except pressing enter won't work for me.
Regards, Brahman

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 04:38 AM »
The popularity of Firefox today is connected to extensions like TabMixPlus and RoomyBookmarks.  Apparently the API of other browsers makes these kind of multi-row features more difficult.  And other flexibilities, as above.  Excepting Pale Moon, which is an earlier Firefox fork, enhanced.

Firefox is making some exrension compatibility more difficult lately.  Those two are working fine, Lazarus (runs also on Chrome) is not working for me on the current release.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 03:28 PM »
@wraith808

Thank you for your message.

I now spent quite a while reading these posts only to find out that everyone there says my objective could not be achieved.

Would it not have been much more productive to say: "It can't be done" than to make your readers go through all those lengthy posts in the hope of finding a solution to the problem raised in this thread?

Or: If you did find a solution and I overlooked it, maybe just simply post it here how to do it?
Regards, Brahman

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 11:28 PM »
@wraith808

I now spent quite a while reading these posts only to find out that everyone there says my objective could not be achieved.

Would it not have been much more productive to say: "It can't be done" than to make your readers go through all those lengthy posts in the hope of finding a solution to the problem raised in this thread?

Or: If you did find a solution and I overlooked it, maybe just simply post it here how to do it?

Let me apologize on behalf of all the long-posters.
To prove our sincerity, from now on I'll be there whenever you type an url in the address bar, and duly press the alt button, so that you can always open the url in a new tab, by just pressing enter.
While I'm there, would you like some coffee or some snacks to go with the service?
Also let me apologize once again, for this answer took 4 sentences, one of which was too long.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 04:35 AM »

sometimes links are given as possible leads --
which means, yes, you end up having to do all the reading, because the poster isnt willing to do it for you.
Seems fair enough to me.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 09:04 AM »
@wraith808

I was trying to find some avenues for you to look.  That first one that I linked had some that were said to be alternatives to tabmix plus, and someone else said it was tabmix plus.  And the second one (the direct post I linked to) had what someone coming from tabmix plus had cobbled together to get an approximation to the functionality of tabmix plus.  If you expected me to do the sampling of them in order to give you a solution, then I'm sorry you were misled.  I don't personally care about the address bar opening a new tab.  So I wasn't going to personally do that.  You've been here a while, you should know that people try to help, even if it's to give a clue.  I'm sorry if you found my contribution less than helpful.

In order to link the specific content that I linked to for others that might find it useful and/or want to try the extensions in the specific post's solution:

Ok so far while not ideally the way I would like it to be, that being everything in one tab extension. But these do an ok job. Here is what I have in extensions so far for the things I had listed:

New Tab Redirect: Opening a new tab with new tab button loads www.google.com

TabsPlus: Opening a new tab opens a new tab next to the current tab being viewed

TabsPlus: Open selection from history or bookmarks in a new tab next to current tab being viewed (vs opening in the current tab)

I need a link of this kind to test: Open links that open a new window in a new tab instead

Not covered yet by extensions added: Switch to newly opened tab for all new tabs opened from all sources except for from links

Sexy Undo Close Tab except the restore to original position: Undo closed tabs with a very large closed tab history of at least 100 and restore the tab in it's original position

Vertical Tabs: An all tabs list where I can tap/click on button to scroll through a vertical list of all the tabs currently in the window

No working solution to this one yet the Enable Stacked Tabs in chrome://flags/ might work for some but not for me: Scroll the tab bar by drag left and right or by scroll buttons (chrome appears to have drag and drop move tabs so not sure how both would work)

On the tabs themselves nothing yet but a possible alternative for some would be Tabs Outliner with color options for saved, opened, and active tab in the extensions tab list window but not the tabs in chrome window. About half of this feature of TMP: Highlight unloaded tabs, unviewed tabs, and any other tab other than current one that doesn't fit either of those two descriptions using user defined color and style for text and tab background for each of the 3 types for me this is all tab background color same but unloaded tabs are red italic text, loaded but unread tabs are red not italic text, and ones that fit as other are black text, and current tab is bold black text

I haven't looked for one for this: Lock, protect, and auto reload would be nice but I can live without as I don't use very much. Also display small icon on tab indicating these states

Nothing yet on this feature which sort of ties in with the scroll-able tab bar feature needed: Tabs are of a fixed width and height defined by the user (oh my how I hated tabs shrinking as more were added) I need to be able to read the tab title enough to know what page the tab is

Not sure if it is from the extension but there is an undo closed tab right click on tab in tab bar and Sexy Undo Closed Tab covers the closed tab list: Tab context menu has undo closed tab, undo closed tab list, and lock, protect, reload, auto reload tab; lock, protect, and auto reload feature I can live without

FooTab might be the only possible working solution for not loading tabs that aren't the active tab or later become the active tab during the sessions. I just added this extension prior to posting this so it is untested to see if it provides the desired functionality. With that covered here is the list of all the extensions I currently have added in my attempt to make chrome a complete replacement for the current state of what Firefox does for me:

Adblock Plus
FooTab
New Tab Redirect
Session Buddy (I haven't thoroughly tested this one)
Sexy Undo Close Tab
Tabs Outliner (This one is nice for hierarchy organization of tabs kind of user I'm not sure I will keep this one)
TabsPlus
VerticalTabs

Thanks for your helpful(?) feedback, and I will try to gauge whether the person would like any leads on finding their solution, or would just rather nothing if it's only a lead.  Somehow.  Someway.