topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYplorer is not responding.  (Read 11876 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
XYplorer is not responding.
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:20 PM »
NOTE: This thread was originally a reply in the Windows now has banner ads thread, and was moved here in an attempt to keep that other thread on topic. The original conversation is below:

But maybe it's time to re-evaluate XYplorer and see what all the hubbub is about.

Nope. I still can't do XYplorer. It frequently locks up on me for several seconds at a time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:45 PM by Deozaan »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Re: XYplorer is not responding.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:28 AM »
But maybe it's time to re-evaluate XYplorer and see what all the hubbub is about.

Nope. I still can't do XYplorer. It frequently locks up on me for several seconds at a time.

That sounds like a familiar problem, which usually happens when you access folders on your LAN. Is that the case?

If so, you better take a look at the network configuration of the system you experience this problem on. The TCP protocol is responsible for actual communication over the network and can make Windows wait, giving the user the impression the currently application is doing something badly, while it just waiting for the TCP implementation in Windows before it is allowed to continue.

Of course, if you more than 2 computers/devices in your LAN and this problem occurs on any device while accessing the same shared folder, you better take a look at the device with the share that gives problems.

WiFi connections can introduce high(er) latencies between network nodes at any given moment, which in turn can make Windows wait for the TCP protocol to get things straight again. 

I kept complaining about a shitty connection that I got from the cable provider. Existing connections acted as expected, but whenever a new connection had to be made, a lot of TCP packets not arriving, improperly transmitted etc. A tool like WireShark helped me to prove to several field techs that their connection appeared to be as promised, but in practice wasn't. Several modems later the problem still wasn't fixed, so at the end the company inspected their cable to the server that managed the traffic for my barrio and now the connection really works as advertised.

WireShark proved to be invaluable. Run it on the computer experiencing the problem and when you see a lot of black lines passing through the capture session, while you do your thing on your LAN, your connection is (much) crappier than you think.

Not all file managers treat such problems in the network in the same way. More often than not they make use of a commonly used library for the language they wrote the application in. And that library can treat network mishaps very differently than the one Windows Explorer uses. For all I know, the used library can be more strict (as in: crappy connection == untrustworthy connection == no connection) than the library Windows Explorer uses.

More info about the behavior of the library being used by XYplorer should be asked to the person(s) that wrote XYplorer. If you are interested in such things, of course. Unfortunately applications get the blame for something that (the TCP implementation) Windows itself should be blamed for, because the software author has no control over it.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:47 AM »
That sounds like a familiar problem, which usually happens when you access folders on your LAN. Is that the case?

Nope. Just trying to browse my internal hard drives.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 05:09 AM »
odd,
and you dont have the same problem with other file managers?
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:47 AM »
I had that problem too, on specific machines, which is the reason that I don't use XYPlorer more.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 03:17 PM »
odd,
and you dont have the same problem with other file managers?

Correct.

That's not to say that Windows Explorer never hangs or crashes. But it's pretty rare. Whereas with XYplorer it would be "Not Responding" for several seconds pretty much every time I came back to it after not using it for a few minutes.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:29 AM »
"It frequently locks up on me for several seconds at a time." ??? You should report that at XYplorer's user forum. It's certainly not a known issue. If it can be confirmed it will be fixed quickly. I know because I'm the one who does it. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:29 AM »
"It frequently locks up on me for several seconds at a time." ??? You should report that at XYplorer's user forum. It's certainly not a known issue. If it can be confirmed it will be fixed quickly. I know because I'm the one who does it. :)

Personally, I can't give you any information about why it happens, and that's the reason that I haven't reported it.  It doesn't happen under any circumstances I've been able to suss out.  It just happens enough that I only use it portably on machines that don't have anything installed.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Could it be that a sleeping hard disk wakes up? This can take some seconds, and usually you hear some kind of yawning noise.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Could it be that a sleeping hard disk wakes up? This can take some seconds, and usually you hear some kind of yawning noise.

I don't think that's the cause in my case. Unless it could be caused by any sleeping drive, even one I'm not trying to access. I spend most of my time working with and using files on my 5TB D drive. Most programs that I use read/write to that drive. That's where I'd have XYplorer open to browse my file system probably 95% of the time, so it's unlikely it would be sleeping while I'm actively using my PC. But XYplorer would almost always be "Not Responding" for several seconds, like in the 10-20(+?) second range. Long enough that I'd get too impatient waiting for it and just open Windows Explorer to do what I needed to do.

Then, if I remembered, I'd check XYplorer again to see if it had finally started responding, and usually it would. But it may have taken me another 10-30+ seconds to open Windows Explorer, navigate to the proper directory, and perform whatever operation(s) before I'd check XYplorer again, which is why I'm not really sure how long the lockups last.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:40 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 03:38 PM »

I don't think so.  It's on a variety of machines- I still get it using it portably.  Some are SSDs, and some are Virtual Machines, and like Deo said, I don't experience the same with windows explorer in the same timespan.  It's not long enough to be crippling where I just say "I'm not using it again", but it is long enough that I won't switch out my primary file explorer for it.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Weird that nobody in my forum reports this. And I'm sure they would. They are merciless.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Weird that nobody in my forum reports this. And I'm sure they would. They are merciless.

Maybe they (any others who experience something like this) are all noobs like me who try out XYplorer but aren't emotionally invested in it and can't be bothered to create a forum account and post about it and instead just go back to what they prefer when XYplorer misbehaves.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21 PM »

Well, take it for what it's worth.  I bought a true lifetime sub sight unseen, so I'd love to be able to use it rather than re-upping DOpus every few years, so I'd love to be able to help you.  But without some diagnostic way of getting information, there's no way for me to give you something useful.  If you have a way that I could give you some more info, I'd love to help.  But until then, I've got nothing.  Various OSes (from Windows Server 2003/Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows Server 2012/Windows 10) at sometime when I use the portable version, it does it, and it's when accessing local or network resources.  I've only used the portable version.  That's all the info I have for it.  But the diagnostics would have to be logged all the time when I use it, as it doesn't happen on any regular basis (or enough to get me to stop using it altogether), and I can't afford to replace my file manager with something that might freeze for daily use, so it would probably take a while to get you anything.

Let me know if I can help.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 04:37 AM »
Have you tested the latest version (17.70)? This thing is evolving and, contrary to some others ;), it's usually getting faster with each release.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Have you tested the latest version (17.70)? This thing is evolving and, contrary to some others ;), it's usually getting faster with each release.

That I have not done.  I'll try using it full time on my surface, as I can afford to try there, and let you know what I see.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 01:00 PM »
I also bought a lifetime license without first testing XYplorer, because it was so highly recommended here.

I just launched XYplorer to check which version I had and immediately upon starting it, it was "Not Responding" for about 10 seconds. It's version 17.70.0200.

FWIW, I also just tried closing it and restarting it to see if it would lock up every time I started it up, and that doesn't seem to be the case. It's responsive now on further attempts.

One thing I believe that wraith808 and I have in common is we both use Keybase, which has what may be considered a networked drive. But Windows Explorer never locks up for me on the "This PC" screen while waiting for a response from that, and I rarely actually ever access that drive, and have certainly never attempted to access it in XYplorer (other than it showing up in the list of drives on the This PC screen).

Aside: Maybe this discussion should be split off into a separate thread so as not to derail from the original topic.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 01:17 PM »
I agree this should be discussed in XY's user forum.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Just an FYI - in the new version, only on my surface (though I have the same definitions as on my desktop), contextmenu64 is being detected as a trojan by windows Defender.  I did submit that to microsoft.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 01:40 PM »
I agree this should be discussed in XY's user forum.
He was just saying that it should be split into a different thread, which I agree with.  I don't have an account on your forum, and I try to limit my participation on several different forums - too much of a time sink.  If you don't want to continue here, that's fine.  I'll continue as I have been, and thank you for your time so far.

Deo, I think you can split it into something more descriptive, and DonL can follow if he wishes.  Thanks for your efforts on this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:01 PM by wraith808 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer is not responding.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Deo, I think you can split it into something more descriptive, and DonL can follow if he wishes.  Thanks for your efforts on this.

The discussion of XYplorer has now been moved to its own thread.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 02:56 PM »
FWIW, I use XY and do not see this problem.  Also even though there's obviously no obligation to do so, I think it's completely reasonable for a vendor to suggest that problems with the software be discussed in his forum rather than some other random place on the internet.  If nothing else, the XY forum has a number of very dedicated users who might be able to help in addition to Don.

I think everyone should be aware the Don is a software vendor who puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to support.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 03:31 PM »
Just to add another voice, I also have a lifetime license, and I have also had the "sleepytime" every time I have installed XYplorer (installing the newest release every time I try). Not constantly, but often enough to aggravate me, and it usually occurs soon enough after installation that I get discouraged. And, like Wraith, I can't point to any common circumstances when it happens.

I'll pull down the current version and give it another go, last time I tried was at 16.50. I always liked the interface. :-)
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 05:40 PM »
While we are adding our experiences, my pro up to date version has issues regenerating* thumbnails even with the thumbnail speed setting set as the fastest. Have verified by reading the XYplorer forum (not a member, just as guest) and help files that the thumbnail folder is fine and contains what it should.

*Local or attached device folder with ~1000 images, at program start AND when scrolling down and back up thumbnails are not 'preserved' and take time to regenerate

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 06:05 PM »
FWIW, I use XY and do not see this problem.  Also even though there's obviously no obligation to do so, I think it's completely reasonable for a vendor to suggest that problems with the software be discussed in his forum rather than some other random place on the internet.  If nothing else, the XY forum has a number of very dedicated users who might be able to help in addition to Don.

I think everyone should be aware the Don is a software vendor who puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to support.

Never said it wasn't reasonable.  Didn't ask for support, he jumped in- probably has some filter set up to see when his product is mentioned in other forums.  I was/am perfectly fine with it as is.  That's the difference.

Just to add another voice, I also have a lifetime license, and I have also had the "sleepytime" every time I have installed XYplorer (installing the newest release every time I try). Not constantly, but often enough to aggravate me, and it usually occurs soon enough after installation that I get discouraged. And, like Wraith, I can't point to any common circumstances when it happens.

I'll pull down the current version and give it another go, last time I tried was at 16.50. I always liked the interface. :-)

Be aware of the false positives if you're using Windows defender.  It's crazy to get past them if you get them.  I had to d/l it on the machine that doesn't get it, exclude a folder on the machine that does, and sync to that directory to get it to work.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:19 PM by wraith808 »