topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking at an android tablet  (Read 8277 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking at an android tablet
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:38 PM »
I have an Android Nook tablet currently, but haven't really looked at moving from iOS to Android seriously.  Still not sure that I'm looking to do so, but I am intrigued.

1. Has anyone heard anything about the Chuwi?

http://www.amazon.co...p/product/B019RDTS58

Everything I've seen has been complimentary.. which makes me suspicious.

2. My other choice I'm looking at is the Galaxy Tab E

http://www.amazon.co...Black/dp/B018QAYM7C/

I lose the Windows option, but maybe that's just a disaster waiting to happen.  And I can also get the Nook version.

3. The third choice I'm looking at is the Nexus 9

http://www.amazon.co...White/dp/B00M6UC6LI/

It's a bit more expensive.  And I don't know why it's worth the added expense.

Any ideas on any of these three?  Or any others that would be suggested?

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking at an android tablet
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:36 PM »
If you're looking for a larger screen format, there is the 10" ASUS Chromebook Flip, with the benefit of an attached keyboard. (This was my iPad replacement.)

A bit heavier than your usual tablet, but you can get actual work done with it, and the battery lasts all day. Plus you get access to all the Chrome extensions and apps you like. Some Android apps also can get ported, and rumour has it that Chrome OS is getting merged with Android somehow over the next few years.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39 PM »

Where did you hear about it? I've never heard of Chuwi and I see no customer reviews at that link.

But while we're talking about questionable tablets, you can find a few tablets that run both Windows 10 and Android on Everbuying.net. Here's an example:

$79 - Onda V820W Windows 10 + Android 4.4 Tablet PC Intel Z3735F Quad Core 1.3GHz 8 inch WXGA IPS Screen 2GB RAM 32GB ROM Bluetooth 4.0

The low price is tempting me to get one to satisfy my curiosity on how well it performs and how it runs both OSes (e.g., Does it have a dual-boot option or does it just run Android in Windows 10 via something like Bluestacks?), but I feel it's almost guaranteed to be a piece of junk. :)

2. My other choice I'm looking at is the Galaxy Tab E

3. The third choice I'm looking at is the Nexus 9

It's a bit more expensive.  And I don't know why it's worth the added expense.

The Nexus 9 is simply a superior device.

It runs vanilla Android and not Samsung's customized crap. It has a higher resolution (2048x1536 vs. 1280x800). It has a better processor (2.3 GHz vs. 1.2GHz). The rear camera is better (8MP vs. 5MP). It probably has more RAM (2GB vs ???). It weighs less (15 oz (~0.94 lbs) vs. 1.2 lbs (~19.2 oz)). Etc.

The only places the Samsung Tab wins out is in screen size (9.6" vs. 8.9", but again, a much lower resolution on that bigger screen), front-facing camera (2MP vs. 1.6MP), and battery life (~20 hours vs. ~18 hours, which can likely be explained by the difference in processors and screen size/resolution).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:54 PM »

Where did you hear about it? I've never heard of Chuwi and I see no customer reviews at that link.

But while we're talking about questionable tablets, you can find a few tablets that run both Windows 10 and Android on Everbuying.net. Here's an example:

$79 - Onda V820W Windows 10 + Android 4.4 Tablet PC Intel Z3735F Quad Core 1.3GHz 8 inch WXGA IPS Screen 2GB RAM 32GB ROM Bluetooth 4.0

Chuwi appears to be just the seller name -- tablet is Onda, as in deo's link.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35 PM »
http://www.amazon.co...ranty/dp/B015Z1O8Y2/

Try that one.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 03:43 PM »
It runs vanilla Android and not Samsung's customized crap.

My samsung (Nook) doesn't seem to have anything customized.  It has a few widgets that you can choose to install, and apps... but the interface is the same as far as I know.  Do you know what this 'customized crap' entails?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 04:33 PM »
It runs vanilla Android and not Samsung's customized crap.

My samsung (Nook) doesn't seem to have anything customized.  It has a few widgets that you can choose to install, and apps... but the interface is the same as far as I know.  Do you know what this 'customized crap' entails?

You got me on that one. I assumed Samsung came with customized crap but I can't say for sure that it does. I've always owned vanilla Android devices (G1, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7), but just about every other Android device I've seen other people using has customized crap which is why I've always made sure my devices run vanilla Android.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Samsung Tab (Nook) is just a Tab 4 with some Barnes & Noble apps added.  It runs the Samsung Touchwiz UI over Android 4.4 (Kit Kat).  It's a low end tablet with a low res screen (1280 X 800), a slow processor and an older version of Android, which is what you'd expect for $139, which is what it sells for now at B&N.

The Nexus 9 is a high end table with a fast processor and a superb high res display (2048x1536 - same as the iPad Air). But the most important thing is that it currently runs Android 6 (Marshmallow) and as a Nexus device, will be always be updated to the latest Android version, at least for the projected life of the product (2-3 years for most Nexus devices).  Whether it's worth the price is another matter.  One thing to be aware of about all Nexus devices is that they do not have expandable memory (micro-SD) by design, although all the ones I have (7, 10 and 6P) support OTG through the USB port, so you can move data on and off relatively rapidly.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 06:18 PM »
Samsung Tab (Nook) is just a Tab 4 with some Barnes & Noble apps added.  It runs the Samsung Touchwiz UI over Android 4.4 (Kit Kat).  It's a low end tablet with a low res screen (1280 X 800), a slow processor and an older version of Android, which is what you'd expect for $139, which is what it sells for now at B&N.

There are different galaxy tablets.  I was talking about the one that is the equivalent of the Tab E.

http://nook.barnesan...ook-tablet/379004465

As far as running something on top of KitKat, that's what I'm trying to discern.  Everything that they show in those UI pictures is a widget.  I've removed all of those, and my setup looks the same as a vanilla android device.  Now I'm not android saavy, so there might be something else I need to look at.  But the basic control panel stuff looks just like the images I've seen of others on my current tablet, which is the Tab 4.  I even look at the images of touchwiz on the stock tab devices, and that's not what my device looks like.  But given that I'm not an android user, perhaps I'm missing something that differentiates it.  As soon as I can figure out how to take a screenshot, I'll upload something :)

And that bit about the lack of expandability basically lets me know that I'd not want it.  Thanks!

On the subject of tablets, the Dell also looks like an intriguing choice.  I just want something to read on, and to experiment a bit more on.  But with that caveat, maybe it's better if I go with a different Android device.  Hmm... thanks for the food for thought!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Chuwi tablets turn up on OzBargain (search link) fairly regularly, you can peruse the comments there.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 06:42 PM »
Chuwi tablets turn up on OzBargain (search link) fairly regularly, you can peruse the comments there.

Thanks.  Another option bites the dust. :)

For anyone interested: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/228113

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 09:03 PM »
As far as running something on top of KitKat, that's what I'm trying to discern.  Everything that they show in those UI pictures is a widget.  I've removed all of those, and my setup looks the same as a vanilla android device.  Now I'm not android saavy, so there might be something else I need to look at.  But the basic control panel stuff looks just like the images I've seen of others on my current tablet, which is the Tab 4.

If all you've ever used, as far as Android is concerned, is Samsung devices, then you may not be aware of or even care about the Samsung customizations. So while I may despise such things, use what works for you.  :Thmbsup:

In my experience, the customizations are usually subtle. Like using some sort of custom Contacts app which doesn't sync with your Google account instead of the default one which does.

You might be able to take a screenshot by pressing both the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time (and holding for a second or two).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:48 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 10:31 PM »
Ah... thanks!  I figured it out... it was swipe with the edge of your hand across the screen.

Screenshot_2016-01-11-23-17-43.pngLooking at an android tablet

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 03:40 PM »
There's nothing wrong with Samsung's Touchwiz UI. In fact it provides some enhancements over stock Android, such as the ability to split the screen between two apps on some tablets.  The only drawback is that it bakes some Samsung apps into the  firmware, but you don't need to use them or even see them on screen if you don't want to. Looking at your screenshot, the only give-aways are the format of the download arrow on the WiFi signal indicator in the notification bar and the layout of the Nook, Home and App Drawer buttons at the bottom.  Hardly noticeable and certainly not objectionable.

However KitKat is a two year old version of Android that was optimized to allow it to run on less powerful hardware.  When a new device is listed as running Android 4.4, that's a clear sign that it does not have enough horsepower to run Android 5 (Lollipop), let alone Android 6 (Marshmallow).  Depending on what you want a tablet for, that may or may not matter. 

One of the great advantages of Android over iOS is the ability to customize the interface endlessly with widgets, instead of a grid of icons like iOS.  I like to set up my home screens so that I can see at a glance all kinds of information like the time, local weather map and forecast, my calendar, todo list, etc.., without having to open any apps.

I'd suggest that you play with Android on the Nook you have before thinking about getting another tablet.  In particular, explore what's available on Google Play (the Android app store) and try things out. As you become more familiar with Android and how to use it, you'll get a much better idea of what you might want in the next one.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 05:03 PM »
That's good advice!  Thanks!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 03:00 PM »
I have another question.  Someone said before that the Nook tablet uses Lollipop.  The Nook on bn doesn't say what version of Android is included, but the S2 elsewhere says 5.0.

Anyone have any insight into that?

http://www.amazon.co...-Black/dp/B010OTFRYU

http://nook.barnesan...nch-tablet/379004444

http://www.engadget....axy-tab-s2-hands-on/

http://www.engadget....alaxy-tab-s2-review/

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 04:11 PM »
I'd guess the Tab E Nook probably uses Kit Kat (like the Tab 4 Nook) but the Tab S2 Nook is running Lollipop, like the regular Samsung S2. 

See this thread on Android Central for a discussion of the S2 Nook by some owners.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Thanks!  Some good info there