ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking at an android tablet

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
Chuwi tablets turn up on OzBargain (search link) fairly regularly, you can peruse the comments there.
-4wd (January 11, 2016, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks.  Another option bites the dust. :)

For anyone interested: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/228113

Deozaan:
As far as running something on top of KitKat, that's what I'm trying to discern.  Everything that they show in those UI pictures is a widget.  I've removed all of those, and my setup looks the same as a vanilla android device.  Now I'm not android saavy, so there might be something else I need to look at.  But the basic control panel stuff looks just like the images I've seen of others on my current tablet, which is the Tab 4.
-wraith808 (January 11, 2016, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

If all you've ever used, as far as Android is concerned, is Samsung devices, then you may not be aware of or even care about the Samsung customizations. So while I may despise such things, use what works for you.  :Thmbsup:

In my experience, the customizations are usually subtle. Like using some sort of custom Contacts app which doesn't sync with your Google account instead of the default one which does.

You might be able to take a screenshot by pressing both the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time (and holding for a second or two).

wraith808:
Ah... thanks!  I figured it out... it was swipe with the edge of your hand across the screen.

Looking at an android tablet

xtabber:
There's nothing wrong with Samsung's Touchwiz UI. In fact it provides some enhancements over stock Android, such as the ability to split the screen between two apps on some tablets.  The only drawback is that it bakes some Samsung apps into the  firmware, but you don't need to use them or even see them on screen if you don't want to. Looking at your screenshot, the only give-aways are the format of the download arrow on the WiFi signal indicator in the notification bar and the layout of the Nook, Home and App Drawer buttons at the bottom.  Hardly noticeable and certainly not objectionable.

However KitKat is a two year old version of Android that was optimized to allow it to run on less powerful hardware.  When a new device is listed as running Android 4.4, that's a clear sign that it does not have enough horsepower to run Android 5 (Lollipop), let alone Android 6 (Marshmallow).  Depending on what you want a tablet for, that may or may not matter. 

One of the great advantages of Android over iOS is the ability to customize the interface endlessly with widgets, instead of a grid of icons like iOS.  I like to set up my home screens so that I can see at a glance all kinds of information like the time, local weather map and forecast, my calendar, todo list, etc.., without having to open any apps.

I'd suggest that you play with Android on the Nook you have before thinking about getting another tablet.  In particular, explore what's available on Google Play (the Android app store) and try things out. As you become more familiar with Android and how to use it, you'll get a much better idea of what you might want in the next one.

wraith808:
That's good advice!  Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version