topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Question regarding Win10 upgrade  (Read 8302 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Question regarding Win10 upgrade
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Hi troops! It's been awhile.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this one since I've been out of the Windows environment for awhile and haven't been paying much attention to 10 at all.

Got a friend (bit of a noob to Windows since he's a long-time Mac man) who put in for the Windows 10 reservation. Seems like it's now trying to force the upgrade to 10. He's currently on Win 7 and wants to stay there for the foreseeable future. But every time he goes into Windows Update it starts "counting down" (as he puts it) to load Win10. It's also n longer showing any of the Windows 7 updates. Just wants to load 10...

I haven't seen that one before. Deleting KB 3035583 doesn't seem to stop it. So I'm guessing somewhere along the line he told it to download or do something even though he says he's sure he didn't.

Any help with this one or should he just backup his stuff using the Win Migration Tool, reinstall 7, put it all back, and try to be more careful next time?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. What says the collective wisdom of DC?  :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Question regarding Win10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:47 PM »
uh oh.  i was kind of worried about this.  welcome back btw!!!

i also reserved when i saw the popup on the surface pro.  immediately after, i sort of regretted it because i didn't want to be "forced" into an upgrade.  The problem is that the notices is being built into the OS, and into the windows update, which is weird.  Should have been an email notice or something where you can click, and download whatever needs to be installed.  This feels more like a hostile takeover.

I'm going to try to avoid it for now until i get a few months of feedback from around the web.  Right now, we don't know how seamless the upgrade is going to be.  Will all your running programs still work?  Is it going to turn into a situation where it's better to "just reinstall the OS from scratch" rather than upgrade?

This site has some directions on how to deal with the situation:
https://techjourney....on-system-tray-icon/

I'll check it out and report back later this weekend.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:53 PM »
go to Windows Update and cancel it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:38 PM »
@SB - Thankee! Good to be back.

@Curt - whatever he did, I think it's a little late for that. There's something he's got on his machine now that wants to roll ahead with it.

So far:

I suggested he remove KB2976978 and also run this: http://www.microsoft...etails.aspx?id=47734

I understand there's also a directory containing the downloaded update for 10 that can be removed to prevent it from happening, but I don't know what that directory is. Or if that will fix Windows Update to start showing Win7 updates again.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 04:47 PM »
I think it's a bit buggy at times...
I reserved (on windows 8.1). A couple of days ago it stopped showing me updates for 8.1 and had a big notice about 10 - but still wasnt offering it for download. It did correct itself - I cant remember was a reboot required - all of which is not much help, but gives me the chance to say:
!! hello !! :)
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:55 PM »
40!!! Good to see ya man!!!

I understand there's also a directory containing the downloaded update for 10 that can be removed to prevent it from happening, but I don't know what that directory is. Or if that will fix Windows Update to start showing Win7 updates again.

[hidden] C:\$Windows.~BT\

^My Guess, because that's what all the Insider Update upgrades used.

Are they really sure they don't want the upgrade?? Because it looking to be a really nice OS ... I'm already starting to roll it out at the office, and at one of our new clients. I'm using it at work, and on my laptop ... I'll also be upgrading my - 2006 era - home flagship workstation this weekend..

It does seem like there was a cancel reservation option somewhere...but damn if I can remember where it was (sorry).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:01 PM »
@tomos - hello!

@Stoic - good to be somewhat back!

He doesn't object to the upgrade. He just doesn't want it to happen now. He's got some proprietary software he uses extensively where the devs advised against the upgrade until they can get their act together with Win 10. Apparently they're having a lot of issues with the latest favorite son of Microsoft. It works. Then Redmond does some updates and it breaks. Then the devs fix it. Then Microsoft does another update...and so it goes.

New stable release isn't expected to be completed for another several weeks. So my pal figures since he's got a year, there's no rush to go ahead.

And yes, I checked out 10. I'm not crazy about some of the decisions driving it (especially the fact it's heading towards an exclusively "by  subscription" model like Office365 is rolling with) but what are you going to do? For myself I'll stick with NIX for day to day productivity. About the only thing I may still need Windows for is some music software I have. And if I do run it under Windows (as opposed to NIX or OSX) it will be an extremely stripped down install since the machine will be exclusively used as a DAW. In fact, it won't even get a network card or ever be upgraded as long as the app I run on it (Harrison Consoles: Mixbus 3.0) is happy. (More about Mixbus - and see it in action - here in case anybody's interested.

And yes, Win 10 is a pretty nice OS. They did a very good job with it. I just hope they don't end up mucking it up like they did Win 8 - which was also a really nice OS until they wrapped all of their "Windows Experience" crap around it. Microsoft is still NOT Apple. You'd think they'd have lost their fruit envy by now and just did their own thing rather than try to play catch-up on the interface front.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 01:53 AM »
If the Reserve Windows 10 thing is still in his tray, there was a way to open it up and cancel the reservation.

Either way, the reservation itself says he can choose when to install/upgrade it. I didn't try it myself, but I was under the impression that meant you could delay the upgrade for as long as you wanted (within the first year) or cancel it altogether.

But now I'm on Windows 10 so I can't tell for sure what's possible once it says you can upgrade.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 03:30 AM »
40hz it is WONDERFUL to see you. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 02:01 AM »
On the Canceling Reservation that @Deozaan mentioned, (because I've just done it - driver issues):

If the tray icon is still there, click on it, click the menu icon in the top left of the window, and choose View Confirmation:

Get Windows 10_2015-08-02_16-53-53.pngQuestion regarding Win10 upgrade

On the following window, click Cancel Reservation, the next two windows will ask if you're nuts, and if you want to continue.

Get Windows 10_2015-08-02_16-54-07.pngQuestion regarding Win10 upgrade