topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684562 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #925 on: January 30, 2017, 05:47 PM »
We should probably mark informational posts about Fast Ring/Insider builds as "beta" or "preview" releases so people who aren't part of the Fast Ring/Insider program don't worry they'll be affected by these issues. Otherwise it just seems a bit like fearmongering, IMO.

Related: I came across a site that somewhat nicely lists all the recent changes to Windows 10 builds, and even makes it clear who will be affected by the changes (Fast Ring, Release, Business, Xbox, Mobile, etc.)

https://changewindows.org/

With this you can see what actually changed, rather than the standard boilerplate of "This update improves functionality and security of Windows." or whatever it usually says. For example, here's what it says changed in 15019:

That's awesome, and using that to link to any updates would be good.  But yes, not mentioning which 'ring' a potential problem affects makes the updates less than useful.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #926 on: February 14, 2017, 07:30 AM »
Looking for advice for a Windows 10 laptop that hasn't been used for a couple of months --
should I:

(1) let it update itself (if so, any idea how long that might take, and how I can keep an eye on it)
or
(2) download updates and install manually? (dont even know if that possible)

TIA
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #927 on: February 14, 2017, 10:44 AM »
If you turn it on and leave it alone for a few hours, it will update itself. You can 'force' it (read: expedite it somewhat) to update by going to the relevant Settings page and pressing the Check Now button.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #928 on: February 14, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Looking for advice for a Windows 10 laptop that hasn't been used for a couple of months --
should I:

(1) let it update itself (if so, any idea how long that might take, and how I can keep an eye on it)
or

Microsoft has been pushing cumulative updates every month or so. Which should solve the problem you'd see in Windows 7 or earlier where if you do a fresh install of the OS you then have to download and install years worth of updates separately.

That said, they have also been updating the ISO for Windows 10 somewhat regularly, so it's not that hard to get a recent version made as installation media. But again, this is just for a fresh install of the OS. I don't know if it's possible to download and install updates manually. I'd do as Ath says, and either let it update itself or manually go to Windows Update and click the "Check for updates" button to kickstart the process.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #929 on: February 14, 2017, 11:46 AM »
^ thanks both :up:
Tom

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #930 on: March 05, 2017, 10:10 PM »
I have found that Win 10 takes a long time to start up. If I connect my Sony Cybershot DSC-HX20V camera right after the icon bar stops changing, the computer freezes because programs are still loading or initializing. I will have to use Task Manager to know when everything is done and ready for something new. If I don't set the computer to sleep sometime, Windows is buggy after sitting with the screen turned off for a few hours. I will have to re-enter my Microsoft password again, but the alternative is worse.

Clipboard01.jpg

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:23 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #931 on: March 14, 2017, 06:08 PM »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #932 on: March 16, 2017, 05:14 AM »
should I:

or

Microsoft has been pushing cumulative updates every month or so. Which should solve the problem you'd see in Windows 7 or earlier where if you do a fresh install of the OS you then have to download and install years worth of updates separately.

That said, they have also been updating the ISO for Windows 10 somewhat regularly, so it's not that hard to get a recent version made as installation media. But again, this is just for a fresh install of the OS. I don't know if it's possible to download and install updates manually. I'd do as Ath says, and either let it update itself or manually go to Windows Update and click the "Check for updates" button to kickstart the process.

well it got stroppy about it:
high cpu usage (first TiWorker.exe, then svchost); and unable to open system settings at all.
Tried logging off/on a couple of times, no joy, ended up rebooting twice -- on second reboot it came to it's senses and requested a reboot :D

Currently updating :up:
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #933 on: March 16, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Microsoft is also starting to roll out delta updates, which should make updating in the future easier as well. Resulting in smaller downloads/patches if you've kept up to date. :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #934 on: March 17, 2017, 06:24 AM »
Microsoft is also starting to roll out delta updates, which should make updating in the future easier as well. Resulting in smaller downloads/patches if you've kept up to date. :Thmbsup:

will try to keep up-to-date from now:
that machine hadn't been updated for a few months, and took a couple of hours to download/apply the update
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #935 on: March 17, 2017, 06:59 AM »
But only after you've updated to the Creators edition, due in April... (afaik)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #936 on: March 17, 2017, 01:32 PM »
But only after you've updated to the Creators edition, due in April... (afaik)

Yes, kind of. Here's my understanding of it:

This week they started rolling out an early part of delta updates. So if you are completely up to date as of today then you should start benefiting from delta updates for the smaller updates (the cumulative updates that change the OS Build number, I think). Starting with the Creators Update, due next month as you said, the delta updates will be introduced to the "big" updates (the ones where the version number changes) as well, and Microsoft will be incorporating the delta update model into more and more of the Windows Update process as time goes on. But this means the Creators Update itself doesn't benefit from delta updates, and the full thing will need to be downloaded to install it.

Source:
http://www.zdnet.com...ws-update-surprises/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #937 on: March 17, 2017, 03:43 PM »
I must say, I really hate this update process.  Continually, I have to hard reboot my daughter's machine because she's on a wireless adapter on her desktop (though her laptop doesn't have the same problem- go figure).  It will just be on a screen with the chasing dots, and stay there.  One time, I tried to just let it go because she was out of town- after days, it was still there.  But I hard reboot it (sometimes once, sometimes twice after it goes through it again), and then it says restoring old installation.  But eventually the version number does change.  Very annoying, as is the fact that it will just shut down your active applications in order to finish the update.  I've updated three of the machines here to never restart (which has it's own problems, as the memory profile does strange things if you have a pending update for restart- haven't been able to adequately explain it, other than if I have a pending update, some apps can't get any more memory, and if I restart and let it do it's thing, it's fine), so I might end up updating all of them to block the restart.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #938 on: March 17, 2017, 04:36 PM »
I must say, I really hate this update process.  Continually, I have to hard reboot my daughter's machine because she's on a wireless adapter on her desktop (though her laptop doesn't have the same problem- go figure).  It will just be on a screen with the chasing dots, and stay there.  One time, I tried to just let it go because she was out of town- after days, it was still there.  But I hard reboot it (sometimes once, sometimes twice after it goes through it again), and then it says restoring old installation.

I've found on a laptop I have that it will occasionally get stuck on the spinning dots screen after an update. A solution that almost always clears things up for me is to shut down, remove all USB devices from the machine (the only one I have in this machine is a wireless mouse dongle), and boot it up. The machine boots up relatively quickly and then I can plug in the USB devices again, and all is well until the next update breaks it. :)

But I spend most of my time in Linux on that machine, so it tends to go a while between Windows Updates.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #939 on: March 18, 2017, 07:17 AM »
I've found on a laptop I have that it will occasionally get stuck on the spinning dots screen after an update. A solution that almost always clears things up for me is to shut down, remove all USB devices from the machine (the only one I have in this machine is a wireless mouse dongle), and boot it up. The machine boots up relatively quickly and then I can plug in the USB devices again, and all is well until the next update breaks it.

Isn't it wonderful we have these time-saving devices called Windows PCs?  It will get to the point where you spend 6 hours a day on doing what MS pushes on you and 2 hours a day doing "your stuff."  To me the trend started with Vista pre-SP1 where the machine tried to hog the HD to index stuff, add stuff to WMP library(which I did not use as a player anyway) and just send you an email when it was OK to take a turn using your own machine.  The day of "pay per RPC" is not far off.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #940 on: March 25, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Windows 10 is recording everything you type - here's how to stop Microsoft tracking you | Daily Star

It's emerged that Microsoft's latest computer friendly operating system has been recording everything you've typed since it first launched without you knowing.

That means everything from your boring work documents to your private emails, via that occasional smutty instant message to your partner, has been tracked.

More than that, if you've made voice searches, all of your vocal commands and message dictations have been recorded too.

Although you can opt out of the feature in Settings, worryingly with every major Windows 10 update released, it's claimed that Microsoft has reset the feature to on as default.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #941 on: March 25, 2017, 12:26 PM »
Got any links for that from a more reputable source?  They might be right, but the Daily Star is pretty much a tabloid, which makes me default to sensationalism.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #942 on: March 25, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Doesn't this go without saying? How else can they "improve your typing/voice recognition" or keyboard suggestions? Google does the same with with the Google Keyboard (Gboard?) on Android devices, as well as with the voice searches.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #943 on: March 25, 2017, 07:03 PM »
Doesn't this go without saying? How else can they "improve your typing/voice recognition" or keyboard suggestions? Google does the same with with the Google Keyboard (Gboard?) on Android devices, as well as with the voice searches.

I think that what is being said in that article, however, is even if you opt out, they're still doing it.  Either against your wishes, or changing the setting every update.  Mine is off.  And I haven't even looked at it since I installed.  But, they get around that by saying 'claimed'.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #944 on: March 25, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Seriouis question: Which programs would benefit from that (especially keyboard) improvement. I am not a regular windows 10 user but the times I have used it I have not come across a place where that benefits me (I haven't turned it off). Is it Office? Edge? or?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #945 on: March 26, 2017, 01:39 AM »
Which programs would benefit from that (especially keyboard) improvement. I am not a regular windows 10 user but the times I have used it I have not come across a place where that benefits me (I haven't turned it off). Is it Office? Edge? or?

You have to think of it from the "Windows 10 on all the devices" perspective. Doesn't really help much in a traditional desktop, except if you include voice recognition to help Cortana understand you. But once you start adding touch screen devices where you're likely to use an on-screen keyboard or a stylus to write with, and it will learn how you type so it can suggest spelling corrections or just do general prediction of what word(s) you're likely to use next, or it will learn what your handwriting looks like so it can convert your chicken scratch (if it's anything like mine) to real words.

I disabled Cortana and told Windows 10 not to try to improve my keyboard whatever. But like wraith808, I did that Back in 2015 when Windows 10 first launched and haven't had to worry about it since.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:45 AM by Deozaan »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #946 on: April 01, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Win 10 update 03-31-17.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft's latest Cumulative Update.

Windows 10 Creators Update coming April 11.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Windows 10 Creators Update coming April 11

Any Microsoft Insiders interested in this upcoming offering?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #947 on: April 02, 2017, 12:30 AM »
Any Microsoft Insiders interested in this upcoming offering?

I don't know if I'll be using (m)any of the new features of the Creators Update, but I'm looking forward to having it on my machine because of what it paves the way for in the future (e.g., delta updates).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #948 on: April 05, 2017, 09:50 PM »
I used the Media Creation Tool to create a USB installation media and used that to update my copy of Windows to the Creators Update. It took about an hour to install the update (not counting the time it took to creation the installation media) and worked without a hitch.

I'm currently on Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.0), but already some more updates are downloading. I guess that's what happens when you disable the "Download Updates" option before installing it.

Windows 10 1703 15063.0.pngWindows 10 Announced

EDIT: After the updates finished installing I'm now on 15063.13.

Windows 10 1703 15063.13.pngWindows 10 Announced
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:19 AM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #949 on: April 05, 2017, 10:29 PM »
I found this to be a decent overview of the major new features of the Creators Update: