topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684684 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #900 on: November 11, 2016, 11:37 PM »
@Arizona Hot: Eh? What elections?
You being in New Zealand, I can see why you're in denial about Clinton losing in the elections here. What other reason could you have for denying knowledge about someone as loud and blatant as Donald Trump.
Hahaha, not quite. Obviously I was merely joking about your assumption that readers would know about the elections, in what I wrote above. I am (as usual) at a loss to comprehend American politics, but with the news feeds chokka with "US elections!" news items, and, though I have not been following the elections per se, how could one possibly not know that the elections were "on"?    :D

As it happens, I have in fact been rather well-informed about the progress and outcome of this particular US election process - not through the news media (which I pay little attention to anyway) but because my 15 y/o daughter is currently keenly interested in philosophy and political philosophy in particular - especially where the latter reflects democracy and freedom of thought and action (or the lack of those things) in a society. She has kept me regularly updated, whether I wanted to be or not!    :D

Actually, she was very concerned yesterday because there was reportedly a backlash of sometimes vitriolic hate from a vociferous section of the Clinton (I'm not sure whether that's Democrat or Republican) followers, after they had learned that they were in a minority as far as the election outcome went. Apparently some of them couldn't accept this and some biased news media outlets were in outright denial/rejection and a news video showed some supporters calling for Trump voters to be outed and killed, or something, and some Trump supporters had already been beaten up for their sins, with a black American mother even posting a video online where she psychologically torments her 9 y/o son for voting for Trump in his school's dummy election.

She had been discussing this situation with her classmates at school yesterday, and came home with two complex and interesting questions:
  • (a) If they were prepared to consider committing violence towards those who disagree with them, did I think the Clinton supporters might try to get/incite someone to assassinate Trump, thereby frustrating his being President?

• (b) This minority - the Clinton supporters - are "liberal progressives". That is (so she informed me), people who proclaim the most loudly that there is no reality, no objective truth, and that we all must respect our different realities and perspectives. Yet they now apparently seem to have nothing left in place of argumentation, persuasion and reason except shouts, screams, insults, pouts, tears, threats and even death threats. Did they perhaps only accept the democratic process whilst it presented a means of imposing their will/ideology onto others and do they now reject the democratic process because it has failed them in this?

You can imagine we had an interesting discussion, and I was most impressed with - and learned something from - my daughter's rather penetrating questions. (Proud father.)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #901 on: November 12, 2016, 05:46 AM »
eh, is that Windows 10 or was it without any Windows?

While I'm here: @ proud IainB, I agree with your daughter, and I have been very disappointed with all these democrats not behaving democratic. The guy has been democratic elected; Now go and support your president = now go and support your democracy = be a democrat!

Also: I am very pleased with Blackbird ("Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements" https://www.donation...opic=43183.msg403836 ); now updated for the newest 1607 Win 10, I am positive my Windows laptop now is starting faster and running smoother.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #902 on: November 12, 2016, 07:28 AM »
...Also: I am very pleased with Blackbird ("Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements" https://www.donation...opic=43183.msg403836 ); now updated for the newest 1607 Win 10, I am positive my Windows laptop now is starting faster and running smoother.
I thought that Blackbird looked pretty good, but I when it came time to use it I decided it was a bit too risky a "black box", so in the end did not use it. I consider that it needs a reliable "Undo" feature for each thing that it does.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #903 on: November 12, 2016, 11:10 AM »
While I'm here: @ proud IainB, I agree with your daughter, and I have been very disappointed with all these democrats not behaving democratic. The guy has been democratic elected; Now go and support your president = now go and support your democracy = be a democrat!

It's not that simplistic.  But this isn't the place for that discussion.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #905 on: November 20, 2016, 04:17 PM »
it needs a reliable "Undo" feature for each thing that it does.

-yes, it only has for all of it in one go: CMD blackbird -r = Recovery Mode. Restores all values changed by Blackbird to default Microsoft values.
but as you said, not for each thing.

http://www.getblackbird.net/documentation/readme/

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #906 on: November 20, 2016, 10:23 PM »
@Curt: That's the trouble with any "black box" approach - one does not know what the heck it is up to nor have an easy way of testing it to verify whether it correctly does what it's supposed to do, or whether it does something else - e.g., they may have irreversible errors, or be used deliberately or unwittingly as a container for distributing (say) a trojan virus or PUP. Adobe Reader, the ASK and Yahoo! toolbars and various so-called "Registry Cleaners" are typical examples. Trustworthiness comes into this somewhere.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #907 on: November 21, 2016, 01:00 AM »
Blackbird is just a command file (~1MB), you can view and edit it if you want.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #908 on: December 05, 2016, 11:55 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #909 on: December 09, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Window Update 12-09-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Looks like Microsoft is getting ready for Christmas.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #910 on: December 13, 2016, 05:20 PM »
Win 10 update 12-13-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Surprise! A second update this month. The Microsoft article doesn't say anything about fixing the previous Update.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:26 PM by Arizona Hot »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #911 on: December 13, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Yep. I let the 1st one through and after it had finished, to my great surprise there was a 2nd big one waiting in the queue to hog bandwidth.
Looks like a bad case of OS update constipation.

14_365x59_C32F22BE.png

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #912 on: December 13, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Before, after updates and so often in between windows modules installer worker keeps eating resources, despite its own shortcomings glad I am spending most of time on linux

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #913 on: December 14, 2016, 07:02 PM »
The good news is that Microsoft is working on an update mechanism that will just update directly to the latest version instead of having to download an outdated update before being able to download the most recent one.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #914 on: December 15, 2016, 08:18 AM »
The good news is that Microsoft is working on an update mechanism that will just update directly to the latest version instead of having to download an outdated update before being able to download the most recent one.

Device users may be comfortable with the mechanism.  But for Desktop/Laptop machines it is too prone to breaking working systems.  There should be a "service pack only" setting to only update when bunches of fixes have been tested together after applying to a system running the last service pack.  If they want to call them "cumulative updates" that's fine.  But I cannot think of a more band aid approach than patching your OS as every vulnerability is found.  There are just too many side effects in coding to get all that stuff right.  Often it takes awhile for a regression to turn up especially if it causes only intermittent problems.

Basically it is a hack that has become institutionalized along with the side effect that MS now controls your system rather than you.  As I say, this may be fine for phone or tablet.  But not a great way to service desktop type environments.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #915 on: December 15, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Basically it is a hack that has become institutionalized along with the side effect that MS now controls your system rather than you.
Sometime in 2017 I may be able to get a new modestly priced pc, and it's got me to wondering about all the rag-chewing when this thread first began airing 37 pages ago about wild reports that Windows 10 abuses the update function and self-installs onto Windows 8 & 7, it regularly searches for and sends copies of all text and pix files to MS without your awareness, knowledge, or permission, and reserves the privilege of monitoring and deleting anything deemed 'infringing', and I forget what else. So what's the score with Windows 10 now? I admit to being so disconnected from this scene, that once I'm finally ready to get a new machine, my current preferred option is to swap my Windows XP Home onto a SSD to install in the new box; or maybe purchase and install Windows XP Professional and rebuild something as close as possible to my current WinXP Home OS. IOW to stick with some form of WinXP. For one thing, I've got some really nice but exclusively WinXP-compatible programs I would hate to sacrifice just for the sake of upgrading to Windows 10 (especially what with all the bad rumors I just named).

fredemeister

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #916 on: December 15, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Basically it is a hack that has become institutionalized along with the side effect that MS now controls your system rather than you.
Sometime in 2017 I may be able to get a new modestly priced pc, and it's got me to wondering about all the rag-chewing when this thread first began airing 37 pages ago about wild reports that Windows 10 abuses the update function and self-installs onto Windows 8 & 7, it regularly searches for and sends copies of all text and pix files to MS without your awareness, knowledge, or permission, and reserves the privilege of monitoring and deleting anything deemed 'infringing', and I forget what else. So what's the score with Windows 10 now? I admit to being so disconnected from this scene, that once I'm finally ready to get a new machine, my current preferred option is to swap my Windows XP Home onto a SSD to install in the new box; or maybe purchase and install Windows XP Professional and rebuild something as close as possible to my current WinXP Home OS. IOW to stick with some form of WinXP. For one thing, I've got some really nice but exclusively WinXP-compatible programs I would hate to sacrifice just for the sake of upgrading to Windows 10 (especially what with all the bad rumors I just named).

My wife still uses XP SP3 + updates to when they stopped. Her pc has been almost error free since it was set up when it was new: it's an IBM P4 2.8ghz. Contrary to some "authorities" comments, WinXP will run, and run, and run until the music stops.  I'ts still a viable option.

However, you WILL find issues with newer hardware and limited or no driver support for XP.  In fact for new hardware, think there will be NO drivers available for XP.  That's where your main trouble will be - not in "nasties" or so-called "security leaks" if you're careful about using firewalls etc.

What will happen in 2017-20 who knows, but anticipate more of the same from MS.  You will have to take the step to WinXYX sometime, hardware will outgrow XP within a few years, and you will find it difficult to buy compatible bits and pieces.  But all the best, and may the force be with you.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #917 on: December 15, 2016, 09:50 PM »
Her pc has been almost error free since it was set up when it was new: it's an IBM P4 2.8ghz.
Interesting! Mine is an Intel Celeron 2.66ghz. Like you said, 'it runs, and runs, and runs'.
Altho, come to think of it, I wonder if such a vintage OS can take advantage of the newer dual- or quad-core architecture.  8)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #918 on: December 16, 2016, 01:28 AM »
Win 10 Update 12-15-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

3 Updates in one month! Do they want Christmas bonuses (or time off after Christmas)? Will we get 5 Updates this month?

fredemeister

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #919 on: December 16, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Her pc has been almost error free since it was set up when it was new: it's an IBM P4 2.8ghz.
Interesting! Mine is an Intel Celeron 2.66ghz. Like you said, 'it runs, and runs, and runs'.
Altho, come to think of it, I wonder if such a vintage OS can take advantage of the newer dual- or quad-core architecture.  8)

Mine's a Core 2Duo 3ghz, ran well with XP, also W10 runs faster, no lags unless I'm processing big photos.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #920 on: December 17, 2016, 08:09 AM »

Mine's a Core 2Duo 3ghz, ran well with XP, also W10 runs faster, no lags unless I'm processing big photos.
Win10 cannot arbitrarily upgrade WinXP, or sift through XP's pix and word files to see if anything needs to be arbitrarily deleted because it 'infringes' or qualifies as slanderous or libelous 'fake news' thought crime.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 09:59 AM by holt »

fredemeister

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #921 on: December 17, 2016, 01:56 PM »

Win10 cannot arbitrarily upgrade WinXP, or sift through XP's pix and word files to see if anything needs to be arbitrarily deleted because it 'infringes' or qualifies as slanderous or libelous 'fake news' thought crime.

Eeesh!  True, but a bit tough for a Sunday morning.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #922 on: January 29, 2017, 09:50 PM »
Microsoft Launches Windows 10 Build 15019, But It Comes With Bugs Aplenty.jpg

Microsoft Launches Windows 10 Build 15019, But It Comes With Bugs Aplenty

Anybody here in the Fast Ring with an interest in entomology?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #923 on: January 30, 2017, 03:19 PM »
We should probably mark informational posts about Fast Ring/Insider builds as "beta" or "preview" releases so people who aren't part of the Fast Ring/Insider program don't worry they'll be affected by these issues. Otherwise it just seems a bit like fearmongering, IMO.

Related: I came across a site that somewhat nicely lists all the recent changes to Windows 10 builds, and even makes it clear who will be affected by the changes (Fast Ring, Release, Business, Xbox, Mobile, etc.)

https://changewindows.org/

With this you can see what actually changed, rather than the standard boilerplate of "This update improves functionality and security of Windows." or whatever it usually says. For example, here's what it says changed in 15019:

Click here to expand the changelog
Start

•     The animation when moving tiles in and out of a folder has been polished further
  •     The default tile lay-out has been updated

Microsoft Edge
Edge 40.15019

•     You can now let Edge read books aloud to you
  •     If you click on an image, you can now use Ctrl + Mouse wheel to zoom in the e-book viewer

EdgeHTML 15.15019

•     When using emoji’s, Edge will now render them in full color by default
  •     WebRTC 1.0 is now enabled by default
  •     Re-deferral support
  •     Chakra JIT is not out-of-process by default
  •     Support for SharedArrayBuffer behind the Experimental JavaScript Features flag
  •     Support for WebAssembly behind the Experimental JavaScript Features flag

about:flags

•     "Enable WebRTC 1.0" has been removed

Settings
System

•     "Blue light" has been renamed "Night light"
  •     Night light has an updated range for color temperatures
  •     Custom scaling has been added as a subpage

Personalization

•     The Wheel settings now list customizable apps alphabetically
  •     The "Get more themes from the Store" button has been moved to the top of the Installed themes section

Gaming

•     Gaming has been added as a new category in the Settings app
  •     "Game bar" has been added and allows you to manage the Game bar and hotkeys
  •     "Game DVR" has been added with settings like storage location, FPS and more
  •     "Broadcasting" has been added with settings to manage your broadcasts like audio quality and more
  •     "Game Mode" has been added and allows you to enable Game Mode which will improve overall performance while playing a game

Privacy

•     You're now either in the "Basic" or "Full" group for feedback and diagnostics, with "Enhanced" removed
  •     You can now disable Microsoft from using diagnostic data to provide a tailored experience

Update & recovery

•     Troubleshoot has been added as a new page and allows you to easily start troubleshooting a number of features in Windows
  •     Under "Restart settings" you can now require Windows Update to show more notifications before restarting
  •     The option to prevent Windows Update from installing drivers has been removed

Mixed Reality

•     "Holographic" has been renamed "Mixed Reality"
  •     Settings on "Audio and speech" are now functional
  •     "Environment" has been added and allows you to clear information about your environmnet
  •     "Headset display" has been added and allows you to change display quality
  •     "Spaces" has been added and allows you to remove holograms in your environment
  •     "Uninstall" has been added and allows you to uninstall Mixed Reality

Ink Workspace

•     Improved copy reliability in Screen Sketch

System

•     The OOBE experience now includes a number of new privacy settings like Location, Speech recognition and Diagnostics
  •     The OOBE now supports captive portal Wi-Fi connections
  •     The OOBE has an updated design for signing into or signing up for a Microsoft Account
  •     The OOBE now has pagination to indicate your progress
  •     The OOBE now uses the new Windows Hello implementation to enroll
  •     The OOBE now uses a recorded voice instead of a synthetic voice
  •     The OOBE now supports subtitles
  •     While you're account is being prepared after an upgrade or after installation, new strings will appear

Language

•     Latin-based languages now have an ellipsis child key when holding the period key on the touch keyboard

Apps
Mixed Reality Portal

•     "Windows Holographic" has been renamed "Mixed Reality Portal"
  •     When clicking on "Get started", you'll now see a setup instead of the compatibility results

Windows Defender Security Center

•     Browser and app management has been added to the home page but is broken

Other features

•     You can now record with Beam
  •     You can now resize Hyper-V windows in Enhanced session mode
  •     17 games have been added to the list of full-screen supported with the Game bar
  •     Paint now has a "Open Paint 3D" button in the ribbon
  •     The on-screen touchpad has a new design to make to left and right button better visible

And further

•     The System (Enhanced) setting is now available in the Windows ADK for IT Professionals
  •     Improved Settings reliability

Fixed issues

•     Unknown fixes and enhancements to the OOBE
  •     Fixes an issue where right-clicking the night light quick action and clicking on Settings would open the main Settings screen instead of the night light settings
  •     Fixes an issue where waking your device from sleep or connecting a new monitor would make Windows ignore the night light setting
  •     Fixes an issue that would cause Explorer to hang if night light was enabled
  •     Fixes an issue where connecting an Xbox 360 or One Controller to your PC would crash the DWM
  •     Fixes an issue where in some games using Alt + Tab would cause both the game and the newly focused window to flicker
  •     Fixes an issue where Narrator might not speak or say "No item in view" in Edge while tabbing or using other navigation commands
  •     Fixes an issue where pasting on top of selected text in a Web Note would cause Edge to crash
  •     Fixes an issue that kept users from viewing Twitch.tv streams in Edge
  •     Fixes an issue where sharing a PDF in Edge would cause the browser to crash
  •     Fixes an issue where typing [ in the F12 Developer Tools window would not work on the Hungarian keyboard
  •     Fixes an issue where Taskbar preview icons would be small on high-DPI devices
  •     Fixes an issue where tapping outside a textbox with focus in an UWP app would not dismiss the on-screen keyboard
  •     Fixes a typo in the compatibility option to override high-DPI scaling
  •     Fixes an issue where newly pinned secondary tiles would appear in the Recently Added list
  •     Fixes an issue that prevented you from dragging the final tile from a folder onto the same row as the folder tile
  •     Fixes an issue where using Hey Cortana could cause SpeechRuntime.exe to use a high amount of CPU
  •     Fixes an issue where Notepad when maximized with enough text to require a scrollbar would result in the scrollbar's right-most edge not responding when trying to drag it
  •     Fixes an issue where pressing Alt to set focus to the menu bar in some apps would cause that app to become unresponsive if pressing Ctrl or clicking inside the app's child window
  •     Fixes an issue where Cortana could crash when typing out a UNC path to slow when that path has been used in Cortana before
  •     Fixes an issue where Default apps would crash when you clicked on an app under "Choose default app" and selected the option to look for an app in the Store
  •     Fixes an issue that could cause some apps to crash after using the Open dialog to rename or open a folder
  •     Fixes an issue where Win + Shift + S would not work in the Snipping Tool if it was set to something other than Rectangle
  •     Fixes an issue where Windows would open multiple Snipping Tool processes when using Win + Shift + S and hitting Esc to stop
  •     Fixes an issue where some file attributes, like +s, would get lost when copying or moving a folder to another partition
  •     Fixes an issue where using the Command Prompt with some fonts would cause conhost.exe to use a lot of CPU
  •     Fixes an issue with Windows Ink where undoing and redoing a point erase would cause the ink to reappear in the wrong order
  •     Fixes an issue where the mouse and keyboard would become unresponsive for a few seconds at a time
  •     Fixes an issue where some apps would crash when switched to Tablet Mode
  •     Fixes an issue where calendar appointments that are marked Tentative or Out of Office would show up as Free in the Taskbar clock and calendar flyout
  •     Fixes an issue where slideshows would not work when selecting multiple folders in the Background Settings
  •     Fixes an issue where pages would flash when navigating from and back to the Theme settings
  •     Fixes an issue on the Bluetooth & other devices settings page where it would show "Systemsettings.Viewmodel.settingentry" at the bottom
  •     Fixes an issue that could cause the Netflix app to crash on launch
  •     Fixes an issue where the Netflix app would crash when starting a movie on certain hardware types
  •     Fixes an issue where DOTA2 would not launch correctly

Known issues

•     The download indicator when downloading a new build is broken
  •     Nonstop exceptions in the Spectrum.exe service may occur resulting in audio not working and disk I/O becoming very high
  •     Some Google sites will not load due to an implementation of a new security model
  •     Microsoft Edge extensions do not work in this build
  •     The F12 Developer Tools may crash, hang or fail to accept input
  •     "Inspect Element" and "View Source" options don't work correctly in Edge
  •     Windows Insiders will see a "Mixed Reality" entry in the Settings app
  •     Some captive portal Wi-Fi networks will fail to connect in the OOBE
  •     Yes and No commands in the OOBE will fail
  •     Quicken will fail to run with an error stating .NET 4.6.1 is not installed
  •     Dragging apps from All apps to pin them on the Start screen won't work
  •     Some Tencent apps and games may crash or work incorrectly in this build
  •     Windows Update might claim that "Some Settings are managed by your organization" despite not being managed
  •     Audio could stop working with a "Device in use"-error
  •     The Action Center could appear blank and transparent
  •     Clicking some elements in desktop games might cause the game to minimize without being able to restore it
  •     The Game Mode setting will initially be displayed incorrectly
  •     Some games may experience crashes or black screens when loading
  •     Broadcasting to Beam from the Game bar will require some Privacy settings to be changed
  •     The broadcast live review window in the Game bar may flash green when broadcasting

All that said, I'm not exactly sure how to see what the current standard release is. According to "winver" I'm on 14393.693 and Windows Update says there are no new updates for me. But that website says the latest "Current" is 14393.726. However, it says the latest "Current" for Mobile is 14393.693, which is the version I'm currently running even though I'm on PC. And I don't have "Defer Updates" enabled in my update settings. :-\

Maybe the discrepancy is a result of Microsoft doing "rolling updates" and I just haven't been selected yet to receive the latest "Current" version.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:40 PM by Deozaan »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #924 on: January 30, 2017, 04:12 PM »
latest version "here" on my laptop in Denmark is Version 1607 build 14393.693

but right now Windows Update MiniTool is offering me 14393.594    :-\