topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684568 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #650 on: November 20, 2015, 12:10 PM »
How much do you think it is better. I think IE under Win 10 has a problem with website scripts.

AFAIK even Microsoft thinks nobody should be using IE anymore. It's dead. Use Edge. They only keep it around for backwards compatibility for all those people/business who have applications which rely on IE.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #651 on: November 20, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Edge still has some rough edges. When you push the back arrow in the top left corner, you only go back one site, In IE, you can go back as far as the browser remembers.
I surf sandboxed and in Edge InPrivate, so if I want to keep a record of where an interesting site is I have to create a shortcut. Edge doesn't do that, IE does.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #652 on: November 22, 2015, 06:31 AM »
Edge still has some rough edges.

That's for damn sure! I ended up having to install FF at work, just so I could function. Here at home I'm still doing the IE/Edge dance, but I do have FF in the wings - a first for me - for emergencies.

However at least now - Finally! - you can right click Edge in the TB and launch a new window ... Lack of that functionality was a deal breaker for me in 10240. It should have been given its own new software category, called PB&J ... That's Production/Beta Jape.

(For those not wishing to look it up: Jape means Trick or Practical Joke)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #653 on: November 26, 2015, 08:14 AM »
Just did a clean load of 10586 and was pleasantly surprised (read shocked) to be prompted to create a local account by default. No mention of creating/using/enforcing a MS cloud account was to be seen.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #654 on: November 26, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Just did a clean load of 10586 and was pleasantly surprised (read shocked) to be prompted to create a local account by default. No mention of creating/using/enforcing a MS cloud account was to be seen.

10586?  Ain't that there one of them new-fangled Pentup Frustration machines with built in FPU demanding virtual memory?  I didn't know MS took it over from Intel.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #655 on: November 26, 2015, 09:42 AM »

10586?  Ain't that there one of them new-fangled Pentup Frustration machines with built in FPU demanding virtual memory?  I didn't know MS took it over from Intel.  :)

My we're feeling glib today... Yes I was rushing and meant Windows 10 build 10586. However your definition does have its merits.. :D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #656 on: November 26, 2015, 09:46 AM »
My we're feeling glib today... Yes I was rushing and meant Windows 10 build 10586. However your definition does have its merits.. :D

I'll say one thing for my Pentium III.  Maybe it only had 128 MB system ram but it never overheated like those Pentium 4s I bought for some reason that escapes me now.  :)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #657 on: November 26, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I don't know if there is any reality to this report, but the idea is certainly unpleasant:

http://www.techsuppo...s-without-asking.htm

Windows 10 users are reporting that programs they've installed have disappeared (apparently uninstalled) with the latest Windows 10 Fall update, including one case where the software that AMD's graphics cards depend on (AMD Catalyst Control Center) was uninstalled and replaced with Windows 10 graphics card drivers. The two other programs that have been mentioned as being uninstalled are CPU-Z and Speccy.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #658 on: November 27, 2015, 06:09 AM »
I can confirm the CPU-Z disappearance, as it pulled mine ... However it did stop and tell me what it was doing when it did it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #659 on: November 27, 2015, 04:56 PM »
I can confirm the CPU-Z disappearance, as it pulled mine ... However it did stop and tell me what it was doing when it did it.

What exactly did it tell you?  I'm trying to see Microsoft's reasoning... and I just don't get it.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #660 on: November 28, 2015, 07:28 AM »

What exactly did it tell you?  I'm trying to see Microsoft's reasoning... and I just don't get it.

Not sure how exact I can be, as I'd setoff the install and walked away. I just don't have the patience with progress bars that I used to.. IIRC when I was signing in for the first time, it popped up a message that said it was no longer compatible with 10 and had been removed.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #661 on: December 01, 2015, 11:47 AM »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #662 on: December 01, 2015, 12:17 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

How Windows 10 Could Kill Passwords Forever

Is this more security or less security? It means someone could force you to log in against your will, by holding your face to the camera by force, which they couldn't do if you refused to give them the password.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #663 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Is this more security or less security? It means someone could force you to log in against your will, by holding your face to the camera by force, which they couldn't do if you refused to give them the password.

Let's face it.  If someone is going to use brute force I am going to give them the password.  I forgot all my Green Beret training, having never been in the military.  But now that I think of it, I would rather tell someone the password rather than have them take my thumb or my face with them when they left.  It is still losing face, but at least not literally.   :Thmbsup:

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #664 on: December 01, 2015, 02:48 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Let's face it.  If someone is going to use brute force I am going to give them the password.  I forgot all my Green Beret training, having never been in the military.  But now that I think of it, I would rather tell someone the password rather than have them take my thumb or my face with them when they left.  It is still losing face, but at least not literally.   :Thmbsup:

Yeah, I was thinking of extreme cases, where one would rather die than hand over access, such as when being captured by the enemy or protecting loved ones...

I wonder if the facial recognition software cares whether the face belongs to a person that is still alive... Or if it can tell if it's my twin brother, not me...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #665 on: December 01, 2015, 02:59 PM »
But now that I think of it, I would rather tell someone the password rather than have them take my thumb or my face with them when they left. It is still losing face, but at least not literally.

Man's got a good point there...I'd listen to him.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #666 on: December 01, 2015, 03:12 PM »
Is this more security or less security?

It's more different security. Biometrics are more difficult to crack (without a knife..), but gesture based access is insanely easy to shoulder surf for. And there is still a Good Ol' Fashion - type me - password for network access ... So it's really just a bunch more options to fiddle with.

If you're not supposed to use the same password for everything. Then how often should you switch fingers?

Should you use one finger for banking, and a different one for social media?

How many fingers can you try before the security agent gets sore and locks you out?

Will bad guys start automatically taking all ten fingers to ensure the got the right one?

Will ATMs begin offering adequate privacy for one to discreetly use the 21st filange??

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #667 on: December 01, 2015, 03:25 PM »
1+4=6

2015-12-01_221941.gif

:tellme:

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #668 on: December 01, 2015, 03:48 PM »
But now that I think of it, I would rather tell someone the password rather than have them take my thumb or my face with them when they left. It is still losing face, but at least not literally.

Man's got a good point there...I'd listen to him.

It sounds to me like an argument for not setting up facial recognition in the first place, so you don't get into a situation where someone wants to grab you by the neck and hold your face to the camera (or chop your fingers off).

BTW, some good questions there, Stoic Joker!

It's more different security. Biometrics are more difficult to crack

Imagine though if Snowden had biometrics set up on his laptop when he got to Russia. It would have taken huge self-control for the FSB not to grab him by the neck and push his face to the camera... Biometrics is the easiest thing to crack when you have the biological specimen in your custody...

P.S. Anyway, sorry, got a bit off topic there. My main point was that this article put too much of a positive spin on the biometric login, without considering some of the pitfalls.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:53 PM by dr_andus »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #669 on: December 01, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Imagine though if Snowden had biometrics set up on his laptop when he got to Russia. It would have taken huge self-control for the FSB not to grab him by the neck and push his face to the camera... Biometrics is the easiest thing to crack when you have the biological specimen in your custody...

Anything is easy to crack when you have the specimen in your custody.  People talk about SERE and torture resistance... but all macho-ness aside, everyone cracks.  It's just a matter of when, not if.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #670 on: December 01, 2015, 04:42 PM »
It sounds to me like an argument for not setting up facial recognition in the first place, so you don't get into a situation where someone wants to grab you by the neck and hold your face to the camera (or chop your fingers off).

I agree.  Half way through my reply I became convinced by what you wrote.  I just wanted to add the bit about G. Gordon Liddy I ain't.  Hold my hand in the fire?  What are you crazy?  To paraphrase Fats Domino, "I'm talkin' yes siree, I'm talkin', as you can see.  You ain't got to water board on me!"

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #671 on: December 01, 2015, 05:37 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #672 on: December 01, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Anything is easy to crack when you have the specimen in your custody.  People talk about SERE and torture resistance... but all macho-ness aside, everyone cracks.  It's just a matter of when, not if.

Any competent secret agent would have a dummy password that gave access to disinformation and sent a silent electronic warning in communication uses. A password would always be required in addition to their face. Any such person wouldn't last long if they couldn't convince the other person that it was the real password.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:46 PM by Arizona Hot »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #673 on: December 01, 2015, 10:37 PM »

Any competent secret agent would have a dummy password that gave access to disinformation and sent a silent electronic warning in communication uses. A password would always be required in addition to their face. Any such person wouldn't last long if they couldn't convince the other person that it was the real password.

Do you think they let you go after they get what they want?  You'd assume that there was a way out of this other than a lot of pain ending in a pine box (if you're lucky).  They get the information and then hold you alive until they verify it.  Then they kill you.  The best defense as an intelligence operative is not to get caught.  You might warn someone, but that someone isn't coming after you this side of a movie.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #674 on: December 02, 2015, 06:55 AM »
They get the information and then hold you alive until they verify it.

If they have hold of you for the long term, I seem to remember reading that in the gulag the technique was to start with your autobiography.  Like your entire life from as young as you can remember.  Then as they go along, months later they quiz you on tiny details.  Tough to remember what bs you gave them 18 months ago when you can't remember what year it is.  If you get the details wrong it's physical discomfort of the extreme variety until you remember the right information.  You can't fool someone across 5 or 10 years of interrogation.  Not unless you are Bill Clinton at least.  :)