topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Weird issue with computer: Volume spontaneously going to 100% at random  (Read 9290 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi folks.. I'm having a strange problem that I can't track down.

Recently my computer's volume has been jumping to 100% spontaneously.
I set it to some minimal volume, and then at some point (usually overnight) everything is super loud and i check it and the volume is back at 100%.

I'm thinking it must be some program doing it, but i can't figure out what.  Another alternative is a stuck key, but the random timing makes me think not.

Any ideas?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd try a full malwarebytes scan in case it's prankware.

Until you find the cause, if you have a pot on the speakers I'd put the hardware setting low and the software setting near the top to avoid sudden blare.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd suspect prankware as previously suggested - or some program that has an audio alarm or notifier feature like a clock calendar or email app. I've seen that happen with a alarm clock app on my Nook. Every time it checks for an update it dimes my volume setting whether or not it updates. I think it may be the dev doing a CYA volume reset since it's usually better to be annoyed by a too loud alarm than not to hear it at all.

Also +1 w/Miles. If you have a hardware volume knob you're better off using that and just leave your system setting up all the way if it's not causing distortion. I hardly ever adjust speaker volume in software if I have a choice. Gimmee a knob any day!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:45 AM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A short while I have had a similar problem, where Windows' various personal settings kept disappearing, because I didn't reboot Windows. After reboot, everything was okay.
 :-\

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A short while I have had a similar problem, where Windows' various personal settings kept disappearing, because I didn't reboot Windows. After reboot, everything was okay.
 :-\

On that note(pun intended) they also say if it's a Laptop and/or you fast boot/hybrid/hibernate all the time, it can be a good idea to do a full shutdown now and then.  Could be an old wives' tale.  But I do a full reboot on my Laptop periodically in case it's valid.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have seen multimedia keyboards do that sort of thing when they get a bit of age on them (crank/drop the volume, fire app key X, or just put the computer to sleep), so if you have one it could be worth investigating.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All the inconsistencies that occur with USB-based keyboards...especially when they age...make me really appreciate the PS/2 keyboard that I actively use for more than 10 years. Not one key wrong except for my ability to type with drunk fingers and a sober mind.

There are exceptions to the rule with USB-based keyboards, but not that many (in my strictly anecdotal experience).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you know.. it occurs to me i do have one experimental program that does mess with the volume settings.. my own Multi Photo Quotes..  Perhaps it is to blame..  Checking..

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
While not the same issue, I had a recent one that took many hours over several months to solve. It came down to a setting in the audio card driver causing the issue (which it shouldn't have).

If you can turn off all audio driver settings, it might help.

If you're doing anything remotely interesting, check to see if any calls you're making rely on something at a lower level. Sometimes there are oddities that can happen, and you may have inadvertently created something like a race condition or god knows what.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm pretty sure now that the problem was, embarrassingly, caused by an older version of my own program, Multi Photo Quotes.  Installing the latest version seemed to solve it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm pretty sure now that the problem was, embarrassingly, caused by an older version of my own program, Multi Photo Quotes.  Installing the latest version seemed to solve it.

Why is it embarrassing? You solved the problem. Job done! :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Would you like me to contact the developer? 

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Embarrassing because mouser didn't eat his own dogfood, so to speak. :-D Using an old version instead of the latest version of his own software!

Oh ho ho! Or something.

That's my guess, anyway.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yeah, and also embarrassing that it took me so long to realize that it could be my own program causing the trouble.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sue! Mouser vs Mouser.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yeah, and also embarrassing that it took me so long to realize that it could be my own program causing the trouble.

I hate it when that happens.  :)
Some hotkey program messing things up. I get pissed off.  Then I find out it's one of mine.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Keeps us humble" as my grandmother used to say. ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Sue! Mouser vs Mouser.

I'm not sure whether that's a win-win or a lose-lose proposition...  :huh:
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker