topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The DonationCoder.com 30-Day Healthy Eating and Exercise Challenge!  (Read 53911 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The DonationCoder.com 30-Day Healthy Eating and Exercise Challenge!
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2013, 05:57 AM »
I fell a bit off the ladder.. can we do another 30 days of September? Who's up for it starting TODAY?

I've been eating reasonably well lately, but would still like to improve a lot: get more active/fitter, earlier to bed, earlier to rise ;-)
Had a phase of doing light exercise in the morning, that helped a lot in terms of state-of-mind during the day. Would like to restart that.
So, yes, I'm up for starting today :up:
Tom

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32 AM »
I fell a bit off the ladder.. can we do another 30 days of September? Who's up for it starting TODAY?

Might as well just make this a permanent thread. The coffee mugs can have checks for each time you restarted :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2013, 08:37 AM »
Reboot healthy living +1  :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Might as well just make this a permanent thread. The coffee mugs can have checks for each time you restarted :)

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Post confessions and victories as they occur? Might help to motivate some people.

Also, linking to the "recipes" thread might be a good idea sometimes.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2013, 11:09 PM »

So. How did anyone manage in September?

I had a few handfuls of potato chips, but that was all the junk food I had. Well, other than some pop for mixer.

October so far is about the same for me, but I had some mini chocolate bars. Every once in a while is ok I suppose.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2013, 11:16 PM »
I'm down about 40lbs and in the best shape I've been in... a long time. I've definitely been in the "a little bit every once in a while" camp, life isn't worth it without the little pleasures.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12 PM »
On the healthy eating front, I did have a mini-break down. Had a small bag of cookies and some chocolate covered raisins, but not too bad.

I've pretty much swapped out cola (that I use for mixing most often), and subbed in a much healthier drink, though I'm not using it for mixer: water, lemon or lime juice, stevia for sweetener. It's actually really, really good.

The lemon/lime juice is just that bottled stuff off the shelf, and isn't nearly as nice as fresh lemon/lime, but it's easy, convenient, and I can simply keep the bottle on my desk along with the bottle of stevia (liquid) and a pitcher of water. That makes it easier to avoid going to the kitchen, chopping a lemon, juicing it, cleaning up, etc. Much faster this way.

Liquid stevia is nice. You only need a few drops. It's really simple to just have those 2 bottles and a pitcher of water on my desk.

I'm down about 40lbs and in the best shape I've been in... a long time. I've definitely been in the "a little bit every once in a while" camp, life isn't worth it without the little pleasures.

Wow! That's fantastic!

I managed to lose a lot of weight a few years back, but gained it all back. I'm not "fat", but could still lose a bit. I've adjusted my diet again, so I'm expecting to lose some more now.

One of the ways I lost weight before was to consume a lot of limes. Worked like a charm. I wasn't even trying to lose the weight. I just cut out sugar 100%, ate purely food I could cut with a knife and eat raw, and drank water with lots, and lots of lime.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
My mother has been raving about the Fit Bit device -- any other users besides allen?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.fitbit.com/one

$100 for a pedometer with an alarm? :o

I already have a device that can do all that and more. It's called a smartphone.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.fitbit.com/one

$100 for a pedometer with an alarm? :o

I already have a device that can do all that and more. It's called a smartphone.

Of course people said the same sort of reductionist things about the iPhone, and the iPad, and the iPad mini, but in reality, they were a lot more.  Same with this one.  I don't have it (nor want it, as most of them are not waterproof), but what I do have, while it might resemble the same is a whole lot more... and these appear to be so also.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As far as I can tell, the Fit Bit really is just a pedometer with an alarm... And Bluetooth.

It's the bluetooth that allows it to be "a whole lot more" but not really. The "whole lot more" comes from an app on your phone or your PC. The Fit Bit is still essentially just a pedometer with an alarm.

And as I said, my smartphone can count my steps and wake me up, and track my elevation, and talk to an app to show me stats and record my movement and everything the Fit Bit can do.

And while your watch thing certainly looks like it does a lot more than the Fit Bit, I heard there was an update to iOS that made the iPhone waterproof (;)) so your purchase may have been in vain. :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:52 PM by Deozaan, Reason: Somehow I got the name of the Fit Bit wrong everytime I mentioned it »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's the bluetooth that allows it to be "a whole lot more" but not really. The "whole lot more" comes from an app on your phone or your PC. The Bit Fit is still essentially just a pedometer with an alarm.

How does an alarm track the quality of your sleep?

And while your watch thing certainly looks like it does a lot more than the Bit Fit, I heard there was an update to iOS that made the iPhone waterproof (;)) so your purchase may have been in vain.

I'm not quite *that* gullible :P

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

And while your watch thing certainly looks like it does a lot more than the Bit Fit, I heard there was an update to iOS that made the iPhone waterproof (;)) so your purchase may have been in vain.

I'm not quite *that* gullible :P

Damnit my iPhone isn't working anymore!
Just kidding!
 ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How does an alarm track the quality of your sleep?

How does the Fit Bit track the quality of your sleep?

From what I can tell, it just keeps track of how much/often you move in your sleep. Any pedometer/gyroscope/motion sensor can do the same thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:52 PM by Deozaan »