topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox 29 - soooooo similar to Chrome  (Read 24894 times)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
Firefox 29 - soooooo similar to Chrome
« on: April 30, 2014, 02:24 AM »
Firefox upgraded to 29 and it looks so similar to Chrome now that I have to take a closer look at the extension icons on top-right to assure I am in FF and not in Chrome.

At least it should have the 'fox' icon some where to differentiate it.

Regards,

Anand

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 29 - soooooo similar to Chrome
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:50 AM »
Firefox upgraded to 29 and it looks so similar to Chrome now that I have to take a closer look at the extension icons on top-right to assure I am in FF and not in Chrome.

Regards,

Anand

Wow Anand is right. I tend to stay a version or two back. This new one is such a mess I might try to downgrade maybe Version 28 or something.

At least PaleMoon is sensible ... but I haven't updated that one yet!
:o

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:52 AM »
Fortunately, there is this add-on.

If I wanted a browser that looked like chrome, I would either use chrome, or one of the clones such as yandex (which probably does the reporting to KGB, instead of CIA). Would I use firefox? doubt it.

Anyway, the ESR (Extended support release) channel is still based on 24, so I'll be fine for half a year or so.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:09 AM »
As eleman mentioned, there is the Classic Theme Restorer add-on.  Martin, over at gHacks, recently did an article on it.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/04/26/turn-new-firefox-29-old-firefox/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Shades of the tablet mindset and overall hubris that drove Win8/Metro! (And mostly into the ground AFAIC. :down:)

Did Mozilla hire Sinofsky or something?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:07 AM »

Regards,

Anand

Wow Anand is right. I tend to stay a version or two back. This new one is such a mess I might try to downgrade maybe Version 28 or something.

At least PaleMoon is sensible ... but I haven't updated that one yet!
:o

For Firefox Portable I recommend 27.0.  Even 27.01 introduced funky behavior.  I tried 28, then went back to 27.0.  Pale Moon latest(24.5.0) seems ok.  I notice Opera now is basically chrome while maintaining the old "click x times to copy a line" mouse actions.  Although the x64 Opera is fast.  Still I find FF/Pale Moon lets me have the FF AddOns.

Edit: I find Firefox Portable 27.0 plenty fast.  The main reason I have Pale Moon is so I can install it as the default browser.  As far as speed goes I really can't distinguish between them.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:13 AM »

I hate it when they do the ribbon bit.  The first thing I have to do is enable the menu bar.  Now it just wastes vertical space.  The only compensation is if you are running Glass.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Shades of the tablet mindset and overall hubris that drove Win8/Metro! (And mostly into the ground AFAIC. :down:)

Did Mozilla hire Sinofsky or something?

Well, after reading skwire's Ghacks article I'm inclined to agree with you. Here's why:
The Firefox button is gone. It has been replaced with what web designers call a Hamburger button
-GHacks

Um... Hamburger Button? Is that the new shit design excuse paradigm being used these days, to just give something a catchy sounding name to explain away why stuff just got piled together in a corner instead of putting in the time to find a right way of doing it?

Yeah, that's a finger-rific design alright ... And I know just what finger to use too.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Alrighty then, Firefox is no longer my default browser. Pale Moon it is. Firefox shortcut moved into 5th place among browsers, after IE.

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 12:18 PM »
As skwire mentions, Firefox 29 - Classic Theme Restorer is a must. Unless you like chrome like interface..

Took me awhile to set everything back (interface) to pre-FF 29 (update various plugins and settings).

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Mozilla have done one of the sillier things I have ever seen online. To quote Gump ... That's all I have to say about that.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Firefox is no longer my default browser. Pale Moon it is.
Do you still use K-Meleon?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I don't mind the new look. In fact I think I kind of like it.

What I don't like is how every few seconds the CPU usage spikes up and Firefox becomes unresponsive for a second or two. What's up with that?

Firefox CPU Usage.png
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:07 PM by Deozaan »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 05:08 PM »
What I don't like is how every few seconds the CPU usage spikes up and Firefox becomes unresponsive for a second or two. What's up with that?

us being the final beta testers?

I havent tried 29 yet (but now I've checked the 'About', it looks like I will after the next restart...)
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 05:09 PM »
As skwire mentions, Firefox 29 - Classic Theme Restorer is a must. Unless you like chrome like interface..

Took me awhile to set everything back (interface) to pre-FF 29 (update various plugins and settings).

Well that's a start, though it's different from the way I had it before, but I only use FF proper for a few things so I'll think about it.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Regarding the the Firefox button changing to a "Hamburger button" - I'm running FF 28 and I don't see a Firefox button, so I guess I won't miss it.

In fact, from looking at the screenshots in the GHacks article, it looks like the only thing I'd notice in a move to v29 is the new rounded corners on the tabs.  I wonder what's wrong with my v28 install?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 06:27 PM »

us being the final beta testers?

I havent tried 29 yet (but now I've checked the 'About', it looks like I will after the next restart...)

That's what I thought too, then I went and changed my settings to ask before installing any updates and then deleted the contents of the folder whose name was in all caps, sitting in C:\Users\[NAME]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\updates before restarting Firefox.

That will stop the update dead in its tracks, if you have accidentally triggered it and haven't restarted your browser yet.  ;)

Firefox is no longer my default browser. Pale Moon it is.
Do you still use K-Meleon?

On occasion, I do, but for the most part, I have been using Firefox for quite awhile. It depends on the specs of the machine I am using at the moment, and what work I am required to do.

Regarding the the Firefox button changing to a "Hamburger button" - I'm running FF 28 and I don't see a Firefox button, so I guess I won't miss it.

In fact, from looking at the screenshots in the GHacks article, it looks like the only thing I'd notice in a move to v29 is the new rounded corners on the tabs.  I wonder what's wrong with my v28 install?

Oh, it would be a MAJOR change for me.

Imported my Firefox profile to Pale Moon and it is about identical now to what I had in Firefox (with the addition of the RSS icon in the address bar):

Screenshot - 4_30_2014 , 7_16_01 PM.pngFirefox 29 - soooooo similar to Chrome

And I just cleaned up the bookmarks toolbar, today. So it's only 2 rows, instead of 3 showing and scrolling to see the rest, which is what it was when I woke up this morning.  :D

But you guys should expect as much from me, knowing how I keep my taskbar.  :P

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19 PM »
nightly.jpg
http://nightly.mozilla.org/

As of this writing, Nightly is at ver. 32.0a1, so I've had rounded tabs and "hamburger button" for a few months now.  I do have the Nightly app icon in the upper left though, so I can tell it's not Chrome (-ium). 
Meh.  It's still Firefox, Classic Theme Restorer mentioned above should do the trick.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:00 AM by Edvard »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 06:58 AM »
As eleman mentioned, there is the Classic Theme Restorer add-on.  Martin, over at gHacks, recently did an article on it.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/04/26/turn-new-firefox-29-old-firefox/

Does anyone know what option to choose to restore the "plus" button next to the tab for "Open a new tab" (as in this image)?

https://addons.cdn.m...?modified=1396443041

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 09:12 AM »
That will stop the update dead in its tracks, if you have accidentally triggered it and haven't restarted your browser yet

Thanks for that tip App. I hate that when it tries to update even though I have it set to ask me first.  I haven't bothered to look if that bug is already registered.  If I do "check for updates" just to see if there is one, it tries to install it if it finds it.  Really annoying.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 09:35 AM »
That will stop the update dead in its tracks, if you have accidentally triggered it and haven't restarted your browser yet

Thanks for that tip App. I hate that when it tries to update even though I have it set to ask me first.  I haven't bothered to look if that bug is already registered.  If I do "check for updates" just to see if there is one, it tries to install it if it finds it.  Really annoying.

+1

oddly, in my case, the update didnt work anyway
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 02:38 PM »

Thanks for that tip App. I hate that when it tries to update even though I have it set to ask me first.  I haven't bothered to look if that bug is already registered.  If I do "check for updates" just to see if there is one, it tries to install it if it finds it.  Really annoying.

+1

oddly, in my case, the update didnt work anyway

Somebody needs to take that mechanism out of the portable builds.  When you click to install the update on a portable it should pop up a dialog saying "We don't need no stinkin' updates!  'dis is da' portable version!"  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Well, I've nothing against the new chrome style (I value vertical space), but finally got around to installing PaleMoon x64 (ver.24.5 on Win7). I seem to have been able to install or replace my most important addons, I'm even sharing a Session Manager folder with Firefox, so a fairly seamless move...

So far I'm happy with a noticeable improvement in performance (my main complaint with FF for a good while now). With about 60 tabs 'open' (only about 10 loaded) CPU usage a *lot* better than same session in FF; GPU (mainly dwm.exe) same or lower with videos playing :up:

Apologies for veering slightly off-topic ;-)
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Apologies for veering slightly off-topic ;-)

Heh I'd argue that it's not - "FF-Chrome" is sending lots of people here to PaleMoon!

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 01:14 AM »
Took me 3 hours yesterday to get FF 29 to the way I like it!  >:(