topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: wont boot normally!  (Read 6918 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wont boot normally!
« on: October 01, 2013, 03:23 AM »
Hello,  if someone can help me here regarding computer start up. This happened just today:
 I m using Winxp, and I had restored an xp image 2 days back.
 But today I am experiencing the lag in normal boot times.  The normal boot time ws 4/5 minutes: but now it has extended to 10/11 minutes and more

I m on a dual boot, (xp/7) but I use xp more
I think it is a hardware issue. The problem is effecting two Os. Which is strange

Any suggestions welcome.

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: wont boot normally!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 03:29 AM »
Tell us more -- are you saying it boots successfully it just takes a long time?

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:51 AM »
Tell us more -- are you saying it boots successfully it just takes a long time?

Yeah that's the problem.  It boots but takes a longer time.
I tried booting in safe mode , on both the OS's: which it does. I tried chkdsk from xp recovery disc

Since I do not use Antivirus, I rely solely on virtualization amd restoration of the images.  This problem is un-understandable, I m tired of restoring, few problem should have fewer solutions for. Also before this I got a lot of BSOD's .

As of now, only other thing I can think is of the graphic card, being loose.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42 AM »
A couple of ideas:

Check the System Event Log in XP just after it boots - any errors/warnings?

Get SysInternals' AutoRuns, see if it shows a lot of startup stuff that is either:
a) not supposed to be there, or
b) an entry exists but the file/program is missing, eg.

2013-10-01 18_43_56-Autoruns [7x7x64_4wd] - Sysinternals_ www.sysinternals.com.pngwont boot normally!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:57 AM »
My ideas:

1. Maybe you installed something that now decides it wants to "load on boot". Aspects of Java, LibreOffice, and all manner of otherwise legit programs certainly aren't viruses, but suppose you missed some little box during the install.

2. While you don't use that specifically, MS Security Essentials decides it wants to scan bunches of stuff on boot, so then it "fights" for the boot cpu processing power during boot up.

3. It takes time for my machine to re-link all the shortcuts, again chewing up cpu power.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:58 AM »
It is always a good idea to reconnect every plug inside your PC case once in a while, especially when your case was physically moved or when experiencing sudden strange problems like this.

I have here a 2TB SATA 3 hard disk , that I had to remove from my server, because it made the system unbearably slow. None of the hard disks in that system would reach SATA 1 speeds. Neither Windows or S.M.A.R.T reports errors on it and I cannot even use it stand-alone. And it did this after only 3 month's of use. The replacement I got, did the same after 1.5 months.

Do you have another HD lying around that you can spool back one or both OS's back onto it and see if that is your problem?

Since I have been living here I do not trust the whole "slim-line" of Seagate hard disks anymore, or their hard disks between 501GB and 0.99TB or HD's between 1.01TB and 2.99TB. Seagate really doesn't sell their A-grade stuff here in the South Americas.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:16 AM »
A couple of ideas:

Check the System Event Log in XP just after it boots - any errors/warnings?

Get SysInternals' AutoRuns, see if it shows a lot of startup stuff that is either:
a) not supposed to be there, or
b) an entry exists but the file/program is missing, eg.
 (see attachment in previous post)

That looks amazing! I hadn't paid attention to SysInternals lately since Mark R went over to work for Microsoft. But that copy/version looks brand new!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Definitely sounds like an HD issue. FWIW your regular 4 to 5 minute boot time is not normal for XP either.

I'm guessing something about your WinXP restore is confusing XP or the BIOS about your drive configuration on boot-up. Until that gets sorted your boot will be delayed significantly.

If it's something in software, running msconfig.exe from the run dialog will allow you to disable everything but native Windows startup items. If you're lucky, it will boot much more quickly - after which you can turn your startup items on one by one and reboot after each to determine which is causing the problem.

Also check your BIOS and let it know your "OS is plug&play" if that option is available.  If you're running Windows the OS should be allowed to handle all hardware identification and configuration by itself.

Also check your boot device priority sequence. Make sure you don't have nonexistent devices preceding the HD in the lineup. If you don't have a floppy, remove it from the choices. If you only rarely boot from a CD or USB device, put those choices after your HD in the boot device list. And if an option to boot from the network is on the list, move it to last place or disable the option completely. (Most PCs won't ever use that feature - and you'll already know if you actually do need it.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:13 AM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 12:28 PM »
XP/2000 had a bad habit of dropping drives down to PIO mode, but I don't recall ever having heard of that effecting Win7.

After the machine boots slowly, does it continue to run slowly, or does the resource usage calm down after a bit. When the machine is slow does the CPU show 80-100% high usage? Or is it sitting at/under 10%.

I'm just thinking out loud in the direction of heat. Like something along the lines of dust buildup or a CPU/chipset heat sink that is no longer seated well.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 01:45 PM »
I'm just thinking out loud in the direction of heat. Like something along the lines of dust buildup or a CPU/chipset heat sink that is no longer seated well.

I would definitely look into this possibility. It would explain not only long load times for Windows but also frequent BSODs. I've run into this problem a few times with poorly designed cases that let a lot of dust in. Over time the dust can fill in the spaces in between the heat sink fins, blocking air from the fan from getting through.

It may be something else entirely, but at this point I would definitely recommend cracking open the case to thoroughly clean and reseat (unplug plug in) anything and everything. If it's a somewhat old computer, which it sounds like it is if you're running XP, I'd also clean the dialectric (thermal paste) off the CPU and heat sink and apply a new coating. Make sure to spread it as thin as possible because all it's for is filling in the microscopic air gaps.

Also if there are filters for the case fans make sure to give them a thorough cleaning to make sure they're not obstructing airflow. If the case fans don't have filters, especially any intake fans, I highly recommend adding them.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 03:37 PM »
One giveaway for overheating issues is spontaneous rebooting. Also lockups or chkdsk/bad sector warnings on bootup. If the problem is thermal and it's occurring on boot, odds are pretty good theres already damage to a component or components so it may be too late for a cleaning to help.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 04:12 PM »
One giveaway for overheating issues is spontaneous rebooting. Also lockups or chkdsk/bad sector warnings on bootup. If the problem is thermal and it's occurring on boot, odds are pretty good theres already damage to a component or components so it may be too late for a cleaning to help.

Maybe there's damage and maybe not. It's primarily going to depend on how well the thermal shutdown mechanism has worked and how many times it's happened. Chances are it would have reduced the lifespan of the CPU, but in my experience most of the time when overheating is causing crashes the CPU is still entirely functional and will still work fine once you solve the heat problem.

Even if it's not, if you suspect that's the problem but aren't sure it's a good way to check. If there's damage it won't fix the problem obviously, but if it does fix the problem you don't need to keep looking. Of course if it doesn't and you still suspect overheating the next step should be to start using a temp monitor.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.