topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Screenshot Captor Early Beta Release: v4.6.4 Beta - Sep 11, 2013  (Read 21040 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Early beta to try:

Let me know how it works.

v4.6.4 BETA - September 11, 2013

• [Feature] Added new shape option for arrows (circle endpoints).
  • [Feature] New quick-search-bar for easy filtering of screenshots listed in thumbnail panel (see view menu).
  • [Feature] Added File menu item to close current file and have nothing loaded.
  • [Feature] You can now sort standard thumbnail sidebar with newest at top if you like.
  • [Feature] New option (enabled by default) to auto-select next file after deletions.
  • [Feature] New option (Print tab) to invert colors of printouts (maybe useful if printing mostly black images on laser printer).
  • [Feature] New help panel when in object editing mode (you can disable this new behavior from the Object Drawing options tab).
  • [Feature] The Caption toolbar button will now help you EDIT an existing caption, replacing and resizing the existing caption text object.
  • [Feature] New item in Object menu to remove an existing caption.
  • [Improvement] If user accidentally loads a second instance, the error message and behavior is clearer.
  • [Improvement] SC now remembers sorting column+direction in list/detail thumbnail sidebar modes.
  • [Improvement] Improved sizing of columns in different detail view modes; new simple left hand list mode.
  • [Improvement] When set to stay minimized after capture, if SC was onscreen when capture initiated, it would jump to front and not always relinquish foreground window after completion.  Note that the SC window does return to the screen and not minimize if it was on screen when capture initiated.
  • [Improvement] Better support for dragging and dropping images from other programs (especially web browser) onto main window.
  • [Improvement] Starting your word in the new screenshot filter edit box with ~ will show files that do NOT match what it typed next.
  • [Improvement] Caption dialog form now has a multiline memo for the caption text.
  • [Change] Iff multiple images are selected, the toolbar delete button will now delete all instead of just the current image.
  • [Change/Bugfix] Line/Arrow labels with "no-border" mode set could sometimes show a border; now the no-border option shows no border and draws label text directly over existing background.
  • [BugFix] Print preview settings (margins, orientation, etc.) triggered from post-capture dialog were not being synchronized with main print preview settings.
  • [BugFix] If you brought up Print setup dialog, and from their print properties dialog, it could be hidden behind main window.
  • [BugFix] Fixed case where the last file might not be loaded (or scrolled down to) at start of program.
  • [BugFix] The fix to keep printer setup dialog on top was messing with other forms appearing behind main window.
  • [BugFix] When SC was on screen at time of initiating capture, sometimes the current foreground window was not preserved as focused window (and did not show up in capture as an active window).
  • [BugFix] If a modal message was showing, it was possible to toggle main form visible or initiate a capture, hiding the modal message.
  • [BugFix] Redbox (scrolling and object capture modes) were not obeying the stay-minimized-after-capture options.
  • [BugFix] Choosing an object (like arrow) to draw, and changing properties BEFORE drawing, was not obeying new settings.
  • [BugFix] Fixed an error that could occur when using network paths for home/screenshot/config directories.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:10 PM by mouser »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor Early Beta Release: v4.6.4 Beta - Sep 11, 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 04:50 PM »
[Change] Iff multiple images are selected, the toolbar delete button will now delete all instead of just the current image.

this works with the delete key too

After deleting, selection jumps to next newest shot  :Thmbsup:

[Improvement] Added new shape option for arrows (circle endpoints).

Cool, I don't think I've seen this option till now, or even noticed the text border's options - box, round box, ellipse and none.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Works nicely now with regard to deleting files: focus moves to the file/thumbnail below the deleted one (newest is to bottom of panel).
Multiple file delete works the same way. I'm happy :-)
Thanks!!

(I used the install version)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 04:54 PM »
 :Thmbsup:

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 04:55 PM »
After deleting, selection jumps to next newest shot

i think it's jumping to the older when a newer is not in the thumbnails

thanks, tomos, posting at the same time as you were

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 05:05 PM »
After deleting, selection jumps to next newest shot

i think it's jumping to the older when a newer is not in the thumbnails

yes, confirmed  :up:
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Sample of circle endpoint on line labels:
ForMaya_ver013.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 01:56 PM »
The new search bar may be useful to some (see View menu).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Sample of circle endpoint on line labels: (see attachment in previous post)

^looks classy :up:
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:45 PM »
The new search bar may be useful to some (see View menu).
??

Where.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:54 PM »
looks like you need to re-download (or i need to re-upload).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 04:24 PM »
looks like you need to re-download (or i need to re-upload).
So, I did.

Ohhh, so I did....png

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 08:58 PM »
thanks again for the updates! for me, the new quick-search-bar takes the cake! :Thmbsup:

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 07:22 AM »
The search bar is a great addition  :Thmbsup:

However, I get unexpected behavior. For example, if I search for 01_08_13 (this is for images that were created on 1st August 2013 and had the date as part of the name), I also seem to get a copy of the another image.  In the attachment below the 'unwanted' image was from 15th August and after I took the screenshot of SSC it refreshed the panel and replaced the incorrectly included image with the latest image I had just taken!

Can anyone else reproduce this or is it just my set-up?

[Edit]: If I type total random garbage into the search bar the same image shows up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:29 AM by dluby »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 07:32 AM »
I think you'll find that the "random" image that shows up is the currently loaded image.

In other words, it will always list the currently loaded image, even if it doesn't match the search.

xcopy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 12:09 AM »
This circle-endpoint thing is really useful, thanks!

One thing that often confuses me:
If you choose the style of the start-/endpoint *before" you actually draw the line, at the first line the endpoint is unaffected from the setting.
It's not a big problem because with some extra clicking you can change this but I'm always stepping in that same trap.
This is what I mean:

http://screencast.com/t/P0zvq0GW

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 03:00 PM »
I tried the new version and the option to auto select next file after deletion is working for me. This is a big improvement for me as my screenshot directory can have many files and previously it was a pain after deletion to have the arrow keys cause the selection to jump to the top of the list, then have to scroll all the way back to where I was in the list.

Any chance incorporating the request in this next release that someone made previously to have the arrow keys move / nudge the cursor cross-hairs in Grab Selected Region mode? Also to have the cross-hairs themselves made more visible, i.e. a solid line as opposed to a dashed line. I sometimes have a hard time seeing the dashed line, a solid line would be more visible. A solid line would need to use some sort of inverse color when moving over lighter and darker backgrounds.

Keep up the good work.

sba

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 01:54 AM »
It seems this update fixes the problem with regional settings: I've set my machine to half a dozen different country settings, and ScreenShotCaptor correctly starts up and preserves settings e.g. the position of the main window (haven't tested further, though).

While I'm at it, I want to report a slight but visually annoying case issue: in the "copy to clipboard" menu on the systray icon, the word "bitmap" starts with an uppercase "B" whereas all other choices are in lowercase. Similarly, in the "To clipboard" menu of the post-capture dialog, "Image" and "File" start with an uppercase letter, whereas "path "starts with a lowercase "p." This should be aligned IMVHO.

HTH

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 11:08 AM »
Thanks for pointing out the inconsistencies; they will be fixed in next release.

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Well, to be more consistent, shouldn't it just be referred to as "Image" instead of "Image bitmap", or "Image / region Bitmap", or "Bitmap"? Bitmap to me implies a *.bmp filetype. If you don't have bitmap set as your default image filetype, then it could be confusing. Why not just refer to it as "Image" in the Edit>Copy to Clipboard menu and Post Capture Options settings?

Did you happen to see my post above about enabling use of hte arrow keys and changing the cross hair and box color during selection?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Well, to be more consistent, shouldn't it just be referred to as "Image" instead of "Image bitmap", or "Image / region Bitmap", or "Bitmap"? Bitmap to me implies a *.bmp filetype. If you don't have bitmap set as your default image filetype, then it could be confusing. Why not just refer to it as "Image" in the Edit>Copy to Clipboard menu and Post Capture Options settings?

there are inconsistencies in the world of images - the use of 'bitmap' is one. It is often used to imply a pixel image - as opposed to a vector one. To me 'image' could also be a vector image. But as you say this leads to confusion due to the bmp format...
Tom

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 10:57 AM »
So it sounds like there are bitmap images and vector images. If the words "bitmap" and "vector" are adjectives that describe the noun "images", why not just eliminate the adjective and refer to the thing that is being captured as an "image"? I think if you asked 9 out of 10 people, they couldn't decribe the difference between bitmap and vector images.

Also, wondering if Mouser saw the request to incorporate the use of the arrow keys and cross hairs and outlines when capturing regions that I described above?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 12:03 PM »

While I can understand how it would be confusing, it's actually more complicated than that and bitmap is probably the least obscure terminology to use. If you're saving to PNG or TIFF format when you open the file you'll still have the original bitmap to work with. But if you're converting to JPEG  after capture but before editing it's not a bitmap (ie raster) file any more.

When you open your JPEG it will be decoded to a bitmap but it won't be identical to the bitmap you captured. JPEG compression results in a sophisticated mathematical approximation of the original bitmap. It's sort of like the difference between the original audio ripped from a CD and a MP3 file. You might not notice or care about the difference but if you do it's an important distinction.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41 PM »
One thing that often confuses me:
If you choose the style of the start-/endpoint *before" you actually draw the line, at the first line the endpoint is unaffected from the setting.

thanks xbeta -- that bug is now on my todo list.
hopefully fixed in new upload.

Did you happen to see my post above about enabling use of hte arrow keys and changing the cross hair and box color during selection?

bubba, let's discuss in a separate thread.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:05 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 12:10 PM »
New beta uploaded, with a couple of noteworthy improvements.

One should help new users work in object mode.  When you switch to object mode to add an object, the bottom panel which normally shows filename and memo now looks like this:

Screenshot - 9 6 2013 , 12 07 08 PM.pngScreenshot Captor Early Beta Release: v4.6.4 Beta - Sep 11, 2013

Note that experts can disable this from Object Drawing options tab if they wish.

The point of this is to solve the problem where new users click on the arrow toolbar button or something similar, and then find themselves in object editing mode with no idea how to get out of it.

What do you think of this? Any suggestions for additional/modified text to display there for beginners?  Should I color it differently so it will really stand out?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:05 PM by mouser »