topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best method for a dead simple web site?  (Read 21828 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best method for a dead simple web site?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 09:42 AM »
The only real advantage to, say, WordPress.com, is automated security updates, but that can sometimes break your site.

And that's why every self-hosted wordpress site I set up takes 3-5 hours, just for the security checks and enhancements, setup of automated update notifications & off-site backups.  :huh:

After that, your site notifies you by email, when it needs you to update something, at which point it's one click to make an immediate backup of database and all files, so you can roll back if the update breaks things, till you can figure out a solution.

I have become an expert in setting this stuff up.

I had the OP's best interests in mind: how to get your computer illiterate wife off your back, sorry, make her more independent  ;) And surely it must be less hassle to just select a log-on and password and a theme on Wordpress.com, then to have to get into the whole business of downloading Wordpress, getting server space, uploading it, installing it, and then regularly having to update it (however much that appeals to DoCo's techie audience  ;D). It's just more work.

Which is why I offered to do most of the work for him if he wants my help. Then it's just a matter of picking a theme and setting up WLW for her, leaving the rest to me.  ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 04:06 PM »
I have become an expert in setting this stuff up.

I'll vouch for this: app has setup a site for me.
When I say 'setup', I mean everything from domain name to hosting to Wordpress plus a contact page (all free) - and all I did was be a fussy beggar when it came to choosing a theme :-)

I'm very happy with it :Thmbsup:
Tom

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28 PM »
and all I did was be a fussy beggar when it came to choosing a theme :-)

And he was so fussy that he abandoned all the other ideas when he saw the default theme that comes with Wordpress, and decided it was perfect for what he had in mind.  ;D

But looking at all those other themes wasn't a complete waste of my time. My daughter found one she really liked a lot for use on her own portfolio site, if she ever finally decides if she really wants one or not, and I found a few for some other purposes of my own.

When I say 'setup', I mean everything from domain name to hosting to Wordpress plus a contact page (all free)

It wasn't entirely free. Instead of it costing him any money for my services, I did it in exchange for a small favor in the near future.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Although I recommended wordpress, I also want to agree with TalksToPCs when he says:

I'm sorry, late to the game, I know, but WordPress is not dead simple. Us techies may not realize it, but WordPress is relatively complex.

To say Wordpress is "simple" is setting people up for some real frustration.

It would probably be better to say that if you can find someone with some Wordpress experience, or if you are willing to do some significant learning, Wordpress can be an excellent choice in terms of the level of work required to get a relatively simple but nicely functioning and flexible website.

And in my opinion, going with one of these all-in-in one hosted services is going to be a TON less work and maintenance than setting up your own hosting, as long as you are willing to give up some freedom, control, and guarantees.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Hmmm... I'd actually disagree.  If you want a dead simple installation... wordpress is as dead simple as it gets.  Now there's more behind the scenes as you add stuff on... but to get the basic themes up and running, even self hosted, you can do it with very minimal technical experience.  It just depends on who you get for hosting at that point.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Hmmm... I'd actually disagree.  If you want a dead simple installation... wordpress is as dead simple as it gets.  Now there's more behind the scenes as you add stuff on... but to get the basic themes up and running, even self hosted, you can do it with very minimal technical experience.  It just depends on who you get for hosting at that point.

Concur.

I set up WordPress for a then client, over her dial-up connection, in ~fifteen (15) minutes, on her Web host.  Spent another fifteen (15) minutes or so installing - and explaining! - Windows Live Writer (which wasn't Live then).  She was publishing within forty-five (45) minutes of coming off the blocks.  There were complications after that, mostly furniture moving, but she was up and running in less than an hour, including tutorial time.  (She was scandalously political and opinionated:  some of her postings got her kicked off WordPress.com  ;D.)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04 PM »
I agree and disagree with Wordpress' simplicity to setup and maintain.

I agree that it's easy to install, especially on hosts that have Fantastico (or an equivalent) that offers 1 click installing.

I disagree in that properly securing it is a completely other story...quite complex, with having to deal with things like editing .htaccess files, knowing if you can relocate your config file, knowing what the error messages mean if you get any while configuring and running automatic offsite backups, knowing what to do if your hosting provider has blocked access to your login page "for security reasons" and being able to actually do it without messing your site up. Checking and fixing file & folder permissions, and knowing what each should be to protect your blog without breaking things. Knowing that you should create 2 accounts on your blog and never use the admin account for posting, knowing that you should delete the first account created so no account has a user ID of 1.

And for the infrequent blogger, keeping it up to date when you don't login very often to see the "you need to update X" messages, and not knowing how to set things up so your blog emails you when something needs your attention.

It's a 3-5 hour job to do everything and not for the faint of heart, non-techie, or wordpress newbie. But once done, it's quite secure and easy to keep everything up to date.

And yes, I did all of this that I could, and more, for the site I set up for tomos and I am managing it for him, so all he has to worry about is posting his images....I take care of the rest. I even made a bunch of sample posts for him to learn from.

And I was offering to do the exact same thing for cranioscopical, if he wants it, so all he will have to do is install WLW on his wife's computer and show her how to use it, which is easier than using AOL email.

But a simple out of the box install is very easy, if that's all you want or care about.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 10:27 AM »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 12:10 PM »
for easy...wouldn't squarespacebe the best?
http://www.squarespace.com/stories

squarespace is way easier than wordpress.  if wordpress takes hours to setup, squarespace takes minutes.  i'm talking full customization and everything.

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Drupal!

er... no, I meant to say WordPress!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Setting up your own domain should be recognized as a different beast from hosted solutions.
All or most hosted solutions like WordPress.com are basically sign up and 'Add new something' and a bit more for choosing themes for example.
As far as self hosted goes the WP installer is surely the easiest? with or without dealing with Fantastico type tools. Also with WP afterwards you need something like ftp rarely (often never) which adds another layer of complexity for the non-techy user.