topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: RegaLink  (Read 56847 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RegaLink
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 06:20 PM »
1. Specify URL.txt filename on the command-line. Critical-- since the program allows multiple instances to be active (yay!), it would be really great to be able to launch each one with a different URL.txt file.

- Can be currently achieved (rather cumbersome but works) by having the executable in separate folders for each task - Not the final idea...but until I implement CLI then it will have to do

2. Capitalize (not ALL CAPS) for the word "Add" on the right-mouseclick menu.

- Done

3. I believe that URL.txt files may be programmatically generated by processes; as such, these would be nice additions:

- Huh?

3a. Allow for a "heading" of some sort in URL.txt. When read, the list on screen has some heading displayed.

- I assume you mean in the Form Title? - I will add something temporary here until you reply (Check the settings window in the new version I will be uploading) Seems I added the temp idea - Press CTRL-R in the main window :)

3b. Allow for a "separator" of some sort in URL.txt. When read, the list on screen has some separator displayed.

-More information please

3c. Allow for a "comment" indicator in URL.txt Simply skip the line when reading in.

-Not yet done

4. Header graphic control: if specified on the command-line, RegaLink will use a JPG file above the current multi-panel display. If the specified graphic is not found, isn't the right size, or otherwise strange, it'll use an internal graphic. This would go a long way toward customization and personalization, and even allows for integration with other programs.

-CLI not implemented yet - However, do you mean this to replace the "RegaLink" logo thing?  If so, I could quite easily just add this by loading up the graphic from the folder as a logo.png file, instead of containing the graphic inside the EXE, if this would help for now?

5. Color control for font, background, borders, whatever. Either ad hoc via command-line, or from a family of color choices, or even a config file? A config file might be a convenient place to park options.

- Added a stop-gap font option...currently doesn't save, but want to know if this is how you mean :)

6. Font size flexibility: you'll be old someday too.

-As above

7. Change the time format to (something like) 14 May 10:25 AM: My thinking here is that year values won't really ever be needed, and quite probably seconds. A human-optimized date format

- Going to figure out how to user-specify this option :)

~~~~~DOWNLOAD TO FOLLOW~~~~~

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 06:28 PM »

This is an EXPERIMENTAL download - THIS ONLY CONTAINS THE EXECUTABLE - NO OTHER FILES ARE INCLUDED

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS BUILD, PLEASE REVERT BACK TO THE PREVIOUS EXECUTABLE AND REPORT PROBLEMS!

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2013, 07:47 PM »
  I would hate to see this become a bloated, bug filled app.  Add in too many request and that's what it may wind up as.....   :o

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2013, 07:50 PM »
  I would hate to see this become a bloated, bug filled app.  Add in too many request and that's what it may wind up as.....   :o

Hence why this is an experimental download, not even classed as Beta :) - I want to see how the reaction is to it.

To be honest, I had not really planned to take this much further, hence why I released the code for it.  But, I don't mind adding a couple more features...Certainly don't see why it would be bug filled...Obviously not sure if this release has bugs...but seeing as I added very little and the code is simple as hell...it is unlikely :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2013, 07:52 PM »

Hence why this is an experimental download, not even classed as Beta :) - I want to see how the reaction is to it.

To be honest, I had not really planned to take this much further, hence why I released the code for it.  But, I don't mind adding a couple more features...Certainly don't see why it would be bug filled...Obviously not sure if this release has bugs...but seeing as I added very little and the code is simple as hell...it is unlikely :)
-Stephen66515 (July 20, 2013, 07:50 PM)

Well I'm rooting for ya'!   :)

cci8j

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Wow, sorry to be away. I hadn't noticed the activity, and I wouldn't want that to be interpretted as losing interest.

I've prepared this reply to sort out some of the confusion my previous post may have caused, and to help further flesh out the ideas I have in mind-- they'll benefit from your thinking as well.

First, I should say that I've downloaded your beta version and kicked the tires, thanks for compiling and sharing!

I had requested a "programmatic re-labeling," as it were-- not to the window, rather to the "Stay Productive" legend. I certainly value being urged to stay productive, but I think we can put that area of screen real estate to clever use!

ReplName.jpg

If you'll indulge me, let's step back for a moment, and I'll show you the power I already see in Regalink, and what I'm driving at. Hopefully, it's a place you want to go!

I mentioned that "other programs may create URL.txt files," and that's why they need to be named on the command line. I say that because there's LOTS of ways to end up with a collection of URLs you want to visit. You could, for example, save a file from your browser's bookmarks. Or, you could screen scrape a page on the web. Or the results of a query, or... you get the idea. In fact, I see the world like this:

processes.jpg

That's OK, Regalink doesn't really care where its input file came from, as long as it's syntactically correct. That's a beautiful thing, and it becomes the underpinning of my other requests...

Consider the commandline execution I requested. Those lines might look something like this:

cmdlines.jpg

Those would hopefully execute 3 instances of Regalink, like these:
news.jpg

and

guitar.jpg

and

blogs.jpg

This would be VERY powerful in terms of general desktop integration. You might remember my earlier note regarding "not caring if the URL is on the web, or local to the machine (that is, a file execution)..." Given these capabilities (and I think they are very close to your grasp), you could envision a future where while you sleep, some process gathers up or makes decisions on what URLs you should visit, and then pops up a Regalink window, properly named, with links and commands in a nice ordered list.

Personally, I think the date and time stamping may ultimately not be worth too much fuss, but certainly succinct display is warranted. 99.99% of the time, I'm sure that the "year" or "tenths-of-seconds" are not going to be needed. I would suggest that the information might not really be needed in its entirety, but I admit I could be shortsighted on this count.

Lastly then, let's consider the file format for the "URL.txt" file. Consider this file:

; OK, let's pretend that this is the contents of URL.txt
;
; First, some nomenclature. Look at the first character in each of the following lines:
;
; This is a "comment" indicator in URL.txt Simply skip the line when reading in.
# This is a "heading" line. When read, the list on screen has some heading displayed.
% This is a "separator" of some sort in URL.txt. When read, the list on screen has some separator displayed.
;
; These can be quite useful. At a minimum, it allows us to embed comments in URL.txt that might be useful
; to us, especially if we're generating URL.txt programmatically. For example, we might note these facts:
;
; The following URLs were gathered by a perl script munging an RSS feed (myHappyPerlScript.pl)
; The intended use is opening in Regalink.
;
;
https://www.donationcoder.com
http://www.imgur.com
http://www.google.com
;
;
; Since we're still pretending, consider this:
# Political Blogs
http://www.politicalblog1.com
http://www.politicalblog2.com
http://www.politicalblog3.com
%
# Food Blogs
http://www.foodblog1.com
http://www.foodblog2.com
http://www.foodblog3.com
%
# Music Blogs
http://www.musicblog1.com
http://www.musicblog2.com
http://www.musicblog3.com
;
;

Maybe, just maybe, there's a way that such a file could look like this:
combo.jpg

Now, I admit, this is all vapor at the moment, but you're really not that far away, and this is much more like the napkin I'd be drawing on if we were seated opposite each other at the pub, and turning over ideas on what this software could be.

Let me come up for air, then, and ask what you think, and which bits might be the next easiest to knock out? Great journeys are taken in small steps, after all. 8)

Cheers, and thanks for your efforts!

-cci8j

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Wow...I think I am in with a chance to win the award for most delayed reply on DonationCoder.com ever...and not even sure you still check the forums here, but anyhow:

I am no longer developing RegaLink as I no longer have enough free time to code :(  I released the code to the world for people to modify and use however they want.

The code was released with no license attached...you are free to download/use/play with/modify/set on fire as much as you want :)

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Wow...I think I am in with a chance to win the award for most delayed reply on DonationCoder.com ever...and not even sure you still check the forums here, but anyhow:

I am no longer developing RegaLink as I no longer have enough free time to code :(  I released the code to the world for people to modify and use however they want.

The code was released with no license attached...you are free to download/use/play with/modify/set on fire as much as you want :)

I have been working on a complete rewrite of one similar it will be due out late this year (NANY 2015) if all goes as planned.

An actual current screenshot with some options disabled/enabled:
screen_08312014.pngRegaLink

Rest of the info ATM is classified including the name of said program.

Edit: Mouser thought I should let everyone know and show a teaser so everyone would know a version that is similar is being worked on...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:41 PM by hamradio, Reason: Edit: See the edit text... »

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2014, 10:51 AM »

I am no longer developing RegaLink as I no longer have enough free time to code :(  I released the code to the world for people to modify and use however they want.

I have been working on a complete rewrite of one similar it will be due out late this year (NANY 2015) if all goes as planned.

An actual current screenshot with some options disabled/enabled: (see attachment in previous post)
Rest of the info ATM is classified including the name of said program.

Edit: Mouser thought I should let everyone know and show a teaser so everyone would know a version that is similar is being worked on...

Ham, once you release the software, let me know and I will put the link up in the first post on this thread so people can see yours as well! xD

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Further to the mention about HamRadio's offering above, he has now released "Link Warlock" in Beta form on the NANY 2015 thread.

See his work here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=39172.0

NANY 2015 Entry Information

Application NameLink Warlock
Version0.10.6 build 2014
Short DescriptionAllows you to store entries in xml files to open and launch as needed with searching.
Supported OSesWindows 7+
Web PageNot Ready Yet
Download LinkDOWNLOAD AVAILABLE ON OFFICIAL THREAD
System Requirements
  • .NET Framework 4.5
  • Obviously a computer...
Version History
Authorhamradio

Description
Allows you to store entries in xml files to open and launch as needed with searching and other features.

Features (in no particular order)
  • Built-In toggle to show window always on top or not.
  • Customizable browser path, file launcher, and search url for searchwords.
  • Customizable default group names for new/imported entries.
  • Display/Hide parts of the interface you want/don't want to show.
  • Display/Hide selected columns as well as even hiding the column headers all together.
  • Each entry may have short notes added or none at all totally up to you.
  • Enter group names as appropriate for each entry if you don't want the default group names to be used.
  • Importation of plain text files with 1 entry per line and possible more import features will be implemented later down the road.
  • List header goes based on filename with smart capitalization and removal of underscores for spaces.
  • Nice tool tips shown when hovering over the group name as well as entry information for each column.
  • Search entries, notes, or just search both entries and notes at the same time.

Screenshots

The main screen... (see attachment in previous post)
The launch/default group names setup dialog... (see attachment in previous post)
Usage

Installation
Extract to any portable directory location and run.

Using the Application
Add urls, searchwords and/or file locations to the list, then click to launch.
Note: Can use <appdir> for macro for file location and a few others to be revealed later.

Uninstallation
Delete the Link Warlock files.

Known Issues
None at this time. Let me know of any please...

Inspired by...
RegaLink

Oct 6th, 2014 Notice
I will not be able to work on it much more till closer to the end of the month at least.

Download link at top of topic as well.

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2021, 07:51 AM »
Thank you!  Great work, Stephen66515