topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Newly coined term, "internet fury"? A sad article...  (Read 24710 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newly coined term, "internet fury"? A sad article...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Wow.  On so many levels.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 03:04 PM »
I thought this article gave some interesting background and perspective on the story:

http://amandablumwor...ss.com/2013/03/21/3/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:59 PM »
Yet another illustration of what happens when you confront the paradox of someone demanding "equality" while at the same time claiming privilege.

No easy solution to that one I'm afraid. In the end, it usually comes down to your siding with whoever you like better.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 04:16 PM »
@40hz:
About equality and privilege...you should read Nietschze. Already dead for so many years, but still manages to put the finger on the (politically incorrect) sore spot in society regarding equality and privilege. He also puts the blame for that where it belongs, if you would ask me.

As I have come to know you as a well-read person through this forum, I suspect you have read him already.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Women's lib taken to the extreme. Just a couple guys trading nerdy sex innuendos. She shoulda turned around and said she could overhear and found it offensive.  99% chance they'd have zipped it. I mean, c'mon: I could understand someone getting fired over repeated behavior like that in a mixed gender office setting, but a one-off at a conference?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:28 PM »
reading his context... part of it wasn't even sexual.  She put the connotations on it.  That is, if you believe him.

https://news.ycombin....com/item?id=5398681

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 05:38 PM »
As I have come to know you as a well-read person through this forum, I suspect you have read him already.

Thank you! Yes he did. (And yes I have.) ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 05:54 PM »
She shoulda turned around and said she could overhear and found it offensive.  99% chance they'd have zipped it.

reading his context... part of it wasn't even sexual.  She put the connotations on it.  That is, if you believe him.

https://news.ycombin....com/item?id=5398681

As Hosea cautioned: "They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind."

Forces once set in motion can quickly become impossible to control, with the result that everyone loses out more often than not.

As my martial arts instructor told my class: Always choose your venues. There will always be plenty of things to pick a fight over. But how many of them are actually worth it?  So don't go letting your mouth write checks your ass can't cover. Keep your mouth shut - and always know where the exit is.

Words of wisdom.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:06 PM »
What type of martial arts, 40? I took Shaolin Do for several years.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 10:22 PM »
* Stephen66515 sighs

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 10:46 PM »
What a disaster. All for a simple joke? Sheesh. People need to stop being so bloody thin skinned and overly sensitive. I'd almost say that she got what she had coming, but it's the same kind of idiocy - more PC overly sensitive nonsense. Poetic justice? The irony is only overshadowed by the silliness of the whole thing.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Capture.PNG

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 11:03 PM »
@kyrathaba - sent you a PM.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 01:50 PM »
IMHO

If women want equal rights...and by that I mean TRULY equal...then they should learn to take a fucking joke as a joke...Men call each other stupid names and throw stupid comments at each other, all the time...do we report those playful, non-hurtful comments?  No...

The same goes for overly sensitive men...

If you can't take a joke...stop listening and stfu...

As for saying <quote>"I'd fork that guys repo"</quote> ... Yes...that can (CAN...not SHOULD) be taken as a sexual innuendo...but only if you have a dirty mind and you decide to twist it into such.

Equal rights are exactly that...EQUAL...

...The following section is for both gender groups...

Stop being so overly sensitive all the goddamn time...It's fucking irritating and infuriating for the most part.

bitch.jpg

Before anybody replies, bitching about my opinion...Take a look here...
i-dont-care.jpg

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 02:48 PM »
[Stephen - Ignore! :P]

Funnily enough I think 'women's lib' and 'women want[ing] equal rights' are almost off-topic here.

That's what I thought quite brilliant about the article linked in the first post - it kept it at people, and how people interact, and the effects of not dealing with something directly and fairly etc. etc. (Once I got beyond the wow/wtf factor, it was a real pleasure to read.)
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Funnily enough I think 'women's lib' and 'women want[ing] equal rights' are almost off-topic here.

3) Shortly afterward, Playhaven said it had fired the developer. CEO Andy Yang explained, “As a company that is dedicated to gender equality and values honorable behavior,
-http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/21/a-dongle-joke-that-spiraled-way-out-of-control/
* Stephen66515 shrugs

That's what I was talking about :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 05:08 PM »
^Yeah, that was a mess.

I would presume he would have a case for unfair dismissal.
Whether it's worth following up ...
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Tbh, if a company fires you without really having all the info (That coupled with the fact SHE lost her job for this stupidity) would you REALLY want the job back?

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 08:31 PM »
There's a HUGE problem with companies knee-jerk firing people without just-cause, or at least without due-process.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 09:46 PM »
There's a HUGE problem with companies knee-jerk firing people without just-cause, or at least without due-process.

That's an illusion in most states, as most are at-will work states.  For any reason, or no reason at all, you can be fired.  That's why I formerly preferred contract work.  There was no such illusion, and it was more honest, IMO.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 07:58 AM »

That's an illusion in most states, as most are at-will work states.  For any reason, or no reason at all, you can be fired.  That's why I formerly preferred contract work.  There was no such illusion, and it was more honest, IMO.

Bingo! Spot on the sugar. I've been both an employee and an employer in my state, so I know first hand. Where I am you can discharge, or be discharged, at any time - for any reason - or even no reason at all. About the only thing that may be up for discussion is whether or not the employer has to pay unemployment compensation. And FWIW, the answer is almost always yes - even if somebody was "terminated with cause." (Note: Last thing the government wants is to have somebody out on the street with zero income, and unable to get a job in the future, because they got fired for dishonesty or theft. Think about what that would do to the welfare rolls, and the collateral social problems that would cause, if such  became too commonplace an occurrence.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:09 AM by 40hz »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 08:48 AM »
That's an illusion in most states, as most are at-will work states.  For any reason, or no reason at all, you can be fired.

You're right. Legally in most states, as is the case here in Kentucky where I work, companies can fire at will. However, in the company I work for, a community mental health provider serving ten counties in my region of the state, several employees who have, over the years, been terminated, have successfully sued my agency for settlements in the tens of thousands of dollars. How, I don't know. They have no legal basis, right? Yet, I assure you, several former employees have successfully done so. I assume my agency settled because they figured it would be less expensive than a drawn-out legal battle.

I still feel that, although most states give employers the legal right to fire at will, that morally-speaking there are many instances of wrongful-termination. On the other hand, I'm sure the laws have well-served some good employers, making it easier for them to run a business when they get a "bad egg" employee.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20 AM »
You're right. Legally in most states, as is the case here in Kentucky where I work, companies can fire at will. However, in the company I work for, a community mental health provider serving ten counties in my region of the state, several employees who have, over the years, been terminated, have successfully sued my agency for settlements in the tens of thousands of dollars. How, I don't know. They have no legal basis, right? Yet, I assure you, several former employees have successfully done so. I assume my agency settled because they figured it would be less expensive than a drawn-out legal battle.

You have to get it on some other ground other than that you were terminated, i.e. I was discriminated against, and that led to my firing, etc.

In this case, they can point to the good old company handbook, and unless you can get yourself on the other side of that, you've pretty much got no case, unless you have a lot of money.

I had a friend in this situation (for something else), and he got the company to come to his terms by (1) getting them to agree to arbitration and (2) then bringing a team of high powered attorneys, that then scared the company because they saw that he was serious.  In the end, he won the case, but lost the war... he paid the attorneys all of the settlement, and *still* owed them money.  Pyrrhic victory, anyone?