topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Debate: Effects of technology on modern youth  (Read 11709 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Debate: Effects of technology on modern youth
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:40 AM »
I will weigh in later, firstly...I want to hear your thoughts!

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Debate: Effects of technology on modern youth
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:36 PM »
  Gee, where to start.....  For one, a very short attention span, always wanting to get back to texting and such.  Then there's the anti-social aspect when they spend their time online and not dealing with people face to face.  And of course not getting enough physical exercise because they're always on their electronic devices.

Just too many aspects of this, need more input!   :)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:41 PM »
  Gee, where to start.....  For one, a very short attention span, always wanting to get back to texting and such.  Then there's the anti-social aspect when they spend their time online and not dealing with people face to face.  And of course not getting enough physical exercise because they're always on their electronic devices.

Just too many aspects of this, need more input!   :)

Cha-ching!

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I have an 8mo and we are already having this conversation... should we let him play with technology?
How about limiting time online, or on videogames?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 11:29 PM »
I'm not a parent but I could swear I stumbled on some articles that deal with this subject but I just did not have them bookmarked. (Nothing specific but it dealt with the issue.)

Short answer is yes. There's really no choice but up for technology at this point and the better the child understands the technical background of technology, the more they are less affected by the magnetism of social networks. (Photos are not that impressive to a teen if they are just more technical photo albums for example. Neither are status messages if a human understands that the status is better data mined than be the one being data mined.)

There's a plethora of Videogame can enhance the brain such as this article that can be startpage.com'd (this link is more for FPS): http://www.npr.org/2...-multitasking-skills

Time is less important than context.

A competitive game can improve dedication provided a kid is pushing the limits of being a better fighting gamer but once the genre gets liquidated into simply "the next best game with new characters to select/create" then it's a cash drain and it all depends on how pro the person is at wanting to seek this path in their life.

The deceptive part is in being able to differentiate general false brain games that claim to improve memory from videogames and online materials that connect, curate and simulate the passion of your child.

It's not as clear cut as a child playing SimCity wants to be a mayor or a teen playing Grand Theft Auto wants to steal or a person investing heavily on Minecraft wanting to be a lego sculptor. It sounds obvious but with hysteria not only on the dangers of videogames but on the positive power of videogames, you can't really tell.

For example, lots of racers use racing videogames to sim the tracks because it saves time. Lots of army men use shooting sims because of the tactics.

You can't mistake these for gun sims. They are there to desensitive the environment and relieve anxiety and promote tactical routes for the participants but in no way do they form a person's desire to just steal a gun or unload with violence.

In the same concept, there are kid's games that are more harmful despite their kiddie exterior and there are adult videogames that can promote better learning interest for your kid while they are still a kid than when they play these same videogames as an adult (assuming correct mentor guidance to extend the kid's passion).

The real time web is much more complicated but the good news is that kids, as they grow, adapt faster than adults provided they have the right tech circle to influence them.

A kid who has Facebook friends is not the same as a kid who can see Facebook as a platform to bravely attempt bad videos on youtube that they will then transmit on Facebook.

However, a parent pretending to be much more knowledgeable than a child in browsing or other tech related subjects, is more likely to simulate turning a child's love of reading into a homework. It can only translate so much before the child hates to read in general unless they are a genius, creative or really have capable parents.

Those are all my impressions from the articles I read. Basically it all comes down to this, children are still human and the children that is best parented into maximizing technology in the most positive manner is the children that's treated equally like an adult by the parent. This means if the parent does not know a technical subject and a parent is not interested in knowing it, it transfers to the child unless chaos plays a role and a child is influenced by a friend or a site. Vice versa, children's first human interaction tend to be their parents so every chance a parent can transfer that "passion" for learning that technical concept to their children is one human being better adapted to that technical concept. This does not mean handing the child the product though but handing the child the learning tools to better utilize a technological concept beyond what it advertises itself as or beyond what the parent has already done with the product. It does not mean things like parental control don't help focus a child's attention but they simply don't learn and over time create a negative learning interruption for that child that weakens their resolve for learning and exposes them more to using the web as a form of escapism once the lock is off.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:41 PM by Paul Keith »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 04:08 PM »
I have an 8mo and we are already having this conversation... should we let him play with technology?
How about limiting time online, or on videogames?
  What Paul Keith said.  The important thing is, much like everything else in life.....MODERATION.  If you withhold technology from a kid, the kid is only going to look stupid to his/her peers.  A lot of tech is used in the work environment, without knowledge of a lot of tech no one will hire you.  But if you absorb the kid into tech, he/she becomes desensitized to social aspects of life.

Of course, I'm no psychologist or anything, I think it just boils down to common sense....

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Dimitri Christakis is a pediatrician, parent, and researcher whose influential findings are helping identify optimal media exposure for children.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:31 PM »
To me it's not so much an issue of the effect of technology as it is an issue of the effect of societal attitudes on them.

Parenting is work. And in an era where we go to extreme lengths to minimize our need to be involved with things we find laborious, we've spawned a whole global industry dedicated to providing labor-saving technologies and services.

Unfortunately, far too many parents use technology as a cheap and quick 'auto-attendent' for their children. And when their children become too dependent on these devices they're quick to point the finger at the tool rather than acknowledge they are ultimately responsible for controlling access.

The problem I see with kids accessing too much technology at too early an age is that they begin to attain a large degree of personal autonomy before they're able to handle all the ramifications and responsibilities that go with it. Technology can also engender a false sense of security and personal power. When coupled with a lack of maturity (and inadequate moral development) that can produce extremely bad outcomes for some individuals.

That's a high price to pay for shoddy parenting and lazy parents.

And that's not saying anything that hasn't been said a thousand times before.

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:12 PM »
As a 25 year old, I just missed the online/technology social revolution.

The main thing I notice is that young people (and a lot of older ones) don't get the concept of criticism and mild insults.
People get so used to disconnecting/blocking any negative that they can't don't know how to deal with it properly, AND then are scared of giving a negative comment in fear of being deleted.
So people are used to a diet of 'likes' and no longer know how to turn criticism into a joke and deal with it.
Which leads to emperors new clothes scenarios, everyone too scared to say anything but the person is actually totally useless.

This is written without any qualifications and shouldn't be considered a critical study unless you agree with it.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:50 PM »
It's a good way to entertain kids and keep them from getting into trouble via boredom.
A good tool to inspire imagination as well.
We are raising two boys and the effects socially are minimal.
21 and 23 now, teachers were impressed with their ability to type and understand technology and communicate what they learned.
Starting with 3.1 to present they have always had access to computers and more.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 09:02 PM »

The main thing I notice is that young people (and a lot of older ones) don't get the concept of criticism and mild insults.
People get so used to disconnecting/blocking any negative that they can't don't know how to deal with it properly, AND then are scared of giving a negative comment in fear of being deleted.
So people are used to a diet of 'likes' and no longer know how to turn criticism into a joke and deal with it.
Which leads to emperors new clothes scenarios, everyone too scared to say anything but the person is actually totally useless.

This is written without any qualifications and shouldn't be considered a critical study unless you agree with it.

Well I agree.
It seems that in this extreme liberal country where "every student is given a trophy just for playing" and "there are no winners & losers" society, being negative is politically incorrect.  Gee, no wonder so many young ones can't take any kind of criticism.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03 AM »

Well, I'm 48 ... and I'd say you friggin nailed it man.  :Thmbsup: