topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: background color degrades some fonts??  (Read 7236 times)

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
background color degrades some fonts??
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:19 PM »
1) Using SSC 3.08.01 in Vista x64.  In screen below (in png format), adding background color when using default Arial font causes missing / "faded" parts of letters.
If default file type is set for jpg, at 96 dpi, the "finished" quality is much worse.  By contrast, in most other editors, viewers (IrfanView) or most any prgm, jpg's at 96 dpi & 90% quality are pretty darn good.  Not so in SSC.

Tried another font, DejaVu Sans, also a TT font.  Background color also affected it some - parts of letters missing.  Not necessarily same letters as Arial.  On darker backgrounds, transparency = 255; all examples are Normal Blend mode.

2) All SSC font sizes selected are no where near the same size, as they'd be in any other app, for same font & size.  In SSC, font sizes are MUCH smaller - even when screen is 100% , or after saving.
In other apps, word processors - 20 pt is big!  In SSC, it looks like 12 or 14.

3) Is there no way to save the default font you'd like to use, instead of Arial?

4) Is it a bug, or are most settings not saved for the type object just entered, after you enter an object / text, then click outside of screen (say, for text boxes or any other custom object settings)?
If I want to make changes to object just entered, after doing anything else & then select that object,  most of custom settings went back to default.

I enter a text box, choose background color, boundary & boundary color other than default, & font different than Arial.  Click outside the screenshot & object is finished.  No longer in Object Selection mode.
Decide I want to enter another text box (or delete one just placed & start over).  If I 1st click on object select to do any other task, that doesn't require changing any previously mentioned settings, then click on text object again, none of the custom settings I just selected are retained.  Is this a bug?  It's a big time waster, continually resetting what I want (95% of time) the text box font, font size, inner color box checked, border box checked & a non default border color selected.

Do I have some incorrect setting(s), is that the way SSC is designed or is this a bug?

If this is a bug - OK.  But if it's designed behavior, please consider adding a setting somewhere to retain the settings chosen for specific objects, or allow saving profiles w/ custom settings, or something.
I don't know how it can be done in SSC (not a problem in other capture prgms), but > 90% of time, every time I add say, a text box, I want the same settings.  I'd seldom change my choice of settings to something else - if they were saved - vs. now, I have to change them every time I start SSC & all during a session.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:32 PM by cathie28, Reason: Add screen of sample text from another screen shot editor »

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: background color degrades some fonts??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Can anyone confirm whether adding background color to text boxes causes poor(er) quality for some fonts, such as Arial?

I may have some incorrect setting, but I've not seen this issue in any other capture editor.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:49 PM »
If you look at the tip of the S in my screenshot (when I reviewed Screenshot Captor) then something happening yes.
http://www.rgdot.com...screenshotcaptor.jpg

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:25 PM »
rgdot, yes - I see all the S's in the yellow background area are degraded.

I've noticed some fonts are affected more than others (all True Type, that I compared so far).  Some like Arial - so much that it's not much good for anything except rough work.
I'd like to think that I've got some incorrect setting, because it isn't a problem for other screen capture prgms, so don't know why it would be for SSC, either.

Maybe others that DON'T see this problem, could share their settings - that might be causing problems for me.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure the font clipping was reported before, with larger font sizes and with italic - but unfortunately I couldn't actually find the report so I dont know what was concluded then, if anything.

BTW I'm not sure that the number/size for fonts in SC is points(?)

Screenshot - 2013-01-23 , 10_23_50.png

this is a png (my default save is as PNG) screenshot taken while in edit mode - but no change when saved.

Settings here are
Font: Calibri Italic DFKai-SB Italic
Size 39
Transparency 200
Blend Mode Multiply
Tom
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:13 AM by tomos, Reason: corrected font name »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:44 AM »
oh dear that is problematic.. i'll go have a look..

ok I can reproduce it.. and it's very interesting that this font clipping only seems to be happening when there is a background color.. i will try to fix.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:49 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:12 AM »
Can you guys try this new beta:

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
You will need to change SOMETHING about a text box before you see any fix -- so select it and toggle the inner color on and then off, or edit the text in some way, etc.

Can you let me know if this fixes the problems?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:14 AM »
cathie28,

SC should be remembering your last settings for each of the objects.. but i will look into that issue and your comments about it after i see if i can't get this font clipping issue solved, so that i don't get confused.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Can you guys try this new beta:

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
You will need to change SOMETHING about a text box before you see any fix -- so select it and toggle the inner color on and then off, or edit the text in some way, etc.

I just repeat my quick test above - [edit] sorry got the font name wrong last time [/edit] text now works fine doing that.
Because of the dark background I've changed the 'Multiply' setting to 'Normal'

Screenshot - 2013-01-23 , 12_56_01_VER3.png
Tom

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50 AM »
My test, looks fixed  :up:

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Mouser wrote:
Meaning, use this technique in the new beta version?
It's nice to have some work around, but I'm assuming you will try to fix it (eventually) so the toggling / changing a text box isn't necessary?  Mainly because most won't know / remember to use the work around steps.

Tomos - I'm not sure either, what the sizes for fonts in SSC represent - or just a generic numeric value.  Definitely not pt. size.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:19 AM »
Mouser wrote:
Meaning, use this technique in the new beta version?
It's nice to have some work around, but I'm assuming you will try to fix it (eventually) so the toggling / changing a text box isn't necessary?  Mainly because most won't know / remember to use the work around steps.

Tomos - I'm not sure either, what the sizes for fonts in SSC represent - or just a generic numeric value.  Definitely not pt. size.

Im not mouser, but what I think mouser is saying to do with the new version he put up is to see if its fixed by doing that on existing ones or you can see if its fixed just by creating a new one probably.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Yup, what Ham said.

cathie28

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Used new portable beta version.  Not sure I see much difference (or need) between toggle / edit anything inside text box or not, to improve text quality after initial creation.  Which is good.SSC 3.14.01 beta_NO toggling_editing done.pngbackground color degrades some fonts??
Mouser - I thought you'd left the building after I 1st reported this issue couple days ago.