topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New FARR flash video demo  (Read 11658 times)

tonyp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New FARR flash video demo
« on: April 24, 2006, 02:52 AM »
As a big fan of FARR, I honestly have to say I was surprised at the flash video demo.  Not to sound harsh, but I'd recommend remaking it completely. I doubt I would download the program from watching that video.  Nobody watching the video will be 'used to all this', nor will they want to watch someone click through the help file.

My suggestion is to simply demonstrate FARR as one would typically use it.  Show how you can hit the break key, type a name, and go.  Don't go moving the mouse around and clicking and such, keyboard is the key here.  After you launch and close (don't play minesweeper) a few programs, noting that these are automatically added from the startmenu and such, /then/ throw in a mention about how you can make aliases.

Write yourself a script beforehand to read, and demonstrate it as though it is simply an extension of the features tour on the website.  The video should be as precise as screenshots in motion.  I know a much better video can be made.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 02:57 AM by tonyp »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: New FARR flash video demo
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 03:21 AM »
you are very right tony, and no offense is taken;
the video wasn't made to demo farr but as part of screencasting review, and it was supposed to be remade a long time ago.

i will try to get it remade, maybe into several parts, but it's just lower on priority than a couple of other projects at the moment.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:35 AM »
I also think tony is right, i didn't quite like the videos myself (although they are very usefull).
I'm working on a test demo right now, i'll post it here for your aproval.
(I can't do sound, though. But i'll put nice text info :D)

[edit2]HERE's[/edit2] one first test. Remember: it's just a test, to see if the format fits you (i don't like the idea of launching winamp).
If you like it, i can make a bunch of them, showing some of farr's alias (e-mail, google, define, calc), alias making (farr's context menu) and farr's options. A sort of interactive help file ;)

[edit] I've just noticed that it's not looking good. For some reason, it appears streched. But it didn't when i tested it locally. anybody knows a solution? (i think i also have to upload an html page)[/edit]

[edit2]link removed, no longer active[/edit2]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 02:09 PM by jgpaiva »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:18 AM »
[edit] I've just noticed that it's not looking good. For some reason, it appears streched. But it didn't when i tested it locally. anybody knows a solution? (i think i also have to upload an html page)[/edit]
You're right. You have to upload the html page + link to it, else it'll look streched.

BTW: Disable wallpapers if you're doing screenvideos. They're just bloating up the filesize.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 06:26 AM by wr975 »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:01 AM »
You're right. You have to upload the html page + link to it, else it'll look streched.
Yep,that's what i figured.

BTW: Disable wallpapers if you're doing screenvideos. They're just bloating up the filesize.
Good point. Will do in next version (which i'm working right now ;) )

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Ok, i made a new version. Suggestions are wellcome!
Farr Demo1

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:30 PM »
great! i'm going to make this the (first) official farr demo.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Ok, i made a new version. Suggestions are wellcome!

cool video, jgpaiva... :up:
just a mention on the spelling, beggining is spelt -> beginning. ;)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 05:47 AM »
cool video, jgpaiva... :up:
just a mention on the spelling, beggining is spelt -> beginning. ;)
Thanks!
Ok, i've changed that. I also changed the links icons at the end. Could someone give me some feedback on this?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 06:40 AM »
Looks really good - how about a second one with 'advanced features' ? (Then dummies like me may be able to use it more effectively - I always lose the will to live when Regular Expressions get mentioned ;))

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 06:53 AM »
how about a second one with 'advanced features' ?
-Carol Haynes (April 25, 2006, 06:40 AM)
It's being done, i already have the images for it, it's in "editing stage". But it'll only feature the default aliases (run, search, DCsearch, imdb, calculator). I think the 3rd one will have some explanation on how the options dialog works. As for regex and alias costumization, that might be a 4th one ;)

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 08:07 AM »
Before we get to advanced features, I have a request for an additional step to this neat introductory video.

You have two opportunities to explain how to launch a program when there are several listed on the screen.  One is just before you launch url snooper, and the other is at the end, when you show that the past-used programs appear at the top of the list.  But you simply say "launch url snooper," without any explanation.

Since using the numbers to launch is one of the great features of FARR, I wonder if you could add something at one of these spots explaining this feature.  Something like this:

When there are several programs listed, the user can either (1) tab down to the one he/she wants and press enter or (2) press the corresponding number (or the numbered function key) and the program will (effortlessly) launch.  Then demonstrate each method.

I have a second suggestion:  at the end, when you show that the recently launched programs appear at the top of the list, can you explain why this is important.  Something like this:

FARR remembers what you have recently launched, so those programs will appear at the top of the list, easily available for launch, without the need to type in a name.
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 09:28 AM »
You have two opportunities to explain how to launch a program when there are several listed on the screen.  One is just before you launch url snooper, and the other is at the end, when you show that the past-used programs appear at the top of the list.  But you simply say "launch url snooper," without any explanation.
That's a very good point, momonam. I forgot it because i use it very rarelly (for me, it's faster to write the full name than to write a few letters, search for the result, and press the corresponding number).
I think i'll add it at the end, just before the last screen. Thanks for the suggestion!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Ok... I added that last Feature. It was a very good idea, thanks momonam!
Here's the link: Farr Launch Demo

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 09:09 PM »
It's being done, i already have the images for it, it's in "editing stage". But it'll only feature the default aliases (run, search, DCsearch, imdb, calculator). I think the 3rd one will have some explanation on how the options dialog works. As for regex and alias costumization, that might be a 4th one ;)

aah, you got it all covered, jgpaiva. :Thmbsup: like carol, i'm all excited about the regex video...
next, you may want to design a nice homepage for yourself, showcasing all your ahk scripts & demo videos.

muito obrigado, mate...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 03:02 AM »
aah, you got it all covered, jgpaiva. :Thmbsup: like carol, i'm all excited about the regex video...
next, you may want to design a nice homepage for yourself, showcasing all your ahk scripts & demo videos.
Yep, lets see how the 3rd demo comes out. On the meanwhile, the second is almost complete. If you'd like to give some coments, here's the close-to-complete version: http://jgpaiva.dcmem...s/Farr/FarrDemo2.htm

About the webpage, I know it's very needed, but i still have a bunch of stuff to solve before, so, the page is a bit delayed. It'll be my next big project, though ;)

muito obrigado, mate...
:-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:05 AM by jgpaiva »

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 06:47 AM »
I'm so excited that you're making a demo of the alias feature, because -- even though I use FARR to launch all of my programs -- this feature has always been a mystery to me.

The first problem is knowing where to look for them.  Unfortunately, you  have skipped right over that in your demo (probably because it is so familiar to you).  Do you think you could begin the demo a couple of steps earlier?  Something like this:

To get to the feature for creating groups, you first click on the little wheel (or whatever that is) in the upper right corner.  Then press "preferences."  Then choose the "groups" tab to arrive at the screen for creating and using search groups.

This is not as obvious to a new user as it may seem to many of you.

While we're at it, why are these called "aliases" by those of you who use them?  Isn't "groups" (the word actually used in the program) a more intuitive term?  Is it absolutely necessary to use the word "alias"?
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 07:23 AM »
Do you think you could begin the demo a couple of steps earlier?  Something like this:

To get to the feature for creating groups, you first click on the little wheel (or whatever that is) in the upper right corner.  Then press "preferences."  Then choose the "groups" tab to arrive at the screen for creating and using search groups.
Good point! I'll slow down that first part!

Any suggestions for another text on the "To see the possibility of expansion of FARR, click here:" box? I think that text isn't very good.

BTW, did you like it? ;)

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 08:40 AM »
Sorry about not mentioning how much I like the demo.  Sometimes it's easy to forget that important part. :-[

About the expansion section, are you planning to add a demonstration of each of those features in this demo?  If not, can you explain that there is a third demo where people can learn how to use the additional features?

If you're looking for language corrections, or typos, here's one:  At the very end, "check it's features" should be "check its features," without the apostrophe.

Read only if you want the boring reason
Spoiler
After much effort, I have finally grasped that the only time you use an apostrophe with the word IT is when you are contracting the words "it is."  Never at other times, when you mean the possessive, like "hers," "his" or "its" book or program or features, etc.  I don't know who made up this rule, but there it is.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 09:14 AM »
Sorry about not mentioning how much I like the demo.  Sometimes it's easy to forget that important part. :-[
I didn't mean i needed a compliment ;), i was just trying to know if the times are right, if it needed more content, if it's well organized, etc. But thanks anyway  :D

About the expansion section, are you planning to add a demonstration of each of those features in this demo?  If not, can you explain that there is a third demo where people can learn how to use the additional features?
That section already is there (the link is functional), it's in the end of the demo, and it refers to other stuff that can be done, not featured in this demo. It's basically to inform you can costumize any of the featured alias, and add new functionality to it. (something like a small introduction to the next demo).

If you're looking for language corrections, or typos, here's one: 
Thanks! Corrected :)

Read only if you want the boring reason
Spoiler
After much effort, I have finally grasped that the only time you use an apostrophe with the word IT is when you are contracting the words "it is."  Never at other times, when you mean the possessive, like "hers," "his" or "its" book or program or features, etc.  I don't know who made up this rule, but there it is.

;D ;D