topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Good Luck to Our US Friends!  (Read 6203 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Good Luck to Our US Friends!
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:34 AM »
I just want to wish all our US friends all the best luck in the next day or so. Big things will happen, and you'll need all the luck you can get~! :D :P Sorry... Couldn't help that. But really, good luck! I wish you all the best.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Good Luck to Our US Friends!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:52 AM »
I just want to wish all our US friends all the best luck in the next day or so. Big things will happen, and you'll need all the luck you can get~! :D :P Sorry... Couldn't help that. But really, good luck! I wish you all the best.

Heh I note that the particular candidate who represents Good Luck is not mentioned! What does that mean!? : )

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:10 AM »
You two talking in code now or what :P

I see from a quick search that the Nigerian president is called Goodluck Jonathan and he endorses one of the canditates (probably not much influence there, but might sway people in the other direction...). An entertaining read.

the real reason
Renegade is actually (really, honestly,) very PC, that's why he doesnt mention politician's names (on dc).

Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:49 AM »
--SPOILER --

No...

Off topic response
That's because mouser has given me shit on more than one occasion for being political. :P

Now, in my own defense, I do try to mock and make fun of all of the mainstream whores equally... :P ;D

Thought I did mention some of the mainstream whores by name, which would offend some people that actually believe that it makes a difference about *WHO* gives you HIV. :P

Sorry - I just can't help it... I'm a complete political jackass junkie~! :P

As such, I've toned myself down to simply mock the entire system without any prejudice. :D :P

Where before I'd shit on them by name, I try only to shit on them all now~! :D (Yeah... I'm horrible at times. :P )

DISCLAIMER: I perfectly well understand mouser's position - this is a SOFTWARE forum, and not a political channel. I fully respect that, and try to tone myself down where needed. It is not my intent ever to endorse any mainstream political party. I hate them all. :P I am simply trying to avoid any kind of partisanship. However, in the words of former Canadian Prime Minister John Diefenbaker:

"As long as there is a drop of blood in my body they won't stop me from talking about freedom."

That resonates within me.

My intents here are only to point out those issues in software that affect us all. More often than not, I make no comment and make no posts. It would be burdensome to post reality.

And regardless of any Nigerian politicians, still good luck to the Americans! :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:12 AM »
I couldn't resist

freedom.jpg

We much prefer being slowly drawn and quartered.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:30 AM »
I try hard to keep out of these discussions as well, because I think mouser is right -- so I will just say that you continue to amaze the rest of the world by having "photo finishes" between your candidates. I think it is one of those "Only in America" things  :Thmbsup:.

http://www.huffingto...-poll_n_2066972.html

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 11:44 AM »
you continue to amaze the rest of the world by having "photo finishes" between your candidates.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Widespread voter indifference - and an antiquated election process - have much to do with it. On average, only about three quarters of the US citizens (who are legally eligible to vote) ever register to do so. And of that number, significantly less than half actually will go out and vote. Those who do vote regularly are, very often, political party diehards. And they're about evenly matched in number between the two parties.

These elections may end in a photo finish. But they only consist of the votes of about 30% of the US population eligible to cast one. So any US election result can hardly claim to be a "mandate of the people" - even if it were a "landslide decision."

Not that that little niggle ever prevented an elected representative from claiming he or she had one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:05 PM by 40hz »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 01:00 PM »
And the excuse that people can't change the system lives on...while it might be true in some sense it is the same people who perpetuate it.

EDIT: Now I am off to another Politburo meeting, readying statements for both eventualities  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 01:31 PM »
And the excuse that people can't change the system lives on...while it might be true in some sense it is the same people who perpetuate it.

EDIT: Now I am off to another Politburo meeting, readying statements for both eventualities  :D

Sad truth is that out current system is highly resistant to legal methods of change. Which is why change via disruption rather than an orderly legislative transition (as provided for by the U.S. Constitution) has become the norm in the last 20 or so years.

It's not so much that "the system" can't be changed. But the real myth is that it can still be changed in an orderly, civilized, and dignified manner given our current state of political factionalism. A factionalism that came about by design rather than chance.

It started around the time Regan first took office, when a group of conservative political strategists decided to reduce all our complex socio-political issues to simple distinctions couched in black & white terms - and then wrap them in a quasi-religious framework of "good vs evil" and "traditional values."

It was a strategy that didn't encourage deep introspection, careful thought, or much in the way of verifiable facts. Regan and his allies in the so-called religious right absolutely loved it.

And you can see its legacy being played out till this day. :-\
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:40 PM by 40hz »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Jill Stein (Green Party) wasn't on the ballot here in Missouri (nor Oklahoma), and there was no opportunity for a write-in candidate. Some democracy.

2parties-1ideologys.png

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 06:32 PM »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Where before I'd shit on them by name, I try only to shit on them all now~!
No...

So what your saying is your an equal opportunity shitter?   ;)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 07:35 PM »
I don't know how it will end but if guy like that wins, will give me chills with fuel price hike and middle east chaos. Cthulu save us all.