topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Excel files don't open  (Read 11288 times)

pyramid36

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Excel files don't open
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:47 PM »
I have some folders in LaunchBar v. v1.132.02 that displays Excel files.  When I click on a file name, Excel opens, but the file does not.
I'm running Win7 (64) Home Premium Build 7601.

I have another instance of LBC v 110.01 running on a Dell laptop and which works OK.

Any ideas?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Excel files don't open
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 03:20 PM »
I've noticed that too on my pc.. can you check something for me -- if you try it several times in a row (maybe try it with excel already open), does it *sometimes* work?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:34 AM »
Are you running Excel 2010?

Then it is likely that the security settings from Excel prevent you from opening these files.
By default, Excel 2010 only opens xls files that have formatted according to the Office 2003 document structure and to the Office 2010 document structure. It also depends if the files are stored in locations that Excel 2010 regards as unsafe (practically your complete system is deemed unsafe). Did these files come from LAN or the internet? Excel 2010 tagged them as such and will not open them either.

Excel 2010, you just have to love it. Anyway, Open Excel 2010 and select the ´File´ tab. In there is an option called ´Trust settings´. Over there you can relax the very strict security rules that are employed by Excel 2010.

If the need arises, I can put some PowerShell scripts up for download here that use Excel 2010 to convert Excel documents that use a structure not deemed safe anymore by Excel 2010 to an Excel document structure (or CSV) that Excel 2010 does not have a problem with. You should not have to go through the same misery as I did with a security consious Excel (or complete Office 2010 for that matter).

rogerrabbit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 12:01 PM »
I have recently switched to LaunchBar Commander and it’s by far the best application launcher I have ever used. But I too am having the problem with opening Excel files. I have changed the Trusted settings in Excel as suggested, making the folders where the files are located trusted locations, but I’m still unable to open the Excel files.

The application launcher I previously used (Portable Start Menu) does however allow these files to be opened from within the relevant folder. Surely if it is the Excel security settings which are preventing the opening of Excel files, that would be the case irrespective of the application launcher software in use? Sorry if I’m talking absolute nonsense. I’m not an advanced user and may be missing something completely obvious to more tech savvy users!

Has anyone managed to find a workaround to this problem as yet please?

I really enjoy using LaunchBar Commander and in the scheme of things this is just a minor annoyance which I will live with if no one has a solution.

Sincerest thanks in advance to anyone who can assist. I'm using Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Roger

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:13 AM »
I had a similar problem, as described in my earlier post. You could check which excel format is used by the file you want to open. There are quite a lot of different formats that Excel has been using over the years and Excel 2010 is very picky about which formats it will read.

You can find the formats also in the trust settings from Excel 2010. 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:15 AM »
Thanks for such a nice post Roger.  I keep meaning to add some options for how documents are launched that would fix this problems -- thank you for reminding me to do so -- I will try to do it this week.  Don't hesitate to remind me if I forget.

rogerrabbit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Thanks to Shades for your comments – I am using Excel 2010, but the files I am trying to open are in that same Excel format (xlsx) or version 2003 – 2007 format (xls). As I mentioned, my previous launcher software which pointed to the folders where the files are contained could still open them, so I’m not sure it’s Excel causing the problems.

Thank you very much indeed mouser for looking into this and above all for providing such excellent software. It really is a joy to use.

Roger

rogerrabbit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Mouser - I thought it very unreasonable to remind you during the holiday period about the fix you are planning which would solve the problem with Excel files, hence the delay.

As you were happy to be reminded if you forgot about his however, it would be great if you could provide something which would enable Excel files to be opened from the shortcut within LaunchBar Commander.

Many thanks again for this great software!

Roger

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:30 PM »
In the meantime, Shades, I'd be glad to see the Powershell scripts you've come up with if you want to post them.

Powershell seems to me like anti-bash.... lots of power and easy to chain results (including objects) through many steps like a shell, but designed with the intent of using the longest possible command names (including semi-random dashes) instead of the shortest possible...
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Currently I don´t have access to these files (vacation!), but my scripts are based on this example. I´ll get back to you when I have access again, which should be in a week. Remind me if necessary.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Thank you for the gentle reminder.. let me try to upload a test build today that tries to solve the problem.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:02 PM »
Can you try this beta version:
https://www.donation...arCommanderSetup.exe

rogerrabbit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 04:23 AM »
Wonderful - works perfectly.

Thank you very much!

Roger

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Great.

dvally

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:20 PM »
 ;D Thanks Mouser!

Launchbar Commander works great! I downloaded the latest version (1.33.01) and encountered the Excel file issue. After updating with the beta linked (1.34.01) Excel files open smoothly! Great program!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Thanks for the warm words -- they make doing the updates worth while :)