topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Disney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars. Star Wars Ep VII due in 2015  (Read 37936 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey! You left out vampires, werewolves, and flesh eating-zombies! Lets not forget about those. :P

I would totally watch a Star Wars version with those in it~! :P ;D

Yes...I think you would. ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Ren - it's too late. This is one of Geiger's works entitled (no joke): Bambi Alien

rudolf_giger_hans-bambi_alien~OM69c300~10639_20100505_9502_156.jpg

:tellme:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

Don't tell me you wouldn't be curious... ;)

@Ren - it's too late. This is one of Geiger's works entitled (no joke): Bambi Alien
 (see attachment in previous post)
 :tellme:

Ah! The beautiful mind of a...

Hmmm...

Sure. Bambi aliens work. Let's just hope that Giger doesn't work in some of his other, um, motifs. ;) It's enough that "Bambi" has one meaning already... :P

Frankenchrist, anyone? :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Don't tell me you wouldn't be curious... ;)

I wouldn't.

Well...maybe...

But only if Kate Bekinsale were in it - and only if she were wearing that jumpsuit again.

underworld-image-kate-beckinsale.jpgDisney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars. Star Wars Ep VII due in 2015

Now that's a vampire! :-* :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So, that story is over -- no sequel - only same-universe stories left.

Ah! I see... You mean this story arc is over.

Yes. I agree.  :)

Actually it depends- if the story arc was about Anakin and his legacy, then it might not have been over from an arc perspective, i.e. the first act was his fall, the second his redemption, the third his legacy.  Apparently Lucas had some thoughts in regards to that already.  How true that is, I don't know.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
But only if Kate Bekinsale were in it - and only if she were wearing that jumpsuit again.
 (see attachment in previous post)
Now that's a vampire! :-* :P

I see your vampire, and raise you a Slayer! :P

Buffy.jpg

;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Actually it depends- if the story arc was about Anakin and his legacy, then it might not have been over from an arc perspective, i.e. the first act was his fall, the second his redemption, the third his legacy.  Apparently Lucas had some thoughts in regards to that already.  How true that is, I don't know.

That's what I meant by my disclaimer above about the perspective of the story being about Anakin's rise, fall, and redemption. Just one take on it. It just seems, to me anyways, to be the main theme all across eps 1-6. Nothing else really come close (as I can see) - Anakin is the driving force for the story. I'm sure other people get other things out of it -- and that's one of the great things about good art - we can take different things from it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually it depends- if the story arc was about Anakin and his legacy, then it might not have been over from an arc perspective, i.e. the first act was his fall, the second his redemption, the third his legacy.  Apparently Lucas had some thoughts in regards to that already.  How true that is, I don't know.

That's what I meant by my disclaimer above about the perspective of the story being about Anakin's rise, fall, and redemption. Just one take on it. It just seems, to me anyways, to be the main theme all across eps 1-6. Nothing else really come close (as I can see) - Anakin is the driving force for the story. I'm sure other people get other things out of it -- and that's one of the great things about good art - we can take different things from it.

True. And like any good story, it gains in popularity by the fact it can be experienced and interpreted in multiple ways.

When I earlier mentioned its lack of originality, I didn't mean it as a knock. Just an acknowledgement that it freely borrows from everything in the Wester mythic and adventure story canon. Not a bad thing necessarily since there's little in the human experience that's very new at this stage of the game. And good stories usually get better with repeat tellings. Maybe that's the best indicator of a story being good - it survives retelling.

StarWars is a good yarn. As are parts of the various StarTrek incarnations (except for Voyager and Enterprise. Those were absolute junk.) But I just don't see them as sources of cosmic truth like some people do. They're kind of heavy handed and obvious. Which is just the way we like them to be as entertainment. Good guys win. Bad guys lose. And that really cute couple finally stops playing head games with each other and becomes an item.

Who could ask for more during a quiet evening at your favorite cinema with an extra large popcorn (with butter) sitting on your lap? :Thmbsup:

---
@Ren - I think I'll stick with Kate. I want somebody that can teach me something I don't already know. I no longer have the patience to break in young amateurs.

Oh wait! I already have somebody like that...

So, um...sorry Kate! Too bad. I coulda been beautiful! ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Very few stories are very original. I think that's why I like really good horror films, because they are NEW stories.

"Fallen" with Denzel Washington ("Dark Angel" in some places) was a fantastic movie. But, it told a story that was fundamentally different than others. (No spoilers there.)

Star Wars tells the same story as others, but does it extremely well.

The world flipped over "The Blair Witch Project" precisely because it did new things.

Creativity with a new story, an existing story, or a new way to tell a story - all things that go over really well. :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

The world flipped over "The Blair Witch Project" precisely because it did new things.

I always thought the world had flipped over Blair Witch for the first six months because 90% of the people who saw or heard about it thought it was a true story. Something the producers didn't lie about - although IIRC they also didn't go especially out of their way to correct that misconception either.

To me Blair Witch was a variation on "the hunter (or seeker) becomes the hunted" story. Not particularly original in it's treatment either. Blackwood, Lovecraft, Bierce, and M.R. James did it far better. To me it's just Lovecraft's The Whisperer in the Darkness using a witch instead of evil alien entities for the 'bad guy.'

Even Chaucer had a neat riff on it in The Canterbury Tales. In The Pardoner's Tale, three young men decide to go out and find Death and kill it/him/her - not realizing the full range of possible outcomes should you go out "seeking death." And that tale is based on and older tale from India based on an even older legend from China...and so it goes.

Not many original stories. But there are plenty of very good, very original story treatments still to be written. :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:12 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
With The Blair Witch, the *way* the film was done was original - *THAT* made the movie. Otherwise, it would just have been yet another horror. Sure, maybe just a variation, but done with style~! :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Oh - Man Bites Dog - Good film. ;) One of the early "documentary" fictions.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I know we can take different views on art, but there's views, and there's the creator's view/vision.  Sort of like Fahrenheit 451 and Bradbury's meaning.  Not that I think it's bad to interpret- just the opposite, I think.  But one has to be careful, because one can easily pigeonhole a story by your own understandings and preconceptions.

@Ren - I think I'll stick with Kate. I want somebody that can teach me something I don't already know. I no longer have the patience to break in young amateurs.

Funny thing... they're only two years apart in age.  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
With The Blair Witch, the *way* the film was done was original - *THAT* made the movie. Otherwise, it would just have been yet another horror. Sure, maybe just a variation, but done with style~! :D

If you liked Blair Witch, be sure to check out Lovely Molly. It's by the same producers and it explores some similar themes.

When newlywed Molly Reynolds returns to her long-abandoned family home, frightful reminders of a nightmarish childhood begin seeping into her new life. She soon begins an inexorable descent into an evil that blurs the lines between psychosis and possession.

Cool website too. Very effective presentation of supplemental materials. Sample link here.
 :Thmbsup:

But for real horror (if you really like horror) check out either Sinister or Session 9. :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Funny thing... they're only two years apart in age.  ;D

But decades apart in every other way from what I can see or (more likely) just imagine.

So hush Wraith! :P Don't ruin a good fantasy for me. She's mine I tell you! Go dream up your own;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I also like Beckinsale.  She smokes...literally.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I also like Beckinsale.  She smokes...literally.

Bugger! Guess there's at least one fly in every jar of ointment huh?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This one is even funnier than the last one!  Disney Star Wars Special Edition Changes, Episodes I-III

A Preview...

Scrooge_Neimoidians-1024x574.jpgDisney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars. Star Wars Ep VII due in 2015

After the classic opening crawl introducing kids to the riveting and child-friendly world of intergalactic taxation laws and systemic political corruption, we cut straight to The Trade Federation… who are now led by Scrooge McDuck. Scrooge and the Neimoidians discuss their enthralling plan to create a space blockade around Naboo whilst swimming in a giant pool made of gold coins.

More at the link... including Goof Goof Binks!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[geekmode]
Ok, the emperor is cloned
Spoiler
several times

not come back from the dead (not a hugely big diff, but hey...), and
Spoiler
Luke turns to the dark side until his friends rescue him

Spoiler
Han and Leia get married and have super force-baby twins, one becoming a sith, the other a jedi

the whole Yuuzhan Vong war... There's so much ore to mine, let's hope they come up with a few nuggets of sterling before the tailing pile gets too big.[/geekmode]

But yeah, the original story is pretty much over, I agree.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:56 PM by Edvard »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But yeah, the original story is pretty much over, I agree.

Actually... not.  I was more right than I knew when I said the bit about legacies, I guess...  ;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh, hey, I didn't say there wasn't any more to be made, just agreeing with Ren.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Has anyone seen the Clone Wars cartoons? They're pretty good.

There is a HUGE amount that can be done in the Star Wars universe.

It won't be the same, but hey, nothing wrong with different.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, it looks as if they are aggressively pushing a plan- and it resolves around story!

http://gointothestor...ch-to-star-wars.html

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
If you're a Star Wars enthusiast, then this is a pretty darn cool little flick that includes some footage of George Lucas talking about things you'd probably never thought about or seen. It's a very different perspective on the movies that is really very obvious once you think about it... But then again... You already knew that Star Wars had many many many levels to it. (Or you're a blasphemer!)

http://vimeo.com/41963839

Vimeo there, so no embed. Here are some teaser screen shots:

Screenshot - 2012-12-01 , 1_13_31 AM.png

Screenshot - 2012-12-01 , 1_14_19 AM.png

Screenshot - 2012-12-01 , 1_15_40 AM.png

A different perspective on the movies there.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Well, it's out in theatres now.

Here's an audition for Han Solo by Kurt Russell for the original 1977 film.

He would have been an awesome Han Solo.