topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Disney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars. Star Wars Ep VII due in 2015  (Read 37948 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
lucas-disney.jpg

10:15PM EDT October 30. 2012 - Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are joining Mickey Mouse, Buzz Lightyear and Iron Man in Disney's roster of heroes.

Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion, adding the legendary Star Wars franchise to the entertainment giant's stable of characters. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by founder George Lucas. The purchase culminates a one and a half year pursuit of the Lucas empire, Disney's CEO said.

MORE: Reaction to the news

Lucas, who receives 40 million Disney shares from the deal, will be the second-largest non-institutional shareholder of Disney, Bloomberg News says, behind the trust of deceased Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The 68-year-old Lucas will serve as a creative consultant but plans to retire.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm, in a statement. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Said Disney CEO Robert Iger: "This is one of the great entertainment properties of all time, one of the best branded and one of the most valuable, and it's just fantastic for us to have the opportunity to both buy it, run it and grow it."

Source

<Dr. Evil laugh>
That's right, 4.05 Billion dollars
</Dr. Evil laugh>

Am I the only one who says....NO!!!!!!!!!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
As if Lucas didn't fsck up the star wars film badly enough himself, now he's going to let Disney mess it up even further? How sad. I hope LucasArts (the games department) isn't included in the sale.

Oblig:
unholy.disney.lucasfilm.purchase.jpgDisney acquires Lucasfilm for 4.05 billion dollars. Star Wars Ep VII due in 2015
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
^^ Only one of those chicks killed a Hutt. She's not moving up in the world here. :P  
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:09 AM by Renegade, Reason: typo »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So they'll have a bunch of cuddly forest bears in Star Wars VII?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Disney's stories have been getting worse and worse in my opinion.  I don't know what it is.  I'm a huge Muppets and they're last movie got such good reviews and ratings, I though it would be good.  It sucked!  OMG.  I think they're putting way too much subtext into everything, it bugs me.  John Carter was supposed to be good, but it apparently wasn't (I saw it, but I'm not familiar with John Carter, so I'm lost in the discussion).  The Toy Stories are darn near perfect, but that's more pixar than disney.

Disney would absolutely destroy Star Wars, I feel.  Lucas just cashed out, it's not like he was able to bring the stories back to life much himself.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
ohn Carter was supposed to be good, but it apparently wasn't (I saw it, but I'm not familiar with John Carter, so I'm lost in the discussion).
It's hilarious if you're a bunch of friends that are massive drunk or hung over, and make silly comments throughout the movie (I don't think I've ever heard (or said) the sentence "NOW KISS!" as many times in a day as when watching JC). Other than that, the movie is just plain lousy. I do like that the protagonist is rather an anti-hero, though.
- carpe noctem

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As if Lucas didn't fsck up the star wars film badly enough himself, now he's going to let Disney mess it up even further? How sad. I hope LucasArts (the games department) isn't included in the sale.

It is.  Everything is, and the largest parts of the acquisition that people aren't talking about are Skywalker Sound and ILM.  Those two are the real feathers - along the lines of Disney's acquisition of Pixar.

Disney would absolutely destroy Star Wars, I feel.  Lucas just cashed out, it's not like he was able to bring the stories back to life much himself.

I have more hope.  From their plans as stand, they are going to give the franchise to someone already at LucasArts, and picked for the role.  Lucas will be Executive Producer and Consultant, so might not have been purely a cash out.  I look at what's been done with the EU and the Clone Wars as an indication as to what could be done without Lucas in ultimate control, and that's what gives me hope.  The fact of the matter is that a lot of the missteps were due to the fact that Lucas was a lot like Jobs, i.e. no room to be questioned.  It's just that he wasn't as competent as Jobs.  Say what you want about the man, but he knew how to get things done (for better or worse for the industry as a whole).  Lucas really didn't, and has been coasting on the strength of what he adapted in 1977.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Still a huge Star Wars fan but ...
I am in the camp that believes Episode I was too much 'video game' and Episode II too much 'soap opera'
And speaking of missteps he personally picked Hayden Christensen, correct?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hayden Christiansen is actually a decent actor- don't take the Star Wars movies as indicative of what any of the actors can do.  Any of them that managed to bring any level of characterization to the roles did that in spite of his clunky dialog and inept direction, not because of the same.  Natalie Portman and Liam Neeson are both great actors also, and suffered from the same.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Still a huge Star Wars fan but ...
I am in the camp that believes Episode I was too much 'video game' and Episode II too much 'soap opera'

I find your lack of faith, disturbing...

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hayden Christiansen is actually a decent actor- don't take the Star Wars movies as indicative of what any of the actors can do.  Any of them that managed to bring any level of characterization to the roles did that in spite of his clunky dialog and inept direction, not because of the same.  Natalie Portman and Liam Neeson are both great actors also, and suffered from the same.

It's probably not fair that I base it on Star Wars and one other movie but based on those I disagree. For example when he is telling Padme to not believe the lies it seems so forced and unnatural, he couldn't even pull that off in my opinion. Similarly when he left Padme to go find his mother.

I find your lack of faith, disturbing...

;D   :P

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oblig:
buyao.jpg

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lucas declared that there would never be any more Star Wars episodes back in 1997.

In August 1999, at a press conference in New York City to discuss The Phantom Menace, Lucas was categorical. The following exchange at the press conference was reported by Starlog magazine:

Q: Does that mean you won't do Episodes VII, VIII and IX?

Lucas: I will not do VII, VIII and IX.

Q: You will not? Will they be made by somebody else?

Lucas: No. They will not.

Q: So this trilogy ends it?

Lucas: This is it. This is all there is.

Also...

In an interview published in Total Film in May 2008, Lucas also ruled out anybody else ever making the sequel trilogy (or other future Star Wars features). Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..." The phenomenon of the Star Wars 'Expanded Universe', with stories told in novels, comic books and other media, also appears to have been a factor in Lucas seeing no need to produce a sequel trilogy: "Whatever it is that happens afterward, that isn't the core Star Wars story that I like to tell," he said in 2008. "There really isn't any story to tell there. It's been covered in the books and video games and comic books, which are things I think are incredibly creative but that I don't really have anything to do with other than being the person who built the sandbox they're playing in."

(Both of the above quotes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy#Abandonment_of_sequel_trilogy_.281997.E2.80.932012.29 )

Never say never!   :P

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's probably not fair that I base it on Star Wars and one other movie but based on those I disagree. For example when he is telling Padme to not believe the lies it seems so forced and unnatural, he couldn't even pull that off in my opinion. Similarly when he left Padme to go find his mother.

Both of those... Lucas?  Especially considering taking a look at the other side of that (Natalie Portman) in Star Wars vs other movies.  But don't take my word for it... check out Life as a Housew, for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe.  Look at Ep 4 and 6 vs. 5.  The difference?  Lucas.  Star Wars was a great (adaptation of an) idea.  But its success propelled him to a place where he could coast secure that he was better than he really is in other areas.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Both of those... Lucas?  Especially considering taking a look at the other side of that (Natalie Portman) in Star Wars vs other movies.  But don't take my word for it... check out Life as a Housew, for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe.  Look at Ep 4 and 6 vs. 5.  The difference?  Lucas.  Star Wars was a great (adaptation of an) idea.  But its success propelled him to a place where he could coast secure that he was better than he really is in other areas.

Thanks, will try to watch

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interestingly enough, I saw Life as a House on a flight I took about a week or so before I saw Episode 2. It was Life as a House that first made me skeptical of Hayden's acting abilities. Episode 2 just confirmed it for me.

:two:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

The body size thing bothered me too much through all of the latter two movies. Darth Vader became as scary as he was because he was something like 6'5 250 (because of David Prowse doing the physical acting.) So I spent the latter two movies wondering "when is this pipsqueak gonna get all fed up and do the Rocky bodybuilding montage?" I saw Jumper of DVD and wasn't thrilled with H. C. there either.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
John Carter was supposed to be good, but it apparently wasn't (I saw it, but I'm not familiar with John Carter, so I'm lost in the discussion). 

I saw John Carter a ways back, and it struggled to "Fridge Logic" its way to hold together. The worst part for me was that they had to make it Mars. Problem is, they were basing it on source material from the days when Mars was mysterious and unknown. I kept having to do contortions of "okay, what alternate Mars are we on?"

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wonder how long will it take for Lucas to say that he always wanted 10 SW episodes? :D

Not so long ago I had discussion with my friends about criticising something I've never saw and SW was in such topic too because I had yet to fully see 1-3.
For me the only 1,2,3 parts were original ones from seventies/eighties (now called 4-6).

I just simply don't believe that Lucas always wanted 3 (4?) more. Even if he said it by himself. For me this is money based lie.
And now 7th is coming. Really?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
For me this is money based lie.
And now 7th is coming. Really?
-fenixproductions (November 01, 2012, 05:55 AM)

Lucas... sigh... I'm not so sure you're right about it being just about money... I think it's more about...

;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
May the Force no longer be with you...

Because The Force is now with us.

Exclusively!

(Wanna buy a license?) :P ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
May the Force no longer be with you...

Because The Force is now with us.

Exclusively!

(Wanna buy a license?) :P ;)

Heheheh~! Nice one~! :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wonder how long will it take for Lucas to say that he always wanted 10 SW episodes? :D

I just simply don't believe that Lucas always wanted 3 (4?) more. Even if he said it by himself. For me this is money based lie.
-fenixproductions (November 01, 2012, 05:55 AM)

I heard way back in the early 90s (before the prequels were even heard of) that Star Wars was originally 9 parts and that the "original" trilogy were the middle 3 parts. This was about the time that the Star Wars special extended/enhanced versions (Han shot first!) were re-released in the theaters, perhaps a couple of years before then.

After they started making 1-3 I wondered when they'd make 7-9. Then I heard that quote above where Lucas said there would be no more Star Wars films and I wondered why he didn't want to finish the story. :-\

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I heard way back in the early 90s (before the prequels were even heard of) that Star Wars was originally 9 parts and that the "original" trilogy were the middle 3 parts.

I remember hearing the same back then and was also a bit confused by the 6 part story "update".

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What?! Much like Friday The 13th the emperor and Vader didn't actually die?  :D