topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Shit Apple Fanatics Say  (Read 30418 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Shit Apple Fanatics Say
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 07:56 AM »
Email access while out of the office has become imperative so I'm tied to the Smart Phone class devices. I've also had occasion to need web access while in the field.

What I don't want is to have to think about how to extract information from the device (simple, concise, done) and that is what I get from the Windows Phone.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Brand insanity aside, these phones are getting too f****** big! A PITA to lug around and easy to smash up!

For my next phone I'm seriously considering going for the smallest, lightest device available that lets me make and receive calls, that's it.
~hipster-nosh

Ya' know, you can get geek cred soon with a Dick Tracy style Watch phone! There are some early models out in Asia, and some proto-models floating around here in workshops. I really do think we're about one generation of tech out from making it happen. Sound quality might be a topic, but then I'm in an area with zero quality in my apartment anyway, so it couldn't get much worse for me on that front.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 10:18 AM »
What I don't want is to have to think about how to extract information from the device (simple, concise, done) and that is what I get from the Windows Phone.

I've made my recent (philosophical) conversion public elsewhere, but I must give credit where it is due.

Microsoft really has a very good understanding of development and how to make things easier for developers.

And I must confess... I am LAZY as hell when it comes to development. If I can find a cheaper, easier, faster way, I will.

But every time I look into something that isn't Microsoft, I find nightmarish mazes of ways to get simple things done. One need only look at a text input in Windows Forms vs. GTK or whatever.

Microsoft just "gets it right" to make developers productive.

I've shied away from MS mobile platforms for the past few years, but I think I'll take a look again fairly soon.

I already do a lot of work on mobile platforms. Given how easy MS stuff is, it should be dirt easy to get a windows mobile app running. (I'll skip the cursing about other platforms.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 11:04 AM »
When our contract was about up last time, my wife and I decided to downgrade our phones, from smart phones to the LG Wine II. Nice big keys, no data plan. It's just a simple telephone (well, it can take pics):
 (see attachment in previous post)

I kind of wonder if that will become a trend.

I was talking to a neighbor the other day, and he was talking about the same kind of thing. He doesn't like all the other crap on his phone, and just wants a "phone", and maybe a camera at the most.

If I didn't need access to client e-mails and the occasional use of web protocols like HTTP to look up technical info or file a trouble ticket - or telnet/ssh to remotely check up on a server or router, I'd drop all the smartphone features in a heartbeat.

As long as I could call home (or emergency services and roadside assistance) that would be plenty for me. 8)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:15 AM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 02:16 PM »
What would users of Cody OS say?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 02:19 PM »
What would users of Cody OS say?

Especially when they are locked to apps available in the DC Store  :P

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 03:35 PM »

I've made my recent (philosophical) conversion public elsewhere, but I must give credit where it is due.

Microsoft really has a very good understanding of development and how to make things easier for developers.

And I must confess... I am LAZY as hell when it comes to development. If I can find a cheaper, easier, faster way, I will.

But every time I look into something that isn't Microsoft, I find nightmarish mazes of ways to get simple things done. One need only look at a text input in Windows Forms vs. GTK or whatever.

Microsoft just "gets it right" to make developers productive.

I've shied away from MS mobile platforms for the past few years, but I think I'll take a look again fairly soon.

I already do a lot of work on mobile platforms. Given how easy MS stuff is, it should be dirt easy to get a windows mobile app running. (I'll skip the cursing about other platforms.)
* Edvard tosses Renegade a monkey wrench...
Microsoft annoys developers with Windows Phone 8 secrecy
 ;)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 05:28 PM »
Brand insanity aside, these phones are getting too f****** big! A PITA to lug around and easy to smash up!

For my next phone I'm seriously considering going for the smallest, lightest device available that lets me make and receive calls, that's it.
~hipster-nosh

I seriously considered getting the biggest device I could fit in my pocket, and didn't really care if it could make calls or not! So there! In fact my last phone was an iPod Touch, which can't make calls.

In fact, I wonder if smartphones will eventually find a way to take "phone" out of the name, since making calls is probably a tiny fraction of what people use them for nowadays.

(I fibbed a little. Actually I am still using a dumbphone for that for the moment -  LG900 which has a qwerty (which in a dumbphone is probably a good thing because people were always saying "send me a text", and I liked it at first but don't recommend it because I've had 2 and same issues with both: the charging port goes bad, and the camera locks up when you try to take pictures to the SD card. )

My wife is the same as you, though. I just bought her a pretty decent quad-band flip phone recently, and the process of buying it made me realize that "dumb" phones are still evolving and getting better.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 05:38 PM »
On first reading of the subject line I was distressed. It seemed as if a new and rather unappealing fruit flavor was invented. Imagine my relief when it's only a Jobs-related thread!! :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 06:08 PM »
I seriously considered getting the biggest device I could fit in my pocket, and didn't really care if it could make calls or not! So there! In fact my last phone was an iPod Touch, which can't make calls.

In fact, I wonder if smartphones will eventually find a way to take "phone" out of the name, since making calls is probably a tiny fraction of what people use them for nowadays.

(I fibbed a little. Actually I am still using a dumbphone for that for the moment -  LG900 which has a qwerty (which in a dumbphone is probably a good thing because people were always saying "send me a text", and I liked it at first but don't recommend it because I've had 2 and same issues with both: the charging port goes bad, and the camera locks up when you try to take pictures to the SD card. )

My wife is the same as you, though. I just bought her a pretty decent quad-band flip phone recently, and the process of buying it made me realize that "dumb" phones are still evolving and getting better.

I got a LG500G prepaid through Tracfone, and it suits me just fine, though I've lately considered buying a cheap Huawei android phone and just using it through WiFi... kinda like a tiny tablet computer.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 06:20 PM »
I got a LG500G prepaid through Tracfone, and it suits me just fine, though I've lately considered buying a cheap Huawei android phone and just using it through WiFi... kinda like a tiny tablet computer.

Do you have the triple minutes for life deal? My phone is NET10, and would probably grab a LG 800G (touchscreen) with triple minutes if I weren't itching for an Android phone. Then I would paying like 3.33 cents a minute. Crazy deal.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32 PM »
No, but it did come with double mins for life, no extra card to buy.  Net10 is where I first saw a Huawei phone.  Their android phones require the 50.00/month plan, which made me think of it in the first place:
http://www.net10.com...?model=UCMTST_009539
Unfortunately, no Net10 android phones are available in my area, which I cannot understand at all.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 09:19 PM »
[deleted.. overall irrelevant - actually not sure, brought it back]

No, but it did come with double mins for life, no extra card to buy.  Net10 is where I first saw a Huawei phone.  Their android phones require the 50.00/month plan, which made me think of it in the first place:
http://www.net10.com...?model=UCMTST_009539
Unfortunately, no Net10 android phones are available in my area, which I cannot understand at all.

Once you start talking about Android phones and $50 plans, you may as well get a SIM from Straight Talk (same company America Movil (based in Mexico) as Net10/TracFone) and get whatever unlocked phone you want for $45 a month.

In my case, I'm good with 100-300 minutes of talk and some data, so what makes the most sense for me is either:

Virgin Mobile - use one of their phones, pay $35 for 300/min + unlimited (throttled to 256 Kbps after 2.5 GB)
T-Mobile - buy a SIM and put it in whatever compatible phone you want, pay $30/min + quasi-unlimited (throttled after 5 GB/month)

Nice round-ups of Prepaid plans in the US is on Prepaid Phone News (the second link I used as a source for the above info):
The Best U.S. Prepaid Voice and Text Deals
The Best US Prepaid Data Deals

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, and mobile phone requirements are very personal, but I can't help myself. :)

daddydave notes at long last this topic does not have the word phone.

[irrelevant to getting a cheap Android phone and just using as wi-fi. but possibly relevant to being disappointed that Net10 doesn't have Android phones in your area -- so that is why I undeleted it, I'll let you decide]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:32 PM by daddydave »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 03:46 AM »
On first reading of the subject line I was distressed. It seemed as if a new and rather unappealing fruit flavor was invented. Imagine my relief when it's only a Jobs-related thread!! :)

"10 years ago, Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs were alive. Now there's no Hope, no Cash, and no Jobs"!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 07:07 AM »
@Edvard:
I'm pretty sure I could write the Linux version myself. I just spent an entire day on a nonexistent problem where I hadn't run a simple script. I came close to self abuse just to teach myself to pay attention better!

Here are some excerpts:
-- I’m not saying I’m switching, but I sure am open to a better solution. Because the past year or so has been dominated by the kind of computing nightmares that used to be the defining experience of my Windows-PC-wielding friends and colleagues. And it’s not limited to the Mac – the iPhone is also a massive fail in what was once the exclusive province of Apple: Ease of use.

-- But my wife isn’t an outlier. She has about 250 contacts. She tries to use iCal, but can’t make it work. Her email breaks early and often. And she’s spent the past two months in IT hell, trying to salvage her digital life from the clutches of Apple’s self-centered, walled-garden update called the Lion operating system, which wiped out nearly all her previous settings and useful applications. Watching her struggles, and trying to help (and realizing I couldn’t without bringing in expensive professionals) made me wonder – whatever happened to ease of use?

--  I spent a few more fruitless hours trying to find another solution on the web. There wasn’t one that didn’t require pretty significant technical know-how (such as installing a utility, running it to reveal all files on the iPhone, then deleting each file one by one, even if you weren’t sure what the file did). The only option that was relatively straightforward and seemed to work, according to many forums, was to restore the phone. Which I did. And I lost all my apps save the ones that come preinstalled on the iPhone in the first place. And guess what? It didn’t fix the problem.

-- Oh, and then there’s the vaunted Apple Super Magical User Interface. You know, the Insanely Great Revolutionary Change the World User Experience that everyone fawns over as if it were a fact. Are you kidding me? If Apple’s UI is magical, then I’ve got a Unicorn to sell you. Let’s start with Mac Lion. There are so many Fails in this OS, it’s hard to know where to start. You need a 4-hour class just to understand all the contortions Apple seems to be doing in its attempt to make its desktop interface work the way the iPhone does. You know, pinch and swipe and app stores and mission controls and magic corners and all that. I’ve spent at least an hour figuring out how to turn most of that shit off. It just doesn’t work.

double-facepalm_0.jpg
Which is why this current i7 computer will be my last desktop "PC." Apple, Linux, Win8, whatever. I'm devolving to the guy who just wants things to work, and when I upgrade, I don't want to spend an entire weekend futzing and fiddling with settings and reinstalling apps; this is why I have enjoyed my little Chromebox. And unlike John Battelle above, while I use Linux, I have a wife who's forced into Microsoft land because of her company and all the contract software/servers they bought from Microsoft. And frankly, that OS is as confusing to me as a Windows user trying to configure YaST for the first time -- I have to google a lot of things just to find them, e.g., volume mixer? Oh, just right-click the taskbar. But I didn't find it among the "sound" options in the Control Panel. Why!! Oh well, it's the story of our lives, isn't it?

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 06:59 PM »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 07:39 PM »
In fact my last phone was an iPod Touch, which can't make calls.

Wouldn't that be going back to the old school PDA? (I have and still use an 11 year old HP Jornada 540 through wifi)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 08:18 PM »
In fact my last phone was an iPod Touch, which can't make calls.

Wouldn't that be going back to the old school PDA? (I have and still use an 11 year old HP Jornada 540 through wifi)

Yep.  :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 08:20 PM »
The cost for two of the above Wine II's was comparable to the cost of a single smartphone, and saved us the extra $$$ monthly on data.  Now, it'd be different if I had something with decent screen real-estate (a tablet maybe), but I just can't see shelling out the extra dinero for a data plan for a phone with a screen that makes using that data plan a pain.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 11:52 PM »
The cost for two of the above Wine II's was comparable to the cost of a single smartphone, and saved us the extra $$$ monthly on data.  Now, it'd be different if I had something with decent screen real-estate (a tablet maybe), but I just can't see shelling out the extra dinero for a data plan for a phone with a screen that makes using that data plan a pain.

I use my phone's data for my tablet when I'm out. But I can't see a dedicated data plan for my tablet... when my phone has it... and this is just the opposite way to do it, but meh, same-same.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57 PM »

You know, I miss my old Palm Tungsten.  I didn't have to worry about each and every app's different configuration to get it to sync with whatever variant of cloud storage they use.  I just put the thing in the cradle, pushed a button and everything on my desktop was synched with the device.  Simple.

At least that's the way I remember it, but maybe time has faded memories of problems I encountered?

Though I must say, I do like getting maps and internet on the phone.  The Tungsten didn't do that.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 04:39 PM »

You know, I miss my old Palm Tungsten.  I didn't have to worry about each and every app's different configuration to get it to sync with whatever variant of cloud storage they use.  I just put the thing in the cradle, pushed a button and everything on my desktop was synched with the device.  Simple.

At least that's the way I remember it, but maybe time has faded memories of problems I encountered?

Nope, that's really the way it was, and perhaps you used something like Plucker or iSilo as an offline web browser to generate "e-books" out of rss feeds and web pages to sync to the device so you could read them instantly instead of having to wait for them to load over an internet or network connection. On my iPod Touch 2, even if tried to load something stored on the device, I still had to wait. There is an Android version of iSilo, although at least one review says it hasn't kept up with the times (the desktop client always had a few quirks, too). Wonder if it is worth a try. but it is fairly expensive (for a smartphone app).

When I get an Android device, I will attempt to locate tools that can make desktop sync as simple as Palm OS or Windows Mobile (I had a Tungsten T3 a Dell Axim x51v too)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 04:05 AM »
Well, never mind the shit apple fanatics say... What about the shit APPLE says (on the map fail):

http://www.huffingto...4.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better.

Ummm... Didn't you mean tolerable to the point that you don't want to stab yourself in the face? :P

And then there's what Nokia says:

We also understand that ‘pretty isn’t enough.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHA~!  :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 04:11 AM »
224527_10151071471736840_1011038312_n.jpg

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 05:53 AM »
Absolutely hilarious - if every missing road, distorted/inaccurate picture, missing town, missing country (!) etc. and transit error were reported to Apple in real time and their users followed their advice the Apple Cloud would meltdown within 5 minutes - it would be one hell of a DOS on Apple.

Having said that the overnight queue of 1300 people outside the London Regent's Street store are all to stupid to know how to report an error to Apple.

The only good thing is that when iPhone 5 is released most Apple users won't be able to find their stores ;-)

Seriously if they have ANY sense whatsoever they will immediately replace the maps App it the old Google version and admit defeat. It will be months at best (and probably years) before this debacle is fixed and by that time no one - not even the Apple fanboys - will trust Apple Maps ever again!