topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What's your favorite computer game from when you were young?  (Read 116466 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your favorite computer game from when you were young?
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2009, 04:51 PM »
It's funny how many of the good old games were done by EA before their transformation to corporate tyrant, and how many of their games were innovative as opposed to now.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2009, 05:06 PM »
It's funny how many of the good old games were done by EA before their transformation to corporate tyrant, and how many of their games were innovative as opposed to now.

IMHO, it think a lot of it had to do with Trip Hawkins being at the helm in the early days. EA lost its sense of humor and much of its soul after he left.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2009, 05:18 PM »
... That's the famous Atari 2600's ET! The game that caused the video game crash in 1983 and almost killed Atari altogether in the process. You know about the millions of carts buried in New Mexico, don't you? ;D

Covering the world of corporate "strategies" is a veil that is best left undisturbed.   ;)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Had to slap my head over this. Yuu Yuu Hakusho was a popular anime over here when I was a kid but since the game was SD and Japanese, I didn't realize I was playing a game about the anime until I squinted at the image.

Still holds a special place in my heart for being the:

1st rpg I've played before I knew what that word was about

1st action rpg I've played where it didn't revolve on puzzles but on kicking ass (something I only rekindled when I played Shenmue)

1st full modeled rpg characters with SD counterparts (again, something I didn't encounter again until I've played FF7)

1st game where special powers change in appearance as they grow stronger instead of having to buy and equip them

Only game I played where there's a brief sequence where a guy on foot was chasing a car

1st game I played where you can switch characters and they weren't a pallette color design of their counterparts and all had different moves but wasn't a fighting game

1st game I played where you beat up characters to recruit them and the characters were bosses (which made them extra special for the time)

1st game I played where the bosses had more than 1 form

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2009, 06:09 AM »
Currently I'm playing the recently release DX mod: "The Nameless Mod" (its almost as deep and wide as the original).
-widgewunner (May 18, 2009, 10:24 AM)

just curious, does this mod update the graphics of the original game, à la some kind of high-res pack?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2009, 10:31 AM »

IMHO, it think a lot of it had to do with Trip Hawkins being at the helm in the early days. EA lost its sense of humor and much of its soul after he left.

I think a lot of that soul was drained by EA going public- stockholder accountability can make a company do many things that are counterproductive to maintaining the happiness of it's user base.  It's very hard to maintain a balance between making your users happy and making your stockholders happy.

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2009, 05:29 PM »
... just curious, does this mod update the graphics of the original game, à la some kind of high-res pack?

No, but there is a (beta?) high res pack available (from the same guys that developed TNM) for Deus Ex that some folks are running with TNM (see this thread). I haven't tried it because the original graphics seem just fine to me (I'm pretty easy to please graphics-wise).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2009, 07:56 PM »
thanks widgewunner, i've found a download link from the forums that you mentioned. going to try out this weekend. ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Someone else in this thread mentioned it, but I'll bring it up again....the grand-daddy of all post-apocalyptic RPGs Wasteland. It had absolutely horrific graphics by today's standards (EGA), but it had a wonderful story & is another one of those wonderful intellectual properties that has been lost to the sands of time. I don't think anyone knows anymore who owns the rights to it so it has never been re-done.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2009, 10:30 AM »
I think fallout is the spiritual successor to wasteland.  Checkout fallout 2 for the best proof of that as some of the locales and npcs directly borrow from wasteland.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2009, 01:40 PM »
Too late...I bought both Fallout 1 and 2 when they hit the shelves & have played them both through more than once.

I'm working my way through Fallout 3 & I'm having a blast with it. One just has to keep in mind that it is more of a spiritual successor to Fallout 2 (much like Fallout 1 was the spiritual successor to Wasteland like you mentioned) rather than a traditional sequel. I've been downloading some mods off of Fallout Nexus & some of them have me giddy like a schoolgirl.

But....I'd love to see an updated Wasteland using the latest state of the art graphics, game mechanics, and UI.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2009, 01:59 PM »
What is funny is how many people actually bought it. Every time I buy out someone's full collection of old atari games, this one is almost always in it. (I buy old atari collections at yard sales)

I might still have some around for you if you are interested, App, but it too has that game.  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Too late...I bought both Fallout 1 and 2 when they hit the shelves & have played them both through more than once.

When I said 'check out' I meant look at the references- I pretty much assumed you would have already heard of it, if not played it.  There was actually supposed to be a sequel, but I never played it.

As far as who owns the rights, apparently Brian Fargo acquired them back in 2003, and has apparently said that he's looking at doing a sequel, but that's only second hand information.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2009, 04:36 PM »
I knew what you meant, but I was just having a little bit of fun.  Yeah, I know...I'm easily entertained. :)

I played Fountain of Dreams & when the page you linked to said it was a disappointment to Wasteland fans the person who wrote that was being very kind, to say the least.

I didn't know about Brian Fargo owns the rights to Wasteland. While I respect what he did for the original I'm not so sure the people over at DuckAndCover are doing the right thing for putting so much faith in him doing a better job than Bethesda. Looking at that Line Rider and what they did to The Bard's Tale his company isn't exactly showing that they are going in the right direction.