topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: It's Official: Many DC'ers Are Psychopaths~! :P  (Read 22193 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: It's Official: Many DC'ers Are Psychopaths~! :P
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 07:39 PM »
And I'm also getting real tired of all the psychological bullying going around these days.
That's pretty much where I was coming from earlier. It started out as a means to help people, but now it's mostly just weaponized nonsense. Sure there are still some of the low level touchy feely I'm ok you're ok types. But the bulk of the psychology effort seems to go into screwing the shit out of the populace by conning them into believing some mindblowingly ridiculous spin-doctored bullshit. Like we're really supposed to feel sorry for the oil (oops) "energy" companies because they're having such a tough time making ends meet while they try so gash darn hard to make the world a better place for everybody... Seriously??? [comment omitted to avoid burning a hole in the fabric of the internet]

Either that or they're trying to "fix" things that are just not repairable. Some fruitcake standing over a pile of corpses with a can of whipped cream, a sparkler, and a spoon does not need counseling.

+1

Couldn't agree more.

Psychology signals were used as weapon in society for centuries. These days it is heavily used in corporate places and social interaction to bully people.

+1 again.

And you see articles like this EVERY DAY in the news. Maybe not as blatant, but they're always there. Usually softer and in higher numbers.

Tell a lie enough times and it becomes truth.  >:(

I love the analogy "weaponized", because that's so completely bang on.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 11:08 AM »
You can't win if you are willing to believe the articles. You either don't have a Facebook account and it means that there is something wrong with you, or you do have a Facebook account and it means there is something wrong with you. Either way, there is still something wrong with you.

http://www.dailymail...low-self-esteem.html

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 11:51 AM »
You can't win if you are willing to believe the articles. You either don't have a Facebook account and it means that there is something wrong with you, or you do have a Facebook account and it means there is something wrong with you. Either way, there is still something wrong with you.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA~! ;D

Oh god... It only gets better~!

Even George Carlin would have had a tough time keeping up with the hilarity~! :D

But seriously -- +1 for the good observation about "there's something wrong with you". A bit telling, perhaps?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 01:32 PM »
But they're different wrongs. So stop being a murderous terrorist and join Facebook and take your pink pill so you can be a nice docile little narcissistic sheep. That's a good boy now! Yes you are! :o

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Some fruitcake standing over a pile of corpses with a can of whipped cream, a sparkler, and a spoon does not need counseling.

so you've seen my FB photo?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 11:20 PM »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA~! ;D

Oh god... It only gets better~!

Even George Carlin would have had a tough time keeping up with the hilarity~! :D

But seriously -- +1 for the good observation about "there's something wrong with you". A bit telling, perhaps?

The best part is how my link is from one of the sites you linked to in your first post.  ;D

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 12:24 AM »
I'm schizoid, does that work?

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 09:48 AM »
"what's wrong with you" is the oldest trick in the book to silence other people. It's also a great sales trick - convince enough of the population that something is wrong with them/their bodies/their mind and you can sell them things for a long time. It's also a great control trick - the more time people spend on making themselves acceptable, the more they are kept busy chasing, the less time they have to think or challenge...

I keep thinking the range of acceptable choices and behaviours keeps getting narrower because there is less and less space at the edges/frontiers where people can go. It's obviously an evolution of the "not good" variety, especially for people who can't help being different, or people who are by temperament tricksters or boundary pushers.

PS: not being on facebook would be being a sociopath, not a psychopath. just sayin...

PPS: I remember reading that the guy up in Norway had done/said/posted things on facebook, so their premises are probably off (these guys probably arent on facebook AFTER the fact cause their profiles were disconnected asap to investigate and to protect innocent connections etc.)

PPPS: actually, "what's wrong with you" is the thing that jumps into my head whenever i read almost any article in that newspaper. Which I try to avoid, as it winds me up so.

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 09:56 AM »
If you don't use facebook, you're clearly antisocial and should be taken to a professional before you snap at how disgusting human social interaction really is.

If you use facebook, clearly you're depressed and need happy happy pills at the cost of $15000 a bottle that do nothing at all anyway.

This is a perfect trap, somebody is going to get richer than ever before writing books and pushing pills to fix these problems.

I'm already documented antisocial, though really it has to do with comfort zone- I won't talk unless I am comfortable talking in that environment, so my facebook is purely for keeping tabs on people that I don't like. Somehow, that alone is bad enough to get a shrink to put tags on me and try to sell me pills that are documented to cause the very things they are designed to treat.

Needless to say as soon as I turned 18 and could make my own decisions regarding that kind of thing, ALL of that stopped. I'm better off now than I ever was relying on professional attention, and I'm even riding out the most stressful times I've ever had in my life. Doesn't that kind of thing point finger at the shrinks and say "What exactly was it you were doing for me?"  

And besides, I flat out will not work for a company that tries to snoop my facebook. Not that it matters, the only thing they'd see is attempts to advertise my one man corporation (LLC) that failed spectacularly because unless you're a social butterfly on facebook nobody cares what you have to say there anyway. If anything I should use that lurking account to keep tabs on the HR department's activities, because they'd probably be scratching their head over why I would be so inactive on it.

Oh yeah and icing on the cake- human social behavior is so deceptively simple, that I have not one but TWO artificial intelligences on my chatroom that are capable of passing the turing test. Their entire knowledge is based on observing the way we talk and imitating it, rearranging the words in an attempt to make sense. More often than not the result is as readable as a broken translation, and people can actually hold a conversation with them not realizing that it's not a human they're talking to.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 02:27 PM »
PS: not being on facebook would be being a sociopath, not a psychopath. just sayin...

@I - thanks for pointing that out. It drives me crazy listening to psych terminology being bandied about with little regard for using the correct terms. So much so I've given up even attempting to correct any more. :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 02:55 PM »
I'm already documented antisocial, though really it has to do with comfort zone- I won't talk unless I am comfortable talking in that environment, so my facebook is purely for keeping tabs on people that I don't like. Somehow, that alone is bad enough to get a shrink to put tags on me and try to sell me pills that are documented to cause the very things they are designed to treat.

Needless to say as soon as I turned 18 and could make my own decisions regarding that kind of thing, ALL of that stopped. I'm better off now than I ever was relying on professional attention, and I'm even riding out the most stressful times I've ever had in my life. Doesn't that kind of thing point finger at the shrinks and say "What exactly was it you were doing for me?" 

I've had a kinda rough year of transition growth, and I would like to point out that "not all docs are created equal". I have a pretty good primary care doc who knows his stuff, and as I am moderately smart I amped up the level of dialogue and so we examined the available medicines by the type of effect on neurotransmitters. So he's willing and able to keep up with an patient "active in the process". 

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 12:56 AM »
...snipped...
...snipped...

Officially there is no difference anymore. Both psychopathy and sociopathy have been combined under Anti-Social Personality Disorder (APSD) in the DSM-IV. Many shrinks now consider the terms to be synonymous, though a number of them still separate the two diagnoses.

Jim

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 02:08 AM »
I think current and the next decade is going to be worst for the anti-social behavior cases. I mean people will judge each other based on some milestones and will outcast them, this includes habit of spending time on the Internet. I mean how many of you don't attend some of the social gathering and instead spend time with family or interwebs? This type of behavior is going to be on rise as joint families goes extinct and also have some introvert members in them. People who are not sweet talkers, good looking or intellectually dominating are going to stay behind on such social gathering. That way their behavior will be judged as anti-social not because they didn't tried, but because the social manipulation which destroyed their self esteem from joining such places and they chose not to be get bullied. Let's admit it, people love to corner one person and talk BS in parties or social gathering. The aim of social gathering among intellectually low lifers is to make fun of others. Been there, seen that, suffered from that.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 06:35 AM »
Officially there is no difference anymore. Both psychopathy and sociopathy have been combined under Anti-Social Personality Disorder (APSD) in the DSM-IV. Many shrinks now consider the terms to be synonymous, though a number of them still separate the two diagnoses.

My psychiatrist maintains that I'm... oh, hold on... inner voice, outer voice... Gotta keep those straight sometimes. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34 AM »
...snipped...
...snipped...

Jim

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."

Might be easier to just call it all Thoughtcrime and be done with it. ;)

Besides, lumping undesirable things together under as few words as possible to preclude alternative thinking is one of the more brilliant tactics of Newspeak. ;D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Oh, I agree completely. They didn't really kill off those two terms - psychopath and sociopath; they basically just inserted another layer of categorization above them. While diagnoses codes for psychopathy and sociopathy were removed and replaced by Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) back in 1980 (!!), most psychiatrists still use the older terms and believe that there are definite differences between them.

Jim

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2012, 11:15 AM »
most psychiatrists still use the older terms and believe that there are definite differences between them.

Mine does. Ooops... inner voice, outer voice... Not doing very well with that today...  :huh:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29 AM »
This constant "Politically Correct" watering down of things is truly insulting on a very base level. A 'disorder' makes it sound as if something is only mildly out-of-place (like disarray or disheveled) ... They just need a cookie and a good talking to (right...). Now sociopath OTOH ... Is obviously now someone you'd want dating your daughter. ...But it isn't "fair" to "stigmatize" these people with such a harsh term...because it might negatively impact their ability to find employment...in child care.

Okay, so can anyone do a (like 10 words or less) thumbnail sketch in the distinction(s) between:
Sociopath
Psychopath
Psychotic

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Sociopath == Donnie Darko
Psychopath == Shutter Island
Psychotic == The Hitcher

Why so serious ?  :D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 12:07 PM »
...snipped...
...snipped...

Jim

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."

Might be easier to just call it all Thoughtcrime and be done with it. ;)

Besides, lumping undesirable things together under as few words as possible to preclude alternative thinking is one of the more brilliant tactics of Newspeak. ;D
;D reminds me of this:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Sociopath == Donnie Darko
Psychopath == Shutter Island
Psychotic == The Hitcher

Why so serious ?  :D

+1 for referencing a great movie... The Hitcher!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 12:44 PM »
;D reminds me of this:

Thanks for posting that! Hadn't seen that one before.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 02:34 PM »
...snipped...
...snipped...

Jim

DSM 5 is due about 2013 according to Wikipedia. Fun fact from Wiki: "The publication of the DSM, with tightly guarded copyrights, now makes APA over $5 million a year, historically adding up to over $100 million."

https://en.wikipedia...-5:_the_next_version