topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Happy Birthday C=64  (Read 11107 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Happy Birthday C=64
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:51 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/n.../technology-19055707

I can't believe he didn't hook up the 1541 and save that tape drive loading time.  Or even use a cartridge or two. I mean, he could SHOW the tape drive, and START loading a game to demonstrate it's awfulness...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Happy Birthday C=64
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:44 AM »
Probably trying to make one of those "When I was your age we had to WALK to school - in the SNOW - and and it was UPHILL - BOTH ways" points.  ;D

Now if he just loaded up a copy of Ultima III  :Thmbsup: or Elite  :-* he might have won a few converts.  :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:52 AM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Last Ninja was also nice on C64.

Can't remember the name of the game anymore, but I think it required 3 disks and you commander of a team of people. And you commanded a space vessel, you could board other vessels in space, battle in space, travel through solar systems, excavate planets for stuff to buy and sell, enter the planet's cities and houses, trade with the locals etc. Quite extensive, especially for that day and age.

Ah well, enough miles on the the memory lane...soon I'll hit level 60 at Skyrim. 

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:25 PM »
,8 ,1~! ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:54 PM »
,8 ,1~! ;D

A true (old) geek joke :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 03:55 AM »

Poke Renegade 53280,0 to turn his shirt and pants black to make him a ninja!

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 05:30 AM »
I remember starting my own C64 emulator 7 or 8 years ago with some kind of dynarec. Only the full CPU, memory and a simple VIC with Sprites were working. Perhaps I hang on again and bring it to the end in the future? A while ago I found a few of my first demoroutines I took to Amiga and later to PC with converters. This was really a memorable and moving moment looking at those pixels from the past and my beginning as a coder.

A friend of mine (a member of Farbrausch - perhaps you know them) made the most advanced and accurate but also rather unknown C64 emulator of them all. Perhaps you´d like to see how the C64 optics really were on old TVs - this is the best way on nowaday machines utilizing dynarec compilation techniques and full GPU usage (there are two versions of this emulator) even simulating your window reflections and disturbing electric behaviour of your old Monitor. If you´d also like to see how a 10000 fps C64 looks & feels with several Ghz speed - this one makes it possible. It´s still in development - not as dead as most other emulators!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:58 AM by Crush »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:56 AM »
I don't understand what is being emulated - I don't recall my old C64 as a kid looking anywhere near that awful on the TV.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Remebering the past always let thing look very nice and beautiful. That´s a human mechanism. This emulator reproduces all on an electronic based reproduction with such a detail no other emultor does at the moment.
You can change the settings to the level you like - also clean and perfect if you wish.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Remebering the past always let thing look very nice and beautiful. That´s a human mechanism. This emulator reproduces all on an electronic based reproduction with such a detail no other emultor does at the moment.
You can change the settings to the level you like - also clean and perfect if you wish.

Nah, not quite beautiful, just I'm absolutely positive my screen didn't shake quite THAT much. I was a sensitive kid and it would have freaked me out (not exactly a headache, but something in that category.)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 12:06 PM »
I remember mine looking exactly like that.  That was the reason that I used my Laser 128 for anything that wasn't gaming- the CRT gave a better image than the TV.   And I don't believe that's shaking- that's overscan from the settings being off.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 01:13 PM »
I still have our Commodore 128D that can be started up in C64 mode.  Does that count for anything?  I also still have our Atari 130XE as well.  Both fully work and I still have working software on 5.25 floppies.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I still have our Commodore 128D that can be started up in C64 mode.  Does that count for anything?  I also still have our Atari 130XE as well.  Both fully work and I still have working software on 5.25 floppies.

+4 for the Commodore 128. It was PERFECTLY situated with a 250% better BASIC against the passage of about 3 years of typical childhood, such that it became my signature machine at 12, and I couldn't really grasp the harder concepts of the C64 at 9.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 02:27 PM »
I still have our Commodore 128D that can be started up in C64 mode.  Does that count for anything?  I also still have our Atari 130XE as well.  Both fully work and I still have working software on 5.25 floppies.

zaphod.jpg

Yes! It does. Great PC that little Frankenstein was. I named mine Zaphod Beeblebrox in honor of that dual CPU design.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:37 PM by 40hz »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Hehehe...yep, great machine.  My wife still has me hook it up occasionally so she can kick some ass on Impossible Mission.  She's badass at that game.   :D

"Another visitor. Stay awhile... staaaaay FOREVER!"

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Can't remember the name of the game anymore, but I think it required 3 disks and you commander of a team of people. And you commanded a space vessel, you could board other vessels in space, battle in space, travel through solar systems, excavate planets for stuff to buy and sell, enter the planet's cities and houses, trade with the locals etc. Quite extensive, especially for that day and age.

Were you thinking of Frontier: Elite II by Konami/Gametek?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:25 PM »
I wouldn't think that Elite II fit the description of what he was talking about.  But... there's plenty of info about it to say if so.

Wikipedia Linkw

Official Page

Retro Reminiscence article

It was an amazing game- but also a lone wolf type of game.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Elite II never captured the charm that Elite had, if you´d ask me.

The game I talk about I saw while visiting a local computer club annex copyshop (in more ways than one).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Interesting (and lengthy!) article about old  and/or fading computer games.