topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ReImage: online Windows repair!  (Read 67423 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ReImage: online Windows repair!
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 02:46 AM »
Looking at what it helpfully says for free, your main problem is windows search. That was my main problem on one of my machines. Nasty thing. And it is hard to uninstall, but can be disabled and its index minimised.

-WS has been a problem to me in more ways; the index is very seldom how I expect it to be. Sometimes, folders that I have manually added to be indexed, aren't, and sometimes they are. It's like my ex: "well, maybe I will, and then again maybe I won't!". From time to time I have used different search engines, but I have so far always returned to WS, because the others don't work quite like I would like them to. But I will see if totally disabling index will help - thank you!.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 04:05 AM »
If it does all these jobs it says, for a small office that is not a bad idea. but it's not that far from win7 upgrade price, no?

+1 this, a Win7 OEM DVD (x86 or x64) can be had for AU$93 here, you get physical media and it will last longer than a year.

It will also fix Curts Vista OS problem :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 08:49 AM »
-I have of course thought about upgrading. But Microsoft's tester tells me my PC isn't quite up to it.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 10:20 AM »
Does it say why you can't upgrade to Windows 7?

It could be reading your system wrong, since you have had so much trouble with it.

From what I've seen or remember of your computer,
it should take W7 easily.

It will backup your Vista to windows.old which you can explore.
Though I've never tried to explore it, I've heard you can.
Either by mounting it or opening it. Can't recall.

At least 1gb of ram and a decent cpu will do it.
I have a single core 1gb laptop that had Vista on it and it upgraded, no problem.

If you buy W7, you may want the full version and not just the upgrade.
An upgrade disk requires that you have a windows operating system on your computer.
In case you want to format the whole thing and install, or put it on a new hard drive.
W7 Business is best imo.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 10:52 AM »

probably it can burn a CD by now... But this messing with your boot, installing a boot manager and hocus pocus around the key, well, it put me off. But somehow it needs to install something at the book layer. Software seems well aware of other OSes from their website, but still...

Boot thingies and partition level changes break machines. I am not doing this BEFORE I have made a backup copy.

Oh wait, I'm installing this so I can do a backup copy.

Ah, well, let me install some other backup tool first then...

And years later I remind myself how I bought this software untested and never got around to using it, and feel cheated.

I wonder whether you are referring to BootItNG, (now BootIt Bare Metal) rather than Image for Windows ? BING is indeed a partition manager, which proposed to install itself on a new partition, which, in some cases, can cause problems.
.merle1.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 02:30 PM »
-I have of course thought about upgrading. But Microsoft's tester tells me my PC isn't quite up to it.

I would not put too much faith in Microsoft's tester. I've installed Windows 7 on both a circa 2005 Dell XPS system and a circa 2006 Dell laptop. In both cases they ran Windows 7 as well or better than they did XP & they both had MUCH better performance than when they had Vista installed on them.

There are plenty of ways on the internet to download an ISO of Windows 7. Just leave the serial key field blank when it asks for one & you'll have a 30 day trial of the new shiny OS. If you find it meets your needs (and I don't think you'll be disappointed at all) you can then buy a Windows 7 license & plug your serial number in with no loss of data.

I tell people Windows 7 is the wonder OS. I've installed it on lots of older computers and it has breathed new life into every one.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 02:59 AM »

Seriously?

If I can run Windows 7 on a Acer Netbook, (N270 Atom, 1.5GB RAM, 60GB HDD), then you must have a Pentium II :D

Honestly, if you can get drivers for Win7, (the Vista ones will work), then upgrade - you can even try it for free for 120 days.  Download the ISO from Digital River, (Microsoft sells through them), and just don't enter a serial number, you get 30 days free and you can re-arm three times for another 90.

Image your drive just in case, (for some inexplicable reason), Win7 really hates your computer.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 06:56 AM »
Sorry, I was too tired to post my previous post, but did it all the same. My machine is not up to it, because Microsoft's tester said my PC is 32-bits only. I have this fixed idea that my next machine must be a 64-bits, and I just won't pay that much to upgrade to yet another 32-bits system. I am not even able to install more RAM.

I would love to upgrade this old one to W7 for free, but that is usually not how the song goes.

------------------------
Edited:
I took the first step and downloaded the .iso. But before I install it, I'll have to count 120 days ahead so I can calculate to have the money (or a free key!?) when the trial period is ending ;-)

From Firefox:

2012-02-18.gif
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:27 AM by Curt »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Sorry, I was too tired to post my previous post, but did it all the same. My machine is not up to it, because Microsoft's tester said my PC is 32-bits only. I have this fixed idea that my next machine must be a 64-bits, and I just won't pay that much to upgrade to yet another 32-bits system. I am not even able to install more RAM.

Those two old Dell computers I mentioned earlier are 32-bit machines. Performance improved even though they didn't possess 64-bit CPUs.

I took the first step and downloaded the .iso. But before I install it, I'll have to count 120 days ahead so I can calculate to have the money (or a free key!?) when the trial period is ending ;-)

Sometimes you can find good deals on OEM versions of Windows 7. As for a free key, many ways to get one on the internet, but I wouldn't discuss that dark path in a public venue. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 03:37 AM »
My machine is not up to it, because Microsoft's tester said my PC is 32-bits only.

Is it still the Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo Pi 2680 - E01 you mention here ?

If so, then it can run 64 bit - all Intel Core 2 CPUs can.

If you're running a 32bit OS then Microsoft tester will report 32bit upgrade.

However, for a new install which is what you should be doing, then you have x86 or x64 - you don't have a hardware limitation.

You're only limitation is how hard you want to hang on to esoteric x86 programs :)

If it's the system you mention in the other post, you'll also gain another 512-768MB of usable RAM by going x64.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 06:48 AM »
Is it still the Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo Pi 2680 - E01
, then you have x86 or x64 - you don't have a hardware limitation.

I am amazed. THANKS, 4wd ♥

At first, back then, I expected it could run 64-bits, because that was the impression I was given from a post made by someone here at DC. Later on I thought he or I probably had misunderstood something, and that the Scaleo was 32-bits only. Now you are giving me more than just new hope!

You see, I had my hardware tested just yesterday, and the conclusion was that it is a fine machine. Yeah, merely 4GB RAM, and cheap components only, but otherwise fine. And now reading your post, I cannot wait to get my hands on a W7 disc.

But next question is of course, What version should I go for when 4GB RAM is the limit? Can a clever man install more than 4GB? I believe W7 Home Premium can handle 16GB?
:tellme:

Edited:
Anyway, the version that I first downloaded was a 32-bits. It has now been deleted, and I am downloading the 64-bits version of W7 Home Premium.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:45 AM by Curt »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59 AM »
But next question is of course, What version should I go for when 4GB RAM is the limit? Can a clever man install more than 4GB? I believe W7 Home Premium can handle 16GB?

Windows 7 x64 and x86 will both run fine with 4 GB RAM. As to whether or not you can install more than 4 GB, read the manual for your PC and you tell us. :D    I suspect it will not be a difficult task at all.

Anyway, the version that I first downloaded was a 32-bits. It has now been deleted, and I am downloading the 64-bits version of W7 Home Premium.

A cautious/paranoid person probably would have made sure the 64-bit version worked before deleting the 32-bit ISO. ;)

[/quote]

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 12:47 AM »
Can a clever man install more than 4GB? I believe W7 Home Premium can handle 16GB?

Use SIW or something and tell us what motherboard is in it, (there was a choice of motherboards for that model) ?
Also, how many RAM modules are currently installed ?

Secondly, I would run for a while with just 4GB to see if a RAM upgrade is absolutely necessary, (remember you'll gain 512-768MB because of x64).  Since DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3 you might be better off saving pennies for a CPU/motherboard/RAM upgrade a few months on.  You can also still get Socket 775 boards that take DDR3 and they are reasonably cheap, (eg. Asus P5G41T-M-LX3 DDR3 @ AU$59).

This is the same sort of query superboyac had in another thread.

I wouldn't get your hopes up though, manufacturers tend to mATX boards for mid-range PCs, as such they only normally have 2 RAM slots.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:44 AM by 4wd »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 03:17 AM »
SIW Standalone Freeware Version has been discontinued
-SIW

-the only free one is now with an installer with Open Candy.

Motherboard
Name: MS-7379VP
Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS
Serial number: To be filled by O.E.M.
Version: 4.0
-Fujitsu Siemens

-not much to learn from. And yes, merely two RAM slots. Used to the max; 2 x 2GB.
I was just hoping it would be possible to add more slots - notice the spelling, o not u.

I would run for a while with just 4GB to see if a RAM upgrade is absolutely necessary,

Instinctual, more RAM is always an absolute necessity..., but of course I am pleased with the idea that W7 is using the full 4GB - I am only seldom consuming more than 2½GB.

Anyway, the prime reason I have been going for Home Premium is that Home Premium is what I already have: Less new things to learn, giving me less to mess up. And sometimes I really do make a mess ;-)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 04:26 AM »
I was just hoping it would be possible to add more slots - notice the spelling, o not u.

;D

You've got a mini-tower case which means you're stuck with mATX motherboards, (unless you change the case), so you'll normally have only two RAM slots.

Now 8GB of DDR2, (2x4GB), is not cheap, (just to use Newegg for comparison), eg. Newegg 2x4GB from US$134

It would be cheaper to change the motherboard and get 8GB of DDR3, (2x4GB).
eg.
MSI G41M-P23 LGA 775 @ US$50
Team Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM @ US$34

You save US$50 over buying DDR2 if you change the motherboard and RAM.

NOTE: Most mATX motherboard specifications quote maximum supported RAM as being 4GB or 8GB - this might just be due to larger capacity modules not being available when they were made.  They may take 16GB in 2x8GB modules but you'd have to ask the manufacturer.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59 AM »
Curt,  I am currently running W7 Pro on an older 32 bit machine.  I started out with 2 gig of RAM but since one stick failed me, I am running on 1 gig now and it is working fairly well.  No lockups or anything like that. 

It is a Dual Core machine at 1.6 ghz. 

As I recall 32 bit machine won't see all of the 4 gig of memory but that doesn't affect it in anyway. 

Scroll down this page a bit and you will see the Windows 7 specs for maximum memory.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30 AM »
SIW Standalone Freeware Version has been discontinued
-SIW

-the only free one is now with an installer with Open Candy.
http://portableapps....ilities/siw_portable

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 09:25 AM »
-thank you, 4wd, Innuendo, techidave, and PhilB66.  :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 09:40 AM »
W7 Business is best imo.

Is "Business" the same as "Enterprise", or...?

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08 AM »
The version of windows 7 I bought came with both CDs, one for 32 and one for 64 - so even if your pc needed 32, your win7 license could later be reinstalled as 64b on a new machine.

Not all packages in not all store come with both, though, so best to check

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 10:42 AM »
-thanks, iphigenie. If I purchase a motherboard, like 4wd suggested, I am entitled to also purchase a W7 disc like Home Premium OEM for $100. I would expect such a disc to strictly be one machine only. I am thinking going that road, just to make sure I have a disc; My close-by shop, where I bought the Vista, will only sell systems without discs. My Vista was such OEM.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 11:12 AM »
W7 Business is best imo.

Is "Business" the same as "Enterprise", or...?

There is no Win7 Business edition, it's Professional.

Enterprise & Ultimate are identical feature-wise...only the license model changes (and the need for a key validation server for the Ent Lic.).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 11:31 AM »
-thanks, Stoic Joker. I have heard of many W7 versions, but when I visit Microsoft's Danish store, I can only choose between Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. Nothing else. My Windows 2000 was a Professional, and I hated how I always had to answer annoying questions about sharing, so I guess I will stick to Home Premium, but so far only because I don't know what Home Basic is or even how to get it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 12:29 PM »
Windows xpmode only comes with professional or higher. Might be worth having...

FWIW, I have professional on a standalone machine, I installed it myself and dont remember much about it - meaning it was *not* traumatic ;-) & not much in the line of questions.
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 02:57 PM »
-can W7 Professional be told that this station is for one user only, or do you have to keep answering questions about if you want to share this file?