topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Who's up for a DonationCoder talk show?  (Read 30895 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Who's up for a DonationCoder talk show?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 04:25 PM »
Ok...yes, this whole setup is taking a lot more time than I expected.  But I'm also probably adding bells and whistles that aren't necessary...but I want to.  Yes, i do plan on recording it and I'm going to try to get Stephen to be the first guest.  He is a NANY participant!

Somewhat xD

P.S. Stephen is a good choice too! If he interviews even half as well as he posts - I'm all ears. :Thmbsup:

I like this thread...I'm getting undeserved praise!  ;D.  My god I love DC haha  :-*

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 04:26 PM »
I'm not known as being someone who suffers fools gladly. :)
Sigh...that's actually me.  I suffer fools almost to a fault.  But this will be my outlet!

Imagine how mouser feels putting up with the rest of us all the time. ;)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 07:50 PM »
*bump*

Dead project?  :(

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 10:52 PM »
*bump*

No!  I still want to try it.  I'm not comfortable with my setup right now.  I've already purchased like $200 of stuff.  It's the website work that is the most difficult for me.  I don't know how to embed my icecast stream into a simple html page.

I already have some notes about you for talking points.  Hope you don't mind me nosing around!

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 02:33 AM »
How about using blogtalkradio? It also lets you save the convo and then allows others to download mp3, just in case if anyone miss the show.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 11:15 AM »
*bump*

No!  I still want to try it.  I'm not comfortable with my setup right now.  I've already purchased like $200 of stuff.  It's the website work that is the most difficult for me.  I don't know how to embed my icecast stream into a simple html page.

I already have some notes about you for talking points.  Hope you don't mind me nosing around!

You could use Sam Broadcaster, that allows for you to record and broadcast the stream, and also automatically generates output files for PHP and HTML based websites, which also both connect up to your chosen Database (If you decide you want to share you music collection with people) :P

Failing that, try Shoutcast, as you can use some free service like "listen2myradio(dot)com" and use their plugins to add it to your website.  Very simple.

Alternatively you could also just broadcast using icecast, and embed a media player into your site, which will connect to the correct IP and Port of the stream (IE: http://1.1.1.1:8000). 

I could help with most of these issues (Done a whole lot of Internet radio in my time ^_^) - You're more than welcome to PM me for any help or if you have any questions!

I would also love to see these notes :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 11:29 AM »
I could help with most of these issues (Done a whole lot of Internet radio in my time ^_^) - You're more than welcome to PM me for any help or if you have any questions!

@Stephen - Be sure you let them know how much work it is to produce a talk show on a regular basis. It's a lot harder than it looks - and technology is the least of the headaches involved.

I've worked with at least six people who wanted to do a talk show/podcast. None of them made it past eight shows - with the average number being more around three.

Anybody who is interested in doing a podcast should try doing a regular 'non-stream of consciousness' blog or newsletter first to get some idea of what they're in for.

It's dangerous to generalize, but I think it's a safe bet to say if you don't have what it takes to keep a regularly scheduled blog or newsletter going, you're certainly not going to be able to muster the 'grunt' needed to do a podcast/show that will still be around 6 months later.

Just my 2¢

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 04:05 PM »
IMHO, this should be an 'as-and-when' project, as in....as and when we have time to get together and talk...opposed to the "This WILL be out at 19:00 every Monday" type thing.

Even when doing the radio shows, I had to heavily rely on Auto-DJ for those times when I was called away for unexpected reasons...or purely couldn't be bothered hosting that night.

Its a bloody good idea though, and I am sure a whole lot of people here would enjoy pitching in and listening to the talks :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00 PM »
IMHO, this should be an 'as-and-when' project, as in....as and when we have time to get together and talk...opposed to the "This WILL be out at 19:00 every Monday" type thing.

That could work for a more magazine type talk - like a special guest or somebody with a lot worth listening to. Software developers and engineering types come to mind. But it would have to be something a little deeper than a current events discussion since those need to happen in close proximity to the event in order to remain meaningful. More along the lines of a TED talk or a Charlie Rose interview than a morning with Howard Stern. (*gag*)

Its a bloody good idea though, and I am sure a whole lot of people here would enjoy pitching in and listening to the talks :)

Agree. I'm a big fan of podcasts and streams. As my eyes get weaker and more fatigue prone I find myself preferring to listen to things more and more. I also like being read to. Thank Buddha for audioboooks or I'd never get to "read" much fiction any more.
 :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 07:40 PM »
 ;D 'tis true, 40.

I'm probably not going to do more than 3 of these.  I'm really mostly trying to find an excuse to figure out this live talk show setup.  Not really sure what it would be used for at this point, but I love doing stuff like this and it always seems to come in handy in the future.  I love creating good content.

Here's the real thing: if I can get this setup working, that means I can very easily do some cool business conferencing in a way that is almost completely self-reliant.  No cloud services, just an ISP and a website host...pure freedom.  The other great feature of icecast and the setup I'm doing is that it doesn't need a special software for managing the radio stuff, like SAM.  Instead, it just takes ANY sound being played on my computer and that's it.  So I can use my favorite music player, my favorite chat service (skype), my favorite midi software.  I don't need to find an all in one software, and then realize it doesn't have midi features, so I have to now look for another one, etc.  The more easily we can do these kinds of things, the less we have to rely on these big companies that seem to be taking a lot of our money and not really being all that nice to their customers.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Do I get to see these notes? :P

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 01:56 PM »
* Stephen66515 guesses not :(

8)  :D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 02:45 PM »
*bump*

Dead project?  :(
No!  I still want to try it.  I'm not comfortable with my setup right now.  I've already purchased like $200 of stuff.  It's the website work that is the most difficult for me.  I don't know how to embed my icecast stream into a simple html page.

I already have some notes about you for talking points.  Hope you don't mind me nosing around!

Does it have to be Embedded? Why not convert the pod show into an Mp3? That's one form factor people will need anyway right? Then you just post it.

Meanwhile I'm about half way to being a good blogger, I struggle with being badly distractible. I have an amazing amount of "feeder" notes on my computer if someone wanted to be the "Polish & Publish" half. However I suspect that 50% of them would bore the audience with the esoteric nature. : (

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13 PM »
*bump*

Does it have to be Embedded? Why not convert the pod show into an Mp3? That's one form factor people will need anyway right? Then you just post it.

Meanwhile I'm about half way to being a good blogger, I struggle with being badly distractible. I have an amazing amount of "feeder" notes on my computer if someone wanted to be the "Polish & Publish" half. However I suspect that 50% of them would bore the audience with the esoteric nature. : (
Yes, I plan to make the mp3 available.  Part of this exercise is to try something new and try to push the limits of where we can take this technology.  I know I can do this in easier ways id necessary.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Any thoughts on a first recording date?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Any thoughts on a first recording date?
No sorry.   :-[
I still have a lot of setting up to do.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 06:24 PM »
No probs!

Will be here when your ready xD

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 04:15 AM »
BUMP! I want to see this happen!  :D

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 04:12 PM »
And I want to hear it happen :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 09:48 AM »

And:

@Stephen - Be sure you let them know how much work it is to produce a talk show on a regular basis. It's a lot harder than it looks - and technology is the least of the headaches involved.

I've worked with at least six people who wanted to do a talk show/podcast. None of them made it past eight shows - with the average number being more around three.

Anybody who is interested in doing a podcast should try doing a regular 'non-stream of consciousness' blog or newsletter first to get some idea of what they're in for.

It's dangerous to generalize, but I think it's a safe bet to say if you don't have what it takes to keep a regularly scheduled blog or newsletter going, you're certainly not going to be able to muster the 'grunt' needed to do a podcast/show that will still be around 6 months later.

Just my 2¢

+1 and another 2¢

Just to get an idea for how hard it is to pull off well, do one 5 minute show. Just a test. Just get the recording done for 2 people. Not 3. Just 2 people. Put it together. Listen to it. See what the quality it like. See how many "ums" and "ahs" there are, and then go back and clean up things. It is far more time consuming than most people think. Well, that is if you want to maintain a very high degree of quality. If you simply record and publish, it's much faster. However, you then have workflow issues that affect quality and may lead you back into doing post-production...

I took down The Dot Net Preacher Show (had 9 shows up and 3 shows backlogged that never made it up), but Andrew still has The Doc Report up:

http://thedocreport.com/

It only has 2 shows though. Still, the methodology used and the quality are the same for the DNP show.

Recording was done individually on each person's computer. Everyone then uploaded their audio files. I took them, normalized them, sync'd them, edited them for pauses, profanity, ums, ahs, extraneous content, etc. etc., and then added in the sound effects, intro, outro, etc. etc. Andrew then took my final file and edited that for content, snipping out parts, etc. etc.

It's not hard to spend 4~8 hours on 1 show just for post production.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 10:02 AM »
We are scheduled to have our First Annual DonationCoder Poker Tournament on August 11th, 2012.  Perhaps someone would be willing to record a post-game talk show where we could talk about it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 10:30 AM »
I'll update on what's happened.  First, when I made this post, I had some free time and things were going smooth.  Since then, everything's gotten super hectic.  But really, I also had some technical difficulties, maybe you guys can help me sort it out.

I can record an audio-only session successfully, I think.  I was using icecast and some kind of funky freeware server setup.  I've reinstalled windows, so I have to remember what my settings were (pita).  What I really wanted to do was have a full video conferencing things going, where I can have a couple of windows for the live video stream, but also be able to show what's going on on my monitor.  So I bought this screencamera.net software from here when it was on sale at bdj:
http://www.pcwinsoft...meranet/download.asp

This is a virtual driver that is supposed to be able to fool windows into being an actual webcam driver.  And you can put together a desktop as I described above: include the video stream, application windows, monitors, desktops...and you can lay them all out like in photoshop layers.  The problem is...the software sucks.  It's unsuable.  It's such a hack software.  Half of the functions don't work when clicked on.  It feels like an open-source program that's in the alpha stage.  I tried looking for alternatives, couldn't find any.

At work, I just started using Cisco Meetingplace, which works pretty well.  But it's a "corporate" solution, meaning it needs a corporate account and all that other needlessly expensive stuff.  I just need a virtual webcam driver that actually works well, or a video conferencing software that can also show desktops AND doesn't use the cloud.

But I can probably do a audio-only live recording using skype and icecast.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 07:48 PM »
It might be interesting to look at Jupiter Broadcasting's Coder Radio, Linux Action Show, and Tech Snap for some ideas of how this could work.

Multi-show co-host Chris Fisher is thinking about doing a pure audio show using an Airtime server to handle the automated broadcasting. Chris featured Airtime on a recent episode of the Linux Action Show. See it here.

airtime.pngWho's up for a DonationCoder talk show?

He also mentioned an rather amazing free audio app called Mixxx that provides some very cool dual-deck DJ-type mixing, and recording features that would make it a natural for an audio show. It  interfaces directly with a Shoutcast or Icecast stream servers too.

Pretty sexy looking too:

splash1.pngWho's up for a DonationCoder talk show?

I'm definitely gonna check the above out. (Oh bloody! That's one more project isn't it? ;D)

:Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Yes!  I'll check it out as well.  Actually, at one point I experimented the talk show thing with some dj tools like traktor, virtualdj, and another one.  What I found attractive was the flexible ways you could route the audio and control the volumes and stuff.

The other cool thing I actually do have working now is using the software Power Mixer in conjunction with my Peavey pc1600x midi controller, which is just a device with a lot of faders and buttons.  But I can control individual application volumes with the fader, which I thought would be helpful for a talk show.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Mixxx:
Boy, just the icecast feature is worth the "money" by itself if it works well.  The fact that there are pre-configured buttons and gui makes it unique.  As far as I know, there is only one other icecast software that has a gui, and even that took me a while to figure out what parameters go where.

Pretty sexy looking too:
Was that an intentional pun...miXXX?   ;D