topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox 7 is out  (Read 37000 times)

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 7 is out
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Hmmm...late yesterday I was unable to update.  I was told that 6.0.2 was the most recent version.  This morning, I'm able to update, but FF claims that the Linkman Fox extension won't work.  Though I suppose I could download the add-on Carol mentioned earlier and try to deal with the issue that way, I'm puzzled that Linkman Fox (the add-on for FF) supposedly doesn't work.  And I'm somewhat bothered that FF is making add-on developers jump through hoops every few weeks.

Mozilla has stopped auto-updating to v7 because of many problems with Addons. We have a working Linkman 8.30 Pro Beta. Final version will still take time.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 11:48 AM »
...We have a working Linkman 8.30 Pro Beta. Final version will still take time.
-Outertech Support (October 04, 2011, 11:33 AM)

At which point Firefox 9 or 10 will be out~! :P

(Sorry -- couldn't resist that.)

But seriously -- good luck! FF is just at breakneck speed right now. And I think most of the broken necks are users and third party developers~! :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Actually we have work-arounded the last problem some minutes ago and are preparing the final build. It supports Firefox 7 and Firefox 8 Beta.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Mozilla is looking into adding an updater service à la Google to silently update future versions..

http://www.maximumpc...tion_irritated_users

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Just tried v8 (Beta), 9 (Aurora) and 10 (Nightly).

Haven't found a single broken addon with either of these updates.
This is very disconcerting... had to check the about box to make sure I was actually running the updated versions.

FIREFOX.. Y U NO BREAK??  :'(

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 05:00 PM »
FIREFOX.. Y U NO BREAK??  :'(
MY FIREFOX! THE UPDATES DO NOTHING!
- carpe noctem

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Yes, I have FF v8 via the ß channel.
A very smooth implementation, but it did manage to break on one of the many add-ons that I have, and I had to find which one it was by disabling them all and then re-enabling them three at a time until it broke again.
It's running quite nicely, and faster too, without that add-on.
The updates seem to be so frequent now that I suspect the add-on developers cannot keep pace.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 12:30 AM »
<b>Linkman 8.30</b> with Firefox 7, and Firefox 8 Beta support has been released. Initial Windows 8 Alpha support is also available.

This version allows you also to optionally pass command line parameters to the various browsers. The help file has been improved and some minor glitches fixed.

http://www.outertech.com/en/download

Winkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox 8 is out
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2011, 02:32 PM »
Mozilla Firefox 8.0 is out

Update to version 8 automatically changed the theme to the Default 8.0 theme. (New update behavior?)
At first I didn't notice that myself, but my mum started yelling: "$#%@, where are the green back and forward buttons?" ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:32 PM by Winkie »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Their revision cycle is *really* fast now...

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 8 is out
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2011, 03:07 PM »
Here's from the what's New page on Mozilla:
and the link to the same page: Firefox 8 Release Notes

What’s New in Firefox

The latest version of Firefox has the following changes:

Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default
    Added a one-time add-on selection dialog to manage previously installed add-ons
    Added Twitter to the search bar for select locales. Additional locale support will be added in the future
    Added a preference to load tabs on demand, improving start-up time when windows are restored
    Improved performance and memory handling when using <audio> and <video> elements
    Added CORS support for cross-domain textures in WebGL
    Added support for HTML5 context menus
    Added support for insertAdjacentHTML
    Improved CSS hyphen support for many languages
    Improved WebSocket support
    Fixed several stability issues
    Fixed several security issues

Please see the complete list of changes in this version. Web and extension developers should also view the curated list of platform changes. You may also be interested in the list of changes in the previous version.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:09 PM by bob99, Reason: changed subject from Firefox 7 to 8 »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2011, 03:25 PM »
I confess that I'm totally mystified.  To my dismay, Firefox installed FF 8 in spite of my saying "ask me what to do."  I've now told FF not to check for updates to FF.  Perhaps that instruction too will be ignored.  If I were just a tad more skeptical, I'd assume that someone from Chrome or Opera got a job at Mozilla and set about undermining Firefox.  What else could explain actions such as the one I've just reported, as well as insane policies such as "Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default"?  I've never before been so tempted to switch to a different browser.   :mad:

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2011, 03:38 PM »
It asked me if I wanted to update - but stated that FF8 was an important security update - which makes you wonder ...

I don't really like Chrome too much but I am finding myself using it more and more because I can still use AdBlock Plus.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2011, 04:00 PM »
"Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default"

Actually, that seems one of the more rational approaches.  If some bundleware or malware installs something into Firefox, why not disable it?

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I've now told FF not to check for updates to FF.  Perhaps that instruction too will be ignored.

I also turned off the check for updates.  Fortunately it didn't auto-update on me.

I'm not too crazy for the "Check for Updates" in the Help/About window either.

Here's the initial screen:
FF5 1.pngFirefox 7 is out

Here's the screen after it checks for updates:
FF5 3.pngFirefox 7 is out

If a person is a bit quick on the draw with a click, are they applying the update before they know it?  :o

Does another screen come up asking for confirmation to apply the update?  Haven't tried it so I'm asking.
I'm used to, at least most, programs asking for a confirmation.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2011, 05:53 PM »

Actually, that seems one of the more rational approaches.  If some bundleware or malware installs something into Firefox, why not disable it?
Perhaps I've misunderstood what the statement means, but I took it to mean that third-party programs such as Linkman, LastPass, and Surfulater will have their Firefox add-ons disabled by default.  This seems to me outrageous and counterproductive.  I use Firefox rather than Opera in part because of third-party program add-ons that either do not exist for Opera or work better in Firefox.  Linkman and the like are not scummy malware programs--they're among the best programs of their kind that I know.  What is the point of disabling them by default?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2011, 07:51 PM »
If that is true it didn't happen on my computer - FF upgraded to version 8 and all the extensions are enabled. It may be because I have Mozilla's Addon Compatibility Reporter installed though.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2011, 07:58 PM »

Perhaps I've misunderstood what the statement means, but I took it to mean that third-party programs such as Linkman, LastPass, and Surfulater will have their Firefox add-ons disabled by default.  This seems to me outrageous and counterproductive.  I use Firefox rather than Opera in part because of third-party program add-ons that either do not exist for Opera or work better in Firefox.  Linkman and the like are not scummy malware programs--they're among the best programs of their kind that I know.  What is the point of disabling them by default?

What it took it as is anything that installs an extension from outside of the normal extension installation process would be disabled by default.  So if Linkman or 1Password or any of these other desktop applications install a firefox extension as part of the process, it will be disabled until you enable it.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2011, 08:06 PM »
. . . So if Linkman or 1Password or any of these other desktop applications install a firefox extension as part of the process, it will be disabled until you enable it.

Oh, I see.  If all I have to do is click "Enable," that's no big deal and does make a certain amount of sense from a security standpoint.  Thanks for the explanation.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 01:06 AM »
I've just swapped over to Pale Moon v7.01 - maybe it's just me but it does feel faster than Firefox.

The migration of settings was completely painless too, (it uses a separate program to copy them), everything was there when I fired it up.

header-big1.jpg

NOTE: This is not an ad - it just looks like it :P

Addendum: I just realised, (yeah, I'm a bit slow), Pale Moon adds an extension:

Pale Moon Status Bar - Which you can use to display the progress of page loads and downloads.  While not as fully featured as Download Statusbar, it's a lot less intrusive than the default Firefox item.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:34 PM by 4wd »