ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 7 is out

<< < (14/14)

cyberdiva:
"Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default"
-cyberdiva (November 09, 2011, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, that seems one of the more rational approaches.  If some bundleware or malware installs something into Firefox, why not disable it?
-wraith808 (November 09, 2011, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps I've misunderstood what the statement means, but I took it to mean that third-party programs such as Linkman, LastPass, and Surfulater will have their Firefox add-ons disabled by default.  This seems to me outrageous and counterproductive.  I use Firefox rather than Opera in part because of third-party program add-ons that either do not exist for Opera or work better in Firefox.  Linkman and the like are not scummy malware programs--they're among the best programs of their kind that I know.  What is the point of disabling them by default?

Carol Haynes:
If that is true it didn't happen on my computer - FF upgraded to version 8 and all the extensions are enabled. It may be because I have Mozilla's Addon Compatibility Reporter installed though.

wraith808:
"Add-ons installed by third party programs are now disabled by default"
-cyberdiva (November 09, 2011, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, that seems one of the more rational approaches.  If some bundleware or malware installs something into Firefox, why not disable it?
-wraith808 (November 09, 2011, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Perhaps I've misunderstood what the statement means, but I took it to mean that third-party programs such as Linkman, LastPass, and Surfulater will have their Firefox add-ons disabled by default.  This seems to me outrageous and counterproductive.  I use Firefox rather than Opera in part because of third-party program add-ons that either do not exist for Opera or work better in Firefox.  Linkman and the like are not scummy malware programs--they're among the best programs of their kind that I know.  What is the point of disabling them by default?
-cyberdiva (November 09, 2011, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

What it took it as is anything that installs an extension from outside of the normal extension installation process would be disabled by default.  So if Linkman or 1Password or any of these other desktop applications install a firefox extension as part of the process, it will be disabled until you enable it.

cyberdiva:
. . . So if Linkman or 1Password or any of these other desktop applications install a firefox extension as part of the process, it will be disabled until you enable it.
-wraith808 (November 09, 2011, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I see.  If all I have to do is click "Enable," that's no big deal and does make a certain amount of sense from a security standpoint.  Thanks for the explanation.

4wd:
I've just swapped over to Pale Moon v7.01 - maybe it's just me but it does feel faster than Firefox.

The migration of settings was completely painless too, (it uses a separate program to copy them), everything was there when I fired it up.

NOTE: This is not an ad - it just looks like it :P

Addendum: I just realised, (yeah, I'm a bit slow), Pale Moon adds an extension:

Pale Moon Status Bar - Which you can use to display the progress of page loads and downloads.  While not as fully featured as Download Statusbar, it's a lot less intrusive than the default Firefox item.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version