topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NAS Recommendations?  (Read 66242 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: NAS Recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 10:54 AM »
^Guess it depends on where you are.  I just bought a 1TB (not on sale) for $99 USD. Maybe not as cheap as the big drives. But not really all that much more expensive in total dollars either. I'd also rather have two or three smaller drives right now than one of those 3TB monsters for no other reason than not wanting too much kept in one basket. Even with RAID or good backups. at least not until some real-world long-term reliability stats become available.
 ;D

I want to stack the NAS with 4 drives and RAID, so if I can get better value for TB with 3.5, I'd lean that way. From the prices I've seen so far, 3.5 is way better. And 3 TB drives here are stupidly expensive. e.g. $50 for 1 TB, $100 for 2 TB, and $230 for 3 TB. Like WTF? I don't get that. I'm sure there's a reason, but I just don't know what it is...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 10:55 AM »
4 x 2TB 3.5" seems to the most cost-efficient configuration IMHO. RND4000 will not support 3TB drives atm.

NAS = $299
HDDs = 4 * $82 = $328

There you go a complete NAS for AUD $627.
-lotusrootstarch (October 06, 2011, 10:54 AM)

That was my initial thought before I posted. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
  • People reckon I'll smash into Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 11:07 AM »
a few things before I go:

1. This NAS is feature-rific and can be quite powerful
2. Onboard RAM can even be upgraded if you run a lot of stuff on the NAS
3. Make sure you have Gigabit network connectivity
4. Avoid Samsung drives at all costs, buy WD or Seagate
Get my apps in Android Market! Go droids go! :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 11:16 AM »
-lotusrootstarch (October 06, 2011, 11:07 AM)

curious: why that?
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Anybody got any thoughts on the non byod more commercial NAS products?  

Specifically:
http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=7152581 or
http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=5664929 or
http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=5394505 or
http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=5077998

Don't really care as long as it supports NFS... just tired of the DYI route right now and want a solution that comes with drives as long as it's not *too* much of a premium.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Anybody got any thoughts on the non byod more commercial NAS products? 

Specifically:
http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=7152581 or
http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=5664929 or
http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=5394505 or
http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=5077998

Don't really care as long as it supports NFS... just tired of the DYI route right now and want a solution that comes with drives as long as it's not *too* much of a premium.

Not sure. They're all below the storage that I need. (8 TB+) That puts them out of what I'd consider. I'm sure they have value for others though.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 11:37 AM »
If the storage was what you needed, do you think that you'd consider it?  I'm just trying to find out other than the price and space considerations, is there a reason that people wouldn't consider these types of drives that I don't know.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 12:18 PM »
If the storage was what you needed, do you think that you'd consider it?  I'm just trying to find out other than the price and space considerations, is there a reason that people wouldn't consider these types of drives that I don't know.

My main consideration is price per TB. I want to keep costs down as I have a wife to report to. :)  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 01:03 PM »
FWIW I've been a little leery of Netgear after several problems getting them to honor legitimate warranty claims, generally not very good experiences with their tech support, and numerous cases of "lost" rebate submissions.

Then there's product quality. I've experienced problems with every category of product I have ever bought from Netgear: switches, routers, NAS devices, and adapters. Which is a real shame because some of their product designs are extremely innovative.

My biggest problem is when you get the occasional lemon from them. Most times, their stuff runs reliably. But when there's a problem, getting a fix (or especially a replacement under warranty) is a royal pain.

My experience has taught me to view their products as disposables. Maybe they're that inexpensive up front for a reason? Because whenever a Netgear device breaks (and they do with regularity around the three or so year mark for me) I've learned your best bet is to just scrap them and get something else.

Maybe they've gotten better recently?

owjbanannapc.jpg
bpc02.jpg

-----

Note: I don't know much about the RND4000 since I've never worked with that particular unit. But I was not particularly wild about the software that shipped with the boxes I have worked with. There were some very clunky aspects to the implementation along with some maddening limitations and gotchas. To be fair, I know that's not something that's unique to Netgear. But I'd strongly suggest downloading a user manual if one is available before making a purchase. (Hmm...that's good pre-purchase advice for any device come to think of it. :mrgreen:)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:08 PM by 40hz »

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 04:57 PM »
I found RND4000 to be well designed and built, and delivers what I ask from it (storage size >= 8TB, SMB write speed >= 25MB/s, quiet operations).

For me it qualifies as a great NAS.

Read reviews from end-users here:
http://www.amazon.co...317937907&sr=8-1

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 05:36 PM »
I found RND4000 to be well designed and built, and delivers what I ask from it (storage size >= 8TB, SMB write speed >= 25MB/s, quiet operations).

For me it qualifies as a great NAS.

Read reviews from end-users here:
http://www.amazon.co...317937907&sr=8-1
-lotusrootstarch (October 06, 2011, 04:57 PM)

Hmm.. 28 out of 80 gave it 5 stars. 22 out of 80 gave it 1. So about 27%, (or a little better than 1 out of 4 buyers) weren't crazy about it. And the complaints all center around hardware failures or software/firmware issues right out of the box - along with complaints about horrendous tech support.

That maps out pretty much to what my experience with Netgear has been.

Again, if you don't have a serious problem right out of the box, or within three months, these gadgets plug along like little champs. It's when you get one of their clunkers that it becomes a headache to deal with.

My biggest complaint about Netgear is their support. I deal with networks and servers for a living. I don't expect a company to not make engineering mistakes. What I do expect is for them to take responsibility and make good on them when they do.

I don't feel Netgear has that ethic.

Just my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 08:07 PM »
As for stores:

MSY, CentreCom, CPL, UMart (order online for pickup), ScorpTec, Landmark Computers (for limited things if I happen to be in the area) and the stores within 100m of MSY (as lotus said).

Online (not the cheapest but I've used but have had zero problems): Stone Computers, Maco Technology (very good), PC Case Gear and Warcom.

Attached is a list of stores I keep handy.

DSE I use for nothing but the electronic components I can't get at JayCar.  JB HiFi are good for some things, (just got a WD TV Live from them but only because I had a gift card and couldn't find anything else to buy).

Re. UMart' website: yes, it does look like you did it, (  ;D ), but I've ordered things and specified pickup, they'll confirm stock and send an email when it's ready, I replied and said I'd send somebody to pick it up, (my sister who works near them), zero problems.

As for StaticIce -- first I've heard of it. I'll have a look...

Oh ye of short term memory loss.....why did I bother replying  :P

Samsung Tablet thread

FYI (doesn't stop me from shopping there still):
I really don't know many stores around either. Everyone I've talked to says MSY is the best by far. (Just reporting -- I really don't know.)

Computer company fined $200,000
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:48 AM by 4wd, Reason: Added FYI. Updated PC.7z 20111008. »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 08:31 PM »
-lotusrootstarch (October 06, 2011, 11:07 AM)

curious: why that?

Having just had a Samsung HD154UI 1.5TB, (that was 99% full), die due to head failure for no external mechanical reason within 3 months, (YouTube example)....I agree with him.
This seems to be a reasonably common problem among Samsung, enough to put me off them at least, AFAIAC.

I'm sticking to WD, (except their 3TB), for now....every single one of them I've ever bought is still working.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:23 PM by 4wd »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 10:22 PM »
As for stores:

MSY, CentreCom, CPL, UMart (order online for pickup), ScorpTec, Landmark Computers (for limited things if I happen to be in the area) and the stores within 100m of MSY (as lotus said).

Online (not the cheapest but I've used and had zero problems): Stone Computers, Maco Technology (very good), PC Case Gear and Warcom.

Attached is a list of stores I keep handy.

DSE I use for nothing but the electronic components I can't get at JayCar.  JB HiFi are good for some things, (just got a WD TV Live from them but only because I had a gift card and couldn't find anything else to buy).

As for StaticIce -- first I've heard of it. I'll have a look...

Oh ye of short term memory loss.....why did I bother replying  :P

Samsung Tablet thread

FYI (doesn't stop me from shopping there still):
I really don't know many stores around either. Everyone I've talked to says MSY is the best by far. (Just reporting -- I really don't know.)

Computer company fined $200,000

Thanks for that list!

I'd completely forgotten about that StaticIce link you'd posted before. When I'd initially looked at it, and clicked through to some sites, they simply scared me off.

When MSY was recommended to me, I had already seen their site (they have a new and improved one since then, not that it really is much of an improvement though). I told my friend that he had to be joking as MSY's site was simply so horribly, horribly bad. e.g. Product lists in PDFs and not much more. They've since fixed that. He insisted that they're the best place to go, and a few other people confirmed it. Their cafeteria-style shops seemed a tad odd the first time I went in, but I've bought a truckload of stuff there and certainly saved over the few other stores that I'm familiar with here. (I probably know Georgetown better than I know Melbourne.)

I get skittish pretty easily. When I have to click around to find contact info, or have a hard time trying to find basic information, or it's buried in a huge long page that should all fit above the fold... I tend to run.

I didn't know that MSY was fined though. I suppose that explains the mats they have at their checkouts with consumer rights listed. :) (That seems to be pretty popular in a lot of stores though... Which used to kind of freak me out a bit...)

As for the 4000 unit, I think that was actually designed by another company that Netgear bought... Could be wrong... I thought I read something about that...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 10:26 PM »
I updated my post with a little UMart info since just before your reply.

Re. UMart' website: yes, it does look like you did it, (  ;D ), but I've ordered things and specified pickup, they'll confirm stock and send an email when it's ready, I replied and said I'd send somebody to pick it up, (my sister who works near them), zero problems.

BTW, the list of stores is nowhere near conclusive nor are many of them even the cheapest but it's handy when I'm checking out who's got what and how much.

I'll always check StaticIce first but there are stores on there I won't go near purely because their P&P is ridiculously overpriced, (UMart could fall into this category but I only ever use them for pickup).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:32 PM by 4wd »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 10:35 PM »
Re. UMart' website: yes, it does look like you did it, (  ;D )

Hehehe~! ;D

I've done some spectacularly beautiful sites in the past, but all the design was done for me. I just had to cut up things in Photoshop and code it all. It's when I start from scratch that things begin to slowly degenerate into a chaotic mess that will make your eyes bleed.

I updated my post with a little UMart info since just before your reply.

Re. UMart' website: yes, it does look like you did it, (  ;D ), but I've ordered things and specified pickup, they'll confirm stock and send an email when it's ready, I replied and said I'd send somebody to pick it up, (my sister who works near them), zero problems.

Sounds good. Thanks for letting me know. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Their cafeteria-style shops seemed a tad odd the first time I went in, but I've bought a truckload of stuff there and certainly saved over the few other stores that I'm familiar with here. (I probably know Georgetown better than I know Melbourne.)

Their Mitcham store is better, they have shelves/tables with the equipment, (MB, case, router, etc), stacked on so you can pick and choose, (not the RAM/CPU/SSD/HDD though).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Their cafeteria-style shops seemed a tad odd the first time I went in, but I've bought a truckload of stuff there and certainly saved over the few other stores that I'm familiar with here. (I probably know Georgetown better than I know Melbourne.)

Their Mitcham store is better, they have shelves/tables with the equipment, (MB, case, router, etc), stacked on so you can pick and choose, (not the RAM/CPU/SSD/HDD though).

So you can effectively browse the store?

That would be cool. Sometimes I really want to SEE model A, B, and C before I buy something.

Looks like it's about as far as the Clayton store from me as well... Not too bad.

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 10:55 PM »

I went to Mitcham branch and bought the last two RND4000 there last Sunday.

Not all branches maintain stock for 4-bay NAS, so ring them up before you get there.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 11:06 PM »

So you can effectively browse the store?

Think Cash & Carry - almost all of the stuff is in its original box but at least you can touch the box :)

Still a looonnngggg way from the likes of DSE where you can fondle the naked merchandise....besides that, lotus nicked all the NASs.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 10:14 AM »
(un-hijacking the conversation)

Coincidentally, I was just looking for NASes myself, and just purchased one. My requirements are different from yours, so you probably won't follow my strategy, but maybe somebody else is interested.

I currently have a D-Link DNS-321 with two 1TB drives arranged in a RAID 1 array, but I've recently outgrown this. Photos really pile up quickly, using up what space I had remaining from media storage.

In the interest of not going broke, I don't want to spend money on RAID-capable hardware and extra drives. Nor do I want to spend money on all the capacity that I think I *might* eventually need, when the price of computer hardware is continually dropping.

So my strategy is to buy another NAS device, this one budget-priced, onto which I can move the real space hogs, the video files (I've got the originals on DVD for the most part, so RAID safety isn't an issue). I'll keep the photos, which are irreplaceable, on the original D-Link NAS with RAID.

I just purchased a Seagate BlackArmor NAS 110, with 3TB of capacity, plus the eventual ability to add more via USB (although that would be slower). Total price from Amazon, $200.

(Disclaimer: The link above is to my employer's web site. I don't expect you to go buy it from there, but this gives a bit of Google Juice.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2011, 11:44 AM »
FWIW, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced I'd want to build my own.

BTW; those 2.5" multi-drive bays I mentioned before are made by IcyDock.

The only potential problem you'll run into using any swappable cages (no matter who makes them) is if your case has a "tool-less" or "no screw" drive mounting arrangement. That could either be detachable rails or rail guides on the main card cage. (Usually they also come with some sort of pressure locking mechanism.) These usually won't work with swap cages because they tend to bind or bend the receiver. Old-fashioned open case drive cages where it's just a box with holes for mounting screws (with no tabs or guides) work best. Otherwise it's "haul out the Dremel tool" case mod time.
 :tellme:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:00 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2011, 02:11 PM »
I just purchased a Seagate BlackArmor NAS 110, with 3TB of capacity, plus the eventual ability to add more via USB (although that would be slower). Total price from Amazon, $200.

Thanks!  This was exactly what I was looking for...and 3TB for $200 is nothing to sneeze at.  I see that the DLNA is only compatible with wmv/avi... not exactly what I was getting it for, but that is a point that I figured I'd add.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2011, 02:18 PM »
DLNA is only compatible with wmv/avi...

I saw that comment as well, and it confuses me. I don't understand why the server should care what the format is. It seems to me that the media is just a blob that gets streamed, and its actual content is irrelevant. Is it a question of *scanning* the media, so the server can build a catalog of what's on the box?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29 PM »
DLNA is only compatible with wmv/avi...

I saw that comment as well, and it confuses me. I don't understand why the server should care what the format is. It seems to me that the media is just a blob that gets streamed, and its actual content is irrelevant. Is it a question of *scanning* the media, so the server can build a catalog of what's on the box?

Apparently not.  Look at this link, specifically required vs. optional formats.  From what I understand, it decodes and encodes on the fly... and so the format to be stored must be either natively supported by the server and the receiver, or encoded/decoded to one of the standard formats.