topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 8 Fast boot time ? Check this out...  (Read 23648 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 8 Fast boot time ? Check this out...
« on: September 12, 2011, 12:16 PM »
I'm not into fast boot time craziness -- I almost always hibernate or go into sleep mode.
However, this is fast.
The statistics and explanations are interesting too.

Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8

And here's the direct link to the little demo

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 8 Fast boot time ? Check this out...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:37 PM »
-awesome!

I have never even tried to hibernate my PC - I always close/reboot - so this is fantastic to me.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:57 PM »
That is bad ass!  That's what I'm talking about!  Cmon Windows...do me right on the tablet stuff.  Man, a windows tablet hooked up to my desktop headquarters would give me all sorts of cool ideas.  It's all about unfettered access to files and folders.  That's what it all comes down to for me.  I'll take any OS that is designed for that.  It's how I would break down my complaint about Apple if I had to do it in one sentance.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I have never even tried to hibernate my PC - I always close/reboot - so this is fantastic to me.

Me neither, always shutdown.

It's all about unfettered access to files and folders.  That's what it all comes down to for me.

Isn't that quiet simply every single device except Apple's? It's certainly nothing new.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 06:50 PM »
It's great if you have 2gigs of RAM... it's OK if you've got 4... above that, hibernation starts taking a bit too much time for my liking.

But on a developer laptop running heavy cra stuff like Day Adobe CQ5, the accompanying CRXDE "lite", a zillion chrome tabs, a few firefox and IE windows, a bunch of console windows, text editors, and... all that jazz... well, trust me, hibernation is a love affair. About a minute to boot into a fully-working desktop, or ~15min to start up all the crap from a cold boot? Geeh, let me see... :P

The win8 "hibernate just the core" idea seems interesting, but dunno how much it's going to matter - the Windows boot sequence doesn't seem to take a lot of time compared to POST and post-boot-load-all-the-startup-crap on most systems I've dealt with.
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I'm a hibernate/sleep addict too. However. yes, it really boils down to ones "work system".

I can't see myself re-opening all those windows, tabs, etc. every morning anymore... I would if I didn't have the choice, but... I do. :)

Still, the fact that MS polishes the boot/shut down process is good. There's always a time where you need to reboot/shutdown and want it to be as fast as possible!

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:10 PM »
It's great if you have 2gigs of RAM... it's OK if you've got 4... above that, hibernation starts taking a bit too much time for my liking.

True. I don't have one of these super solid state Drives, but it might be better with those.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:51 PM »
Impressive!

I only reboot on my desktop, but I only use hibernate on my laptop.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 04:23 AM »
With 16Gb of RAM I don't often hibernate (it is usually quicker to shutdown/start normally

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:24 AM »
Oh god... I just watched the video... It booted up in 7 seconds. Impressive!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:23 AM »
Just looking at the video is very impressive but every version of Windows since XP has been hailed as fast booting (and a Win 7 fresh install that has been fully optimised is pretty quick, plus you can starting using it before the boot process completes).

Trouble is that in the real world these speeds are never maintained beyond the first few days of use without regular maintenance - which windows is terrible at in automatic mode.

Also it isn't clear if anything is actually ready to use - it is dead easy to load a start page quickly (Especially if it was cached before the system shutdown) - it is entirely different to be able to do something useful at that point! I don't know about other systems but I can't get on the internet at that point simply because it takes longer to connect to the router (assuming the interface is even ready to use at that point).

MS have always been a company that likes smoke and mirrors - and way early pre-release software has a habit of going through numerous processes that remove the full potential of these early promos.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 06:41 AM »
7 seconds? Damn. I might consider rebooting more often then (or not). I only reboot every few (3 - 6) months for Win updates depending on how critical what patch is. Hell I've only shutdown my main comp about 4 times since I built it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 06:47 AM »
7 seconds? Damn. I might consider rebooting more often then (or not). I only reboot every few (3 - 6) months for Win updates depending on how critical what patch is. Hell I've only shutdown my main comp about 4 times since I built it.

Unfortunately, I "reboot" much more often than that thanks to wonderful video drivers. a.k.a. BSOD. Grrr...  :mad:

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 07:14 AM »
Meh... I really don't understand why the entire Internet seems to be fawning over this demo.

It's great that booting Windows may be quicker, but this doesn't seem like much of an improvement over current competition.

I have a Samsung Series 5 Chromebook, it boots in less than 10 seconds from cold.
My MacBook Pro with SSD boots quick enough as well - I've never bothered to time it but I'm always surprised by how quick it seems.

They also both have incredibly low powered sleep states which they can remain in for days without killing the battery and wake from instantaneously (at least to me).  This renders the longer cold boot times moot.

Again, it's fantastic seeing Windows boot up as quickly - though until our IT gives us anything other than XP and trims their 20 minutes of drive decrypting, start-up scripts, and updating I'm not sure I care.

But my biggest complaint is the video itself... It's a worthless demonstration.
We have no idea what the machine's specs are; they strongly imply it's SSD but no other info.
Taking out one battery proves nothing.
Not showing us the shutdown sequence means we don't know whether the laptop is actually booting up fresh or waking from hibernation. For all we know it's a virtual machine!

I watch that and cannot believe they'd waste time filming something so pointless...
And why the heck doesn't Microsoft have any tables?!?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Carol put it in context. They can make it boot instantly but if it's still going take another five minutes for the background tasks to load in, then so what.

The primary reason I've soiled myself with this iPad is because it's instant on AND instant wi-fi connected. Windows needs something similar, just the essentials on and ready instantly - the non essential stuff loading in whilst you've already opened your browser and getting on with stuff.

Maybe that's what win8 does?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 01:44 PM »
Unfortunately, I "reboot" much more often than that thanks to wonderful video drivers. a.k.a. BSOD. Grrr...  :mad:
Still stuck on XP, you poor soul?
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 03:03 PM »
I don't think the appeal is about the boot times specifically.  I think the appeal is that it's a WINDOWS system with a fast boot time.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
so who is downloading Windows 8 Developer Preview?
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 02:28 AM »
so who is downloading Windows 8 Developer Preview to test out this claim? ;) we need some volunteers..

firefox_14_09_11_001_thumb.png
http://dev.windows.com/

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Seems like such an early build, pre-beta. Still, Peter Bright seems pretty enthusiastic about it in Hands-on with Windows 8: A PC operating system for the tablet age

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Still stuck on XP, you poor soul?

Dunno if Renegade is, but I am !  :)
Just don't have the courage to move to win 7 (maybe will it be Win 8 for that matter...) before I buy a new laptop. Trying to use my energy and time efficiently and win XP does the job -- there's nothing for me in Win 7 that's radically different and a significant upgrade in terms of user experience, stability, ease of use, etc. It would be different if I had to buy a new laptop tomorrow. But then, maybe would I be tempted to wait for win 8... Nah.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 01:50 PM »
And why the heck doesn't Microsoft have any tables?!?

-because it's a laptop, not a desktop!  ::)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 04:51 AM »
These days apple fanbois are getting so much P$%%^d off at windows for nothing. They think making separate OS for tablet and desktop is wrong move. They're also taking shot at short boot time. I mean for what ? you left windows right ?  :D Sour grapes. Atleast windows tablet will support flash, multi-tasking and many other features that apple failed to do so. This shout goes to you Mr.chris pirilio for making pro-apple comments without realizing the expensive hoopla behind it.  :P

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Wondering why Windows 8 will be more 'snappier' than all versions of Windows before it?

Win8-Metro-history-WinUI.jpg

Taken from:
http://blog.webwerel...ro-history-WinUI.jpg

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 05:06 PM »
@shades: good point. But tiling WM have had a resurgence on linux land too. I much prefer it over floating windows.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Tiles are for tablets,they have both tiles and old desktop interface for laptops and desktops.