topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Complaint about Bartels Media \ the PhraseExpress people  (Read 29966 times)

ggamer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello everyone, long time lurker here who's enjoyed reading your posts for a while now. I haven't visited in a few weeks but upon returning today I came across this thread and, after keeping my mouth shut in the past, felt I had to finally had to register an account and say something.

The users Mattphoes (the OP of the thread I linked to), Merida, and BartelsMedia \ PhraseExpress \ Michael are all the same person. Just skim over a few of each of their posts and it's pretty clear. All three users:

1. Made a post about PhraseExpress immediately after registering, and then all but BartelsMedia disappeared just days afterwards.

2. Make ample use of bold and italicized text.

3. Are quite rude, obnoxious, and snarky.

4. Really, really love and defend PhraseExpres with an odd fervor that you would expect from the parent of a child, and not from a legitimate, non-affiliated user of a piece of software.

5. Seem to enjoy trashing software that competes with PhraseExpress as evidenced by remarks like "slow", "buggy", "copycat", "stealing", "shipwrecks", "idiot", "vomit" et cetera when talking about a competing program, all while going on and on about how "awesome" PhraseExpress is.

6. English seems to be a secondary language for all three users.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that all three "different" users are the same person, even though they claim otherwise. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this either, as you can see by reading some of the relevant threads.

I find this behavior disgusting and deplorable, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more accounts here controlled and operated by Bartels Media. While I know it's unlikely, I sincerely hope that the moderators consider banning them. Enough is enough, and by letting this behavior continue I think we're rewarding it when we shouldn't be.

tl;dr; the PhraseExpress people are rude, obnoxious, and the company uses low, dirty, and often "anonymous" tactics not only here but apparently elsewhere as well (Google is your friend) to attempt to damage the reputation of their competitors while at the same time promoting their own product as a perfect, amazing, fantastically awesome and superior alternative.

Even that were true and I were in the market for this type of software, you couldn't pay me to do business with these people.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Complaint about Bartels Media \ the PhraseExpress people
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:58 AM »
I know, that I violate a golden internet forum rule now and I am sorry to ruin your "investigations" so quickly:

Mattphoes, Merida, and BartelsMedia PhraseExpress Michael are all the same person.

Do you really believe, that I am that schizophrenic to even mail between "my own" accounts?

Make ample use of bold and italicized text.

This must not be. Boy, we patented it!

English seems to be a secondary language for all three users.

I apologize in the name of hundreds of Indian, Italian and French forum participators for the lack of our English skills as it is not our native language. Perhaps you can help us to improve our English if you wish to contribute something actually useful.

Look, all we do for the last 13 years is to develop software. And yes, we are obsessive. We are obsessed in a hopefully positive way to provide quality software and quality technical support.

We are very thankful that our wholehearted obsession led to a quite successful product. We are genuinly thankful every single day, that PhraseExpress is used by many hundred-thousands of happy users today.

However, we had to learn, that such success also attracts individuals that are not that happy about our success for any reason, agenda or motivation.

Of course, we do make mistakes. If users post constructive feedback, we really try to improve our offerings, to help or to clarify. You can see that here, at Twitter, or anywhere else where Google Alert points me to. Including your posting.

When PhraseExpress started to enter the download charts, the increasing level of aggression by a few users really shocked us at first. Especially, as such aggressive bashing surprisingly always seem to come from users of our free version. Get that: We give away our hard-work for free and what do we get? Ranting and bad-mouthing by a few users.

We were very confused about this bizarre development at first. You contribute to the community and you get nasty slaps in the face. That really hurt.

So, even as you are a anonymous troll, you reached your goal, and successfully hurt us. We feel sad about such postings.

Now, as you seem to be an established DC member, would you please tell us the reason why you don't post with your real DC account but use a dummy account for that? Is it, because you are a jealous competitor or is it, because you know that your posting is not true and you don't want to harm your real account's reputation?

And as you seem to be very alert about our product for whatever interesting reason and as you obviously invested so much time in your very elaborated research, please tell us about your motivation (as in "Qui Bono?") why you try to hurt us in such sophisticated way?

Something really bad must happened to you and if there is anything, we could fix, we would be more than happy to do that.
Michael
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:58 AM by BartelsMedia, Reason: Tpyos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:10 AM »
The first poster made a lot of assumptions, using circumstantial evidence (I wouldnt want to be on trial with them as the judge...)

But if you re-read their post you will see that this is an assumption as well:-

Now, as you seem to be an established DC member, would you please tell us the reason why you don't post with your real DC account but use a dummy account for that? Is it, because you are a jealous competitor or is it, because you know that your posting is not true and you don't want to harm your real account's reputation?
-BartelsMedia (April 20, 2011, 03:58 AM)
Tom

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:38 AM »
But if you re-read their post you will see that this is an assumption as well.

No, I see questions.

--

The next logical step will be a post by the troll's original DC account to support the troll and we are in the game.

Ironically, exactly that sort of game, the troll is accusing us to play.

Good bye for this thread. We are there to help with any PhraseExpress related questions but it is pointless to "discuss" with an anonymous troll.

Here is the fish for "ggamer": ><((((º>
Michael
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:52 AM by BartelsMedia »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Am I the only person having a problem with the way BartlesMedia responded in this thread? :nono2:

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14 AM »
-BartelsMedia (April 20, 2011, 06:38 AM)
1) attaching images to your post instead of using external image hosting service is smarter.
2) it would be more beneficial to post the join date of ggamer, post date + count doesn't really say anything when the guy admits being a long-time lurker. Join date is 19.Apr.2011, though, so it would've been anonymous lurking.

Am I the only person having a problem with the way BartlesMedia responded in this thread? :nono2:
No, but they're always acting like that. Enough reason that I wouldn't even consider using their software, tbh :)
- carpe noctem

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:36 AM »
Hello everyone, long time lurker here who's enjoyed reading your posts for a while now. I haven't visited in a few weeks but upon returning today I came across this thread and, after keeping my mouth shut in the past, felt I had to finally had to register an account and say something.

Is it just me, or does the above quote basically say "I have NEVER had an account here, but in order to make my claims, I have had to register"

-BartelsMedia (April 20, 2011, 06:38 AM)
1) attaching images to your post instead of using external image hosting service is smarter.
2) it would be more beneficial to post the join date of ggamer, post date + count doesn't really say anything when the guy admits being a long-time lurker. Join date is 19.Apr.2011, though, so it would've been anonymous lurking.

No, but they're always acting like that. Enough reason that I wouldn't even consider using their software, tbh :)

I appreciate a company being open to the public, but BartelsMedia (Still sounds way to close to CartelsMedia for me to trust very much  :huh:) take "Responding to public opinion" too far.  Having alerts setup to tell you every little thing said about your software seems very very paranoid to me. 

Imagine if Apple, or Microsoft took the same stance...this forum would have hundreds of thousands of posts from both companies regarding every little thing said about a piece of software made for their OS, or every single thing said relating even remotely to their company.

Its over the top, its not required, and in fact, its losing PhaseExpress business.

Look at how many people here on DC alone refuse to even TRY the product due to BartelsMedia's tactics...

Doesn't take a genius to figure out what they need to do to, to boost sales...

The Key To PhaseExpress's Success
Stop being trolls, stfu, and concentrate on building a better product instead of constantly replying to every tiny thing said about you...its not big...its not clever...its just annoying and has turned away a whole lot of people, who otherwise may have purchased

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I appreciate a company being open to the public, but BartelsMedia (Still sounds way to close to CartelsMedia for me to trust very much  :huh:) take "Responding to public opinion" too far.  Having alerts setup to tell you every little thing said about your software seems very very paranoid to me.
-Stephen66515 (April 20, 2011, 08:36 AM)
It makes a lot of sense, especially for smaller software outfits, to monitor the net 'aggressively' for stuff about their product(s)... problems arise when responding aggressively.
- carpe noctem

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Enough reason that I wouldn't even consider using their software, tbh

This is a real pity, as your contribution is actually the best example why you in particular could benefit the most in PhraseExpress: http://screencast.com/t/ABMKiWRbOyVe

You could efficiently simplify posting your repetitive opinion over and over again. A great time saver.
Michael
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:20 AM by BartelsMedia »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Enough reason that I wouldn't even consider using their software, tbh

This is a real pity, as your contribution is actually the best example why you in particular could benefit the most in PhraseExpress: http://screencast.com/t/ABMKiWRbOyVe

You could efficiently simplify posting your repetitive opinion over and over again. A great time saver.
-BartelsMedia (April 20, 2011, 08:50 AM)
At least you have a sense of humor ;)
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:18 AM »
I don't see what's wrong with BartelsMedia's posts. ggamer came off in a frothing rage with post #1, and BartelsMedia responded. 1 post? Seriously? I have a hard time figuring that one as not being a pure grudge. Notice no other posts from ggamer... Hmmm...

Maybe I'm missing something...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:21 AM »
At least you have a sense of humor

Of course, I thought it would be the other way. Some folks look so grumpy here at DC.

Boys, we have been severely accused and offended by this troll and you expect us to ignore that? Sorry, but this is quite difficult, especially as it was so easy to pull the plug out of his pointless arguments.
Michael
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:26 AM by BartelsMedia »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:36 AM »
I wish someone starts open source project of this patented phrase express software soon.   :Thmbsup:

This must be the first developer in my observation who is defending or responding so aggressively to get the word out for his software.   :down:  

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:41 AM »
This must be the first developer in my observation who is defending or responding so aggressively to get the word out for his software.   :down:  

Have you actually read the original posting at all? It's sole intention was to badmouth our company.

You can be lucky that it never happened to you but wouldn't you defend yourself as well if you would find such false public accusations about you?
Michael
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:46 AM by BartelsMedia »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 09:48 AM »
At least you have a sense of humor

Of course, I thought it would be the other way. Some folks look so grumpy here at DC.

Boys, we have been severely accused and offended by this troll and you expect us to ignore that? Sorry, but this is quite difficult, especially as it was so easy to pull the plug out of his pointless arguments.
-BartelsMedia (April 20, 2011, 09:21 AM)

The first post is pretty foolish imo (I'd be happy to see it removed - a first post like that is not on, imo)

But,
if you respond like this (conspiracy theories, personal atrtacks), you are only fulfilling all the negative descriptions of the OP . . .
Tom

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 09:55 AM »
But,
if you respond like this (conspiracy theories, personal atrtacks), you are only fulfilling all the negative descriptions of the OP . . .

Conspiracy theory? Personal attacks? Who could I attack if the original is nothing but an anonymous troll who is gone already? You must be kidding.

It is awesome to see the outcome here. Trolls always win. Especially at DC. :-)
Michael

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Have you actually read the original posting at all? It's sole intention was to badmouth our company.
If i remember correctly then i've followed many threads related to bartles media/phrase express.

You can be lucky that it never happened to you but wouldn't you defend yourself as well if you would find such false public accusations about you?
I prefer to respond to accusations made in court case or anything within the windows of law. I don't care what other bloggers/forum members are posting against me or my work. They've freedom of speech and they can do whatever they want with it. There are countless threads on the internet making fun of lady gaga (calling her shemale) or ridiculing some software/blogger/person, i don't see them defending personally by jumping in public forums. I guess those who do that have plenty of time in their hands or taking public forum rants too seriously.

Remember stuff like 'phraseexpress sucks' or 'dreamhost sucks' or hostgator suckss' used to work earlier in google but now people are aware of such rant pages and it hardly hurts reputation of any company. e.g. There are thousands of rant pages against paypal, still it is alive and kicking. It's your choice to either concentrate on software development or to chase un-satisfied customer to save your reputation by rhetoric replies on their threads. Just saying. Have fun with the rest of the thread.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33 AM »
There are countless threads on the internet making fun of lady gaga

There is a difference between ridiculing vs. making bold and false claims with the intention to harm one's business. Be lucky that you don't have to deal with it.

concentrate on software development

It is awesome to see that many of you are caring about the PhraseExpress development. I gladly confirm, that PhraseExpress is continuously improved right now. We also have very exciting new features to come.

If you have any feature suggestions, please do not hesitate to tell.

By the way, just to make clear if you are afraid: I personally am not member of the development team. I am not that smart but happy to tell you, that my sole task is to serve you if you have any question about PhraseExpress.

You can rest assured, that PhraseExpress development is well alive and not interrupted the slightes bit because of this thread here.
Michael

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 10:40 AM »

No.  Not at all.  But it was not at all unexpected.  Just let it drop... lock the thread.  He does business how he does business, and the less discussion on that point the better, IMO.  Everyone has opinions and mine on the subject are well known (as well as my ... experiences with the overzealous representative) ... but in the end it's not worth the time, and I'd rather have productive conversations with people over productive issues, and not waste DoCo resources on this discussion. (which says a lot given my penchant for discussions LOL)

duty_calls.png
courtesy of xkcd

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Ah, WRAITH! I seriously wondered that you haven't shown up yet to "waste your resources on this discussion".

It was only a question of time but you never fail to deliver, do you?  :-*
Michael

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:51 AM »
^ I'm always here.  While you... appear.  Let the differences speak for themselves.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Finally, I have at least one fan! :-*
Michael

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Perhaps companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Paypal can afford to ignore attacks because of their size.  For all the complaining people do about each of them, they still make millions.  For someone like Lady GaGa, the "negative" press is actually positive in that a celebrity exists because of publicity (- or +).

For a smaller company like the one that develops PhraseExpress, these kinds of attacks can be much more damaging.

Does that mean that I am 100% comfortable with the tone of BartlesMedia's posts here on DC and other forums?  No, it does not.  When PE was on BitsDuJour recently, I immediately thought of his posts here and that did make me hesitate when it came to buying the software.  By the end of the day, however, I decided that the software fulfilled my needs better than the other options out there so I made the purchase.  I do think there are better ways to handle one's public image, but I don't fault him for wanting to respond to attacks like the original post in this thread.

Also, and please do not take this the wrong way, I wonder if the oddities in tone, humor, and how BartlesMedia "does business" is, at least somewhat, a product of English not being his first language.  I say this because I have worked with many such individuals who's writing has similar issues.  As a teacher, I can attest that tone is difficult for many native speakers to master, let alone non-native speakers.

Disclaimer
The above post expresses my personal opinion and is in no way intended to reflect the opinion of DonationCoder.com, its members, or its staff.  I am not affiliated with the software in question, other than being a licensed user.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 11:53 AM »
What I wonder that some visitors here debate my tone in great extend while having any slightest problem with the tone/accusations of the original poster at all. Stunning!

And yes, I am not a native speaker and I start to believe that my words seem to have a different meaning than intended. For example, I wonder, why some value my first response as "aggressive"?! Of course, I clearly refused the original poster's claims and it seems to be too obvious that he is a troll but is it really considered aggressive in "your" culture to say it?
Michael

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 12:40 PM »
We've seen a complaint and a rebuttal, not for the first time.

Surely that is enough.

My vote is to avoid responding further in this topic before it beomes something with which the community at DC becomes uncomfortable.
Spats are not our way.

For myself, I choose to ignore this topic from now on.