topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Downloadsquad shutting down - Another one bites the dust  (Read 25376 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Downloadsquad shutting down - Another one bites the dust
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 04:28 PM »
I agree this is nuts, Download Squad was one of my favorite tech reads. It is infinitely more valuable than the online tabloid they bought. Will Gizmodo, the hardware equivalent of Download Squad in some ways and also an AOL property, be next?

PuffHo having a tech section -- now that's a scary thought.

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I wish them the best- but their narrowed focus unfortunately means I won't have as much of a reason to keep track of them.

I agree.  I'll still read it, but I wish they hadn't restricted their topic to browsers.  If we're lucky, the change is in name only and they'll continue writing about the same topics.
No such luck. They're saying they want to write about browswers.

I miss the DS site. It was one my a.m. coffee stop offs. Because I like to read about shareware, my list grows shorter and shorter.  While everyone else is moving to the cloud, I am spending less and less time on the internet. Hmmm.   

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 12:01 AM »
While everyone else is moving to the cloud, I am spending less and less time on the internet. Hmmm.   

You don't like people with their heads in the clouds? ;)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

brotman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Hey Guyz,

What's with all the whining and resignation to the demise of a favorite site :tellme:??  Let's Do something: write your congressional representatives ;), the president :o, or even better let's start an email campaign to let them know our dismay.  :( > :( May not help but it couldn't hurt. Now, anyone have a suitable destination (e.g. at huffington post for our emails to be sent???  They may not realize that they're making a mistake.  This is the new electronic democracy of the internet!!    Raise your voices!

Best regards,
Chuck
Chuck Brotman

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Something seems obvious to me now, reflecting on this "news."

In this day and age, when site domain recognition and visitor count is *EVERYTHING*, and when transfering management of a domain name is trivial (unlike trying to transfer physical ownership of a store), im not sure we have EVER seen a case where a popular site has simply "shut down".

So I think it behooves us to ask what it means to say "Downloadsquad is shutting down".. It seems almost guaranteed that this means little more than the current ownership/writers are going to stop doing what they are doing, but will be back with different content on the site eventually.

Right?  I mean it's not like downloadsquad was one person's personal project -- i don't see any chance of it really just shutting down.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Another decent site that's gone belly-up is Elite Freeware.  I used to read that blog a lot, and was sorry to see it's going away.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 11:34 PM »
Another decent site that's gone belly-up is Elite Freeware.  I used to read that blog a lot, and was sorry to see it's going away.

yeah, too bad. the author, [user]gexecuter[/user] was an active member of DoCo too..

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Hey Guyz,

What's with all the whining and resignation to the demise of a favorite site??  Let's DO something: write your congressional representatives, the president, or even better let's start an email campaign to let them know our dismay.  May not help but it couldn't hurt. Now, anyone have a suitable destination (e.g. at huffington post for our emails to be sent???  They may not realize that they're making a mistake.  This is the new electronic democracy of the internet!!    Raise your voices!

Best regards,
Chuck
Yeah!!
Send email to Queen Huffington; if we flood her with enough, maybe she'll change her mind.

(Nothing against you Chuck, but you can bet that trying to turn someone like Ms. Huffington will prove quite futile. My opinion of her has never been positive ever, and now it's even worse...)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:04 AM by Edvard »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 11:00 PM »
Browserscene hasn't been updated in over a month.. anyone has any clues to what had happened?

http://www.browserscene.com/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 05:29 AM »
Browserscene hasn't been updated in over a month.. anyone has any clues to what had happened?

http://www.browserscene.com/

I did a little web crawling. But didn't find any relevant news or info. So I emailed Lee Mathews directly and asked what's up. Hopefully I'll hear back from him.

I'll post if I do. :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 08:50 PM »
I did a little web crawling. But didn't find any relevant news or info. So I emailed Lee Mathews directly and asked what's up. Hopefully I'll hear back from him.

I'll post if I do. :)

thanks, would be good to see them up and running.