topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: [freeware]:WikeNotes for you to manage your notes with ease  (Read 25039 times)

ahhha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WikeNotes is a free and portable tool for you to manage your notes, with it you can

* create note in plain text or html
* insert an image into a note
* paste content from web browser
* manage your notes by tags
* find your notes by typing words

you can minimize it to systray when you don't need it, call it out by hotkey you set.

Demo animation
help.gif

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [freeware]:WikeNotes for you to manage your notes with ease
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 02:12 AM »
this looks nice, i'm sure someone will find this useful.. :up:

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22 AM »
 :up: Welcome to Donationcoder.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 06:54 AM »
@ahhha: you can also embed the youtube video here..

like this: [youtube]cc9YAlPiEr4[/youtube]

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Welcome to DonationCoder! :)

Looks like an interesting and potentially useful addition to a notetaker's toolkit.  :Thmbsup:

Suggestion: provide a link to your web page too? Many of us are leery of links that point directly to an executable download without first knowing a little bit more about who is providing it.  :tellme:

(Sad times we live in that we have to be so cautious.)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:35 AM »
@40hz: i don't think the author has a website currently. the author dropped by the chat-room a few days back asking if he could release the software here at DoCo and we sort of pointed him to this board. the setup file was initially hosted at mediafire, so we suggested he attach it in this thread. i've downloaded and scanned the installer although i've yet to install it.

some info i gleaned from the author while at the chatroom: the program is QT-based and the data are saved in sqlite. i believe the author will be around soon to fill in the gaps. :)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 08:54 AM »
I can't seem to find a way to add multiple tags, is this currently how it works.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 09:32 AM »
@40hz: i don't think the author has a website currently. the author dropped by the chat-room a few days back asking if he could release the software here at DoCo and we sort of pointed him to this board. the setup file was initially hosted at mediafire, so we suggested he attach it in this thread. i've downloaded and scanned the installer although i've yet to install it.

some info i gleaned from the author while at the chatroom: the program is QT-based and the data are saved in sqlite. i believe the author will be around soon to fill in the gaps. :)

Well if somebody at DC vouched for it that's more than good enough for me.  ;D

But I was just making a general suggestion to him. It wasn't meant to be taken as criticism. Most software directory sites won't list or review your program if you don't have a website. And many don't allow direct links to file downloads for obvious reasons.

Still, maybe he'd be interested in joining up and hosting here? It would be nice to have another developer decide  to enter the DC fold.

:Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:35 AM by 40hz »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Nice app.  (Running it on Win7 64-bit Ultimate.)  It brings over everything - including all images - from a Web page with Drag 'n Drop, keeps the formatting nicely, date/time stamps the note.  Unfortunately, it does not bring over the URL (for attribution purposes).  Since I'm doing this 300-500 times a day, making a 2nd trip for the URL doubles the time requirement for my purposes.

While the keyword system is nice, it does not allow for multiple keywords/tags:  gamer pim notes (or gamer, pim, notes) appears on one line of the keyword/tag list, rather than each word appearing once in the list.  It would be much more convenient to click (Ctrl-click?) items in the list, then see every note with the selected keyword(s)/tag(s), something like CintaNotes.

Using hotkey combinations (non-selectable save for one) is great for non-mousers (no offense mouser  :P), but it would be much more convenient if those combinations were also toolbar icons as well, thus reducing switches from mouse to keyboard to mouse.

All in all, I'd say this is a worthwhile start ... can't wait to see what it's like when it graduates from v0.2 to v1.0  :Thmbsup:.

Edit:  typos.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:55 AM by barney »

ahhha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:23 AM »
@40hz: lanux128 is right, I don't have a website currently. Maybe I should establish one again since my old site has died years ago. But before I got my own website back, I'll be here to release, update and get comments. The installer actually is a self extracted executable created by 7-zip. It should be safe unless my computer got infected, you'd better scan it after downloading it, and inform me please, if the installer got infected.  :)

@lanux128: thanks for vouching  ;D, and the suggestions.

@Paul Keith: yes, multiple tags is not supported currently.

@barney: multi-tags, url embedded, tool icons will be in the to-do list, thanks for suggestions.

Dex

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 01:40 PM »
Hello ahhha, thanks for posting your software here, it looks like it would be very useful

Personally, I'd like to see a button for new, and one for save, as I never seem to use keyboard shortcuts.
Also, it would be great if the database could be put on a networked drive and shared between multiple machines

Best regards
Dex

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Around Christmas time when Surfulator was running a 50% off sale, I was debating whether or not to get it but the fact that they gave such a limited free upgrade period, that 3.4 had been out for some time and that they gave no indication of when v4 would be released made me decide against it even though it looked like a program I might use a fair bit.

I'm glad I did :)

Maybe now it's time to start organising my scraps of electrons.

Portable too  :Thmbsup:

Any chance of adding encryption to the database?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 06:59 PM »
fine idea  +  beautiful Unicoding  :up:

-------------
microscopic detail: it is not "type ctrl+n/ctrl+s" but "press ctrl+n/ctrl+s"

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 08:46 PM »
microscopic detail: it is not "type ctrl+n/ctrl+s" but "press ctrl+n/ctrl+s"

Picky, picky, picky  :) ;D :D :P.

ahhha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 04:10 AM »
After a month of hard work, the second version 0.3 of WikeNotes is released.

* toolbar icons added
    * multiple tags supported
    * matched scope added
    * Chinese language supported
    * new/open notes library
    * encryption of notes library supported
    * html editor added
    * external commands supported

Please check my newly established website.

http://wikenotes.com

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Looking forward to checking it out, using it.

One comment on the Web site.  It would be much more pleasurable to view if you'd shrink those screenshots by ~60%-50%.  Most folk aren't fond of horizontal scroll bars  :P.

ahhha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Looking forward to checking it out, using it.

One comment on the Web site.  It would be much more pleasurable to view if you'd shrink those screenshots by ~60%-50%.  Most folk aren't fond of horizontal scroll bars  :P.

Yes, shrank those screenshots. Thanks.

Since the installer of 0.3 is larger than 8M, I can't attach it here. Just download it from http://wikenotes.com

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Yep, much better ... those first four (4) pics fit quite nicely into the viewport.  The last one is a bit large.

Installing WikeNotes v0.3 now.  Will be back [reasonably] soon with {kudos  :Thmbsup: | comments  :huh: | complaints  :'(}.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 12:59 AM »
v0.3 2011-04-20 23:11:09

This part concerns mostly drag/drop or copy/paste from Web pages.

Appears to drag links, but not clickable - cursor changes appropriately when moved over apparent link.
Later attempts on same links clickable - time element?  This was a saved note.

Drag does not carry over images - not major, just for info - seems to allocate space for the image, but it grabs the alt value, not the image.  Most of the apps I've used of this nature do pretty much the same.  However, this was only one trial ... more will be forthcoming - different sizes, formats, and the like.  Oh, yeah ... clicking the image placeholder will open the page from which it was dragged.

My normal usage only involves images perhaps 30% of the time, although that usage might increase if it weren't so darned hard to get them in place.
-----
One thing that would be very handy - a couple of lists. One would be a list of available tags, the other would be a tag entry list. 
The tag entry list would enable to pre-enter tags that you'd expect to use. 
Then the available tag list would allow selection of appropriate tag(s) in order to avoid typos.  Of course, you'd still need the ability to add a new ad. hoc. tag to the note if you didn't have a suitable one available.

OK, that's enough for the moment ... me ear is crying to make love to a pillow.  But WikeNotes is looking very good  :up:.

capitalH

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 02:36 AM »
Download attempt 1: Failed after 382 kb
Download attempt 2: Failed after 4183 kb
Download attempt 3: Download does not start.

I am really looking to test this as a repository for webpages (all my python/ahk etc "help files") as I have been looking for something like this forever.

ahhha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 08:14 AM »
 @barney
yes, links do not work when editing a note, links work only after a note is saved.
Drag&drop of images works a little different with the old version -- 0.2, in 0.2 there is no HTML editor, while in the new version, the HTML editor introduced, you can insert an image with the toolbar icon, and the image will be saved into database, except that when the checkbox for `Only linking this` is checked. In that case, the image will not be saved into database, only a href link to the image. You can insert more than one images each time by ctrl+click in the open file dialog or just typing more urls such as "E:/pictures/17.jpg,E:/pictures/15.jpg,E:/pictures/16.jpg".

Autocomplete in the textbox of tag is in todo list.

Thanks for the detail comments.

@capitalH
Where are you? I'm planning to put a copy on dropbox.com, since I'm from China, my website is located in Beijing.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Looks promising, but as capitalH, I cannot download it.
Maybe you can put it on dropbox, wuala or similar?
Thanks

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 06:28 PM »
yes, links do not work when editing a note, links work only after a note is saved.

Well-l-l-l, not exactly  :'(.  Links that I paste in do not work even after the note having been saved.  Using v0.4, btw, after I finally managed to get past the password issue when upgrading from v0.3.  Mind you, links within the note work just fine, it's only the origin URL that I copy and paste into the top of the note that never becomes a link  :'(.

Actually, I have quite a wish list for WikeNotes  :P, but don't know how to get it to you ... tried contact form on the site, but either got no response, or it's in my spam folder - if the latter, I'm behind on checking it due to current workload.  One thing I'd really like to see, though, is to add a title list, prolly outline style, to the tag and month lists in the left panel  :-*.  The month list, btw, looks to be very handy.  In fact, it has been a couple of times lately.  The only thing I really miss is automated title and source url.

ahhha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 10:57 PM »
Version 0.5

ahhha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 12:02 AM »
The only thing I really miss is automated title and source url.

Try skydrive
http://cid-1a3b396d6...rowse.aspx/wikenotes