topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Microsoft unveils new UI prototype - Windows 8?  (Read 33796 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft unveils new UI prototype - Windows 8?
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:01 PM »
In a three and a half minute video, Microsoft may have shown the world what it has in store for the eagerly awaited Windows 8. In the video Microsoft showed a radically different interface from past versions of Windows -- even Windows 7. Running on Surface 2, the touch-screen successor to the original Microsoft Surface, the device accepts input from a Windows Phone 7 handset (HTC HD7).

Gone are the icons that drive Windows, OS X, and Linux operating systems of past and present. In their place are "bubbles" that interacted with files and post streaming information off the internet.

Source URL

More at MS Press Pass
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:02 PM by Josh »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft unveils new UI prototype - Windows 8?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Without looking at the source or anything other than what you've quoted, I'd guess it's a no for Windows 8 since it's using the Surface 2.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Couldn't surface 2 be used for future tablet pcs?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Couldn't surface 2 be used for future tablet pcs?

That depends on hardware pricing and manufacturer.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:29 PM »
As I understand, Surface is still thousands of dollars. It will be a little while before that technology is affordable for the mass market.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Where is Kinect? Never thought I'd see the day where we're told the mouse was unnatural and just too difficult to learn. As one commenter said: "At least they're experimenting."

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:49 AM »
As I understand, Surface is still thousands of dollars. It will be a little while before that technology is affordable for the mass market.

The thousands of dollars part was only for the infrared camera (in the base to watch for fingers), and the commercial (restaurant) quality heavy Plexiglas tabletop for the UI. The software was fairly basic and the computer used for all the back-when demos was a bog standard off-the-shelf machine.

With the touch screens available today, all MS really needs to launch it is an OS designed around it and an updated marketing plan.

kip

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Fx Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Try something like the Dell multi touch monitor with Windows 7 and some of the free touch pack from MS or the Worldwide Telescope, all the functionality of Surface at a reasonably low cost.  Damn good fun too

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:31 AM »
If I understand some of what was going on in the video there, MS is going to blow the top off of computing with a major revolution.

That is... If they don't do the "let's bugger this up" thang that MS likes to do every so often.

Put your camera on the screen to read photos? Unreal.

Some of the other stuff in there is also looking like it really will revolutionize the UI.

Crossing my fingers...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 07:49 PM »
So yeah... Windows 8 does seem to be more like a Tablet OS than a desktop OS. . .

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Looks like a cool interface for a wall mounted art display or a pad-based infotainment device.. and a painfully horrid general interface for an operating system.

All I can say is: I hope it has a Windows 2000 User Interface option buried somewhere in the control panel.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Yeah, making the "flicking" motions with the mouse all the time to navigate seems like it would be annoying.

When he was showing off Excel I did see the standard looking Windows 7 task bar and "Windows" button, etc. So there's some hope for that.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Looks like a cool interface for a wall mounted art display or a pad-based infotainment device.. and a painfully horrid general interface for an operating system.
Yes!  I totally agree.  I can't imagine wanting to move to Windows 8.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48 PM »
I am NOT trading in my taskbar full of icons for that stupid start screen!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Wow, looks beautiful...but would NOT want to code on that lol

Gimme a keyboard over a touchscreen any day!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 06:03 AM »
Seriously guys, do you really think the desktop version of Windows 8 is going to ship with the tablet UI as the default interface?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 06:29 AM »
I am NOT trading in my taskbar full of icons for that stupid start screen!

Um, Yeah... Pencil me into the You Gotta Be Shitting Me! list also. Totally did not see this coming. Crap.
 :(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 07:18 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it. My guess is that Microsoft is already working with some select hardware vendors to come up with solutions that will address all the UI/input device concerns.

I'd like to see this all come storming out of the gates as a raging success. It would be nice to have something different out there to look forward to.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. My guess is that Microsoft is already working with some select hardware vendors to come up with solutions that will address all the UI/input device concerns.

It's not the input devices that concern me. You see, the 'T' in T-Clock, stands for Tray. As in SystemTray. So... If there is no TaskBar, There is also no SystemTray. Hence the project (that I've been working on for a decade) would be dead.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 01:03 PM »

It's not the input devices that concern me. You see, the 'T' in T-Clock, stands for Tray. As in SystemTray. So... If there is no TaskBar, There is also no SystemTray. Hence the project (that I've been working on for a decade) would be dead.

Like I said... Don't worry. Microsoft has always been in the business of helping developers. Now, if it were Apple, you could expect a big fat c**k in your a** real fast.

MS has always been about backward compatibilty. F**king people is Apple's Job.

;)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 01:35 PM »
The trouble with all this is that it is already nearly there in touch screen computers.

I already have a number of clients using systems with touch screens  - the problem is after the novelty wears off (around the 5 minute mark) they all go back to keyboard and mouse because it is quick, more accurate and less tiring to use.

Who wants to use massive arm gestures when a quick flick of the wrist does the job rather better.

Maybe more innovative software is required but I am not convinced Microsoft are capable of producing it.

At least MS are thinking - the problem is that the way they are thinking seems to be at odds with what people want. All this is ideal in a palm device (except when you need to type when it is utterly crap) but on a large screen it looks really childish and nerdy!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:44 PM by Carol Haynes »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Boy is that ever gorgeous and just too cool.  :Thmbsup:

I don't like it.  :P

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Boy is that ever gorgeous and just too cool.  :Thmbsup:

I don't like it.  :P
I actually don't mind it right now.  The key to the functional success of Windows 8 will be how well it will work with the various input methods.  So far, Windows was great for people who used keyboards and mice.  Now, with the tablet market emerging, the interface needs to be very specifically suited for touch input.  That comes down to bigger buttons and bigger fonts, and fewer menus and little things to click on.  Windows 7, even though it can do touch stuff, is not as elegant as iOS because it still operates fundamentally on mouse input and keyboard.  All the touch features are sort of shoehorned in.

On the other hand, it still needs to be able to work well with a keyboard and mouse when needed, because windows users will always hang on to this approach.  So, in my opinion, there needs to be an elegant way to switch between the various modes: touch mode, and classic mode.  You can't have both simultaneously.  If they try to do both, it will not be that good.  Same goes for apps.  I'm sure there are going to be programs suited for tablet use, and others suited for the traditional use we are used to.  We can't expect to use our current Windows procedures on a touch interface.  People always get frustrated by this and don't realize that they can't have it both ways at the same time.  Touch interaction doesn't have the precision and speed of mouse/keyboard use/  But mouse/keyboard is bulky, so it's not portable.  So touch mode will need to be used for tablet type functions.  Meaning, we shouldn't complain when trying to use a tablet to work with hardcore excel spreadsheets.  You can't have it both ways.  We need to stop comparing tablets with laptops and desktops, and then get frustrated that we can't do stuff that we used to be able to do.

The other "mode" I can see being necessary with touchscreens becoming mainstream now is some kind of precision drawing mode.  Touch input for using apps is one thing...doing precise drawings is another.  Touch input for apps will need to be forgiving with the precision, or else it will become a nuisance.  So in drawing mode, it will be sort of a hybrid between mouse-like precision, but the tactile freedom of the pen.

Those are the three modes I'm thinking about, and that is how I will judge the effectiveness of Windows 8's new interface.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 04:01 PM »
I am really sick of the mindset that everything needs to be "purdy at all costs", forsaking functionality and customizability if necessary in order to achieve this "purdy-ness". (You can probably thank Apple for this)

I do not like desktop icons. I do not have any. My desktop is usually covered by open windows so I rarely ever see it. It is inconvenient to go to my desktop to launch applications. I use my desktop as a personal message board, pinning sticky notes to myself and an assortment of gauges and widgets that supply info I don't need to see every moment of every day, but still needs to remain handy.

It is inconvenient to go to the start menu and go scrolling through huge menus looking for the app I want to launch. I do not have a mere 10 apps installed on my computer...I have many. Just in games alone, I have over 50 that have shortcuts on my taskbar. That Win8 start screen is great for people that don't have much. Can you imagine scrolling through 100's of "pages" to find the one app you want to use?

A lot of time, thought, and work went into setting up my desktop to be as productive as possible. 12 years to be exact. I resent any company that takes a few months to undo all that I have done over the course of many years, in order to appeal to people that should be using a TV rather than a computer.

The apps I have installed often have a collection of files that go with them, in their own folder, which I do not keep in "My Documents".

For convenience sake, I keep shortcuts to things I use often on my taskbar, sorted into nice sections by purpose, with the folders of related files located right next to the shortcut for the app they are used with.

It is faster and easier for me to pop out my taskbar when I need it and go right to the shortcut I want. My hand instinctively knows where everything is. It is so much a part of myself now, that I am lost when using another OS in which I can't have a taskbar arranged the way I want. It is the one thing that keeps me coming back to Windows and prevents me from adopting another OS full time.

I hated the introduction of themes in XP because besides looking ugly and childish, it took up more space on the taskbar, causing less shortcuts to fit per row.

I hated the removal of the ability to have additional shortcut bars on other edges of the desktop, introduced in Win7. (saw this on my dad's PC and decided not to upgrade till I found a solution to the problem)

I like the simplicity and complete customizability of the classic Win9x theme.

If it means not upgrading in order to keep my desktop functional to me, then so be it.

If it means choosing another OS to accomplish what I want, then so be it.

If Microsoft continues to attempt to cater to Mac users and idiots that can't use a computer, they risk alienating people like me that have taken the time to get to know their OS and what it is capable of, and customized their desktop in ways the average person has not.

We are not all going to jump to using tablets, forsaking our desktop computers. We are not all going to move all our data to the cloud. We are not all going to live in our browsers. We are not all going to stop being productive producers and switch to being happy little idiot consumers that just need a few icons we can select with our chubby fingers to view what someone else has created (most likely created on a different OS designed for productivity).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 04:23 PM »
 :) Damn app103, that was beautiful!  :Thmbsup: