topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST LaunchBar Commander VERSION INFO THREAD - v1.158.01 beta - Jan 22, 2020  (Read 277990 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Not really what you're looking for but when the error message about autosize/stretch appears, if one opens the configuration menu without first closing the warning message, then LBC locks up.

That's helpful.

Plus, can you be more explicit about turning off stretch? I don't see an entry that matches your wording. If I check 'on' for Do not stretch, on the second docking panel, nothing seems to change.

Will do.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any testing would be appreciated.
-cranioscopical (March 18, 2017, 11:09 PM)

The flashing on startup is gone, now I can abandon my raincoat  :Thmbsup:

On most changes I see an LBC requester:
IN TTreeForm::DoRebuildNow1.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Glad to hear about the flashing being vanquished.

Sounds like I left in a debug message.  I will upload new version tonight with latest fixes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New beta version has been uploaded.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser, I downloaded the new beta and asked my Kaspersky AV to scan it (I do this for just about everything I download). To my surprise, Kaspersky called attention to one "object" that it did not process. The filename was C:\Users\[Username]\LaunchBarCommanderSetup.exe//data0071//nircmdc.exe . Kaspersky identified it as not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.HideExec.bm .  The explanation said "Programs in this category have a number of functions (such as concealing files in the system, hiding windows running applications, terminating active processes, etc.) which can be used with malicious intent. They are, in themselves, not malicious."  This isn't the first time Kaspersky has claimed that a perfectly legitimate piece of software on my computer may pose a possible problem. I've learned not to take such warnings seriously, but I thought you might be interested in knowing about this. 

Needless to say, I went ahead and installed the LBC beta. It may just be my imagination, but the display looks a bit larger and clearer than I remember. 

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Working well for me.

(Kaspersky didn't have anything to say to me about it, but then so many people are the same way.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nircmd is an awesome free third party tool that I installed with LBC so that you can make buttons that do things like put computer to sleep, etc.  The antivirus programs that alert on it are being incredibly unfair to label such a program as dangerous when it is not.  Nevertheless you can always block that program if you want, it won't affect the functioning of LBC.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, mouser, for your quick and reassuring response.  It's not clear that I'll be using Nircmd, not because of Kaspersky, just because I doubt I'll want to do any of the things the program would enable me to do.  I'm not sure how I'd disable it, but I'm not sure that's necessary.  I can just tell Kaspersky to ignore it.  I posted the message not because I was worried but simply to give you a heads-up about Kaspersky's unfriendly response.  I have a lot more faith in you than in Kaspersky!  :Thmbsup:

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Mouser, I spotted a typo a warning dialog, a misspelling of the word 'function'. Unfortunately I don't have a high-dpi monitor to offer any other feedback.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks very much, dluby, will fix.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Shouldn't it be We recommend you to not perform this action rather than We recommend you do not perform this action?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"We recommend you to not perform this action" does not sound natural in (American) English, but perhaps it would sound better to say "We recommend that you do not perform this action."

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
perhaps it would sound better to say "We recommend that you do not perform this action."

FWIW: either is good -- leaving out the 'that' is more succinct imo -- when not included, it is understood.

Note: I'm not saying it is 100% grammatically correct (I dont know whether it is or not) but I work on the lines that grammar rules will eventually catch up with the language as used ;-)
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We recommend that you do not perform this action.
Were you to do this, your fingers would drop off and your nose split and peel back.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@mouser:
"We recommend you to not perform this action" does not sound natural in (American) English, but perhaps it would sound better to say "We recommend that you do not perform this action."
That's what my English teacher would probably have recommended as the correct use of English in this case, but it might be regarded as being pedantic to insist on using "that" in modern usage - particularly in American usage, I would have thought. When I remember to do it, I would generally use "that" when I am writing, anyway, as it would seem to be more specific, which could reduce any potential ambiguity. However, when writing a negative (do not do this thing) instruction in (say) a Help file, I would suggest the passive form, taking out the 3rd person plural "We": This action is not recommended, or (say) This action is not recommended unless/except etc. (which @cranioscopical seems to be hinting at - i.e., there may be an implicit conditional "if" statement that is not spelled out).

However, it seems that, in common American usage, the verb "recommend" is often followed by an infinitive verb with "to".
Examples:
  • "The man recommended to take the next turning on the left."
  • "The man recommended him to take the next turning on the left."
- but what about: "The man recommended taking the next turning on the left."?

A dictionary does not always help:
  • that
    · pron. & det. (pl. those)
    1 used to identify a specific person or thing observed or heard by the speaker. Ø referring to the more distant of two things near to the speaker.
    2 referring to a specific thing previously mentioned or known.
    3 used in singling out someone or something with a particular feature.
    4 informal, chiefly Brit. expressing strong agreement with something just said: ‘He’s a fussy man.’ ‘He is that.’
    5 [as pron.] (pl. that) used instead of which, who, when etc. to introduce a defining clause, especially one essential to identification.
    · adv. to such a degree. Ø [with neg.] informal very: he wasn’t that far away.
    · conj.
    1 introducing a subordinate clause.
    2 poetic/literary expressing a wish or regret.
    – PHRASES and all that (or and that) informal and so on. like that informal instantly or effortlessly. that is (or that is to say) a formula introducing or following an explanation or further clarification. that said even so. that’s that there is nothing more to do or say about the matter.
    – ORIGIN OE thæt, nominative and accusative sing. neut. of se ‘the’, of Gmc origin.
    Concise Oxford Dictionary (10th Ed.)

• recommend
    · v.
    1 put forward with approval as being suitable for a purpose or role. Ø advise as a course of action. Ø advise to do something.
    2 make appealing or desirable.
    3 (recommend someone/thing to) archaic commend or entrust someone or something to.
    – DERIVATIVES recommendable adj. recommendation n. recommendatory adj. recommender n.
    – ORIGIN ME: from med. L. recommendare, from L. re- (expressing intensive force) + commendare ‘commit to the care of’.
    Concise Oxford Dictionary (10th Ed.)

Different dictionaries and other English references seem to give conflicting recommendations, and opinions differ.
Your American colleagues speak a strange variety of American English. I recommend them to stop giving grammatical advice! I recommend that they stop giving grammatical advice!
You can advise someone to do something, but can neither recommend nor suggest someone to do something, in my opinion.
In fact, you may hear recommend someone to do something, or even see it in writing, but it doesn't strike me as correct.

Of course, it's not just Americans on this forum and so the correct English usage for this case could probably be endlessly debated!    ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:37 AM by IainB »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We recommend that you do not perform this action.
Were you to do this, your fingers would drop off and your nose split and peel back.
-cranioscopical (March 21, 2017, 07:27 AM)

who needs pictures ;D
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v1.153.01 - Mar 24, 2017
  • [MajorFeature] First High-dpi compatible version beta.
  • [BugFix] Too many backup files were sometimes being created.
  • [MajorFeature] You can now set custom icon sizes for large and small buttons (see main options tab 3).
  • [Improvement] Improved message when you try to launch a second instance.
  • [Feature] Added an "auto-size" bar to right-click bar pop-up menu.
  • [BugFix] Fixed error that could occur on rare occasions that the configuration tree attempted to display twice.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very minor update:

v1.154.01 - Nov 17, 2018
  • [BugFix] Minor improvements to startup and dock adjustment settings during monitor resolution changes, to try to avoid scenarios where dock is not visible.

Toxster

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for fixing this little irritant, it's great you're still supporting this :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Couple of queries and an odd thing - using LBC v1.154.2.0 (2018-11-21)
LBC in "Portable" mode.
System is Win10-64 Pro
Temp is a RAMdisk: R:\Temp

1, Docking is not persistent:
  • The docked window does not consistently pop down when the hotkey trigger is pressed. I have to keep doing a "restore from tray" to get it back.
  • Am I missing something about making it persistent?

2. Slow display on hover/select of an item in the drop-down menu:
  • Display is usually slow, sometimes interminably so. Sometimes quite quick.
  • I wondered if it was a RAM problem, but I have 16GB of RAM, so it shouldn't be. Doesn't seem to make any difference if I clear the Standby List in RAM.
  • Is there any way to consistently speed up LBC here?

3. Strange folder creation:
  • I don't know what is doing it, but this path repeatedly gets created (even after I delete it), always with empty folders:
    C:\Workdata.001\Hold\SCRAP 0-ANY\QL folter temp\2018-08-07 1326hrs  Quick Launch (HP Pav-15)\User Pinned

• There is an actual folder on my HDD:
    C:\UTIL\.Quick Launch Backup\.Quick Launch Backups.zip\2018-08-07 1326hrs  Quick Launch (HP Pav-15)\User Pinned
     - but note that it is in a .ZIP folder.   :tellme:

• Folder C:\Workdata.001\Hold\SCRAP 0-ANY\ is often used by me to execute/run setup proggies from and I wondered whether LBC had something to do with it. So far, I haven't figured out what keeps creating this empty path. The wording "QL folter temp" Sounds like it could be Dutch or Deutsch, I guess.
    Pinned links are "magic" links. The only reason I though LBC might have something to do with this strange path creation is that there are pinned links in the folders that LBC is attempting to display, and I wondered whether the pinned links might be causing the delay in LBC, as it tries to resolve the paths of those links.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The wording "QL folter temp" Sounds like it could be Dutch or Deutsch, I guess.

'folter' means torture (!) in Dutch and Deutsch -- probably does mean folder in some other language though..
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@tomos:
The wording "QL folter temp" Sounds like it could be Dutch or Deutsch, I guess.
'folter' means torture (!) in Dutch and Deutsch -- probably does mean folder in some other language though..
Well, thanks, that's, er, fascinating, but it doesn't really help me get any nearer an answer to my queries. (Maybe its pidgin English. Who knows?)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Update:
v1.157.01 - Dec 30, 2019
  • [BugFix] On some monitors with high text scaling the configuration dialog was cut off.
  • [MinorChange] Right-clicking on an item on a launch bar brings up a context menu for the file pointed to by the item; the delete/rename/cut context menu items for nodes work on the actual files, which may not be what the user expects.  Because of this, these actions are now forbidden from the right-click context menu.
  • [Improvement] Settings file location shown in about box.
  • [MinorChange] Right-clicking on an item on a launch bar brings up a context menu for the file pointed to by the item; the delete/rename/cut context menu items for nodes work on the actual files, which may not be what the user expects.  Because of this, these actions are now forbidden from the right-click context menu.
  • [BugFix] Windows 32-bit versions were giving an error about missing function GetTickCount64

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v1.158.01 - Jan 23, 2020
  • [Feature] New option on DockingBar2 tab of launchbar to disable the default show-on-mouseover behavior; only useful if you toggle hide/show of your dock with hotkey and don't want it showing automatically on mouseover.
  • [Improvement] Dock color selector now allows arbitrary custom color to be chosen.
  • [Improvement] Using hotkey to toggle dock now works properly to toggle dock visibility even for floating docks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:33 PM by mouser »