topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: March 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Pledges?  (Read 95871 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: March 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Pledges?
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2011, 09:13 PM »
This will act as an incentive for people to both Donate, AND Pledge!

With respect, I feel that might not work. If people can't see and get a sense of what's on offer that could be a disincentive.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2011, 11:11 PM »
Not to want to rain on things...but I'm not super keen on the whole pledging concept in general.

Maybe it's just me, but my pointed little head views it as an added layer of complexity coming between the individual and (hopefully) their making a donation. And the pledging process tends to come across as being just a little full of itself after a while. Almost like when people try to pep up an otherwise dull meeting by introducing some "team building" activities into the mix.

I don't mind being asked to make a donation to something I admire or believe in. Just let me write them my check or give them my card number and all's well AFAIC. But when they start with games, and pledges, and fund matching 'challenges', and tiered membership premiums, and...well...all the usual crap PBS layers on top during their bi-monthly fundraisers, I start getting annoyed. And tend not to contribute as a result.

But again, maybe that's just me. :huh:

Whatever gets decided, please do your best to keep it as simple as possible?

If there are too many pledge options for a contributor to look at, you run the risk of "candystore lockup." That's when the number of choices overwhelms the customer - who often leaves without buying anything.

Top restaurants know that. Which is why some of the finest and most successful have what to some would seem like an extremely small menu (2 specials + 3 entrees max). Contrast that with the average multi-page jumbo-sized diner menu - and the number of people who end up just ordering a snack or coffee because the menu was too much to think about.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21 AM »
wow, busy!

a minor idea -
that we put some brief promotional spiel in the top of the 1st post in threads (coding snacks, etc.) that are related to the fundraising - e.g.

This is part of the dc fundraising drive, March 2011 - see that thermometer up there we are aiming to raise $XYZ in order to maintain the site etc.

then in the bottom of the first post we could add a list of people who have pledged money related to this particular thread/snack/etc.

Re getting new people - if there's enough activity would the promotional newsletter not be enough?
How did it work last time - IIRC there was just the fundraiser - no special site activity - thread here (March 2009)
and here's the thermometer banner used that time

there was a lot of excitement watching that  - but I dont know was that just amongst 'regulars' or also for first time donaters...
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2011, 08:15 AM »
I am sorry if i threw hot water on the pledge idea that some people were really into.. I should make clear that I think the pledge idea is fun and have no objection to it on principle, I've just become sensitive to the idea that confusion and complexity are the main weaknesses of DC.  So I have been trying to be disciplined about not introducing any more than necessary..

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Pledges are good for those who are already member of doco and want to fetch more donations. I don't know how it will complicate for those who are not yet part of doco forums or never donated earlier. Pledges for mini review, blogging, programs are going to bring visitors to the site, so i don't see any complications there. Just redirect the traffic to 'fund raiser' page and there is no complication for new members. Let's just keep some pledges within forums and put coding snack on display. This will not complicate things as these things are already running on this site.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2011, 08:58 AM »
So i guess i mucked things up with this topic, not understanding what people meant by "pledges".. I don't know if this means we should start 2 new threads to clean things up, one for just people stating what they are willing to do to help out fundraiser, and one for people organizing some kind of pledge-to-donate-if-other-people-accomplish-some-goal "pledge" thing.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Not to want to rain on things...but I'm not super keen on the whole pledging concept in general.

I completely agree with 40hz.

By now, mouser (and Perry, haha) know I don't much agree with all the extra rules (maybe too strong of a word in this case) and structure that tend to get added to things over time.  I don't like change for change's sake and I don't like solutions in search of a problem.  I feel they just muck things up and people lose sight of the original goal and then focus more on the all these new details that don't matter.  I feel that people are either eager to donate or don't care one whit about it.  No amount of incentive will get the latter to donate.  Personally, I do not donate to causes with the expectation of getting something in return.  In other words, I don't think that there are as many swayable or "on the fence" types as you might think.  Instead of putting the effort on trying to win that group over, we should put the focus onto getting the word out to the blogosphere.  Word of mouth is powerful stuff.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58 AM »
What do people *think* the pledging concept is?  I didn't look at it as a rules based thing, nor an either/or type of situation.  What I thought when you pledged something is similar to pledging for the many walks or such... you pledge to do something, and get people behind you.  Not just post it, but actually get people behind you... whether from DoCo, or people you know from other sites.  If others from DoCo want to contribute to your pledge, that's fine... but I thought that the major impetus would be the fulfiller of the pledge- something like KickStarter.  No rules- it's just to release something, and get people behind your release with money that will be given to DoCo.  That was my  :two: anyway.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2011, 10:28 AM »
I'm with wraith:

I think pledges are essential in this context. We're showing the world how active we are, how much goes on in DC. It's like the annual village fete that raises money for the church roof. You gather together, have fun, do silly things, win trivia, all in a good cause. And all powered by people who have pledged to join in and make it happen by being pro-active.

Compare and contrast if someone were simply sitting in a field with a coin box saying, "please donate to the church roof" *rattle rattle* as the traffic whizzes past.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Maybe I should clarify a bit; I don't mind so much the pledges and pledging.  It's all the extra incentive stuff that we're discussing that I don't care much for.  IMO, a pledge/donation should be made without any expectation of something in return.  Yes, granted, often you do get something in return but I don't think one should expect it when they make a pledge or donation.  That's how I was brought up *shrug*.  So, when I see us focusing our effort more on what people should get in return for a donation/pledge rather than using that effort to spread the fact that we are soliciting donations, it irks me a bit.  Not much, mind you, I'm way too laid back for that...but a little.   :D  I'd just rather see our energies more focused on spreading the word and, as you say, "gather together, have fun, do silly things."   :P  I'm more of a "get things done" type of person as opposed to the type that likes to discuss things endlessly.   ;D

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Yes, skwire. But I do want a badge  8)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2011, 12:18 PM »
But I do want a badge  8)
Me too ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45 PM »
There will be new badges for anyone who survives donates and/or contributes their time during a fundraiser.  8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2011, 12:59 PM »
What do people *think* the pledging concept is?  

I see it as an incentive.

And from my experience, incentive offers are double-edged swords more often than not.

Much like "liking" now that some businesses are starting to require you "like" them on Facebook before you can download something they're offering as "freeware." (And don't get me going on that topic again or we'll never get finished! ;D)

:)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:45 PM by 40hz, Reason: Minor fixes to spelling and grammar. »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2011, 01:18 PM »

Much like "liking" now that some businesses that are starting to require you "like" them on Facebook before you can download something they're offering as "freeware." (And don't get me going on that topic again or we'll never get finished! ;D)

:)

Dear God, no! Is that a fact? I shall be SO glad when this facebook bollocks has blown over. Leave it for the kids to play with.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2011, 01:48 PM »
What do people *think* the pledging concept is? 

I see it as an incentive.

That's not what *I* see it as, which is maybe why we have a disconnect.

If you walk for the united way, and get pledges towards your miles walked or completing a walk, who is getting anything from that?  What's the incentive? 

Spoiler
No one but the charity and none are the answers for the smart alecs out there.

So, that's the type of pledging that I'm talking about.  Not incentives nor disincentives.  Just a little effort on the DoCo members to maybe explain a bit about what they're doing and why, and does the person that they're pitching to want to sponsor them in completing this task.

That was my thought behind the idea.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2011, 10:44 PM »
I'm with 40hz so far as finding anything gimmicky related to donating annoying. I would also respond unfavorably if I felt I was being pressured or coerced into donating even if the coercion was very subtle. The most effective way to get someone with my mindset to donate would be for the site to just present its case in plain terms as to why donations are required and leave the rest to me. I have seen a few sites that have a permanent thermometer displaying the state of their finances. This may not be optimal for DC, but it seems like a pretty good idea in general.
I don't claim any kind of wisdom when it comes to raising funds so the above is just my personal opinion.

Having said that, my contribution to DC is long overdue and I can't wait for the 1st of March.  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2011, 11:12 PM »
I have adapted a traditional card game to be played as a Cody-themed card game with a special deck of cards, and called it CodyCards.

In the game, Cody will try to steal your coins and you must bribe, defend, or attack him to convince him to steal from your opponents instead of you.

Donors will have a chance to win a custom deck of Cody Cards in the end-of-the-fundraiser drawing.  Value for this one-of-a-kind game has been estimated at between $0 and $1 million dollars.

CodyCards.jpgMarch 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Pledges?

Note: These cards were created with my Python Card Creation library, a small and simple set of functions to aid in rapid card game prototyping, that i hope to release soon.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:21 PM by mouser »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2011, 01:29 AM »
my contribution to DC is long overdue and I can't wait for the 1st of March
Yep, here too, the day's are getting longer, and the nights shorter, on the western hemisphere, so it seems a little faster each day (been working on it during nights ;))

Donors will have a chance to win a custom deck of Cody Cards in the end-of-the-fundraiser drawing
That's a good reason for a donation, collector items :up:

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2011, 03:27 AM »
Hi Stephen,

How about if we had the fundraiser items (Reviews, Coding Snacks etc) all posted into a special area, that only those who have pledged (and submitted one pledge to mouser, or a Fundraiser admin for sumittion into the area) and those who have donated in the month of March; can access.

This area will be something like the area that is currently only available for anybody with the "Supporting Member" title, and will act as sort of a "Pre-Release Room".  Once the fundraiser has finished, one whole month will pass before the posts go public (May 1st).

Sorry, i think your idea is contra productive.

I understand the fundraiser idea in that way to convince people to visit our pages regularly as they are curious what we got new this day and the next day and the next ...

Following your idea is to burn the whole firework rockets in one bunch at the same time instead of enjoying the spectacle over a longer time.

People just think, ok, they release it at 1st, May, then i'll come back then and read them all at once.

I think to have people on our pages every day for whole march and see all the other new posts too (not only the fundraiser related) and the donation thermometer and seeing your new tattoo that you'll get every day (:) SCNR - hehehe) is the most important thing. So visiting DC site can become a kind of "tradition" for them and may last over the end of march too.

Just my 2ct.
Greetings
JoTo
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:30 AM by JoTo »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2011, 11:19 AM »
How come people aren't more excited about my new card game?  :mad:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2011, 11:38 AM »

Based on the picture, I deduce that Cody did it...in the bird bath...with the napalm.  We all know he's a pyromaniac.   :P

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2011, 11:39 AM »
How come people aren't more excited about my new card game?  :mad:

You should cross-post to the official Pledge thread, where it won't get lost in all this waffle.

EDIT: Oh! This IS the pledge thread. What's all this waffle doing in here?  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2011, 12:27 PM »
How come people aren't more excited about my new card game?  :mad:

Speaking only for myself, possibly because I have something like ten really cool games I've bought, over the last year or so, that are still sitting on the shelf (most in their original shrink-wrap) because I haven't found the time to get into them. And that's to say nothing of my own personal game dev projects, all of which are now languishing in various stages of abandonment and neglect.  :P

However, I'm very excited about that card creation library you mentioned. Put me on the waiting list to buy a license when it comes out.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 12:37 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2011, 01:20 PM »

Speaking only for myself, possibly because I have something like ten really cool games I've bought, over the last year or so, that are still sitting on the shelf (most in their original shrink-wrap) because I haven't found the time to get into them. And that's to say nothing of my own personal game dev projects, all of which are now languishing in various stages of abandonment and neglect.  :P

However, I'm very excited about that card creation library you mentioned. Put me on the waiting list to buy a license when it comes out.  :Thmbsup:

Again, 40hz puts my thoughts into print LOL :)