topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: March 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Pledges?  (Read 95858 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: March 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Pledges?
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2011, 05:15 AM »
@tomos -PDFTT. :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2011, 05:26 AM »
I'll bet he'll have a strong feeling of "isn't that the same old sh*?".
-lotusrootstarch (February 25, 2011, 04:59 AM)

Funny you should say that because that's usually my thoughts when reading your posts.

One of your complaints is that there has not been any noticeable additions to the number of active members of the site.

How would you propose to fix that?

Should we take the donations people make and employ paid posters that care nothing about the site to be those new active members you want so badly?

Or maybe perhaps you could become an active member, instead of sitting on the sidelines waiting for the rare occasion where you can pop up and complain about the site and its lack of new active members. With only 28 posts, 25% of which are in this thread, you haven't exactly done much for the community that you claim can do better. This community can do nothing without its members taking an active part in shaping the direction it goes.

Instead of just occasionally pointing out what you perceive to be problems, you can be part of the solution. Instead of sitting in your lawn chair pointing out the flaws, roll up your sleeves and get to work.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2011, 05:44 AM »
Now, back to the topic...

If we reach the fundraiser goal, I pledge to create a searchable "mini-site" to categorically catalog and tag every application we offer...all the major apps, all the coding snacks, all the NANY apps...all of it.

It will be a huge time consuming task and once I get started I will probably need the help and cooperation of many of the coders here, answering questions about their apps. I will probably also need a few dedicated volunteers to help maintain it, adding new apps as they are made.

I also wouldn't want to start it till I see the new front page design, live.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11 AM »

Because you guys can potentially do better but with all the yes-sayers and fanboys around it's pretty hard to really move ahead you know.
-lotusrootstarch (February 25, 2011, 05:13 AM)

One can almost always do better. Constructive criticism should be accepted with grace, if well meant, and probably evaluated seriously even if not. Many of us here are 'listening' to what you say and thinking about it. We tend to do that around here.

My difficulty is that I don't see where or how your comments are constructive. To me they seem full of "you should/you shouldn't" without any substantive suggestions of how or why. Your comments about servers did offer some suggestions but those had already been considered, tried, and improved upon.

I agree that fund raisers tend to kick up the dust of discussion and that a good bit of what's talked about never comes to pass once that dust settles. It's also true that changes and improvements do take place even if they do not seem dramatic. I would be offended to be categorized as a "yes-sayer or fanboy" and, like you, I have made a modest donation or two to the site. One can only speak personally but I shall contribute again because I am satisfied with DonationCoder, see no need for radical change, and am pleased by the steady improvements that I see. A chacun son goût.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:14 AM by cranioscopical, Reason: Still unable either to spell or proof read. »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2011, 11:21 AM »
One more thing that probably bears saying -- it's hard to reconcile the idea BOTH that we need more new user participation AND that we shouldn't have a fundraiser because we haven't had as much new user involvement as we should or would like.  Half the point of the fundraiser-celebration is to try to get new users involved and to be part of the site -- not just through financial contributions but by participating in discussions and content creation.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Good point, and getting back to that:

1. A new application that will help you to read the DC forums 'offline'

2. A full review of a large software application

3. An HITC cartoon strip if anyone wants it  :-[

4. A 'How-To' or 2 if I have time... I am travelling a lot in March (mouser, I'm coming over your way) but maybe it will give me something to do between schmoozing sessions  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2011, 11:32 AM »

Wow!  :Thmbsup:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2011, 11:48 AM »

-cranioscopical (February 25, 2011, 11:32 AM)

You're impressed that I can count, right? I can actually make it all the way to 21, thanks to my vestigial 6th toe.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2011, 12:38 PM »
-- it's hard to reconcile the idea BOTH that we need more new user participation AND that we shouldn'thave a fundraiser because we haven't had as much new user involvement as we should or would like.  

I've only heard one person commenting that there shouldn't be a fundraiser for that reason.

And this is a person who allegedly donates under one name, but then signs in under a second forum name whenever he feels the urge to hector and insult under the guise of constructive criticism. Boy is that ever terrific forum etiquette. Speaks volumes about the person's character as well.

Sure makes me want to give that opinion some extra weight.

(Now you know why most forums have a rule you're only allowed one handle at a time - and why they'll ban you if they catch you using two names.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:53 PM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2011, 12:40 PM »
I am travelling a lot in March (mouser, I'm coming over your way)

a dc gathering in march!  anyone else want to visit champaign IL for some dinner and board games?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2011, 12:48 PM »
I am travelling a lot in March (mouser, I'm coming over your way)

a dc gathering in march!  anyone else want to visit champaign IL for some dinner and board games?

Well, I'll be in Chicago for a week - it would not be out of the question if things go to plan. I know you're outside the city, but not that far eh? Couple of hours is it?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2011, 01:22 PM »
3 hours by car or train and amtrak train station is just a few blocks from my place.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27 PM »
And this is a person who allegedly donates under one name, but then signs in under a second forum name whenever he feels the urge to hector and insult under the guise of constructive criticism. Boy is that ever terrific forum etiquette. Speaks volumes about the person's character as well.
A troll will always stay a troll, whatever name he hides behind. Let's just not feed them :-\

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2011, 01:39 PM »
I'll write a mini-review in March! Can't promise it'll be any good, but I'll do it!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2011, 06:17 PM »

-cranioscopical (February 25, 2011, 11:32 AM)

You're impressed that I can count, right? I can actually make it all the way to 21, thanks to my vestigial 6th toe.

Actually, I was going to remark on the absence of a fifth column but I didn't want to provoke a row.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Actually, I was going to remark on the absence of a fifth column but I didn't want to provoke a row.
-cranioscopical (February 25, 2011, 06:17 PM)

Crainioscopical...shows up on 'queue' as always!  ;D

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2011, 06:54 PM »
-cranioscopical (February 25, 2011, 06:17 PM)

Crainioscopical...shows up on 'queue' as always!  ;D

omg  ;D

So - is there somewhere that we can browse the wares? Like a one-page summary of what to look forward to in March?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2011, 08:30 PM »
It's almost fundraiser celebration time!!!
The thermometer banner is about to go up in all of it's Cody glory.  :-*

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2011, 09:15 PM »
Ok i need people to start volunteering to release *something* new on a specific date.  see here: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=25887

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2011, 03:57 PM »
I've released the Coding Snack I pledged for today in it's thread, over here

Please comment, so I can improve it further :)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2011, 05:45 PM »

Gailin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42 PM »
Earlier someone suggested finding a method of using some of the funds obtained in this fundraiser to bring in new members or what has changed etc.  Regardless of the validity or tactful nature of his comment, I do have one possible suggestion.

I found this forum when I was searching for a replacement for Launchy.  Through a Google Search and some poking a I found Find and Run Robot.  A great piece of software that I love, and immediately I became a supporter of this site.  Perhaps if we compile a list of some of the more prominent or popular applications, by downloads, voting or whatever metric is determined to be appropriate, and buy a some adwords or other advertising for the chosen software.  You could have it point to landing pages not only geared toward getting them the software in easy and uncluttered manner, but also exhort the benefits of DonationCoder and the micro-transaction model the site runs on.

I personally thought the idea of self-micro-financed software/forum site to be one of the main drivers to getting my wallet out of my pocket.  The signal-to-noise ratio of this forum is absolutely fantastic.  This gives the opportunity to not only get them using the software, but also to become aware of the community behind the product.  A lot of the software on this site is geared to those who are computer literate.  Those individuals I believe will be enticed by the mission statement of the site, as I was, when you get their attention.

Thank you

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59 AM »
^ That's actually a very good idea, IMO.  I know people have a lot against Adwords, but what about another advertising engine?  I saw one that was highly recommended for transparency and the general awareness of the company- though of course I can't find it now.  I think it was discussed here before...

UPDATE: Project Wonderful is what I was referring to - http://www.projectwonderful.com.  I can't currently get to it, though... not sure if my ABP is being too zealous or not.

It's discussed here, and on App's blog post here.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:08 AM by wraith808 »