topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2011 :: The Event Closes  (Read 40357 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2011 :: The Event Closes
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:53 AM »
DonationCoder's
New Year
Software Celebration

UpdateGraphic - Cody.png

Welcome to DonationCoder's month long Super Celebration of Software!

N.A.N.Y. 2011
NANY '11 has closed and we're busily going through the entries with a fine tooth comb to package them up for the grand unveiling toward the end of January 2011. In the meantime you can see all the Entries on the NANY 2011 board.

We tried something new with this year's NANY: in an effort to maximise the fun and productivity of the event we decided to start NANY midway through the year giving the coders the ability to start the process early and aim to build a substantial new project. And it's certainly been exciting to see activity increase on the NANY board through the year. Many coders posted Teasers both to whet the appetites of the members and to get feedback on their projects.

NANY Numbers 4.png

The end of the year is often a hectic time, which only increases the challenge to complete the NANY Entry. Some Pledges have been fulfilled early whilst others have had to be withdrawn due to other commitments and other Pledges have remained open or not progressed past the Teaser stage but will hopefully be developed later.

From my perspective NANY 2011 has been a wonderful success that has allowed greater flexibility in the Event. 47 Pledges through the year is huge, and to get 31 completed NANY's is an awesome achievement that the DC community can be very proud about!

Releases

Teasers (Unfinished - though look out for updates and late completions)

Pledges (Unfinished)

Withdrawn Pledges

Huge Software Give-a-way

As part of the New Year Celebration we've been joined by some very generous software developers who are offering full licenses to their professional programmes! This software has been specially selected to enable our hard working coders (and their helpers) to produce high quality packages.

More details will be posted in the next couple of days...

A Word About DonationCoder

DonationCoder.com is a site for people who love computer software, and like the idea of supporting each other's work through donations - it's funded entirely by individuals who join the site. Since its founding in 2005, the site has grown steadily and has well over 200,000 registered members from around the world. Of course it's free to sign up at our site and join in on the community forums. Our DonationCredits system was designed to make it as easy as possible for users to make small donations to specific authors and fellow site members (read more about our DonationCredits here: https://www.donationcoder.com/Donate/Credits.php).

The programmers at DonationCoder.com are dedicated to providing professional quality software and professional quality support; other DonationCoder.com members are active in the forums reviewing and discussing all types of computer and software issues.

The New Apps for the New Year event was started as a fun way of celebrating the New Year. Dubbed NANY (New Apps for the New Year), this experiment has become a yearly tradition on the site, and represents the playful and generous spirit of the site and the people who visit it.  The event celebrates the joy of programming and is open to coders of any ability, whether they are regular members of the site or not.  All participants receive a mug featuring our beloved bird/duck mascot Cody -- there are no winners or losers.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:52 PM by Perry Mowbray »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 :: The Event Closes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Just wanted to add a huge THANK YOU to the DC community for helping make this year's NANY another amazing experience... and success!!

I think the new (longer) format worked well, certainly 47 Pledges over the event is an amazing number. 50% conversion rate (Pledges -> Releases) is maybe a little less than what I thought... but maybe that was due to the longer format too (longer time = bigger applications = more time for other things to impose: that was my problem) -- I'd be interested to hear your experiences  :)

Although the Event has closed many entrants will continue to update their Entry, and the Teasers that didn't get to the Release stage by 1/1/11 hopefully will get finished in due course (mine included  :-[ )

We've got a great month ahead of us with lots of NANY's to keep us busy and a huge Software Give-Away!! Hope you enjoy it  :Thmbsup:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:46 AM »
If we had started NANY at the same time we did in past years, we would have been less at least the 2 pledges from me. I just could not do anything this year.

I wouldn't look at the number of pledges at all and just concentrate on the number and quality of the resulting apps and compare that to years past.

And there is still a good chance the uncompleted apps and withdrawn pledges may result in apps at some point in the future, so while they can't be counted in the Jan 1 batch, they could be worth considering as a partial success somewhere down the line.

All in all, I think this year was great. A lot of interesting and useful stuff here.

Congrats to everyone and thank you for all your hard work!

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:56 AM »
And there is still a good chance the uncompleted apps and withdrawn pledges may result in apps at some point in the future, so while they can't be counted in the Jan 1 batch, they could be worth considering as a partial success somewhere down the line.

I definitely agree -- I didn't mean to exclude the Pledges and Teasers from "Success". A lot of work and thinking goes into a Pledge (let alone a Beta Teaser) which is not a waste and will more often than not find some sort of outcome in the future.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 12:45 PM »
A "NANY" installer would be interesting. Something to install all NANY software.

But that's probably a bad idea unless people all create an installer that installs to */NANY 2011/author/program name.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:54 PM »
OMG, OMG, I'm late! I thought y'all would be asleep for like 48 hours after the mad partying, and no-one would notice! Well anyway, I'll have the initial release within today, i.e. before midnight (midnight PST, that is). No fair counting by Australian time :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:03 PM »
OMG, OMG, I'm late! I thought y'all would be asleep for like 48 hours after the mad partying, and no-one would notice! Well anyway, I'll have the initial release within today, i.e. before midnight (midnight PST, that is). No fair counting by Australian time :)

Dude... It's 6am here... On Jan. 2. You missed by a long shot~! :D :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 01:15 PM »
A "NANY" installer would be interesting. Something to install all NANY software.

But that's probably a bad idea unless people all create an installer that installs to */NANY 2011/author/program name.
Hm, that's actually quite a Good Idea (tm), I really feel for a pledge for NANY 2012 on this one :-*

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Anything submitted in the next 24 hours or so should be fine -- we dont have to be so strict :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 02:01 PM »
I have found the entires in this year's NANY to be particularly interesting, and the participants equally so.  It was very fun watching everyone who participated.

As usual i found it simultaneously stressful and rewarding to participate.  There is *NOTHING* like a deadline to focus the mind and force you to get stuff finished.  Often a deadline is the only thing that can turn an idea into a real product.

For those who didn't participate, or pledged and couldn't finish, don't let it get you down, but redouble your efforts to complete something in the coming year and get an early jump on NANY 2012.

Soon we will begin the process of sending out the amazing Cody NANY Mugs to all completing participants with Nudone's amazing artwork.. stay tuned!

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:41 PM »
NANY is awesome, NANY is great, give us more NANY! (Waiting ~363 days is going to be a pain though...)

I must say, the software giveaway is an awesome surprise I hadn't at all counted on! :) Thanks for setting that deal up for us! :-*

One question though... why several softwares with the same/similar purposes? For example, I don't know the difference between 'Documentation Authoring' and 'Help Authoring', and the two screenrecording applications also seem like one too many. While I know Axialis (I actually used the trial for some of my minor icon adjustment fiddling in JottiQ), I don't know the other nor its purpose all that well. Of course, choice is always great - I just think more variety would also have been great.

Then again, I'll probably get yelled at for not knowing most of the apps in detail, so maybe they're far more different than the two-word descriptions so far make me think they are. :)

P.S.: Kindly cease your manhandling of my first NANY app; Cautomaton is written without an i. :tellme: :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:44 PM by worstje »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 06:45 PM »
No fair counting by Australian time :)

Actually in past NANY's I made it the last New Year's Day second on Earth (just before the date line, so after USA)... but we're being less strict about lots of things this year, so it's not a huge drama...

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 06:51 PM »
NANY is awesome, NANY is great, give us more NANY! (Waiting ~363 days is going to be a pain though...)

Well, next year (at this stage) will probably be similar to this year... so it's more like 180 days  :P

I must say, the software giveaway is an awesome surprise I hadn't at all counted on! :) Thanks for setting that deal up for us! :-*

One question though... why several softwares with the same/similar purposes?

They all do something slightly different and in a different way and everyone's likes are different... as with all the give-aways it's beneficial to download a trial and see which one works best for you  :)

P.S.: Kindly cease your manhandling of my first NANY app; Cautomaton is written without an i. :tellme: :D

:-[ Humble apologies... fixed  :Thmbsup:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 06:55 PM »

I was originally hoping to be able to use dcUpdater to do the job. Still could I guess, but I was hoping for groups in dcUpdater (so you could select "NANY 11")

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 07:05 PM »
I think watching screencasts will satisfy most people who want to see all of the entries in action, and then be able to pick one or two to install.

Which brings us back to the screencasts..

This is the LAST CALL for someone else to volunteer to make short (couple of minutes) screencast of each NANY application.  It's a big job, but then the reward is the thanks of all of DC, and a free copy of the amazing Camtasia software program for recording screencasts.

If someone does want to volunteer, you must have already had some experience creating screencasts, and be able to do a reasonably good and fast job at making them.  Contact Perry or me if you are interested.  If no one volunteers I will have to do it again this year (last year's screencasts here).

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Anything submitted in the next 24 hours or so should be fine -- we dont have to be so strict :)

Mouser, thank you for being so unstrict :-) I have just posted the first release to the thread.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 07:39 PM »

Mouser, thank you for being so unstrict :-) I have just posted the first release to the thread.

:Thmbsup:  That's what I like to see!! Thanks: am playing with it now...

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 08:02 PM »
29 Releases!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 08:55 PM »
This has been a stupendous NANY -- due in no small measure to Perry's steady hand.
Let's have a cheer and a toast for Perry Mowbray!!!

HIP HIP HOORAY!
 :beerchug:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Actually, I thought this year was one of my poorer efforts  :-[ (that'll teach me to try to do an Entry and Moderate...)

kamahl

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Apologies for being late!  NetLaunch 1.0 is now up. :Thmbsup:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 10:54 PM »
Apologies for being late!  NetLaunch 1.0 is now up. :Thmbsup:

No Apologies needed: You're #31  :Thmbsup:

31 Releases who can believe it???  :-* :-*

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Awesome work everyone, programmers and organizers alike! There are a lot of awesome and useful entries this year. Selfishly speaking I think there are more entries of direct use/interest to me than last year. :D

- Oshyan

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Many thanks to Perry, Mouser, and all the participants!  :up:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 06:33 AM »
Where can I post next year's pledge?  ;)

But I also hereby undertake to continue to support, bug fix and improve my existing NANY projects  :-[