topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Need a New Mouse  (Read 26338 times)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need a New Mouse
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 04:59 AM »
There must be something wrong with your mouse. Mine lasts a week or more. I'm using it five days a week 8 hours a day for work.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 05:00 AM »
There must be something wrong with your mouse. Mine lasts a week or more. I'm using it five days a week 8 hours a day for work.

Logitech? The MX or M950?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 05:47 AM »
I am surprised that the battery does't last more than a day - most of the reviews I've seen on that mouse they get approx 4 or more days, (still way short of the 3 months I think they claim on the pack).

Maybe that's a consequence of using only one battery ?

Maybe it's just that battery ?

Some rechargeables are crap, have you tried another ?

A few of my LAN night friends use Logitech MX Revolution and usually get a month or more out of a set of batteries.

The MS 5000 Bluetooth claims 6 month battery life and if I put a decent set of alkaline in, I'd probably believe them.  The rechargeables certainly last a fair amount of time.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 06:01 AM »
I'm so used to companies sticking in proprietary batteries that I never even checked... It takes AAs. Sigh... Isn't that pathetic?

Anyways, I've replaced the battery with an alkaline. We'll see how it goes now. :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 07:33 AM »
Jury is in...
Not happy with the battery life. It doesn't last a day.
Being as I'm using it on my desktop, I should have gone with the wired one.
Other than that, it's good. The battery life just isn't there though. But that's a common problem across all devices.
Verdict: Good mouse. Batteries suck. All batteries suck.

in 2007 i wrote a long rant against logitech (internal rechargeable battery) mouse and vowed never to use one again.
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10688.0

i've been using a microsoft intellimouse wireless that takes standard AA batteries, and they seem to last a long time.  i'm one of those people who found using a wired mouse to be hell.

finding a wireless mouse with good battery life is very important.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 07:42 AM »
in 2007 i wrote a long rant against logitech (internal rechargeable battery) mouse and vowed never to use one again.
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10688.0

i've been using a microsoft intellimouse wireless that takes standard AA batteries, and they seem to last a long time.  i'm one of those people who found using a wired mouse to be hell.

finding a wireless mouse with good battery life is very important.

ps. ok you messed up criminally insane rechargeable-loving freaks can post your replies now telling me how wrong i am.  :-\

Hahahaha~!

Reminds me about how much I still hate wires...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 10:00 AM »
I've never been a fan of wireless devices as I frequently have far too many things on my mind to be trying to remember to charge a slew of widgets. Hard wired = powered at all times and ready for input. Any device that (isn't tethered) can be walked off with, can be lost, and that's hardly convenient IMO).

I've used these Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical for years. They're cheap, simple, require no accessory software, and just work regardless of what machine/OS I connect them to.

I tend to appreciate things that really are effectively idiot simple.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 10:46 AM »
I've never been a fan of wireless devices as I frequently have far too many things on my mind to be trying to remember to charge a slew of widgets. Hard wired = powered at all times and ready for input. Any device that (isn't tethered) can be walked off with, can be lost, and that's hardly convenient IMO).

I've used these Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical for years. They're cheap, simple, require no accessory software, and just work regardless of what machine/OS I connect them to.

I tend to appreciate things that really are effectively idiot simple.

I hear you. I've avoided wireless as much as possible up until this year. I simply found them flaky and unreliable.

For mice, I resisted optical mice as long as possible as I found that a good Microsoft ball mouse was simply FAR superior in every way. Granted, they need cleaning, but that's easy. I still find optical mouse technology is seriously lacking in comparison to ball mice, which just aren't available anymore. :(

Back to wireless -- I still don't like it much. The telcos here in Australia throw in an extra dose of incompetence for all things Internet. 3G barely works on the Optus or Vodaphone networks (haven't tried Telus) if at all. In Korea they even have DMB - Digital Multimedia Broadcast -- You can watch TV on your phone. And it works. But they also have a far denser population and infrastructure can be setup better -- Australia is too big to setup infrastructure of that quality. Still, you'd think that 3G would work properly in major population centers like Melbourne. Sigh... I'm ranting again...

For wireless routers... Sigh... Same disappointment. Slow. Not nearly the speeds they promise. Yet another disappointment.

On an uncharacteristic note... My Apple keyboard and mouse are both wireless and actually work pretty well, better than anything else on my Mac anyways. No complaints about that.

My HTC phone... well... the wireless works with Wi-Fi, but the Vodaphone 3G is beyond useless.

Still, the wire situation on the desk is pretty much out of control, so... Wireless mouse it is.

I hope that in the not too distant future wireless technologies mature enough to be comparable to wired - including reliability.

OkRob

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 03:08 PM »
I'm surprised your batteries died so quickly, Renegade. I have used an MX Revolution for a couple years and I love it. The batteries last about a week if I don't charge it before then and I typically use it probably 5-6 hours a day.

I also have a VX Revolution I use at work and the batteries in it last several months, using it well over 40 hours a week there and I'm using it constantly when in my office. I think I like the VX model more than any mouse I have ever used and I have used a lot.

I was wanting another VX Revolution since I like it so well so I just bought what appears to be the next generation of it, the Logitech M705 Marathon Mouse. I'm using it on my home desktop now and so far after having it about 4 days I am very pleased with it as well. They advertise that the batteries in it should last 3 years! We'll see about that.

I am particularly fond of the hyper-scrolling on all of the mice I mention above. I loved it from the first day I used the MX Revolution and I think I will regret ever using anything that does not have it now.

I also prefer Logitech models over others I have used. I have used some Microsoft mice but I really prefer the Logitech models over them. I don't think I'd ever be happy going back to a wired mouse since I have used wireless for so long now.

Interesting reading here though on everyone's preferences.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Back to wireless -- I still don't like it much. The telcos here in Australia throw in an extra dose of incompetence for all things Internet. 3G barely works on the Optus or Vodaphone networks (haven't tried Telus) if at all.

IIRC, Telstra currently has the best 3G, (or NextG as they call it), network in Australia.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Back to wireless -- I still don't like it much. The telcos here in Australia throw in an extra dose of incompetence for all things Internet. 3G barely works on the Optus or Vodaphone networks (haven't tried Telus) if at all.

IIRC, Telstra currently has the best 3G, (or NextG as they call it), network in Australia.

That's what I've heard. They didn't have the HTC Desire HD when I wanted to buy, so I stayed with Vodaphone. I don't know how good they are though. Never used a Telstra phone. They certainly can't be worse than Optus though~! :D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 01:08 AM »
That's what I've heard. They didn't have the HTC Desire HD when I wanted to buy, so I stayed with Vodaphone. I don't know how good they are though. Never used a Telstra phone. They certainly can't be worse than Optus though~! :D

I've always been with Telstra, (well since I worked for them 13 years ago), and at only $5/month I ain't going to change any time soon.

:D

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 04:48 AM »
The cool thing about the MX revolution is (and I've already mentioned that), when it runs out of juice, the cable to charge it plugs in right at the front, where the cable of a non-wireless mouse goes. It just feels like a wired mouse then, while you charge it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 05:59 AM »
I've always been with Telstra, (well since I worked for them 13 years ago), and at only $5/month I ain't going to change any time soon.

:D

$5??????????

WOW! Yeah... I'd stick with that too~! :D

The cool thing about the MX revolution is (and I've already mentioned that), when it runs out of juice, the cable to charge it plugs in right at the front, where the cable of a non-wireless mouse goes. It just feels like a wired mouse then, while you charge it.

I suppose that the rechargeable battery that came with it is simply garbage, because it wouldn't hold a charge for a day. I'm using alkaline now, but I suppose at some point it would make sense to get a decent rechargeable one.

I was just very surprised that a new battery would die after a few hours like that. Meh... Made in China and meant to be thrown out quickly... Consumer economy and all that... blah blah blah...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 11:04 AM »

That's a HUGE improvement and very clever; the ones that kill me are the ones that have to "dock" to recharge, and so can't be used at all while recharging.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:08 AM by mouser »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 12:46 PM »
I've got a Logitech MX 1000 (M-RAG97) laser mouse that I've had for something like 5+ years now. Bought it back in the days when I was still willing to shell out $$$ pursuing the ultimate pointing device. (Now I mostly use Microsoft, with my current fav being their (~$35) Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000se.) The MX 1000 holds a charge for what seems like forever despite being in very regular use. I sometimes even forget to dock it for a few days, and it still hangs in there. Charges very quickly too.

I do worry about the batteries eventually going south. But I found this video up on YouTube that walks you through a battery replacement without damaging the thing - which is easier to do than you might think.

So (knock wood) this expensive mouse will remain in service for a very long time to come.

Wonder if the new Logitech product lineup is as good as this generation was.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:49 PM by 40hz »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 02:51 PM »
That's a HUGE improvement and very clever; the ones that kill me are the ones that have to "dock" to recharge, and so can't be used at all while recharging.
That was one of the reasons for me to add a wired mouse placed on the 'other' side of my keyboard, and training myself into using it with the hand/arm on that side as well. It took a few weeks, but I now can use a computer even if my 'good' arm would be disabled/unavailable for a while.
Another reason was the avoidance of RSI by switching arm-usage.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 03:55 AM »
That's what I've heard. They didn't have the HTC Desire HD when I wanted to buy, so I stayed with Vodaphone.

Maybe you shouldn't have ;)

Vodafone records leaked onto Internet

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 04:39 AM »
That's what I've heard. They didn't have the HTC Desire HD when I wanted to buy, so I stayed with Vodaphone.

Maybe you shouldn't have ;)

Vodafone records leaked onto Internet

Sigh... yeah... Sometimes I really hate this place... That's just the tip of the iceberg with Vodaphone and telecos here in general... :(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 08:08 AM »
Jury is in...

Not happy with the battery life. It doesn't last a day.

Being as I'm using it on my desktop, I should have gone with the wired one.

Other than that, it's good. The battery life just isn't there though. But that's a common problem across all devices.

Verdict: Good mouse. Batteries suck. All batteries suck.

New Verdict: Good mouse. Good battery.

I ran out of regular alkaline batteries, and stuck in the rechargeable battery.

It was very odd. Before the battery died very quickly. Now, I get days out of it. Not sure how long as I've not been really counting, but it's damn good.

I think the battery needed the charge to completely drain or something funky. God knows. But it works now.

If anyone knows how modern rechargeable batteries work, do you have any hints as to what happened?

In any event... Just wanted to set that straight.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 06:15 PM »
If anyone knows how modern rechargeable batteries work, do you have any hints as to what happened?

Charging NiCad and NiMH requires a special kind of voodoo, you can read about it here.

Does the battery charge 'in mouse', ie. plug a lead into a USB port and charge it that way?

If so, I'd recommend using a decent dedicated charger instead as I've never found a inbuilt charger in a mouse, (or in any consumer equipment), to be anywhere near as good.

What I use is one of these: MAHA MH-C401FS - arguably one of the best AAA/AA chargers around.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Yes. The mouse recharges through USB, which is very convenient.

Thanks for the link!

As for a dedicated charger, sigh... too many cables already.

3 monitors = 3 power cables & 3 video cables
2 computers
1 laptop
printers, keyboards, mice, speakers, microphone, volume cables, external storage devices... it's nuts. I hate wires (see above).

I'm at the point where I'll do just about anything to eliminate cables.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 09:45 PM »
Yes. The mouse recharges through USB, which is very convenient.

It was very convenient on the wireless mouse I used to have but the rechargeables last nowhere near their expected life cycle.

Oddly enough it doesn't have to sit next to the computer, it could be in the lounge charging the remote batteries, it the kitchen, in the car, etc.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 10:48 PM »

Oddly enough it doesn't have to sit next to the computer, it could be in the lounge charging the remote batteries, it the kitchen, in the car, etc.

I hear you, but...

This place is a bit older (1960~80 I think) and not designed very well (1 phone jack). As such, electrical outlets aren't really positioned conveniently or in sufficient numbers. As such, other outlets suffer from the same sort of problems. Inconvenient locations leave some empty, while others have several appliances plugged in.

Oh, but to live in the 21st century...

Doosan E&C has some nice living space designs.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Heres a pretty cool mouse:

Full Batteries:
real-mouse.jpg