topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How many times do I have to update my mutherf---ing Flash??  (Read 15037 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ever since 10.1 was released, I am getting notifications to update Flash all over the place.  My home pc, my work pc, friends pc's, all my laptops.  And I swear i've updated all of them, even though I'm not really keeping track.  I just updated firefox, and after it reloads, it tells me that firefox is updated, but flash isn't.  Now, I know for sure I've updated my home PC, so I don't understand.  Either Adobe keeps updating Flash with weekly builds, or there is something wrong here.  Of course, they give no easy indication what version you are using and what the latest one is, nor when the last time you updated was.  All I know is I'd like to just stop hearing about my fucking flash being out of date.  I don't give a shit anymore.  if it's out of date, so be it...I don't want to hear about it until there's an issue I have to fix or something.  Now they're using version updates as an advertising method.  And since it's not a real ad, it makes users timid about turning it "off" because it's masked as a security risk or deadly issue.  I'm so sick of it all...

In my current condition, if I were the java update, I'd be afraid to show my face right about now.  I'd probably go nuclear on its ass.  yeah Java, you're next...don't be poking your head out anytime soon buddy.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How many times do I have to update my mutherf---ing Flash??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58 PM »
yeah Java, you're next...don't be poking your head out anytime soon buddy.
;D ;D ;D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 09:03 PM »
on top of updates, Adobe also bundle Norton Security Scan which users have to opt-out else they end up with duplicate anti-malware software fighting for resources on the PC.. widespread usage of HTML5 can't come soon enough.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:06 PM »
Your not the only one having this, I thought my computer was being stupid for the past few weeks, even as we speak, theres an icon sitting on my taskbar awaiting my approval to update it.

I have no idea if its just the same update over and over and over, and seeing as theres no real indication of wtf version im using, or wtf version they are giving me, I guess you kinda have to trust, or ignore it.

Nothing seems to have broken in the past few days from not updating it though :P

(Oh, and Javas little teacup is also sitting down there moaning about an update...pretty sure i did that yesterday?)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 11:39 PM »
widespread usage of HTML5 can't come soon enough.

Was going to type this  :Thmbsup:

def

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:40 AM »
Maybe you already know this, but just in case: Adobe's web page Flash Player Version Check is a quick way to identify both the currently installed version and the newest available one.

Other ways of finding out the installed version of Flash Player are cumbersome IMHO.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 03:14 AM »
You'll have to update flash and java until all the security flaws have been patched up.

Oh, wait... :-\
- carpe noctem

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 05:29 AM »
At least with Java you can go into the java control panel and turn off the update feature.  Its too bad that flash can't do the same.  But then you won't get the security updates either.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21 AM »
Relax. :)
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 10:43 AM »
If you find that it's caught in an endless loop of updating to the latest version and you already have the latest installed (do the flash player version check linked to earlier in this thread and find out first), you could try uninstalling it completely and reinstalling it. That often is all that is needed to get it to behave normally again.

(Same with Java if it goes into an endless upgrade loop)

widgewunner

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:54 AM »
That, and there are two different flash programs needing update - the one for IE and the one for FF and Opera. The auto-update program gets its claws into the very heart of the OS occasionally running its pop-up during the computer boot process. Also, flash installs itself not into \Program Files\ like a regular app, but rather into the \Windows\system32\Macromed folder.

I hate adobe.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 12:14 PM »
That, and there are two different flash programs needing update - the one for IE and the one for FF and Opera. The auto-update program gets its claws into the very heart of the OS occasionally running its pop-up during the computer boot process. Also, flash installs itself not into \Program Files\ like a regular app, but rather into the \Windows\system32\Macromed folder.

I hate adobe.
Thanks for the info.  Now I hate flash even more.  I've never been a fan of Flash, despite it's uses.  I hate how it's even become a "thing".  It's not like it's a tool that we use.  It's just a stupid thing that displays content for us on websites.  I don't know why we have to deal with it so much.  It's like having notifications and updates for html standard updates and stuff.  I don't care...nobody cares.
The only time I ever actually needed to know something about flash was when I had to upload videos to youtube or my website, and I learned about flv files.  And even then, I thought it was lame that videos had to be converted to flv to put on a website.  I know that's a stupid complaint since there needs to be some standard for animation and videos on websites.  I just don't like software like Flash.  not because of what function it serves, but because of the way they go about it.  They've created a nuisance to us just so we have to say "flash" a million times a day, so they become very popular.  This is why everyone complains about windows stuff...it's because of the shitty things they run into like flash, java, needless driver issues, overly-complicated interfaces.  There's absolutely no good reason why all of us basic users of Windows should be dealing with Flash issues this much.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Haha thanks stephen!  That's how you lighten the mood up!  I've been seeing that flash dialog a lot lately also!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 08:02 PM »
How about this one?

In Ubuntu if I try to watch YouTube videos, YouTube tells me I need to update to the latest Flash player, but clicking the link to Adobe's website I am informed that Chromium comes with the latest version of Flash installed. Huh?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 11:59 PM »
How about this one?

In Ubuntu if I try to watch YouTube videos, YouTube tells me I need to update to the latest Flash player, but clicking the link to Adobe's website I am informed that Chromium comes with the latest version of Flash installed. Huh?
Sheesh.  You know, I'm very sensitive about the impressions I give off about myself: as you know, I'll come off as a whining, irritable, negative, etc...kind of person.  And it's true, I can't deny it.  But I can't stop myself from thinking through all this stuff, and the more I learn and discover, the more AARRGH I get!  Haha...I know...and these forums get me even more so because I have to social inhibitions...so i feel I'm just ranting left and right.  Again, i want to be a problem solver...not a whine...I'm working on it.

Anyway...back to the point.  So I'm thinking through this flash stuff and asking: what is really the problem here?  What is the annoying thing and what is Adobe really trying to accomplish here?  Why did Flash become this thing it has become?  An the long and the short of it is...they have gotten the word "Flash" into everyone's head, geek or not, and that's all they need.  Because Flash isn't really a product.  it's not something that we would go out and buy.  Like, we don't go out and buy mp3 decoders, or other decoders, or html, you know?  So, very cleverly, they've made it very "normal" for people to treat Flash like it's a regular piece of software, when it's really just a tool to show website content.  And because it's so widespread, you HAVE to have it.  So they've made sure we see Flash and say Flash all the time.  Now, everyone knows Flash as much as they know Windows, Mac, Internet Explorer, etc.  You don't see Ajax popping it's head out all over the place.  My friends won't know what Ajax is.
Anyway, good job Adobe.  Way to nag us into popularity.  it's like the annoying boy who goes after the girl but has zero charm and just nags her until she gives in.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 01:40 AM »
 ;D maybe Jobs and his cronies are onto something, eh?!

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 10:09 AM »
It's just effective marketing, which is about manipulating minds (a good product just makes that easier but is plainly not required).  The system selects mostly by money, which is accumulated mostly by effective marketing.

But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Why don't you just turn off the automatic updates?

http://www.macromedi...tings_manager05.html

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Why don't you just turn off the automatic updates?

http://www.macromedi...tings_manager05.html
because I've turned it off in the past.  Then, one day, there's a stupid error out of the blue.  Then you have to reinstall/uninstall a few times until everything gets working.  Then you have to remember, 'Oh, I have to go back and turn off updates again" because, of course, as soon as you reinstall, the updates will be back on.  And, of course, there's no obvious way to change the setting.  You change it through their website?  How weird is that?  Yeah...they didn't do that intentionally. sure.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 03:01 PM »
In fairness, automatic updates of java and flash are a really, really good idea considering the track record of exploits. Just annoying that it's not streamlined with Windows Update, but requires the use of individual installers. Would be really nice if MS let 3rd party developers into Windows Update...
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 03:05 PM »
In fairness, automatic updates of java and flash are a really, really good idea considering the track record of exploits. Just annoying that it's not streamlined with Windows Update, but requires the use of individual installers. Would be really nice if MS let 3rd party developers into Windows Update...
That's true.  I have no problem with the updates themselves.  It's the WAY it updates that I don't like.  And because this kind of experience is typical, I'm actually afraid of updating.  Because I know it's working fine before the update.  Then you update, and all of a sudden there are problems.  Your browser starts saying flash is not installed, but it is.  Then you reinstall.  Then you uninstall.  rinse. repeat.  You look for solutions online.  it's all one big headache.  that's the REAL reason why i turn off automatic updates.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 03:10 PM »
It's odd... since reading (and posting in) this thread, it occurred to me to check my version of Flash and my update settings. It's up to date and automatic updates for it are enabled. I've had no trouble with this whatsoever on Vista or XP 32-bit and 7 64-bit. Luck of the draw, I guess?!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 03:23 PM »
It's odd... since reading (and posting in) this thread, it occurred to me to check my version of Flash and my update settings. It's up to date and automatic updates for it are enabled. I've had no trouble with this whatsoever on Vista or XP 32-bit and 7 64-bit. Luck of the draw, I guess?!
yeah, you might just be lucky.  I saw it on my computer.  Fine. that was ok because I fiddle around with my machine so much.  But then I saw it on everyone's computers.  My sister, my friend, i was looking over someone's shoulder at work and saw it...yeah, i would say you are the exception more so than the rule.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 03:29 PM »
If you don't reboot very often (I don't) you don't get the Flash update prompt very often.

I hate Flash on general principals, it's just a lazy way of adding gaudy crap to a site that didn't need to be there in the first place.

Oooo an animated banner on the top of a page - That's distracting as hell and makes my eyes try to cross vertically.