topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Request: Facebook Sharing  (Read 9342 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Request: Facebook Sharing
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:19 AM »
I think ive asked about this before...I know its possible, and ffs add it (lol) ... DC honestly needs a Facebook Like button and Sharing Link on each page...would make the site much more visible to the world, and make it much easier when I want to share a post with a friend on facebook (IE: "Check my profile, its the last link i shared")

Would anybody else use this utility or am I P**sing in the wind (so to speak)?
 :-*

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Request: Facebook Sharing
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:35 AM »
+1 for that.

There are numerous times when I'd like to post a DC thread to FB. It's a regular occurrence, or non-occurrence as the case may be.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:36 AM »
Preeeeeety darn sure ive mentioned this before to Mr Mouse :P

Facebook Like Mod: http://custom.simple...s/index.php?mod=2543
Facebook Sharing Mod: http://custom.simple...s/index.php?mod=1315
Facebook Connect Mod: http://custom.simple...s/index.php?mod=2322

Just for randomness: http://custom.simple...s/index.php?mod=1890
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:42 AM by Stephen66515 »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:46 AM »
It doesn't have everything on DC, but we do have a fan page with all the threads that are featured on the blog.

http://www.facebook....an-Page/324161622488

Like it, follow it, share the posts with your friends!

Another thing you can do is connect your personal DC feed to autopost to your wall whenever you make a post here. There are a few ways to do that. You can use Friendfeed and the friendfeed facebook app like I do, or something like Social RSS

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:53 AM »
Sorta defies the point of it App,  the reason I request this, is for ease of use, 1 button shares what I wanna share, not everything that hits the blog, or the fan page (Which, I obviously am aware of lol)

I dont always wanna share the stuff I post, sometime I will see something I think my Facebook family would enjoy, and wish there was a "Share" or "Like" button to show them I enjoyed it, so they should read it.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 03:10 AM »
No offense but these share button usually drives traffic away from site. Simple "like" button which shares the page is okay. But this social sharing is turning me off because it always drives traffic away from me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 06:21 AM »
i think we used to have a button for this.. seems like it would be worth an experiment adding it back, at least for a short time -- something really low key and not at all in your face.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 02:55 PM »
i think we used to have a button for this.. seems like it would be worth an experiment adding it back, at least for a short time -- something really low key and not at all in your face.

Go for the Facebook Like button then

Or perhaps the sharing mod instead of the "Social Bookmark The Page" link at the bottom.

Also, Facebook Connect may actually be a good platform for here, as it will remove the need for new users to actually sign-up and participate.  Instead they can simply click "Connect with Facebook" and then have thier account linked onto here so they can take part in the forum.

Creating a forum post specifically for these people highlighting the benefits of being a member of DC may actually bring a whole lot more people here.

Think of a pyramid, if one person hits 'Like' on a post, that gets posted to thier facebook profile, if they have 500 friends and 5 of those look at the link and also click like after they have connected with DC, they will also share the link with all their friends, if they all have 500 friends, thats another 25 members just from 1 member, but those additional 25 will each bring in 5 each, being 125, then another 5 each, and so on and so forth...this is all from 1 facebook like button.

Not to sound too much like a fanboi but Facebook is one of the biggest platforms for free advertising, as well as paid, and in fact, people sharing links on thier profile, is how things go viral.  Personally, I think I have clicked the whole of 3 paid advertisements on Facebook, but I have clicked on thousands upon thousands of links that are shown on peoples profiles, simply because they said they liked it, and knowing I have roughly the same taste in content as these people, I clicked it seeing if it was of interest to me.  This has introduced me to countless websites that i still visit each day, and has let me stumble accross an amazing amount of information accross my time online.

**edit**

Forgot to mention, the Facebook Connect utility has saved me hours of time registering on websites that require you to sign-in to view posts and/or reply to things I enjoyed reading or needed more information about.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 02:58 PM by Stephen66515 »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:35 PM »

I would want it right beside the "Quote" link text. You could then FB directly to a specific post. But, that's definitely more "in your face". :(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 06:46 PM »
How is it 'in your face'?  The button is tiny lol

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 06:47 PM »
No offense but these share button usually drives traffic away from site. Simple "like" button which shares the page is okay. But this social sharing is turning me off because it always drives traffic away from me.

How does it drive traffic 'away' from you? - Most share buttons, including FB, just open up a prompt window, ask you to confirm u clcked it, and then you are returned to the page you was on, safe in the knowledge that the information you wanted to share, is now on your social networking profiles.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 08:58 PM »
I think the best thing would be something like an AddToAny or AddThis button, kind of like what you're doing with the eKstreme link at the bottom but more user friendly and more visible. I would suggest that the phrase "social bookmark this page" doesn't mean much to most people, it sounds a bit marketing guru-ese and not something I would want to click.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Please, please, please, don’t put one of those little compact lines that expand into a giant window full of "sharing" links and then won't close and have no "X" to close them manually!!! I hate them!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 11:25 PM »
BTW, I originally joined Facebook because I was asked here to be a member of a software group on Facebook. So I joined and unfortunately not much ever really came of that. If I can find that post I'll put a link here.

Jim

PS - This is close anyway.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:38 PM by J-Mac »

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Please, please, please, don’t put one of those little compact lines that expand into a giant window full of "sharing" links and then won't close and have no "X" to close them manually!!! I hate them!

Jim

Facebook Like Button ::  Click Like...no popups happen, all that happens is that it magically apprears on your facebook wall for all to see :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Thanks for the SimpleMachines Forum mod links Stephen.. There is also: http://custom.simple...s/index.php?mod=2111
Now i think the thing to do is decide which mod to use.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Seeing as the share mod contains a like button, go for that :D

Cpilot

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 06:23 AM »
Facebook seems to have a lot of privacy issues.
Facebook in Privacy Breach
Many of the most popular applications, or "apps," on the social-networking site Facebook Inc. have been transmitting identifying information—in effect, providing access to people's names and, in some cases, their friends' names—to dozens of advertising and Internet tracking companies, a Wall Street Journal investigation has found.

The issue affects tens of millions of Facebook app users, including people who set their profiles to Facebook's strictest privacy settings. The practice breaks Facebook's rules, and renews questions about its ability to keep identifiable information about its users' activities secure.

The problem has ties to the growing field of companies that build detailed databases on people in order to track them online—a practice the Journal has been examining in its What They Know series. It's unclear how long the breach was in place. On Sunday, a Facebook spokesman said it is taking steps to "dramatically limit" the exposure of users' personal information.

"A Facebook user ID may be inadvertently shared by a user's Internet browser or by an application," the spokesman said. Knowledge of an ID "does not permit access to anyone's private information on Facebook," he said, adding that the company would introduce new technology to contain the problem identified by the Journal.

~snip~