topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: "VeggieSquares" - Children's Game  (Read 75650 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Pledge: "VeggieWorld" - Children's Game
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 02:48 PM »
I like the screenshot.  The style of the image seems kid-friendly :)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 07:18 PM »
I like the screenshot.  The style of the image seems kid-friendly :)

Thanks, kyrathaba.  The design is not just a cute picture, but a picture of a design that will render some complicated (at least for small children) aspects of gardening mucho simple, but you'll have to wait for prime-time for the details.  ;)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Is there going to any sound in your app?  Voiceovers?  Background music?

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Is there going to any sound in your app?  Voiceovers?  Background music?

Well......

That *was* the plan until I discovered my algorithms went down the tubes (doesn't work).  The upshot is now I have to hard code all the responses.  To give you an idea what I am up against...
  • I only chose 16 "most common" "Veggies"
  • For every Veggie the child(?) places on the screen, I have to run a collision routine on all the other sprites and test for compatibility/incompatibility and then display an apropos response.
  • If the child(?) clicks on any other Veggie, I have to repeat the step above, but with a mod for not presenting the same response to keep from being tedious.
  • Keep in mind THIS only applies to one of each Veggie.  I haven't even broached the necessity for multiple "tomatoes!"  Wooo!  This is FUN!
  • I have some help files prepared, but I have to rewrite to the level of a third to fifth grader.  Fortunately I have one to help me!
  • There's other things like sound, help diagrams, etc., but I need to get back to work.  ;)

Keep the suggestions coming, though.  I DO appreciate them!  :Thmbsup:

Given the amount of work and the shortage of time, I will aim for having a few Veggies done right in a complete app and provide new versions as I polish it.  

Ciao,
Calvin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:12 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Dear NANY 2011,

I may not be able to have your program ready for you.  After intensive work for about three weeks I have somehow overwritten my source file with a short button dialog.  Somehow, the dialog modal was named the same as my source file and when, on closing, I was asked if I wanted to save, I clicked "Yes" without realizing two files in the IDE had the same name.

Please know I will complete the program and offer it ASAP.  I can't disappoint the children(?)!  ;)  Unfortunately, my health has suffered in the late nights and I must get some rest, but who knows... maybe I can pull something off by 2010-12-31 23:59!  :)

Good luck,
~CT

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 12:05 AM »
CodeTrucker, it might not be too late yet! :tellme:

On recent Windows versions when you are using a disk with NTFS, Windows has built in 'past versions' support. Rightclick the file in Explorer, and choose Restore previous versions, or alternatively go to Properties and look at the Previous versions tab.

If might not have your newest changes, but it should have some version of your code at least.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 11:11 AM »
CodeTrucker, it might not be too late yet! :tellme:

On recent Windows versions when you are using a disk with NTFS, Windows has built in 'past versions' support. Rightclick the file in Explorer, and choose Restore previous versions, or alternatively go to Properties and look at the Previous versions tab.

It might not have your newest changes, but it should have some version of your code at least.

Thank you for this tip.  I was not aware this was possible.  I'll look into it and see what I can do.  Do you know anyone who has mastered time travel or at least can suspend it?

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 11:52 AM »
I am afraid I know of nobody like that. :) On my pc, I get results going back upto a few weeks though, so let's be hopeful. Keep us informed, okay? :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 07:06 PM »
now I have to hard code all the responses.  To give you an idea what I am up against...

* I only chose 16 "most common" "Veggies"
    * For every Veggie the child(?) places on the screen, I have to run a collision routine on all the other sprites and test for compatibility/incompatibility and then display an apropos response.
    * If the child(?) clicks on any other Veggie, I have to repeat the step above, but with a mod for not presenting the same response to keep from being tedious.
    * Keep in mind THIS only applies to one of each Veggie.  I haven't even broached the necessity for multiple "tomatoes!"

Hey, Calvin,

What language are you programming in?  Have you built a method (a.k.a. function/subroutine) that takes a Veggie as a parameter, and then decides if there are any sprite collisions?  I was also going to suggest using a Random object to randomize the responses.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Pledge: "VeggieSquares" - Children's Game
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Good suggestions, kyrathaba.  Unfortunately, I am using a language that only one other DC'er uses that I am aware of, but I am seriously thinking of remaking the app in something with better debugging.

PS - Note the new name in the subject line above!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:15 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Were you ever able to save the code that you accidentally overwrote, CodeTRUCKER? I'd love to see this game come into being, even if it won't be possible for NANY 2011 anymore.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: "VeggieSquares" - Children's Game
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Were you ever able to save the code that you accidentally overwrote, CodeTRUCKER? I'd love to see this game come into being, even if it won't be possible for NANY 2011 anymore.

Hi worstje!

Actually, no.  No worries as your suggestion did provoke a recall of the app somewhere else, so I was able to regain about half.  I did submit my "beta" for NANY 2011.  Did it not work?

As far as the app... it *will* live even if it takes a rewrite.  I had been intending on coding again and this was the app I was thinking of when the NANY 2011 just happened to show up!  

Calvin
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:34 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I never even saw the beta! :tellme: Then again, I haven't found the time to actually test stuff either, my own apps have kept my busy. ;)

I will definitely give it a shot one of these days, when time permits me a minute or two. :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 04:38 PM »
I am using a language that only one other DC'er uses that I am aware of

What programming language are you using?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Says it under the entry... IWBASIC

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 01:51 AM »
I have heard some interest in making VeggieSquares platform-independent.  Since the app is now in BASIC and 32bit at that, would Java (Netbeans?/Eclipse?/Komodo?) be a good candidate language to recode my app?  Please understand, I am speaking from a deep well of ignorance, but I have no time constraints, beside NANY finalization (end of Jan.?).

:feedback:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:35 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 03:14 AM »
beside NANY finalization (end of Jan.?).

I know that we're being a little less strict this year, but I think that the end of Jan is going way too far!  ;)

You can of course keep developing your application unrestricted at any time after NANY completes (which it has) -- In fact we'd love it if you did! But for NANY we have to draw the line under the Event at some stage. All the screencasts and evaluations will be done on the version present on New Years Day:

I suppose we should say that while tonight is the deadline to get your NANY submission(s) posted and public, because it will take us a week or two to prepare the final page (and screencast videos, and make a press released, etc.),  participants are welcome to keep improving their programs in the interim.

The requirement is that you must have a working public version submitted tonight, but no one is stopping you from continuing to improve it going forward.

(keep in mind that the screencasts, screenshots, and writeups will be based on the submissions on Jan 1, 2011).
Quote from Re: NANY 2011 :: Official Update Thread

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 07:43 AM »
CodeTrucker, if you have a background in this variant of BASIC, probably the easiest language upgrade (in terms of learning/re-learning) would be Visual Basic for .NET.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 11:27 AM »
beside NANY finalization (end of Jan.?).

I know that we're being a little less strict this year, but I think that the end of Jan is going way too far!  ;)

Whoa!  Now hold on thar, Pardner... Ima thinkin' you dun got th' horse a'fore th' cart!?

All kidding aside, Please note my NANY is already complete (as far as submission is concerned).  See "Last Edit" footer on my NANY page...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:34:40 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

Now given....

You can of course keep developing your application unrestricted at any time after NANY completes (which it has) -- In fact we'd love it if you did! But for NANY we have to draw the line under the Event at some stage. All the screencasts and evaluations will be done on the version present on New Years Day:

I believe I have the ability to replace the existing *.rar with the new improved version as required; in fact, I believe that is encouraged.

FYI - My comment, "... beside end of Jan.?" was based on the following...

I suppose we should say that while tonight is the deadline to get your NANY submission(s) posted and public, because it will take us a week or two to prepare the final page...

Knowing how these things can go, the " end of Jan.?" is not far fetched as a possible time frame to upgrade "VeggieSquares" for public prime time.  You and I both know if things don't go so well as planned the, "...week or two to prepare the final page..." could easily turn into "two or three" or even "three or four," hence my supposition I *might* have until the, "... end of Jan.?" as a possible time opportunity.  I do realize my app will be judged by DC on what was uploaded at the deadline.  No problem here.  Actually, given what I achieved after 40% - 60% of my work was blown away only three days from the deadline, I'm quite happy with what I did submit, even as a beta.

Frankly, I never had any delusions I would win anything, save the coveted Cody Mug!  My interest has always been using the DC publicity as a great platform to get the word out on how important gardening really is and to provide a simple tool that would eliminate the complication and drudgery normally associated with gardening by the masses.  I wanted to make gardening simple and fun!  I think I have achieved that goal.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have get out my trusty "Acme1 Code Polisher" and get to work!

1 - For our non-U.S.A. readers... the "Acme" label was a fictitious company used in the animated cartoons of "Bugs Bunny," "Wile E. Coyote" and others.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:35 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 11:28 AM »
CodeTrucker, if you have a background in this variant of BASIC, probably the easiest language upgrade (in terms of learning/re-learning) would be Visual Basic for .NET.

Hmmm... Is VB.NET cross-platform?  Maybe you missed what I was requesting?  

A little background to frame the discussion...

Most of my coding has been in VB, but when I saw personally what happened to some coder acquaintances of mine when Microsoft canned VB6 and did the .NET thing, I decided I didn't want Redmond dictating my future, which remains a giant question mark, at best.  As a result, I have sought to find and use other BASIC flavors that were not MS products.  After working for a couple of years and given what I just endured in working with IWBASIC (weak help files and a not-so-robust debugger) I am seriously looking at cutting my losses and moving to a more mainstream language that would have a traction and a wide user base I could draw on when necessary.  

Now, as I said above, I have had some interest expressed in me making my app cross-platform (Win, Mac, Linux).  So I am looking for feedback about how realistic porting my app to Java would be, since I understand Java to be cross-platform.  I am not only interested in if Java, etc. can be useful, but how realistic is actually getting up to speed with it?  For instance, I do not believe it would be wise to try and become a C++ programmer at this stage in my life, but I think I still can learn.  

A lot of my apps I intend require dragging-n-dropping of objects and sprites in a window.

I'm looking for options.

PS - I am in the process of scouring the "what's the best language" threads on DC.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:36 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 06:10 PM »
@kyrathaba -
I may have found an answer in Real Studio (quasi-visual basic), I think?.  It is expensive (past the 30-day trial), but it might be just what I am looking for?  A couple of DC heavy-hitters are giving it a pretty good look and one has spent some cash on it.  It has a 90-day refund too.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:32 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Please note my NANY is already complete (as far as submission is concerned).  See "Last Edit" footer on my NANY page...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 12:34:40 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

Ah, my mistake then... it's because your Title still says "Pledge": it should say "Release"  :Thmbsup:

Now given....

I believe I have the ability to replace the existing *.rar with the new improved version as required; in fact, I believe that is encouraged.

True: the screenshots and evaluations included in the Final Wrap up all point back to you Entry Thread, so what ever is there is what visitors will get.

So any updates to your app are definitely beneficial -- The Wrap up gets spread to all sorts of different places so new visitors can come quite a deal later.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 09:42 PM »

Ah, my mistake then... it's because your Title still says "Pledge": it should say "Release"  :Thmbsup:

Nope, *my* mistake.  I must have missed the memo.  :P  FYI - I have corrected this on all my posts here that were applicable.

True: the screenshots and evaluations included in the Final Wrap up all point back to you Entry Thread, so what ever is there is what visitors will get.

So any updates to your app are definitely beneficial -- The Wrap up gets spread to all sorts of different places so new visitors can come quite a deal later.

Great!  Thanks for the comments. 

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 09:48 PM »
For instance, I do not believe it would be wise to try and become a C++ programmer at this stage in my life, but I think I still can learn.

I wouldn't rule that out just yet, it's a great language, and there are free versions of MSVS available from MS. Hell if I can figure it out - starting a bit late at 35 (then) - it can't be that hard... ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Running veggie squares, i could drag around the things but:
  • The program was running 27% cpu usage the whole time, making the rest of my computer pretty unresponsive
  • The radio boxes for grid size didn't do anything
  • I couldn't get anything else to happen

Is there something i'm missing or is this just the current state of the program?