topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 11:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Tray Management Utilities Mini-Review  (Read 98609 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tray Management Utilities Mini-Review
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I tried it as it looked interesting.  Definitely a no-go from me.  My feedback on uninstall:

Tried to to basic things with it and they didn't work, i.e. pressed hotkey and menu continually painted for 5 minutes freezing application, tried to access hidden application and could not, duplicated icons, and several other show stopper defects.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Looks like you've got the same issues that Scott was experiencing. Odd - I didn't experience any of them (Vista 64 bit). However, my use of the programme was always pretty simplistic - at no point in the past three years have I ever made use of hotkeys, minimizing apps to try, etc.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 09:00 AM »
But that seems pretty basic- I was just trying to clean up my tray notification area, so I set my applications to minimize to this program, then tried to access one of them, and it just disappeared- I could see it in the task manager, so it was still running, but I couldn't get it back until I pressed refresh menu on the app- then it reappeared, but I still couldn't get it to restore!  I tried several apps that way, and none of them worked...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Ah, I misunderstood what you meant by minimize to tray. That does sound basic. Out of curiosity, how did you set the applciations to minimize to tray? I don't have PS TrayFactory installed anymore so can't post screenshots of what I'm after, but there is an option to minimize apps to tray within it's options tab and I *thought* that's what you were referring to. Sounds like you simply checked the radio buttons to have your applications' icons hidden within PSTF's context menu. I should mention that for some reason the default is to have this visible on right mouse click (like a context menu), but that you can swap the mouse buttons, which is what I always did...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2009, 10:26 AM »
The applications that I'm talking about have their own functionality to minimize to tray- evernote, timetraces, tag everything, earthdesk, outlook, clipnote.  The ones I was playing around with were outlook, evernote, and timetraces.  By the time I tried it with three applications, I was done- if it had only been one application having a problem, I would have thought it was the application.  But three separate ones?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Hmm... I never tried sending Outlook to PSTF as it was and remains one of the icons that I always leave set to appear in the system tray. I did successfully use PSTray Factory to control evernote 2.2 though. Granted, that was PSTF version 2.3 under XP 32-bit...

If you're on Vista (are you?), as am I, I don't see much reason to bother trying to get PSTF to work. When I realised that PSTF 2.x didn't play with 64-bit OS's, I was forced to configure Vista to hide icons and found that it works really well - much better (ie more consistent and reliable) than the "Hide inactive icons" feature in XP.

Just my two-bits...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2009, 01:38 PM »
I'm not in Vista... it's not really a big deal; I never even thought about it before I saw this thread... being the software addict I am, I *had* to look at it.  :-[

It would probably be a cool addition, but nothing that I'm missing by not having it.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2013, 05:36 AM »
Is anyone still using PS Tray Factory on a Windows 7, 64-bit system? If yes, is it working alright? Would you have any other suggestions for a system tray replacement or extension?

In recent weeks my system tray has started acting up. It would stop displaying a whole lot of icons for software that are otherwise running. This is occurring randomly, i.e. after some rebooting or waking up the system tray either works properly or it doesn't.

All I need is a system tray that would do what the system tray is supposed to do, i.e. show all the icons for the software that are running with the system tray option, and allow me to select a few to be permanently pinned to the system tray part of the task bar. Basically my Win7 native system tray stopped working as it's supposed to.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2013, 07:15 AM »
Having just tried it, PS Tray Factory does exactly what I need. It's just a bit annoying that I'd have to shell out USD24.95 for making Window's tray do what it is supposed to be doing.

I checked on AlternativeTo and there don't seem to be many alternatives in this category...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2013, 07:34 AM »
In recent weeks my system tray has started acting up. It would stop displaying a whole lot of icons for software that are otherwise running. This is occurring randomly, i.e. after some rebooting or waking up the system tray either works properly or it doesn't.

I had that problem over the last couple of months with 7 x64 - seems to have stabilised now though FWIW. I did install a bunch of non-critical windows updates lately. Maybe one of them helped, but I really dont know.
Tom

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2013, 09:38 AM »
I did install a bunch of non-critical windows updates lately. Maybe one of them helped, but I really dont know.

Thanks for letting me know. My system is up-to-date though, bar the Bing Desktop, which probably not gonna fix it.  ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2013, 09:19 AM »
damn...i remember this review from waaaaay back.  holy cow.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2013, 10:22 AM »
...Basically my Win7 native system tray stopped working as it's supposed to. ...

If you have set the tray icons to be displayed by default, and yet some icons are still sometimes not displaying, then this is a recognised Win7 bug, to which a common workaround is to restart Windows Explorer.
You could do that (stop then start Windows Explorer) from the Windows Task Manager, or (better) use a utility called Restart Explorer:

how do you restart windows explorer?  The only way i know how is to crash it.

Open Task Manager
End explorer.exe process
File->New Task and enter explorer.exe

Or, try this: Add Restart Explorer to Context Menu which does the same thing in a more user-friendly manner.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Restart Explorer
I found this somewhere around the Net:

rebuild tray icons.bat
----------------------
@echo off
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
explorer.exe

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2013, 07:33 PM »
@rjbull: Ah, thanks, I knew there was a DOS command that could do it, but had forgotten what it was. I think I might put that batch into my AHK-L  file and remove Restart Explorer (one less program).
That is a powerful DOS command, per the taskkill /? enquiry:
Code: Text [Select]
  1. TASKKILL [/S system [/U username [/P [password]]]]
  2.          { [/FI filter] [/PID processid | /IM imagename] } [/T] [/F]
  4. Description:
  5.     This tool is used to terminate tasks by process id (PID) or image name.
  7. Parameter List:
  8.     /S    system           Specifies the remote system to connect to.
  10.     /U    [domain\]user    Specifies the user context under which the
  11.                            command should execute.
  13.     /P    [password]       Specifies the password for the given user
  14.                            context. Prompts for input if omitted.
  16.     /FI   filter           Applies a filter to select a set of tasks.
  17.                            Allows "*" to be used. ex. imagename eq acme*
  19.     /PID  processid        Specifies the PID of the process to be terminated.
  20.                            Use TaskList to get the PID.
  22.     /IM   imagename        Specifies the image name of the process
  23.                            to be terminated. Wildcard '*' can be used
  24.                            to specify all tasks or image names.
  26.     /T                     Terminates the specified process and any
  27.                            child processes which were started by it.
  29.     /F                     Specifies to forcefully terminate the process(es).
  31.     /?                     Displays this help message.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2013, 04:21 AM »
If you have set the tray icons to be displayed by default, and yet some icons are still sometimes not displaying, then this is a recognised Win7 bug, to which a common workaround is to restart Windows Explorer.
You could do that (stop then start Windows Explorer) from the Windows Task Manager, or (better) use a utility called Restart Explorer:

Thanks, Ian. I use Dopus, so maybe most of the time I'm not even aware that Explorer has crashed. I'll try Restart Explorer and see if things improve.

I kind of like what PS Tray Factory does and wish I could use that instead but unfortunately it does not work 100% on my Win7, 64-bit machine. Certain icons would just persist in the tray, even when I select them off, or there would be duplicates of some, with no way to deselect them. Plus some other glitches, which make me reluctant to shell out money for it.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Some random comments:

... I use Dopus, so maybe most of the time I'm not even aware that Explorer has crashed. I'll try Restart Explorer and see if things improve.

I kind of like what PS Tray Factory does and wish I could use that instead but unfortunately it does not work 100% on my Win7, 64-bit machine. Certain icons would just persist in the tray, even when I select them off, or there would be duplicates of some, with no way to deselect them. Plus some other glitches, which make me reluctant to shell out money for it.

Usually on my (WinXP) box in Explorer crashes, usually it takes everything with it into a system hang! So fortunately it's not that often! (Note to self one of these years I have to optimize MS Sec Essentials upon reboot!)

But as for the tray, I have 15 icons there but 11 of them I care about. So I guess I'm not in the market for these but I can see you hotshot types with 27 icons might want one! : )

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2014, 05:41 AM »

Thanks, Ian. I use Dopus, so maybe most of the time I'm not even aware that Explorer has crashed. I'll try Restart Explorer and see if things improve.

IainB, thanks once more for bringing "Restart Explorer" to my attention. It's great, it does fix my tray icon problem, and I use it all the time.

Which brings me to the question, why can't MS fix this bug then? Explorer on my system (Win7, 64-bit) seems to crash already during boot-up, pretty much every time. Considering that Explorer seems to be sort of central to Windows, I'm puzzled that this problem is persisting.

Has this been fixed in Win8?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2014, 09:51 AM »
If explorer is crashing on boot up every time- there's some conflict with your system.

Does it happen if you disable all start up items?

Does it happen in safe mode?

Those two will point out why explorer is crashing.  Easier if it's crashing when you disable all start up items.  Enable them one at a time.  See when it crashes.  And this isn't just items in the startup folder in the start menu- you'll need to look at registry and .ini and services.

Tedious, but it's the only way to know why its happening.

As far as why they haven't fixed it... /shrugs

Not a priority with other things?  Not as easy as it seems?

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Tedious, but it's the only way to know why its happening.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, that does sound tedious. I have some 20 items in the startup folder alone. As long as I don't reboot often, it's not a problem, so if there is no long term damage, using the "Restart Explorer" is currently a more attractive option...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2014, 12:55 PM »
One other bit of advice (that it's time for me to do right now... *sigh*) is to do spring cleaning on your installation every so often.  As you do it more, it will be less intrusive (getting rid of startup items you don't use is one big one)... but if you don't do it, sometimes its faster to just reinstall (that's what I need to do now... but it's very disruptive to say the least).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2015, 07:41 AM »

I had that problem over the last couple of months with 7 x64 - seems to have stabilised now though FWIW. I did install a bunch of non-critical windows updates lately. Maybe one of them helped, but I really dont know.

having this problem again more often (it never went completely).
Does not seem to be related to Explorer - Windows Explorer has not crashed - not that I noticed anyways, and it's running normally as I write, with one icon blank in the tray, and about six others not showing at all.

I dont want to hide all icons behind one icon, so PS Tray Factory sounds like (the only?) possible solution. But not having been updated in five years now and with dr_andus's report below, I think I'll pass on it and see if restarting explorer fixes...

Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2015, 10:38 AM »
Actually, I have noticed a few of my regular Systray icons episodically playing up and disappearing over the last few weeks. This is in Win8.1-64 PRO. I think it might be a minor new bug in the OS. In Personalisation Settings, the icons seem to have been reset to "not display". Restarting Explorer doesn't seem to always restore the icons either - it used to when I had a similar problem in Win7-64 HP.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:41 PM by IainB, Reason: Edited for clarification. »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2015, 12:29 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing but I just reinstalled Windows 7 and have had problems with icons not showing in the tray when I start up. Some googling found that this is an "intended feature" of Windows. Basically, Microsoft never thought Windows would start up as fast as modern hardware has allowed it to, so they hardcoded in a length of time upon booting in which, if any programs open up, their icons will not show in the tray.

The suggested solutions I found are to slow your computer down. Or wait a full minute after the OS boots before loading your startup programs (sounds like a good use for App's Lacuna Launcher from NANY 2009!). Or rebuild the icon cache. Or edit some DLL file to make Windows not so stupid about this.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2015, 01:36 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the same thing you are experiencing but I just reinstalled Windows 7 and have had problems with icons not showing in the tray when I start up. Some googling found that this is an "intended feature" of Windows. Basically, Microsoft never thought Windows would start up as fast as modern hardware has allowed it to, so they hardcoded in a length of time upon booting in which, if any programs open up, their icons will not show in the tray.

The suggested solutions I found are to slow your computer down. Or wait a full minute after the OS boots before loading your startup programs (sounds like a good use for App's Lacuna Launcher from NANY 2009!). Or rebuild the icon cache. Or edit some DLL file to make Windows not so stupid about this.

I didn't run W7 x64 for any length of time so I don't know if my issue with W8.0 x64 is the same.  What happened to me is just clicking the check box "show all icons and notifications" did not cause all the tray icons to show.  Every time I run a new program I seem to need to open the options, uncheck the show all check box, then individually set every icon to both thow icon and notification, then recheck the check box.

It may be easier to delete the icon cache using a batch file.  :)
The other thing that bugs me is how they jump around during startup.  If you want to click a tray icon while stuff is still loading you end up clicking the wrong one as the target is moving.  :)