topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linux based E-book reader with two touchscreens about to be released.  (Read 9811 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now that looks interesting. Granted I have no interest in buying an Ebook reader, but this "fits" nicely with my sense of "correctness" (screen is protected by design when closed).

I wonder how the keyboard input is handled? On screen I'm assuming (didn't see anything in Vid).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
i'm dying for a perfect ebook reader, but even for someone who loves a multi-monitor setup, this seems overkill to me..
for an ebook i'd prefer a single lightweight, thin, large (12+ inch) display.  but i look forward to reading more about it.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There's way too much (emphasis in marketing) cost involved in making things ultra thin. They are easier to break, more expensive due to the cutting edge tech involved in squeezing everything in a tiny package, and harder to cool - Read a book at the beach = Poof!

This thing is no thicker than an average (tree edition) book. and from a tactile stand point I'd say a bit nicer because of it (A book that's book like yet electronic).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That looks amazing! It's like every sci-fi story ever with children in the future with their own personal study tablets.

Almost makes me wish I was back in school again with one of these. . . almost.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
That looks really sexy! The video demo wasn't very impressive though. The Courier (R.I.P) video demo was simply amazing. If this can do half what the Courier demo did, it will be a very serious contender for the iPad for those that don't get sucked in by Apple's "Oh! But it's shiny and white!" marketing.

I wonder how it FEELS in your hands and if it is nice to read, like a real book. And when folded in half, does the second screen get protected? Didn't see that. I like to read with books folded back.

Anyways, thanks for posting that! :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
regardless of the success of this particular model -- those of us pining for more choices for really high quality full sized ebook readers should be encouraged.. i'm getting excited at the possibility that 2010 may be the year for me to buy an ebook reader.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I admit, it'd be great to have a tablet PC to carry around the house, in the car, in the big box hardware store to compare prices, and all number of things. If it also doubled as an ereader, all the more power to it. Can I get that with an i7 chip and 32Gb of RAM, though?
 ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I admit, it'd be great to have a tablet PC to carry around the house, in the car, in the big box hardware store to compare prices, and all number of things. If it also doubled as an ereader, all the more power to it. Can I get that with an i7 chip and 32Gb of RAM, though?
 ;)

Hahahaha~!

And a draft beer tap too~! :P (USB or Firewire is ok, just not wine! USB 1.1 is ok because I don't drink that fast anyways.)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This may turn some people off:

The Kno is heavy, and it probably has not much future as a luxury item, but for students it may well be what they need. Replacing a backpack filled with heavy books this could prevent anybody from taking the wrong books to school

http://www.handlewit...reen-e-reader-tablet

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Finally an e-reader with a large enough screen for us 45+ trying to avoid bi-focal glasses :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Finally an e-reader with a large enough screen for us 45+ trying to avoid bi-focal glasses :Thmbsup:

You reminded me about a customer of mine -- He's a music professor and most certainly doesn't need my software, but uses it for audio books because it has conveniences that you can't get in audio book players.

Anyways, point being that there are markets (like you mention) that really are under-serviced.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm still not sure about folding the thing over the back and using it like a spiral notebook. How do you keep the screen that would then be on the backside from getting scratched up?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm still not sure about folding the thing over the back and using it like a spiral notebook. How do you keep the screen that would then be on the backside from getting scratched up?

Same rules as a dead tree edition I guess ... Be careful where you set it down so you don't get goo on the pages.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Same rules as a dead tree edition I guess ... Be careful where you set it down so you don't get goo on the pages.
Do you mean to say that the back-screen doesn't blank & auto-revert like some car-audio stuff does when it is turned off??? :o :o :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Do you mean to say that the back-screen doesn't blank & auto-revert like some car-audio stuff does when it is turned off??? :o :o :D

The screen might go blank when it's folded over, but that won't protect it from getting scratched or anything. Then again, it might not blank out after all, since people may want to use that screen (especially Lefties) instead of the other one.