topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any Portable Tool to make a Portable Application.  (Read 8497 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any Portable Tool to make a Portable Application.
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:12 AM »
Hello folks,
           i will get straight to the point :P, i keep formatting my PC, every 2/3 times a week or in a 2 weeks time. Due to swapping Vista/Win7/Xp/Win 2000 and sometimes due to virus infection. I already h' an Image Back-up of my Drive, but old habits die hard.... :-[
 Then again i h' to start all over installing all the Application from scratch. MS-Office, Winrar , Winzip ,Notepad++ , Nero ,etc etc...are a must have in my PC. And installing other Programs which i use just for fun ,Pc Tweaking and hobby namely Photoshop Cs2 ,Video Converter ,Music Converter, Renamer , CCleaner , Registry Defragmenter etc etc...are some application i use sometimes,but i do use them.
Lately i m seeing a lot of potential in having a Program in a Portable version.Having them in a portable version seems not too bad. I made some Portables like CCleaner, Music, Video Converter etc etc..and the amount of time and Resource they comsume are almost same/normal to the real Program installed in the PC. Hope u'r understanding. :D
I m using UPX, Portable Apps Creation Master 1.6  a freeware to compress and make a portable version.
But the program.exe residing in a given Folder also contains,help, dll,uninstaller etc etc ....whole files that are created during the Installation of a given program. Is their any other Retail/Freeware version that can make a single exe file which can be launched from anywhere that portable application is.  
I tried making PSCS2 portable but it says the User Registration info is missing , PS is closing now. This is just an Example, their are a lots of PS CS3/CS4 in portable Version all over the Internet. 
Their are some other programs i want in portable version namely DiskDirector Suite, 3gp video Converter,Win Utilities and the list goes on and on......
I see it is good to h' them in Portable version, it can save a loooooot  of time for me  ;D
I reeeally want to h'a portable Photoshop Cs2 , u know how much time it takes to install n register the dam Programs... :tellme:

Can someone suggest tried and tested Tool of the trade for this,

Many Regards:
www.donationcoder.com :) :up:
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:17 AM by hulkbuster »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any Portable Tool to make a Portable Application.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05 AM »
It's up to the program you are attempting to make portable. If it interacts with the registry you can just move the executables into a folder on a USB and run it. If it interacts with the registry, you will need to jump through hoops. Otherwise the PortableApps installer should work just fine. The missing piece is that you can manually delete stuff you don't need before running the install creator. If you don't need a multi-megabyte help file, remove it.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:49 PM »
See the post here where I mentioned most of the available tools for creating portable versions of apps.

It may give you some ideas.

For PS-CS2, I'd probably give JauntePE, (follow the 12 step program), a go as it can monitor registry changes during program installation.

The last available build of JauntePE appears to be here: JauntePE

It appears to be a dead project which is a pity.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:56 PM by 4wd »

InstantFundas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Instant Fundas
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:43 PM »
Use Thininstall. It's pricey but creates a single executable file.

http://www.thinstall...ualization_suite.php

And it's tried and tested.
Instant Fundas - Freeware reviews, Web Apps, Tech News
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:45 PM by InstantFundas »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:47 AM »

"Pricey" is not the word I'd use to describe it.  Extortion comes close.

At US$6050 for a single license it is priced solely towards corporate users and not the normal PC user who just wants to make a application portable.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:15 AM »

I'm sorry, but that is not a portable app creator. It is application visualization. That is a sledge hammer to kill a fly. HUGE difference.

Although for corporate IT folks, application visualization is helpful for several use cases.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:32 AM »
<Self-Plug>
Also check out Portable Application Wrapper in the case that the executable is not in the root directory.  It basically launches any other program when it's launched- very useful when the menuing system you use for portable applications adds apps that are in the root of the apps directory.
</Self-Plug>

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:09 AM »
See the post here where I mentioned most of the available tools for creating portable versions of apps.
It may give you some ideas.
For PS-CS2, I'd probably give JauntePE, (follow the 12 step program), a go as it can monitor registry changes during program installation.
The last available build of JauntePE appears to be here: JauntePE
It appears to be a dead project which is a pity.
Thank u 4wd  :Thmbsup: that was a neat thread u started their,  i made quite a number of portables by ThinApp, now that's a Winner App. Its a good deal for a 60 day Trial for a $8,187.50 Program :( and re-setting is not a problem.:mrgreen:
JauntePE looks like a next big thing. Able to run/install Program in a Portable like container, instead the Program being installed in the PC, is really innovative.
 :deal:So far Jaunte was able to make Portable Active Desktop Calender, where Thinstall failed miserably. Both failed to make a fully functional Photoshop CS2, Disk Directoe Suite,UltraISo, ie., with the Option to set Virtual Drives
Anyways the most lousiest of all is the Portable Appication Createor Master 1.6, having to do all the things manually, where most of the time i get stuck witht the Aut2Exe v3, for compiling Script to Exe.  :mad:thats a real daunting task.
Portable Application Installer 1.91  , looks/work like Portable Application Master 1.6 in many ways,,,,,
My friend had a portable UltraISO which could enable users to set virtual Drives, the Directory/File layout lookded as it the person who made it used the FOrmat needed for Portable Application Installer 1.91
For Photoshop CS2 i used the old method, backing the Registry and copying the PS folder anywhere, but stilli get the user data missing: check the screenshot.

Can someone show a tried and tested method on how to make a Portable PS CS2. :huh:
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:18 AM by hulkbuster »