topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Blatant plagairism of CircleDock at DeviantArt  (Read 8730 times)

psychlone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Blatant plagairism of CircleDock at DeviantArt
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:20 AM »
Though you guys should know that this fine software is being passed off as someone else's work over at DeviantArt here: http://slipkiss.devi...ck-revolvin-99288651

I love this program, and only want Eric Wong to get the credit he deserves.

I also would like to give my sincerest thanks for creating the most useful tool on my desktop, as well as help to motivate the dev(s) to create some (even nightly) builds.
You've already got quite a few beta testers, and with Win7's circular dock obviously fallen through the cracks somehow, I think this could really be a huge benefit to users of ALL operating systems, not just Win7!

Psychlone

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Blatant plagairism of CircleDock at DeviantArt
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 12:31 AM »
Though you guys should know that this fine software is being passed off as someone else's work over at DeviantArt here: http://slipkiss.devi...ck-revolvin-99288651

I love this program, and only want Eric Wong to get the credit he deserves.

I also would like to give my sincerest thanks for creating the most useful tool on my desktop, as well as help to motivate the dev(s) to create some (even nightly) builds.
You've already got quite a few beta testers, and with Win7's circular dock obviously fallen through the cracks somehow, I think this could really be a huge benefit to users of ALL operating systems, not just Win7!

Psychlone

Views 31,884
Downloads 10,816

Holy sh!t.
Nice find!

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Use the Report Deviation link at the upper right on the page.  I also reported and sent a message to deviantART on Twitter.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:02 AM »
thank you for the report.
i notice in the last reply that he does say he isn't the author..
maybe this will wake up Eric Wong!! We'd love to hear from him.

psychlone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:37 AM »
^ Completed the report function on DeviantArt 30 seconds before I came and posted this thread.

I did see that at the very bottom of page 1, buried in the comments, that slipkiss did say he didn't write it...but that's not good enough.
IMO, THIRTY ONE THOUSAND views and TEN THOUSAND downloads stands out a whole lot more than his little comment that it's not actually his.

Dunno about you guys' opinions, but if Eric Wong had almost 32,000 extra views on this site, it may have made some extra money - I'd deal with some ads/banners on this site if it would spur Eric to get back on this project!!

Anyway, just looking out for one of my favorite softwares!  I hate to see people pass of stuff as their own when it's not...

Psychlone

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 12:48 PM »
Much appreciated psychlone  :up: :up:
Eric has a lot of fans -- including all of us here at DonationCoder.. And we await his triumphant return as well!

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:46 PM »
He should have at least gotten Eric's permission to post it.  He should also have a larger disclaimer that it is not his and offer contact info to the original author.  If anything, it is just common courtesy.

DrWicked

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Permission to post/redistribute Circle Dock is already given in the Circle Dock license (see license.txt file). Section 4 of the license deals with conveying verbatim copies of the software (which I think this is). It states:

4. Conveying Verbatim Copies.
You may convey verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice; keep intact all notices stating that this License and any non-permissive terms added in accord with section 7 apply to the code; keep intact all notices of the absence of any warranty; and give all recipients a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge any price or no price for each copy that you convey, and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee.

It looks to me that he has followed these terms although it would have been appropriate for him to state where it came from more prominently.

I have a version of Circle Dock that I modified for easier use with a touch screen that I considered making available, especially since Eric has been absent from this project for such an extensive time and it is unknown as to if or when he might return. Otherwise, I would just send him the code changes so he could incorporate them if he wanted. The changes I made are:

• Added a Toggle button which shows up on the desktop when the CD is dismissed. Click on the Toggle button to bring up CD. Use of Toggle button configurable in settings
  • Added code to insure Circle Dock on screen (changing resolutions can make position be off screen)
  • Option to show all labels all of the time unless "Show labels on Mouseover only" is checked (Eric had these in the UI but had not added code to make it functional)
  • Easier manipulation of CD items, including:
  • Drag and drop items onto dock folder from desktop
  • Drag and drop existing dock items to dock folder
  • Drag and drop dock folder to dock folder
  • Drag and drop existing item up one dock level
  • Delete by dragging item off of dock

Circle Dock is a very cool and useful program and I would like to see more development done on it. It would be great if Eric would come back.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:03 PM by DrWicked »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Looks like it has been taken down as of now...

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 07:17 PM »
Apparently the folks at DevArt heard the call and reviewed the post at the site.
Although they recognized that there was a note of this not being original work, they did feel it inappropriate.
As there have been no recent updates from the original builder, they have found this site and feel the software is still alive, and inappropriate credit was given to the original author.

This was there final decision with many unneeded apologies.
I was on the front lines with all of you.

My apologies for not being as active as I would like in these forums.
Rainmeter development and Forum Admin has me tied down.
I want to thank all the donationCoder members that have covered in my absence.

I want to thank all of you who posted the violation to DevArt and for supporting VIP his work.

As I have been reading an unofficial version with updates is available.
I have been working a little with this version, and I am very impressed, and I hope that folks that helped support CircleDock and VIP will also support this latest builder who wishes to expand on what our beloved VIP has built.

I know for many of us, it is hard to swallow, but I fear for the return of Mr. Wong, and after several moths of emails, maybe it is time to pass the rod onto a new builder or builders.
I will still await VIP's return, but I must also keep in mind the user of this spectacular piece of software, and it is well beyond time for it to move forward.

I welcome the new builder: Markham
I hope that all of you will do the same.

I can not guarantee that I will be around more often, but I am watching, and I will always have an interest, and I will help when I can.

Magis Esse
Sgt. E. V. McKay